What's new

India to be the greatest superpower

Status
Not open for further replies.
People in Pakistan who live on < $1.25 are 22.6&#37; and those who live on < $2 are 60.3%

People in India who live on < $1.25 are 41.6% and those who live on < $2 are 75.6%

Source : UN (2008)

Both countries have lot of poverty!

People in Pakistan who live on < $1.25 are 22.6&#37; and those who live on < $2 are 60.3%

People in India who live on < $1.25 are 41.6% and those who live on < $2 are 75.6%

Source : UN (2008)

Both countries have lot of poverty!

Let me clear the air here. I see these statistics of $1 and $2 brought about several times in several posts and several threads. So here s my take on this.

In India, $2/day/person = INR 100/day/person = INR 3000/month/person; for a family of three it equals INR 9000/month.

Now you ask any Indian member here, how much INR 9000/month for a family of three is worth? INR 9000 is a lot of money by all standards of imagination. With that much money a family can lead a very comfortable life in any city in India and yes that includes Delhi, Bombay and Bangalore too. Not only can a family lead a comfortable life, due to low inflation and tax exemption for such income group they can even save more than half of that money. (Remember, the whole country doesn't reside in Delhi, Mumbai or Bangalore. 9000 in any other city will be quite an amount to earn per month!!)

So, quite frankly, I l be proud if someone says that over fifty percent of my country lives on $2 a day. It s quite an achievement you know! That s why I say never use the International poverty line definition to compare two economies. Always use the poverty line of the respective countries for comparison sake. Going by national poverty line I think about 20-22% lived below national poverty line in India in 2008. That too is quite high, but the point other members were trying to make is that this percentage has been on the decline in India since the mid nineties.

In India nobody is talking about India becoming super power.There are still people who have to work even in old age , in hot sun just to make money for food for the next day and they do not even think of becoming super power, We just think about making our life easy to earn money for food, at least once a day.I do not know how many people read this, a kid died in hunger some time back because their family could not earn 20 Rs ( Less than 0.5 $) a day .

May be they will think this as joke if some one say India becoming super power.

My take on superpowerdom: IMHO Every country needs to pass through four stages to become a superpower,

Stage 1: Reach a position from where you can aspire to be a superpower.

Stage 2: Start aspiring to become a superpower.

Stage 3: Give the super powers a run for their money. (Eg, China)

Stage 4: Wear the super power crown.

Again, IMHO, India is somewhere between stage 2 and 3. We crossed stage 1 in mid nineties, stage two when ex-president Kalam was sworn in.

Just remember US wasn't gifted superpowerdom on a platter. They too passed through all the above mentioned stages to reach where they are now.

Bottom line: without aspiring and working for what you aspire you won't get what you want. India aspires to be a superpower and works towards it. Right now we have reached such a stage where anything below 9% growth seems trivial to us. A party's performance is gauged on what growth rate they achieved during their rule. The NDA is ridiculed because it managed an a average of just 7% during its rule as compared to UPA's 8.5-9%. We are talking GDP far more often than what we used to in the early nineties. These are all good signs for an economy. Just shows that we are moving in the right direction. What happens in the future, only time will tell.

No you are wrong , To be a super power,
1) Stablise the country and provide basic need to people.
2) Have peace with all countries around you (first circle of border nothing to worry about second circle :) ) , or have friendship with second circle and dominate those in first circle
3) Make allies to support you
4) Flood money to other countries and just buy them or say you have nuke and nuke them :)

I think this is what US has done, I doubt if India even crossed first stage .

No you are wrong , To be a super power,
1) Stablise the country and provide basic need to people.
2) Have peace with all countries around you (first circle of border nothing to worry about second circle :) ) , or have friendship with second circle and dominate those in first circle
3) Make allies to support you
4) Flood money to other countries and just buy them or say you have nuke and nuke them :)

I think this is what US has done, I doubt if India even crossed first stage .

Well that depends on your definition of super power. I certainly don't want India to be like US. For me any country that can take care of its own without any external intervention is a superpower. Unfortunately no country in the world today is free from US's sphere of influence. The day any country manages to do that, it will be called a super power. I think that is the reason why China today is looked upon as a future super power.

Well that depends on your definition of super power. I certainly don't want India to be like US. For me any country that can take care of its own without any external intervention is a superpower. Unfortunately no country in the world today is free from US's sphere of influence. The day any country manages to do that, it will be called a super power. I think that is the reason why China today is looked upon as a future super power.

China heavily depend on US & Japan.China not even looked as a potential super power, Only Russia can challenge US.

China heavily depend on US & Japan.China not even looked as a potential super power, Only Russia can challenge US.

China is quickly moving away from American sphere of influence. It is not a superpower yet, but will be in some time in the future. Russia too is a potential superpower but with an economy such as Russia's, I think they have a long way to go.

btw, let s not derail the thread. This thread is about India, so let s stick to that. :cheers:

SCREEMING SKULL

mate INR 9000 for 3 ppl in blore is possible but what about standard of living ...sure they will not be able to afford a PC and fight their hearts content out on :pdf::partay:

SCREEMING SKULL

mate INR 9000 for 3 ppl in blore is possible but what about standard of living ...sure they will not be able to afford a PC and fight their hearts content out on :pdf::partay:

Yeah lol. I hope Tata comes up with a nano PC soon. Till then I think I l get more than enough contest from the existing :pdf: members. :P

Well If one look at mobile penetration in India (which has crossed the 30&#37; mark) $2 fig scale look useless. Basically, WB says that 75%+(Fig used on this forum) Indian are poor as they live below $2, but the some poor can afford to have mobilephone. If poor ppl of India can afford mobile, guess what the rich will be doing. hmmm... Superpower crown does not look much far away

What a stupid thing to say. If you judge poverty by cellphones, then you better not judge it at all. Most poor have mobile phones. That has been a policy of the government, to reach the remotest of areas. And most poor buy cellphones that cost about <=1000INR. How does that make them rich? If it does, then maybe India should sell cellphones to all poor in the world including Pakistan, and all governments can scrap their poverty allievation programmes and provide them with cellphones instead. Food, water, shelter? The hell's that? Something of yester years? If I am poor I dont need any of that anymore, just give me a damn cellphone. Height of creative bullshit.

Superpower crown does not look much far away

Precisely, because of your amazingly dumb way of saying that if you have a Motorola T190, you are not poor..

Last edited:
In India 33.71&#37; people have mobile phones

and

In Pakistan 56.80% people have mobile phone!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom