What's new

India to deploy Sukhoi-30 jets on Pakistan border

what do you mean by PAF has no mid-course correction capability?
all it needs is link 16 which both the F-16 and Erieye has.

Guess what even Rafale does not incoporate mid course correction for meteor, whereas Typhoon and Gripen have it.

but isn't amraam is an over rated missile which has record of killing only aircrafts flown by smaller airforces which were not trained properly. Not with professionally trained airforces like IAF.

Why do you make an exception for the IAF? Have IAF aircraft not been shot down by the PAF in the past wars (and vice versa)? So how would IAF spring a miracle now and avoid being impacted/harmed by the AMRAAM?

AMRAAM without a shadow of doubt is the most tested, evaluated and used BVR missile in the market right now. Even others like Derby, Meteor, MICA etc. have not been tested as thoroughly as the AMRAAM (not suggesting that others have not been tested, but just not as rigorously as the AMRAAM).

im sure u meant IAF and PAF

No there is only one Air Force at the pinnacle of excellence and professionalism and that is the IAF...others are just wasting their time pretending to be Air Forces :P :rolleyes:

I didn't mean that no IAF plane will go down with AMRAAM, definitely its a very good missile but I feel it is too overrated as most of the kills are scored over the planes which were wither having no ECM or very limited ECM capability.

No there is only one Air Force at the pinnacle of excellence and professionalism and that is the IAF...others are just wasting their time pretending to be Air Forces :P :rolleyes:

Yes you are very much correct.

I didn't mean that no IAF plane will go down with AMRAAM, definitely its a very good missile but I feel it is too overrated as most of the kills are scored over the planes which were wither having no ECM or very limited ECM capability.

Most of the IAF aircraft did not even have Self-protection suites (RWRs etc) up until recently (I know they have been upgraded but to assume that simply by virtue of having ECMs, you are secure is not reality). I would not discount AMRAAM so easily.

The words of Cdr Randy Cunningham (USN) come to mind (although he was referring to a SAM, the same would go for a WVR or BVR AAM):

"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, to describe what goes on inside a pilot's gut when he sees a SAM get airborne. "

Yes I know. I just hope you all feel that way ;)
There is no point that what one person "feels". Anyway the results will be known only in real combat which anyway not near in sight. My only point was that amraam is doesn't give 100% kill guarantee for that matter no missile gives.

There is no point that what one person "feels". Anyway the results will be known only in real combat which anyway not near in sight. My only point was that amraam is doesn't give 100% kill guarantee for that matter no missile gives.

I agree that there is nothing that gives a 100% performance. However seekers and ECCM on the AAMs differ. Some incorporate better technology due to more intense research, are more thoroughly tested etc. etc. So the chances that they would perform at a better rate are higher.

In any case, if IAF were to go for SH, you can bet that IAF would love to get AMRAAMs and nothing else.

IAF south western Air command

Airbase Pune - Lohegaon
Aircraft/Squadron
MKI--------Lightnings
-----------Rhinos
-----------?? ??
thats 3 SQD of MKI up-to-date!
Their primary role..
Air support for IN and maritime roles. Thus having hands off total air superiority over PAF southern air command!

2 Sukhoi-30 MkI combat jets for maritime roles. While the exact date of induction of the Su-30 MkIs in the naval scheme of things is not yet known, pilot of the Number 20 Squadron, which flies the Su-30 MkIs from Lohegaon base, told TNN: “Training is under way.”
New Sukhoi Su-30 MKI Squadron To Be Stationed At Lohegaon Base, Pune

Currently IAF has about 17 sqd of mix old MIG fleet and this is likely to be replaced by even more capable MRCA then MKI! so expect 7-10 sqd of new MRCA stationed in IAF South western air command in 10 years! With another 3 sqds on IN aircraft carriers...

only one PAF air base in southern air command!
and that equipped with old 60s upgraded mirages III and V..

my say is...
PAF builds another airbase in Sindh. 3 JF-17 sqd and 2 F-16 sqd are stationed in southern air command with 1 advanced MRCA for PN. most likely... Su-34, or Rafale M for maritime roles while 1 sqd of FC-20 primarily for air supporting PN fixed wing fleet.

a line of up fighters is a very risky tactic, just think if Pakistan in war time comes to know abut the line up of Su-30's or anyother aircraft, the response wuld be a few Babur cruise missiles or Ra'ads to these airfields, this wuld easily finish these fighters, i think PAF shuld never line up fighters close to the border like IAF is doin, they shuld be kept away from each other in fortefied bunkers.

But i like the pictures, thanks 23march for postin the pics.

a line of up fighters is a very risky tactic, just think if Pakistan in war time comes to know abut the line up of Su-30's or anyother aircraft, the response wuld be a few Babur cruise missiles or Ra'ads to these airfields, this wuld easily finish these fighters, i think PAF shuld never line up fighters close to the border like IAF is doin, they shuld be kept away from each other in fortefied bunkers.

But i like the pictures, thanks 23march for postin the pics.

Pune is not really close to pak-border but at least 300 km away.. i am pretty sure that in war times these $40+ million planes wont be lined up and so close to each other, Pune AFB does not even have (HAS or PAS) and if somehow our F-16s do make it pass IA air defence "very unlikely" then it will be history for MKIs.:guns:

Back
Top Bottom