What's new

Idea for Overseas Pakistanis

@Wood

Wood Saar,

For starters, a 2017 estimate by government of Pakistan puts the overseas population to 8.8 million only. Do people really think that every family member who is settled overseas will be able to afford $2000 per year for 5 years?

As I was mentioning to SAH sb (@VCheng), Pakistan's average CAD is around 2% of GDP or around USD 8 billion. Even if half of this was funded by FDI and the rest by investment by OCPs, the whole issue could be sorted out. So we are essentially looking at around USD 4 billion or USD 500 per annum per OCP, which is not a big ask is it? This money can be invested directly in ground level projects (through crowdfunding etc) so there is any risk of money being stolen by neutrals or the two principal ruling clans. Doable if you ask me.

Regards

$2000 per overseas Pakistani is a lot. The diaspora will include children and non working women/parents, so the average per earning member could easily translate to $10000/year. Barring the white collared folks, I don't think that even on paper there could be many takers for this.

Cannot expect such money from labourers in middle east….can only br from rich ppl or those having this much to spare

Real issue remains trust and using it where it belonged, not in govt kitty to br sent to nawazu or zardaru family accounts.

Here is my advice:

Get a more professional name: PTI sounds retarded.

PTI should be renamed to MDP "Muslim Democratic Party."

Commited to Islam and democracy in Pakistan.

2) Do certain deals with China to save the Pakistani economy.

Say we will repay after China after 20 years or something like that.
Why China?
Overseas Pakistanis can make 10x CPEC’s in Pakistan and can give interest free loans.
If government even gives us 10% of the facilities it gives China we will truly make Pakistan great.
The problem is we’re treated like shit and like slaves. Our hard earned money isn’t valued and no guarantee our investment is safe.
Government bends over for countries for literally peanuts like only $1 billion usd while if it did even 10% if that to OP, we would give Pakistan 10x the money.

We want to INVEST in Pakistan not give it free money.
We wanted to feel VALUED and not treated like shit.

That is not good idea as pakistani decision makers are corrupt lethargic hypocrite of highest order. If OP did bailed out(which I highly doubt is they can financially) They will start accumulating debt again. As now even their godly army chief have also started begging openly, a tradition im sure his successors will follow.
My actual idea which was the opposite of the tweet was, we give Qarz e Hasna to Pakistan so it can pay off international lenders and won’t be blackmailed by them. We want our money back but we won’t blackmail and make the country sell it secrets for some dollars.

Dako kaheen k.
Apni properties or haram k mal ko west main settle kerahy hain, or dosron k maal pe nazar hai.

$2000 per overseas Pakistani is a lot. The diaspora will include children and non working women/parents, so the average per earning member could easily translate to $10000/year. Barring the white collared folks, I don't think that even on paper there could be many takers for this.
I think 5 years is not that much time. If he said 10 years than the Pakistani diaspora can pay entire foreign debt of Pakistan.

@Wood

Wood Saar,

For starters, a 2017 estimate by government of Pakistan puts the overseas population to 8.8 million only. Do people really think that every family member who is settled overseas will be able to afford $2000 per year for 5 years?

As I was mentioning to SAH sb (@VCheng), Pakistan's average CAD is around 2% of GDP or around USD 8 billion. Even if half of this was funded by FDI and the rest by investment by OCPs, the whole issue could be sorted out. So we are essentially looking at around USD 4 billion or USD 500 per annum per OCP, which is not a big ask is it? This money can be invested directly in ground level projects (through crowdfunding etc) so there is any risk of money being stolen by neutrals or the two principal ruling clans. Doable if you ask me.

Regards
By OCP, you mean Overseas Pakistanis? I don't think that your numbers add up.

1) Pakistani remittances are already higher than that for most countries on per capita terms and % of GDP. The general trend is that remittances will increase when PKR drops in value to take advantage of the lag time before RE prices catch up. Arbitrarily asking $500 per head will not work. Most of the people are working as laborers and those settled with family cannot put money for every member of the family. The best strategy that Pakistan can take is already in place : Naya Pakistan certificate (and is included in remittances calculated today).

2) Increase in remittance or FDI will also lead to an increase in consumption. So the 2% CAD assumption you have there is a variable number and will increase as more $ comes into the country from outside. The factor of this increase may be debatable. I think Pakistan will need $10 billion in FDI for the current size of its economy. As Pakistan's economy expands, the FDI should also need to increase proportionally.

FDI is not the only panacea for Pakistan. There is also a way out if and when Pakistan hits pay dirt in Reqo Diq or Thar coal.

Why China?
Overseas Pakistanis can make 10x CPEC’s in Pakistan and can give interest free loans.
If government even gives us 10% of the facilities it gives China we will truly make Pakistan great.
The problem is we’re treated like shit and like slaves. Our hard earned money isn’t valued and no guarantee our investment is safe.
Government bends over for countries for literally peanuts like only $1 billion usd while if it did even 10% if that to OP, we would give Pakistan 10x the money.

We want to INVEST in Pakistan not give it free money.
We wanted to feel VALUED and not treated like shit.

My actual idea which was the opposite of the tweet was, we give Qarz e Hasna to Pakistan so it can pay off international lenders and won’t be blackmailed by them. We want our money back but we won’t blackmail and make the country sell it secrets for some dollars.
This guy is obbssesed with china, it's cringe af
just ignore

Just came across this on Twitter and didn’t think it would be fair for overseas Pakistanis to bailout Pakistan for the mistakes of Pakistanis and get nothing in return by disrespect by pdm and it’s supporters and getting called foreign agents.

However, I had an idea.

The government can get overseas Pakistanis to give Qarz e Hasna (interest free loan) to government so it can pay off these international loans. At least gov won’t have to pay high interest then and won’t be blackmailed over loans.
Personally for me I would be happy giving a huge sum as Qarz e Hasna to gov in dollars because I won’t need that money for years from now. Many overseas Pakistanis can do the same. Instead of money sitting around in my bank account here I can give loans as much as I can to gov.
But it would require gov to guarantee we would get our money back in the future and in the currency we gave them (not rupees).
This is still cheaper for Pakistan since it won’t have to pay billions in interest yearly and won’t be blackmailed by other countries.

Why don’t overseas Pakistanis build mega projects in Pakistan?
For example for like a dam, the government of Pakistan can create a company that will own the dam and put its stocks on international markets while overseas Pakistanis buy those stocks and directly invest to improve Pakistan. Since it will be a stock, gov of pak will pay the shareholders their share.
The same can be for railways, highways, dams, refineries, factories etc.

Overseas Pakistanis have money and invest in Pakistan but invest in plots which causes more harm then good.

If government supports and promotes we can get overseas Pakistanis to build and invest in mega projects in Pakistan. We can build our own cpec.

Overseas Pakistanis just need guarantees their INVESTMENT is safe. If we get that trust me Pakistan will be flooded with many billions. I myself would invest majority of my money in Pakistan if I have a guarantee that investment is safe meaning no corruption no fraud no looting no giving me worthless rupees for my hard earned dollars etc.

why would overseas Pakistan give money to the likes of PDM and military elite

Just came across this on Twitter and didn’t think it would be fair for overseas Pakistanis to bailout Pakistan for the mistakes of Pakistanis and get nothing in return by disrespect by pdm and it’s supporters and getting called foreign agents.

However, I had an idea.

The government can get overseas Pakistanis to give Qarz e Hasna (interest free loan) to government so it can pay off these international loans. At least gov won’t have to pay high interest then and won’t be blackmailed over loans.
Personally for me I would be happy giving a huge sum as Qarz e Hasna to gov in dollars because I won’t need that money for years from now. Many overseas Pakistanis can do the same. Instead of money sitting around in my bank account here I can give loans as much as I can to gov.
But it would require gov to guarantee we would get our money back in the future and in the currency we gave them (not rupees).
This is still cheaper for Pakistan since it won’t have to pay billions in interest yearly and won’t be blackmailed by other countries.

Why don’t overseas Pakistanis build mega projects in Pakistan?
For example for like a dam, the government of Pakistan can create a company that will own the dam and put its stocks on international markets while overseas Pakistanis buy those stocks and directly invest to improve Pakistan. Since it will be a stock, gov of pak will pay the shareholders their share.
The same can be for railways, highways, dams, refineries, factories etc.

Overseas Pakistanis have money and invest in Pakistan but invest in plots which causes more harm then good.

If government supports and promotes we can get overseas Pakistanis to build and invest in mega projects in Pakistan. We can build our own cpec.

Overseas Pakistanis just need guarantees their INVESTMENT is safe. If we get that trust me Pakistan will be flooded with many billions. I myself would invest majority of my money in Pakistan if I have a guarantee that investment is safe meaning no corruption no fraud no looting no giving me worthless rupees for my hard earned dollars etc.
Sounds like cowboy maths.

There are 10 million Overseas Pakistanis not households. You can't expect everyone in the household I.e. wife, kids, elderly parents to contribute $2000 as well as the breadwinner.

That is because China is a close ally of Pakistan. So it is only natural to think positively of them.
The US was also a close ally, do you think positively of them?
The US has actually done much more good for Pakistan then China every could.
Gave us our green revolution, military tech, scholarships, aid, etc.
China only gave us loans with interest and forced Chinese labor.
I am not simping for the US, they have their own issues but call a spade a spade. CPC daddy has not done nearly enough for us for us to simp this hard for them.

Sounds like cowboy maths.

There are 10 million Overseas Pakistanis not households. You can't expect everyone in the household I.e. wife, kids, elderly parents to contribute $2000 as well as the breadwinner.
Did you even read what I wrote?

This guy is obbssesed with china, it's cringe af
just ignore
That’s the problem with us.
It’s either we’re obsessed with East or either West. The day we are obsessed with our own country and strive to make our selves a big power, we’ll prosper.
Pakistanis always looking for a daddy like we’re some lost child in the world. First we need to change the mentality of we always need to be the sidekick of one single power then we’ll progress.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom