What's new

Iranian Foreign Minister to Visit China

Shotgunner51

RETIRED INTL MOD
Reaction score
Country
China
Iranian Foreign Minister to Visit China
[URL='http://theiranproject.com/blog/tag/irandeal/']#IranDeal, Geng Shuang, zarif visit to China December 4, 2016[/URL]

Zarif-travel.jpg

Xinhua — Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif will pay an official visit to China from Monday to Tuesday at the invitation of his Chinese counterpart Wang Yi, Foreign Ministry spokesperson Geng Shuang announced Sunday.

Wang and Zarif will co-chair the first annual foreign ministers’ meeting, according to Geng.

During Chinese President Xi Jinping’s state visit to Iran in January, both countries agreed to set up an annual meeting mechanism as a part of efforts to deepen mutual strategic trust.

http://theiranproject.com/blog/2016/12/04/iranian-foreign-minister-visit-china/

Houthi delegation arrives in Beijing to meet Chinese government
By Paul Antonopoulos - 01/12/2016

1-4-jpg.357259

A delegation from the Yemeni Houthi Ansarullah movement has traveled to China to hold talks with senior officials over the conflict in the impoverished country exacerbated by the Saudi military aggression, PressTV reported.

At the invitation of the Chinese government, Houthi spokesman Mohammad Abdulsalam senior figures such as Hamza al-Houthi and Mahdi al-Mashat arrived in Beijing on Thursday to discuss resolving the conflict in Yemen with China's support and to help build relations.

China has consistently made calls that the crisis in Yemen, as well as Syria, should be resolved through political dialogue rather than military means.

Source: https://defence.pk/threads/houthi-d...meet-chinese-government.464400/#ixzz4RttZkIXE

Houthis wrap up meeting with Chinese officials in Beijing

December 1, 2016 at 5:24 pm | Published in: Middle East, News, Yemen

houthi-1-jpg.357260

An image of the members from Houthi rebel group

A delegation representing Yemen’s Houthi rebel group announced this morning that they visited China for three days and have met several Chinese officials, after the Houthi spokesperson Mohamed Abdelsalam was sent an official invitation.

Pro-Houthi Yemeni news outlet Al-Massirah said the delegation today concluded a three-day visit to China in which the majority of the discussion with Chinese officials was based on the current war raging in Yemen.

The Chinese Foreign Affairs Ministry has called for a cessation of hostilities in the country and to work towards a political solution to the conflict, while the Houthi delegation thanked Beijing for its support.

The Houthi delegation met Department of West Asian and North African Affairs Director-General Deng Li to discuss the humanitarian, military and political situation in Yemen.

Yemen has been locked in a bitter battle between Houthi rebels allied with forces loyal to ousted President Ali Abdullah Saleh and government forces led by President Abd Rabbuh Mansur Hadi, along with local tribes and resistance forces backed by the Saudi-led coalition. Nearly 60,000 people have been killed as a result of the conflict and more than three million have been displaced.

Source: https://defence.pk/threads/houthi-d...meet-chinese-government.464400/#ixzz4RttZkIXE

During Chinese President Xi Jinping’s state visit to Iran
If China could bring Iran into alignment with itself that would be a major strategic success by Xi Jinping. It indeed is difficult considering Iran's very ambivalent and at time conflicted behaviour but it still is country with enormous strategic potential.

Rouhani denounces extension of anti-Iran sanctions
2016-12-04 14:18:22 GMT2016-12-04 22:18:22(Beijing Time) Xinhua English

TEHRAN, Dec. 4 (Xinhua) -- Iran's President Hassan Rouhani said Sunday that recent U.S. vote for the extension of Iran Sanctions Act (ISA) is a clear violation of an international deal on Iran's nuclear issue, official IRNA news agency reported.

Rouhani called the vote "a blatant infringement" of the nuclear deal, saying that the U.S. president should not endorse it and "should use his authority to block it from being enforced."

He said that Iran will not tolerate the infringement of the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA), the nuclear deal, by any party involved in the contract, and will respond decisively.

Iranian senior officials have been voicing their criticism and concerns about the violation of the nuclear deal following the U.S. vote to extend the ISA for another 10 years.

The vote by the U.S. House of Representatives is endorsed by the U.S. Senate on Thursday, still has to be signed by the U.S. president to become a law.

The ISA was first adopted in 1996 to sanction Iran over its controversial nuclear program.

Rouhani stressed Sunday Iran's commitments to the deal, which put an end to Iran's disputable nuclear issue last year, calling it "an international document."

Iran and six world major countries,namely the Britain,China,U.S., Russia, France and Germany,reached an agreement on the Iranian nuclear issue in July, 2015 that puts Iran on the path of sanctions relief but more strict limits on its nuclear program.

The deal sets limits on Iran's nuclear activities as it will take Tehran at least one year to produce enough fissile materials for producing a nuclear weapon, and allows regular inspections of the facilities inside Iran.

In return,the U.S. and the European Union will suspend nuclear-related sanctions against Tehran.

Many members of the U.S. Congress had expressed deep concern over the deal, warning that Tehran could evade inspections and use the money from sanction relief to destabilize the region.

http://english.sina.com/news/2016-12-04/detail-ifxyhwyy0639350.shtml

If China could bring Iran into alignment with itself that would be a major strategic success by Xi Jinping. It indeed is difficult considering Iran's very ambivalent and at time conflicted behaviour but it still is country with enormous strategic potential.

Iran will cooperate with anyone (but not be "into alignment" with, we are aligned with ourselves) who wants to do so and who shares common interests. China and Iran have lots of economic (oil), military, trade (New Silk Road) and geopolitical (countering US hegemony) common interests, so I don't see why there should be any obstacles from Iran.

China is establishing friendly relations with almost all the countries it can including Iran and KSA. China wants a nice business with all so it is a clever move both by Iran and China. A few countries that may remain at logger heads with China in near and far future are Japan, USA, India and Taiwan...the rest have neutral to cordial relationship with China.

Very well said! I did interact with Iranians (one of them is naturalized American businessman) some years ago during construction of Tehran Metro, very nice and friendly people, wish China and Iran become close partners in broader context.

Last edited:
Iran will cooperate
Cooperation can be transient or long term. If it is the latter then one can call it alignment. You line up toward to common long term goal.

You might not know this but I am a well wisher of Iran and spent much time in my earlier days with Iranian's. However my feeling is Iran might cooperate with everybody but refuses to align. That is not a good recipe. Look your country has probably the second largest resources in the region, natures blessing yet Turkey has overtaken you. This is exactly because of the aloofness that Iran favours ever since Shah's demise. I am not saying you have to go see yourself like Shah did but there should be moderation in everything. You guy's I feel and no offence intended have gone OTT with the whole external policy since 1979. You need to move on. It would be terrific to see a booming Iran that puts the GCC to shame.

As long as you act like a victim of Western abuse and over compensate for the pre 1979 Iranian experiance and suspicious of everyone you will never get over the past.

Cooperation can be transient or long term. If it is the latter then one can call it alignment.
When I say we are aligned with our ourselves I mean that we will not accept any interference in our domestic affairs. We decide what we want to do, no one can tells us what to do.

We are ready and open to long term cooperation in the areas I have already mentioned. You might already know that Iran applied over 8 years ago to accede to the Shanghai Cooperation Organisation and here we are, Iran is still an observer. There have also been numerous articles discussing Iran joining BRICS.

Might I mention, however, the numerous times Iran has been let down by China. China voted against Iran in the UN Security Council. It played but a ceremonial role in the negotiations for the nuclear deal. In 1995, we signed a contract for C-802 missiles (later to become the Noor), which was cancelled under US pressure far before completion.

Yet I am yet to see what Iran has done to harm Chinese interests.

As long as you act like a victim of Western abuse

o_O

When I say we are aligned with our ourselves I mean that we will not accept any interference in our domestic affairs. We decide what we want to do, no one can tells us what to do.
I can't see any exceptionalism there - every sovereign country on earth strives for that.

We are ready and open to long term cooperation in the areas I have already mentioned. You might already know that Iran applied over 8 years ago to accede to the Shanghai Cooperation Organisation and here we are, Iran is still an observer. There have also been numerous articles discussing Iran joining BRICS.
Very good.

Might I mention, however, the numerous times Iran has been let down by China. China voted against Iran in the UN Security Council. It played but a ceremonial role in the negotiations for the nuclear deal. In 1995, we signed a contract for C-802 missiles (later to become the Noor), which was cancelled under US pressure far before completion.
Maturity. For a old civilization you should be wise to the ways of the world. At present and for some time into the future USA is the sole superpower on earth. It enjoys huge military and even more economic leverage. This is something every country trying to chart a way forward must be mindful of. China has shown the way to move forward following the path of least resistance. Why oh why must you make that path difficult or long and protracted when you have millions of your citizens who need to to be lifted to the level of first world.

When and that will happen China reaches a point on the zenith, then will she be able to fully chart policy that instead of deviating from the behemoth that is USA she will make others deviate. Therefore to the point you raised no country on earth at the moment can stare eye ball to eye ball with USA without hurting it's development. China in the circumstances you highlighted did no differant from India, that is often touted by Indian's as Iran's other brother from another mother or Russia.

Therefore to expect China to behave any differant from Russia or India is unfair to that country. However that said there is one fundamental thing you need to recognize. Whereas India is moving toward being a moon that orbits the US planet and Russia's future is also uncertain. But China is without a quiver of doubt heading to challange USA and help the world to move toward a multipolar word. This is without doubt as you can see as I believe the Chinese economy this year hit the same size as US and increasingly will lead ahead which will give legs to the Chinese military to throw shadow across the globe that competes with US hegemony. This will happen and there is no doubt about this and this is something that Iran should be betting on as this horse is going to end up winning the races by 2050.

Indeed the result of rise China is already benefiting Iran. There is some evidence that points to US having moved to agree with Iran on the nuclear deal because of Chinese indirect pressure. American's new every year forward China is becoming less pliable to US and it's dependancy on Iranian oil will in future make it more resistant to agreeing to any drastic measures against Tehran. In a sense the nuclear deal was thanks to rise of China. Without the China factor US would have had a playing field all to it's own and would kicked the ball wherever it wanted to.

The China Factor

"From a narrow Russian perspective, the deal threatens to create yet another steady stream of oil and gas onto the world market at a time when depressed energy prices are already threatening the Russian economy. With that disadvantage in mind, the deciding factor was likely the Chinese one. The Chinese wanted the deal for their own reasons and Vladimir Putin, for all of his bluster, is in no position to resist them".

Link > https://www.brookings.edu/blog/orde...-factor-in-russian-support-for-the-iran-deal/

Given the fact that China is the only country on earth which will offer another alternative to the unipolar world dominated by USA I am really surprised by Iranian behaviour. Sense and common sense would suggest that the best option for Iran is to tie itself with the country most resistant to US pressure - which over time will become even more resistant until reaching a point where it creates another pole to create a multipolar world.

Instead I see Iran like victim of Stockholm complex that one minute hates the USA and then in another is lining up to buy Boeing jets from it. If Iran invested all it's energy in China it would given it's huge resources create a huge purchase in Chinese policy. Saudia Arabia does this but with USA. Why do you think they buy all those billions of dollars in arms. Thet can't even fight the rebels in Yemen. They do this to buy influence inside USA so that that country is obliged to look after it.

Iran does not need to go that level with China but it can create a interest that weighs sufficient on Beijing that she will increasingly defend obliged by it's own self interest.

Last edited:
I can't see any exceptionalism there - every sovereign country on earth strives for that.

But as it can be seen, not all countries can achieve it. Iran itself before 1979 was a prime example, while modern day examples include US and Germany/Japan, Russia and the post-Soviet republics, etc.

Why oh why must you make that path difficult
I never said we should, but not a month goes past in the US without a Republican trying to push legislation that would intentionally violate the nuclear deal. They only recently voted to renew a 20 year old sanctions bill against Iran that passed 99-0. However much we try to cool it like China did, they can't give up their insatiable desire to subjugate, contain and kill.

upload_2016-12-4_22-40-28.png

There is some evidence that points to US having moved to agree with Iran on the nuclear deal because of Chinese indirect pressure.

I must refute this. China had very little effect on the nuclear deal, they barely took part in the negotiations. The few times their FM turned up was mostly to sign something or be in a press conference, then he flew off again. And of course they voted for the UN sanctions.

If Iran invested all it's energy in China
Yet you have still abstained from saying what this "energy" actually is. We accept and encourage so much Chinese investment and trade, to the point where we see Iranian officials complaining that we are importing too much from China and that Chinese cheap imports are harming our domestic industry. What on earth more do you expect us to do? Keep in mind that, unlike Saudi Arabia, we are not ready to accept any foreign military bases on our soil, nor troops, nor are we prepared for our arms industry to comprise of a few ammunition factories. We want to be independent and strong, while cooperating with anyone who is ready to cooperate with us seriously. But we do not want to sell ourselves out to anyone.

You know it struck me now. Mullahs in Iran, Mullahs in Pakistan, Mullahs in UK mean only one thing. Bad, bad, real bad news. They seem to have corrosive effect on reason and rationale.

Anyway my best wishes to Iran.

You know it struck me now. Mullahs in Iran, Mullahs in Pakistan, Mullahs in UK mean only one thing. Bad, bad, real bad news. They seem to have corrosive effect on reason and rationale.
:what:

So I'm a mullah now? Or I'm brainwashed by a mullah? What is wrong with wanting your country to be independent? I never said I am against cooperation based on mutual respect, its when one side becomes a client/vassal state or is dependent on the other where I disagree with.

Back
Top Bottom