What's new

"Makkah and Madinah News and Updates"

@Indos @Banu Hashim i think now these days most foreign students and scholars are in madinah.

Why do you think like that...? What school that is famous there....? Do you think Ulama (Islamic Scholars) in Madinah is better than in Makkah nowadays......?

After our independence, most of our Islamic scholars prefer Al-Azhar university to study

And I have a question for you, is Makkah under Ottoman kingdom prefers Shafii ? As I know Hejazi are Maliki follower (just read from wiki though). Since that Indonesian that I brought at this thread is a Shafii Imam

Why do you think like that...? What school that is famous there....? Do you think Ulama (Islamic Scholars) in Madinah is better than in Makkah nowadays......?

After our independence, most of our Islamic scholars prefer Al-Azhar university to study

And I have a question for you, is Makkah under Ottoman kingdom prefers Shafii ? As I know Hejazi are Maliki follower (just read from wiki though). Since that Indonesian that I brought at this thread is a Shafii Imam
its easier to study in madina. makkah is busy with hajj and umrah. madina is much more relaxed and has a better environment so its perfect for students specially international students.
its harder to live in makka cuz of hajj and umrah. but madina is very relaxing and more comfortable.
as for the math-habs or school i dont know much.
me my self i dont follow any specific math-hab. i say im muslim and thats it.
i liketo keep things easy. if there is anything regarding fatwa or rules i would read a bit about it and i would either chose what the majority of scholars agreed on or what is easier or sometimes i just follow my heart. when i say i follow my heart i dont mean i make up my own thing and come up with something new LOL. i mean after reading i would chose what my heart feels comfortable with if its regarding a minor thing in islam.
i really try to make it as simple as possible and not go into details cuz im not a scholar.
as they say in english "the devil is in the details"

im not an expert in al-azhar. but i dont think al-azhar is as good as madina islamic university. and its not as good as it use to be.
the reason i say this cuz its very clear these days al-azhar became weak unfortunately. and saudi is helping al-azhar become stronger and play a more positive role. specially after what happened in egypt. al-azhar was corrupted but inshallah that will get fixed soon.
another reason i say this. cuz i saw many many bad scholars coming out of al-azhar recently fabricating stories and fatwa in islam. and al-azhar had to denounce some of them. so that tells me they are not strict enough.
a 3rd reason i saw a guy from al-azhar teaching his international students how bad and evil wahhabis are.
when in fact there is no such thing as wahhabi. its fabrication. there is no sect or school called wahhabi. the word wahhabi is mainly used for political reasons.
so that means he was using his position for political reasons. and this is very dangerous. you are teaching islam you shouldn't brain wash your students with your own political views specially if they are false and fabricated

The Islamic University of Madinah is well-known and leading. There are many Islamic Universities in KSA to choose from.

Most Hijazis were/are Shafi'is or Malikis. Sufism was historically strong but is less strong/popular nowadays.

My father's family were/are Sunni Muslims of the Shafi'i fiqh.

@al-Hasani @Rakan.SA

This person from my region (West Sumatra, Indonesia) become prominent Ulama at Masjidil Haram before

Syaikh-Ahmad-Khatib-Al-Minangkabawi.jpg

Shaikh Ahmad Khatib a.k.a. Syekh Ahmad Khatib As Sambasy (1860 – 1916) was a Sambas,West Borneo Indonesian Islamic teacher. He was born in Koto Gadang, Agam Regency, West Sumatra on 6 Dzulhijjah 1276 H (1860 M) and died in Mecca on 8 Jumadil Awal 1334 H (1916 M). He served as the head (imam) of the Shafi'i school of law at the mosque of Mecca (Masjid al-Haram). Many Indonesian Islamic reformist leaders learned from him, including Ahmad Dahlan, as founder Muhammadiyah and Hasyim Asyari, as founder Nahdlatul Ulama.[citation needed].

Although Ahmad Khatib was an orthodox Sunni Muslim, he still hoped to reconcile the matrilineal system in Minangkabau with the laws of inheritance prescribed in the Quran. Through his Minangkabau students who studied in Mecca and well as those he taught in Indonesia, he encouraged a modified Minangkabau culture based on al-Quran and the Sunnah.

His son, Sheikh Abdulhameed Alkhateeb, was the first Saudi Arabian ambassador to the Islamic Republic of Pakistan. And his grand son, Fouad Abdulhameed Alkhateeb, was a Saudi Arabian ambassador, humanitarian, author, and businessman. In his capacity as a diplomat, he represented his homeland in Pakistan, Iraq, the United States of America, the Federal Republic of Nigeria, the Republic of Turkey, the People's Republic of Bangladesh, Nepal, and finally as Saudi ambassador to Malaysia.

Khatib was born on 26 June 1860 in Bukittinggi. His parents were Abdullatief Khatib and Limbak Urai. In 1870 he attended Dutch's school then continued his study to Kweekschool in Bukittinggi.[1]

Ahmad Khatib - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

There is a sizable native Indonesian community in Hijaz.

@Rakan.SA

The Islamic University of Madinah is well-known and leading. There are many Islamic Universities in KSA to choose from.

Most Hijazis were/are Shafi'is or Malikis. Sufism was historically strong but is less strong/popular nowadays.

My father's family were/are Sunni Muslims of the Shafi'i fiqh.

There is a sizable native Indonesian community in Hijaz.

Thanks for the answer for both of you, personally I am quite close with Saudi, some branch of my families staying there (100 % Native Indonesian) and become citizens, my grandmother lived in Saudi for quite long period when she was young, her family doing business there, and just came back to Indonesia to marry my grand father. Some of my grandmother family dont come back and staying there until now.

It's not about preferential treatment. It's about logic. Every head of state that visits Makkah and Madinah (regardless where he is from, his skin color, origin etc.) experiences more security than the average Muhammad, Ali or Ibrahim. This is only logical. Their presence alone causes attention. Like with other famous Muslims, clerics etc. that visit.

Tell that to those terrorists that stormed the Al-Masjid Al-Haram in 1979 or the Iranian terrorists (among the pilgrims) that smuggled explosives into Makkah in 1987.

Grand Mosque seizure - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

1987 Mecca incident - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It only takes 1 retard to do something stupid.

I completely understand your point and i am well aware of past events. Its logic to have a small amount of security not hundreds of guys with the vip. Their presence is not what causes most of the attention (i bet half the people don't even know who they are) but their security detail and special treatment i.e. closing sections for the rest of us.

With all the security etc i can guarantee you that if someone wanted to carry out such an attack again it wouldn't be hard.

brother there were in the past and still today many assassinations and killings. the place is sacred and holy ppl are not.
trust me you are very mistaken and wrong.
ppl live in makkah and madinah not angels. there are thieves killers drug dealers from all around the world. so what are you talking about ?!
if the prophet him self was going to get assassinated in makkah and madinah you think normal ppl wont ?!
omar and othman got assassinated in madinah!
you forgot the iranian attacks in makka in the 80's ?! more than 600 killed. another year the iranians got 52 kg of C4 explosives in makkah hidden inside pilgrims bags.
you forgot the attack on makkah by juhaiman and how many got killed inside the haram ?!
you forgot that muamar algaddafi the dead lybian president wanted to assassinate king abdullah in makkah ?!
im sorry brother but you are very naive and you dont know what you are talking about. not from a religious, political or security point of view. we know what cops deal with in makka and madinah so please just dont worry and leave it to us.

just a small story.. when i went hajj. i had a friend who is an officer. he told me they just caught a guy, i wont mention his nationality, who wanted to rape a girl. i can keep on telling you crazy stories. so you dont know anything my friend

Are you trying to compare the prophet to the tyrants of today who are given special treatment.

The prophet was targeted for being the messenger, i completely understand the people of makkah are not angels hence for those people you have something called a POLICE FORCE.

Again the sahaba can't be compared to tyrants, again they were assasinated for propogating islam.

Iranian attack or not. The point i made was not one of not having security but giving OTT security to VIPS and closing down sections for their passing.

SECURITY IS A MUST FOR MAKKAH. IT IS NOT A MUST FOR VIPS. THIS IS NOT NAIVETY.

IS THIS RIGHT:

IN MY EYES AND MANY OTHERS: NO.

I completely understand your point and i am well aware of past events. Its logic to have a small amount of security not hundreds of guys with the vip. Their presence is not what causes most of the attention (i bet half the people don't even know who they are) but their security detail and special treatment i.e. closing sections for the rest of us.

With all the security etc i can guarantee you that if someone wanted to carry out such an attack again it wouldn't be hard.

Are you trying to compare the prophet to the tyrants of today who are given special treatment.

The prophet was targeted for being the messenger, i completely understand the people of makkah are not angels hence for those people you have something called a POLICE FORCE.

Again the sahaba can't be compared to tyrants, again they were assasinated for propogating islam.

Iranian attack or not. The point i made was not one of not having security but giving OTT security to VIPS and closing down sections for their passing.

SECURITY IS A MUST FOR MAKKAH. IT IS NOT A MUST FOR VIPS. THIS IS NOT NAIVETY.

IS THIS RIGHT:

IN MY EYES AND MANY OTHERS: NO.
well im sorry brother but we are not here to please your eyes and many others! with all due respect you dont know 1% about makkah or the haram or whatever threats there may be. so you are not fit to give an opinion cuz your opinion is based on what ?! a youtube clip ?!
the fact that you said iranian attack or not that shows how ignorant you are. if you dont care for normal poor muslims lives who were targeted on those attacks why are you talking here ?! hundreds have been killed and it would have been 1000s if they managed to smuggle the 52kg of C4 explosives.

and regarding this video let me inform you what goes on.

1st his security dosnt stop ppl performing umrah. what so ever. im talking from experience here. not baseless opinion. so i know what im saying.

2nd the extra security is for opening the kaaba doors. even if there was no VIP. even if they just wanted to open the door for no reason there would be security around the doors and the kaaba. ppl come to makka and commit suicide there believing if they die in makka they will go to heaven. so do you understand what might happen if the kaaba doors are opened without security ?!
just few days ago a young Indonesian women committed suicide by jumping from the second temporary mataf floor to ground mataf floor. in front of everyone. she wasnt the first and unfortunately we know she wont be the last.

3rd in safa and marwa its even more easier for head of states cuz some floors are literally empty. as you saw in the video he was on the top floors. if you search youtube you will see ppl walking by his side and filming him. like many other leaders. no one gets stopped from performing his umrah. the only thing they do is have them inside a circle. thats it.

ppl might do such thing. but they would think a million times before doing such a foolish attempt. governments have tried and failed many times Allahuma laka alhamd.

sorry man you dont know what you are talking about AT ALL

well im sorry brother but we are not here to please your eyes and many others! with all due respect you dont know 1% about makkah or the haram or whatever threats there may be. so you are not fit to give an opinion cuz your opinion is based on what ?! a youtube clip ?!
the fact that you said iranian attack or not that shows how ignorant you are. if you dont care for normal poor muslims lives who were targeted on those attacks why are you talking here ?! hundreds have been killed and it would have been 1000s if they managed to smuggle the 52kg of C4 explosives.

and regarding this video let me inform you what goes on.

1st his security dosnt stop ppl performing umrah. what so ever. im talking from experience here. not baseless opinion. so i know what im saying.

2nd the extra security is for opening the kaaba doors. even if there was no VIP. even if they just wanted to open the door for no reason there would be security around the doors and the kaaba. ppl come to makka and commit suicide there believing if they die in makka they will go to heaven. so do you understand what might happen if the kaaba doors are opened without security ?!
just few days ago a young Indonesian women committed suicide by jumping from the second temporary mataf floor to ground mataf floor. in front of everyone. she wasnt the first and unfortunately we know she wont be the last.

3rd in safa and marwa its even more easier for head of states cuz some floors are literally empty. as you saw in the video he was on the top floors. if you search youtube you will see ppl walking by his side and filming him. like many other leaders. no one gets stopped from performing his umrah. the only thing they do is have them inside a circle. thats it.

ppl might do such thing. but they would think a million times before doing such a foolish attempt. governments have tried and failed many times Allahuma laka alhamd.

sorry man you dont know what you are talking about AT ALL

I'm not asking anyone to please anyone else. since when are you a security expert.

Don't care about normal people? where have i mentioned such an idea.

People come to makkah to commit suicide. LOL first i've heard of that, i'm sure people performing hajj/umrah know suicide is haram and = hell weather its in makkah or not.

You are still not getting my point, i will agree to disagree.

I'm not asking anyone to please anyone else. since when are you a security expert.

Don't care about normal people? where have i mentioned such an idea.

People come to makkah to commit suicide. LOL first i've heard of that, i'm sure people performing hajj/umrah know suicide is haram and = hell weather its in makkah or not.

You are still not getting my point, i will agree to disagree.
no lets agree that you are not fully aware of what goes on in makkah.

yes some ppl come to makkah and commit suicide! its not new

http://www.reporterpk.info/news/an-indonesian-woman-committed-suicide-inside-kaaba/

@Rakan.SA

Thanks for the answer for both of you, personally I am quite close with Saudi, some branch of my families staying there (100 % Native Indonesian) and become citizens, my grandmother lived in Saudi for quite long period when she was young, her family doing business there, and just came back to Indonesia to marry my grand father. Some of my grandmother family dont come back and staying there until now.

That's good to hear. Yes, many of the non-local communities marry within themselves as most locals prefer to marry other locals.
Although this is changing nowadays.

There are not hundreds of guys. Head of states do not represent themselves but whole nations. This is protocol and this was also the case during the Islamic era.

As @Rakan.SA mentioned then no pilgrim gets stopped from performing umrah or hajj. Important figures (mostly head of states) just enjoy security which is needed. To protect them from potential harm and to keep most masses away from disturbing them/drawing attention to them.

Most of the time the balance is right.

What he told you is also correct regarding suicide attempts as disturbing as it is.

Last edited:
That's good to hear. Yes, many of the non-local communities marry within themselves as most locals prefer to marry other locals.
Although this is changing nowadays.

Yes, the new generation which is in par with me start marrying other ethnic, like for instant one of my cousins marry local Saudi woman and the other get Pakistani ethnic women (meeting in USA maybe). One female in the family has already got engaged, but I dont know the ethnicity of her male yet.

Yes, the new generation which is in par with me start marrying other ethnic, like for instant one of my cousins marry local Saudi woman and the other get Pakistani ethnic women (meeting in USA maybe). One female in the family has already got engaged, but I dont know the ethnicity of her male yet.

Actually intermarriages between varies ethnicities have taking place for centuries but mostly among city dwellers or people not strongly affiliated with their clans, tribes, families etc.

In my family there are dozens upon dozens of intermarriages with foreigners as far back as 1300 years ago. We must remember that although people were conscious about their ethnicity nationality did not really exist and your religion took precedence over your ethnicity. Nowadays this has changed in most of the Muslim world.

Hijaz is actually one of the most cosmopolitan and ethically diverse regions in the Muslim world. This is in part what makes that ancient historical region great. The local Hijazi cuisine is a perfect example of that. You have influences from Arab cuisine (obvious), various ME cuisines, South Asian, South East Asian cuisines, Central Asian, European (yes!) and African cuisines. There is no such cuisine in the ME that has incorporated as many foreign influences as the one in Hijaz. Also this is a constant process even today as pilgrimages keep arriving in greater numbers to perform hajj and umrah.

You won't find a Hijazi that has not partial ancestry to nearby Levant, Egypt, Yemen etc. at some point back in time.

This is great to hear. As long as they find love and happiness.

Last edited:
From Makkah to Madinah

21WpUtgZdwL.jpg
31JGjE0niPL.jpg
21rWs0gBefL.jpg
216xvK4p0fL.jpg
31 Mars 2015

A new book uses GPS and GIS to trace the Prophet Muhammad’s route from Makkah to Madinah with increased accuracy

When the Prophet Muhammad fled persecution in Makkah he faced many obstacles in his search for safety at the city of Madinah.

From Makkah to Madinah, traces the journey, known as the Hijrah or migration, which became the start date for the Islamic calendar in the year 622 CE.

A Saudi geographer, Dr Abdullah Alkadi, has followed the Hijrah route in precise detail using GPS and GIS mapping technology. Working with an old friend, photographer Peter Sanders, the route has also been documented in photographs.

‘The most important thing in locating the exact route is finding the exact origin,’ says Alkadi. ‘I needed to see people from the original area, which means [people] who lived in those places and were born in those places. That would make sure that when I asked for certain information about landmarks for valleys, I would be able to get answers about those places.’

He found many people on the route still living traditional lives and sought out elders to find out what had been passed down about the Hijrah in lore.

‘I tried to find people who were as old as possible because they would have more information and would not be affected by technology and modernism,’ says Alkadi.

‘I discovered buildings, settlements, calligraphy and drawing on stones and rocks. People, when they travelled, tried to prove their presence by drawing or writing and those writings and drawings can be traced back to a thousand years or more,’ he adds.

While he made several archaeological finds on his journey, Alkadi’s most significant discoveries were ancient milestones.

‘In Muslim, Arab and other histories there is not agreement over the exact distance of a mile. When I came to working out the exact distance, the milestone markers helped me a lot to discover new locations and distances,’ says Alkadi.

‘The idea of the milestones goes back to the Greeks,’ he says. Alkadi compared the shapes with other examples from the Milestone Society in Cardiff. ‘You are dealing with human beings so you have the same thing. They were almost identical until machines were introduced,’ he says. The oldest milestone Alkadi found on his journey was traced back 1,300 years. Alkadi combined the milestones with statistical methods to predict where he would find the next one.

What kept Alkadi motivated was the quest for the truth, and providing a reliable account of the Hijrah. The journey was not without hardship though. ‘There were places where we got lost or where a snake came over my feet, or where there were wolves and foxes,’ says Alkadi. ‘Honestly, there were friends who travelled with me who think I’m crazy. Now my wife would see the pictures and she got mad at me: “Why am I doing that?”’

Pics inside:http://geographical.co.uk/people/cul...kah-to-madinah

a8d0ef5be4cf3931cfa015ddb11dde9d_XL.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom