What's new

India to deploy Sukhoi-30 jets on Pakistan border

I'm aware of the mid-course correction that you are referring to. Not all operators of the AMRAAM have that technology. I know the USAF and the RAF does. But does Pakistan have that technology? I doubt so, because if the PAF was in possession of such advanced technology, it would have been announced. Further, Pakistan has only recently gone ahead with its AWACS program.
Also the target details can be updated mid way by the AWACS or the aircraft that launched the missile.
But the AWACS does not "guide the missile," per se.

Buddy just google Pakistan AMRAAM and you will find many links...:enjoy:
Here its a indian website link.

WASHINGTON: Pakistan is procuring 500 Advanced Medium-Range Air-to-Air Missiles (AMRAAM) and 200 Sidewinder missiles from American defence and aerospace systems supplier Raytheon, the company said on Friday.
Pakistan has formally signed a letter of offer and acceptance with Raytheon to get 500 AIM-120 AMRAAM and 200 AIM-9M Sidewinder air-to-air missiles. This will be the first procurement agreement between the two.

"The combined $284 million procurement augments Pakistan's established inventory and will provide the bulk of the air-to-air fire power of the Pakistan Air Force," the company said in a statement here.
"This is the largest single purchase of AMRAAM missiles in the history of the AMRAAM international programme," said Brock McCaman, vice-president of Raytheon Missile Systems' Air-to-Air product line.
The delivery of the missiles is expected to start in 2008 and go through until 2011. Last June, the Pentagon announced a major package for Islamabad under the Foreign Military Sales Programme that included 60 F-16 Mid-Life Update Modification Kits.

Buddy just google Pakistan AMRAAM and you will find many links...:enjoy:
Here its a indian website link.

WASHINGTON: Pakistan is procuring 500 Advanced Medium-Range Air-to-Air Missiles (AMRAAM) and 200 Sidewinder missiles from American defence and aerospace systems supplier Raytheon, the company said on Friday.
Pakistan has formally signed a letter of offer and acceptance with Raytheon to get 500 AIM-120 AMRAAM and 200 AIM-9M Sidewinder air-to-air missiles. This will be the first procurement agreement between the two.

"The combined $284 million procurement augments Pakistan's established inventory and will provide the bulk of the air-to-air fire power of the Pakistan Air Force," the company said in a statement here.
"This is the largest single purchase of AMRAAM missiles in the history of the AMRAAM international programme," said Brock McCaman, vice-president of Raytheon Missile Systems' Air-to-Air product line.
The delivery of the missiles is expected to start in 2008 and go through until 2011. Last June, the Pentagon announced a major package for Islamabad under the Foreign Military Sales Programme that included 60 F-16 Mid-Life Update Modification Kits.

I'm aware of these purchases but am yet to come across a source which states that the PAF has mid-course correction capability for the AMRAAm it employs.

If you know any source, please provide me with a link.

I'm aware of these purchases but am yet to come across a source which states that the PAF has mid-course correction capability for the AMRAAm it employs.

If you know any source, please provide me with a link.

what do you mean by PAF has no mid-course correction capability?
all it needs is link 16 which both the F-16 and Erieye has.

I'm aware of the mid-course correction that you are referring to. Not all operators of the AMRAAM have that technology. I know the USAF and the RAF does. But does Pakistan have that technology? I doubt so, because if the PAF was in possession of such advanced technology, it would have been announced. Further, Pakistan has only recently gone ahead with its AWACS program.

Also the target details can be updated mid way by the AWACS or the aircraft that launched the missile.

But the AWACS does not "guide the missile," per se.

I think everyone is getting carried away with the extreme ranges of the BVR engagement envelope. Most BVR engagements at 90-100 km ranges would be duds. Even currently, the known BVR engagements that have been recorded have been at ranges that even some of the WVRAAM can get to. The farther you are, the better the chance that the target can simply escape (as long as it has effective MAWS/RWR etc. etc.)

I think the point to take away is that both PAF and IAF would have credible standoff engagement capability. Its hard to say under what circumstances such extreme engagements would take place and what the outcome would be.

I think everyone is getting carried away with the extreme ranges of the BVR engagement envelope. Most BVR engagements at 90-100 km ranges would be duds. Even currently, the known BVR engagements that have been recorded have been at ranges that even some of the WVRAAM can get to. The farther you are, the better the chance that the target can simply escape (as long as it has effective MAWS/RWR etc. etc.)

I think the point to take away is that both PAF and IAF would have credible standoff engagement capability. Its hard to say under what circumstances such extreme engagements would take place and what the outcome would be.

I second your opinion.

what do you mean by PAF has no mid-course correction capability?
all it needs is link 16 which both the F-16 and Erieye has.

Merely having a data link is not enough. I've mentioned earlier, only some air forces in the world have this capability. There are many who have not opted for it. May be the PAF has it, may be it does not. My speculation is that the PAf does not have this capability.

Further, PAF AWACS have just been ordered. They are at least 2 years away from induction.

If you think that the PAF has this capability, can you please provide me with a link? I've been unable to find one.

Further, I'm not trying to undermine the PAF.

The PAF might already be implementing an immediate counter to the MKI threat in the form of its F-16s by finally making full use of the infrastructure available. AFM reported that USAF agreed to transfer its F-16C/Ds - mostly Block-20/25/30/32 to PAF. Given that PAF is already raising the F-16C/D's infrastructure, a mass transfer of those USAF C/Ds should not be a surprise. The ones in good condition can be given the CCIP upgrade - and the bad ones as spare-parts.

We shouldn't discount additional new-build orders as the Block-50/52+ line is being stretched well past 2010 - thanks to the Romanian prospect. Nonetheless the PAF may still exercise the option for 18 more Block-52+, but also procure more in a separate deal that could include interior systems from Block-60 or IN. Even if the Texas line closes, I am sure an agreement could be made to transfer production to Turkey. However the fact remains is that PAF is investing heavily in the Block-52+ infrastructure, it might as well make use of that investment.

Also to note is that the PAF still has space to operate 100 F-16A/Bs that is currently filled by 46 A/Bs - 34 in service, 10 pending delivery & 2 for MLU3 in U.S. You cannot discount pitch-patch orders "here and there" from NATO & U.S Air National Guard, etc.

Overall the PAF has the opportunity and capacity through multiple means build a large F-16 fleet of A/B/C/Ds of similar standard in a fair space of time. Personally speaking, I am expecting 150 active F-16s by 2015 divided mostly between new-build C/Ds, Peace Gate A/Bs and used C/Ds.

The PAF might already be implementing an immediate counter to the MKI threat in the form of its F-16s by finally making full use of the infrastructure available. AFM reported that USAF agreed to transfer its F-16C/Ds - mostly Block-20/25/30/32 to PAF. Given that PAF is already raising the F-16C/D's infrastructure, a mass transfer of those USAF C/Ds should not be a surprise. The ones in good condition can be given the CCIP upgrade - and the bad ones as spare-parts.

We shouldn't discount additional new-build orders as the Block-50/52+ line is being stretched well past 2010 - thanks to the Romanian prospect. Nonetheless the PAF may still exercise the option for 18 more Block-52+, but also procure more in a separate deal that could include interior systems from Block-60 or IN. Even if the Texas line closes, I am sure an agreement could be made to transfer production to Turkey. However the fact remains is that PAF is investing heavily in the Block-52+ infrastructure, it might as well make use of that investment.

Also to note is that the PAF still has space to operate 100 F-16A/Bs that is currently filled by 46 A/Bs - 34 in service, 10 pending delivery & 2 for MLU3 in U.S. You cannot discount pitch-patch orders "here and there" from NATO & U.S Air National Guard, etc.

Overall the PAF has the opportunity and capacity through multiple means build a large F-16 fleet of A/B/C/Ds of similar standard in a fair space of time. Personally speaking, I am expecting 150 active F-16s by 2015 divided mostly between new-build C/Ds, Peace Gate A/Bs and used C/Ds.

fantastic - at last some one agress with what i have been also tableing on this forum on the eventual strength of the PAF F-16 fleet.

AIM-120C5

In long-range engagements AMRAAM heads for the target using inertial guidance and receives updated target information via data link from the launch aircraft. It transitions to a self-guiding terminal mode when the target is within range of its own monopulse radar set, operating in high-PRF mode.
In case the target tries to protect itself with active jamming, AMRAAMs seeker switches to a medium-PRF "home-on-jam" mode.

The Pakistan Air Force currently has the Block 15 F-16A/B model in operation, which has an upgraded APG-66 radar that brings it close to the MLU (Mid-life Update) radar technology. The main advantage is the ability to use the AIM-7 Sparrow and AIM-120 AMRAAM missiles if they were ever to be released to the PAF. Furthermore, the radar is capable of sorting out tight formations of aircraft and has a 15%-20% range increase over previous models. All the earlier F-16s were brought up to OCU standards and have received the Falcon UP structural modification package.

Here is the Specifications of APG-66 Radar onboard PAF F-16 A/Bs

Once a target is located via the search mode, the engagement sub-mode can be used. Engagement allows the system to use the AMRAAM , Sidewinder , and Sparrow missiles. When engaging the Sidewinder , APG-66 sends slaving commands that slaves the missile's seeker head to the radar's line-of-sight for increased accuracy and missile lock-on speed. An Operational Capability Upgrade (OCU) was developed to modify the APG-66 to use the AMRAAM missile. The OCU is designed to provide the radar with the necessary data link to perform mid-course updates of the missile.

A new version of the AN/APG-66, designated the AN/APG-66(V)2 is being installed in F-16A/B aircraft as they are modernized in the Midlife Update program. The equipment is lighter and provides greater detection range and reliability for the modernized F-16s.

APG-68 (V)9 Radars for Pakistan’s F-16s are on the way to make them have a 33% increase in range than the APG-66s and the SAR Capability.

The AN/APG-68(V)9 offers a 33% increase in air-to-air detection range over earlier versions of the radar and introduces synthetic aperture radar, which provides high-resolution ground mapping. When combined with other weapon system improvements, it enables F-16s with autonomous 24-hour, all-weather precision strike capability. The AN/APG-68(V)9 is also available as an easily-installed upgrade kit for existing F-16 aircraft.

but isn't amraam is an over rated missile which has record of killing only aircrafts flown by smaller airforces which were not trained properly. Not with professionally trained airforces like IAF.

but isn't amraam is an over rated missile which has record of killing only aircrafts flown by smaller airforces which were not trained properly. Not with professionally trained airforces like IAF.

im sure u meant IAF and PAF

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom