What's new

Indigenous Shahed-216 attack Helicopter Project revealed for first time

Guys i have one big question for you .
What is the superior feature in shahed-216 that makes it so important for you ?
(compared to Tofan-2)

NOTHING!
your response lie in features that is mentioned in this photo:

p2k0_shahed-216.jpg

i'm dying to see muharram machine gun in helicopter designs. does anyone know exactly why no one is using muharram in their designs? at least we could send some to syria with those safirs. combination of that and a well built attack helicopter would make a bada$$ equipment for urban warfare

i'm dying to see muharram machine gun in helicopter designs. does anyone know exactly why no one is using muharram in their designs? at least we could send some to syria with those safirs. combination of that and a well built attack helicopter would make a bada$$ equipment for urban warfare
I think we are all going to see it or something similar as a point defense for naval units. I had hear rumors that the system design has already begun.

i'm dying to see muharram machine gun in helicopter designs. does anyone know exactly why no one is using muharram in their designs?

Generally Gatlings are too heavy to use in helicopters also lack of precision is another negative factor

at least we could send some to syria with those safirs.

Unlike DSHK or Z-23 , muharam is not battle proven , the worst thing you want in the middle of battle is a jammed MG

i am not impress at all, iranien brothers you can do batter then that..................:(

Wow! I love that KGB style moderation....

----------------------------

Guys i have one big question for you .
What is the superior feature in shahed-216 that makes it so important for you ?
(compared to Tofan-2)

NOTHING!

It seems Mr Goebbels , that crazy tank lover is still works hard to provide the fanboys with it's latest imaginary drawings and posters

anyway .
yes there are 5 working prototypes

... :coffee:

i am not impress at all, iranien brothers you can do batter then that..................:(

5-jpg.235867

In terms of armaments , fire power , number of crews , weapon load and avionics the two choppers are the same

notice that i am comparing the new 216 with 40 years old Ah-1J
If i compare the 216 with upgraded cobra (tofan-3) , really 216 has no chance against it

Please compare it yourself...

Cobra:

• Crew: 2: pilot, co-pilot/gunner
  • Capacity: (3,021 kg)
  • Length: (17.8 m)
  • Rotor diameter: (14.6 m)
  • Height: (4.37 m)
  • Disc area: (168.0 m²)
  • Empty weight: (5,580 kg)
  • Useful load: (2,620 kg)
  • Max. takeoff weight: 18,500 lb (8,390 kg)
  • Powerplant: 2 × General Electric T700-GE-401C turboshaft, 1,800 shp (1,340 kW) each
  • Rotor systems: 4 blades on main rotor, 4 blades on tail rotor
Performance

• Never exceed speed: (255 mph, 411 km/h)
  • Cruise speed: (184 mph, 296 km/h)
  • Range: 685 km
  • Service ceiling: 20,000+ ft (6,000+ m)
  • Rate of climb: (14.2 m/s)
Armament

• Guns: 1 × 20 mm (0.787 in) M197 3-barreled Gatling cannon in the A/A49E-7 turret (750 round ammo capacity)
  • Hardpoints: Up to 6 pylon stations on stub wing
  • Rockets: 2.75 in (70 mm) Hydra 70 or APKWS II[33] rockets – Mounted in LAU-68C/A (7 shot) or LAU-61D/A (19 shot) launchers
  • Missiles:
    • AIM-9 Sidewinder air-to-air missiles – 1 mounted on each wing tip station (total of 2)
    • AGM-114 Hellfire air-to-surface missiles – Up to 16 missiles mounted in four 4-round M272 missile launchers, two on each wing

Shahed:

p2k0_shahed-216.jpg

better to go with MOD's tofan project rather than imaginary useless projects like shahed

Last edited:
In terms of armaments , fire power , number of crews , weapon load and avionics the two choppers are the same

notice that i am comparing the new 216 with 40 years old Ah-1J
If i compare the 216 with upgraded cobra (tofan-3) , really 216 has no chance against it

Regarding armament and fire power and weapons load, Shahed-216 is clearly superior to original AH-1J

AH-1J

empty weight: 2,998 kg

max loaded weight: 4,540 kg

Which leave around 1,500 kg for weapons load, armaments and fuel

Shahed 216

Empty weight: 5,000 kg

max loaded weight: 7,470 kg

which leaves around 2,500 kg for weapons load and etc.

Shahed 216 is clearly superior to AH-1J with around 1,000 kg more load, Armaments too should be more advanced with the presence Sadid type missiles and Iran's advances in building laser guided ATGMs.

I am really surprised that you have mentioned the number of crews because both these helicopters have 2 crews.

Also we don't know anything about the Shahed 216 avionics , but we can be completely sure that it will be superior to AH-1J with Iran's advancement in optics, FLIRs and etc.

Shahed 216 has a much higher service ceiling

AH-1J service ceiling: 3,215 m

Shahed 216: 6,200m

Actually the only negative thing that you could say about Shahed 216 is its low rate of climb which is still superior to the original AH-1J but it is still low.

Shahed 216 rate of climb: 6.3 m/s

Original AH-1J rate of climb: 5.5 m/s

Shahed 216 max speed is also a little low but is on par with AH-1J and T-129, but clearly inferior to AH-1W and AH-1Z.

Shahed 216 mas speed: 270km

Ah-1J max speed: 282km

T-129 max sped: 278km

These numbers are a little surprising because the total output of the engines is around 4,000hp, although the engine is not the only factor for speed and rate of climb, also what is presented in this catalog is only the conceptual design, its final design(and even possibly the specs presented) will be radically different in the final design.

Also you mentioned the low budget in a previous, this project is for IRGC so I don't think there will be a problem in that regard, I am sure that if Shahed 216 proves to be satisfactory, it will be mass produced due IRGC considerable financial assets .

As you mentioned, Army Aviation Yal ali industries and MODAFL have another project which is more in line with AH-1 family.

Last edited:
Regarding armament and fire power and weapons load, Shahed-129 is clearly superior to original AH-1J

AH-1J

empty weight: 2,998 kg

max loaded weight: 4,540 kg

Which leave around 1,500 kg for weapons load, armaments and fuel

Shahed 216

Empty weight: 5,000 kg

max loaded weight: 7,470 kg

which leaves around 2,500 kg for weapons load and etc.

Shahed 216 is clearly superior to AH-1J with around 1,000 kg more load, Armaments too should be more advanced with the presence Sadid type missiles and Iran's advances in building laser guided ATGMs.

I am really surprised that you have mentioned the number of crews because both these helicopters have 2 crews.

Also we don't know anything about the Shahed 216 avionics , but we can be completely sure that it will be superior to AH-1J with Iran's advancement in optics, FLIRs and etc.

Shahed 216 has a much higher service ceiling

AH-1J service ceiling: 3,215 m

Shahed 216: 6,200m

Actually the only negative thing that you could say about Shahed 216 is its low rate of climb which is still superior to the original AH-1J but it is still low.

Shahed 216 rate of climb: 6.3 m/s

Original AH-1J rate of climb: 5.5 m/s

Shahed 216 max speed is also a little low but is on par with AH-1J and T-129, but clearly inferior to AH-1W and AH-1Z.

Shahed 216 mas speed: 270km

Ah-1J max speed: 282km

T-129 max sped: 278km

These numbers are a little surprising because the total output of the engines is around 4,000hp, although the engine is not the only factor for speed and rate of climb, also what is presented in this catalog is only the conceptual design, its final design(and even possibly the specs presented) will be radically different in the final design.

Also you mentioned the low budget in a previous, this project is for IRGC so I don't think there will be a problem in that regard, I am sure that if Shahed 216 proves to be satisfactory, it will be mass produced due IRGC considerable financial assets .

As you mentioned, Army Aviation Yal ali industries and MODAFL have another project which is more in line with AH-1 family.

Easy dude easy .... shahed-129 ? ... it's an UAV

We are not gonna produce any 40 years old ancient AH-1Js .
we must put those Ah-1Js in museum:lol:

Lets compare it with ah-1z (also with 4 rotors and 2 powerful engine like 216) which is equivalent of Iran's Tofan 3 (hopefully)

My point is lets upgrade what we have experience in it rather than starting from ground up..

Cobra:

• Crew: 2: pilot, co-pilot/gunner
    • Capacity: (3,021 kg)
    • Length: (17.8 m)
    • Rotor diameter: (14.6 m)
    • Height: (4.37 m)
    • Disc area: (168.0 m²)
    • Empty weight: (5,580 kg)
    • Useful load: (2,620 kg)
    • Max. takeoff weight: 18,500 lb (8,390 kg)
    • Powerplant: 2 × General Electric T700-GE-401C turboshaft, 1,800 shp (1,340 kW) each
    • Rotor systems: 4 blades on main rotor, 4 blades on tail rotor
Performance

• Never exceed speed: (255 mph, 411 km/h)
    • Cruise speed: (184 mph, 296 km/h)
    • Range: 685 km
    • Service ceiling: 20,000+ ft (6,000+ m)
    • Rate of climb: (14.2 m/s)
Armament

• Guns: 1 × 20 mm (0.787 in) M197 3-barreled Gatling cannon in the A/A49E-7 turret (750 round ammo capacity)
    • Hardpoints: Up to 6 pylon stations on stub wing
    • Rockets: 2.75 in (70 mm) Hydra 70 or APKWS II[33] rockets – Mounted in LAU-68C/A (7 shot) or LAU-61D/A (19 shot) launchers
    • Missiles:
      • AIM-9 Sidewinder air-to-air missiles – 1 mounted on each wing tip station (total of 2)
      • AGM-114 Hellfire air-to-surface missiles – Up to 16 missiles mounted in four 4-round M272 missile launchers, two on each wing

Source: Indigenous Shahed-216 attack Helicopter Project revealed for first time | Page 3

Last edited:
No
In IR-140 for most of the fight( except takeoff) the stress and weight is on the wing of the airplane but in vertical climb vehicles like helicopters you have steady pressure and stress on the engine itself which is demanding a good and reliable power-plant
I believe you are wrong on this.

Back
Top Bottom