What's new

I hate my girlfriend, because i love my car.

Thinking of buying a car after 5 years without one. My last car is a very modest 2015 Volvo S-60, which is now my wife's car...

I am thinking of going mid-budget range, not as crazy as Ferrari or a Bentley but a little better then normal showroom car. Between 100k to 200k AUD

Was thinking between a 2016 Nissan R-35 GTR or 2018 BMW i8 or a 2021 Ford Mustang GT.......
The new mustang is just better in term of technology. The i8 actually seems more advanced but its myriad of issues and less practical space makes it rather a poor choice.

The R-35 GTR is a beast but also the same in terms of maintenance due to those extremely powerful but unique engines

The new mustang is just better in term of technology. The i8 actually seems more advanced but its myriad of issues and less practical space makes it rather a poor choice.

The R-35 GTR is a beast but also the same in terms of maintenance due to those extremely powerful but unique engines
Have heard a lot of thing from people who drove Mustang GT, there are a lot of Euopean technology right now. And at $110,000, it is also the cheapest which give me around 80k to tune it up.

i8 wasn't really a good choice I know from the previous conversation I had with @Viet, but it is the only hybrid in the category, which mean they are going to be more support after 2025 as Australia moving out of fossil fuel vehicle. Was going to see if the new Corvette EV work but the local dealer said they are not going to be ready until 2025...

Have heard a lot of thing from people who drove Mustang GT, there are a lot of Euopean technology right now. And at $110,000, it is also the cheapest which give me around 80k to tune it up.

i8 wasn't really a good choice I know from the previous conversation I had with @Viet, but it is the only hybrid in the category, which mean they are going to be more support after 2025 as Australia moving out of fossil fuel vehicle. Was going to see if the new Corvette EV work but the local dealer said they are not going to be ready until 2025...

2035 is still far away. In the meantime, enjoy one of the best hoonmobiles ever made. Life is too short! :D

lol, if I want a hoonmobile, I will get a HB Commodore..... :lol: :lol:

Maybe not a bad idea! Seriously.

Or get a Mustang and add Roush packages as you go along, if they can be run in Australia.

Every asian immigrant old uncle’s cargasm
As it should be, Lexus is the best luxury car brand. Unlike other overengineered luxury cars, Lexus doesn't break down every 1000 miles.

I have never understood why anyone would even consider an i8 let alone buy one. Can you kindly explain what about that car attracts you? LOL I am more concerned by the fact that i8 is a contender when your other options are 35 and GT.

As it should be, Lexus is the best luxury car brand. Unlike other overengineered luxury cars, Lexus doesn't break down every 1000 miles.
My Audi SQ8 is at 35k and not once did I have issue - I do my 0-60 mph in 3.9secs while coming back with a trunk full of groceries, wind through mountains roads with great grip and handling at 85-90 at times.. and then take it on an off road trail to a lake once I get there.

Lexus likes to keep sitting on its reliability aspect and rightly so but that is that. They aren’t as exciting nor engaging as any of the other competitors - they are the quintessential uncle car.

I have never understood why anyone would even consider an i8 let alone buy one. Can you kindly explain what about that car attracts you? LOL I am more concerned by the fact that i8 is a contender when your other options are 35 and GT.
Wrong person quoted

My Audi SQ8 is at 35k and not once did I have issue - I do my 0-60 mph in 3.9secs while coming back with a trunk full of groceries, wind through mountains roads with great grip and handling at 85-90 at times.. and then take it on an off road trail to a lake once I get there.

Lexus likes to keep sitting on its reliability aspect and rightly so but that is that. They aren’t as exciting nor engaging as any of the other competitors - they are the quintessential uncle car.

Wrong person quoted
Bruh!

You can call Lexus's SUVs boring but what on Earth is boring about cars like IS 500, RC, RC-F and LC? Also, I shouldn't have to remind anyone that this was the company that made LFA which is arguably one of the greatest sports cars of all time.

Lexus IS 500

1666636137483.png

Lexus RC-F

1666636120019.png

Lexus LC

1666636092128.png

As far as Audi is concerned, I am glad that your SQ8 hasn't broken down yet but you must also note that most people don't take care of their vehicles as you do. As far as the driving experience is concerned there's no arguing about the fact that Audis drive extremely well.

Wrong person quoted
Oops!

Bruh!

You can call Lexus's SUVs boring but what on Earth is boring about cars like IS 500, RC, RC-F and LC? Also, I shouldn't have to remind anyone that this was the company that made LFA which is arguably one of the greatest sports cars of all time.

Lexus IS 500

View attachment 889023

Lexus RC-F

View attachment 889022

Lexus LC

View attachment 889021

As far as Audi is concerned, I am glad that your SQ8 hasn't broken down yet but you must also note that most people don't take care of their vehicles as you do. As far as the driving experience is concerned there's no arguing about the fact that Audis drive extremely well.

Oops!
I drove the RCs against my Alfa Romeo(also notoriously unreliable but never had issues personally) and I could drive circles around it. Not to mention the driver experience is unmatched.

Again, this isn’t a “Lexus” are boring situation but compared to others they just don’t represent a driver’s experience that I look for.

But that doesn’t mean I am not looking to get a LX600 in the near future just because as the family grows and use cases change I need someone more suited to it.

The problem with hybrid is efficiency.
Look at 2 common use cases. driving in inner city your car uses electric motor, while the fuel motor and fuel tank sit idle. When outer city the car uses fuel motor, while electric motor and battery idle. Makes no sense. The extra weight costs fuel and energy. Certainly there is technology that combines electric/fuel motors however that doesn’t make it better.

We don't have much Hybrid or Electric Car to choose here in Australia.

It's quite extreme actually, you have most people drive lower range like Toyota Camry Hybrid (looked at but didn't really like it) or from Kia, Honda or Hyundai. Which is the same different. Or you can get a Tesla like everyone else. That's really the option here. (If you count MG EV are an option) and on the other end of the spectrum you have the higher range one but that usually over 200K in general (Like AMG GLE or some brand I have never heard of)

We don't have a lot of "Clean" energy car here and they are cutting support on ICE car sale in Australia after 2025, so we expect tradition ICE car will be without many support (Less parts and etc) Which mean there weren't any Hybrid to choose from in the price range I wanted but either a BMW i8 or a AMG GLE. And I don't really like Mecedes

The problem with hybrid is efficiency.
Look at 2 common use cases. driving in inner city your car uses electric motor, while the fuel motor and fuel tank sit idle. When outer city the car uses fuel motor, while electric motor and battery idle. Makes no sense. The extra weight costs fuel and energy. Certainly there is technology that combines electric/fuel motors however that doesn’t make it better.
Well, i dont want to get an EV and I dont want to get a ICE car....that's probable a bigger problem...

Well, i dont want to get an EV and I dont want to get a ICE car....that's probable a bigger problem...
Toyota hydrogen car
Lexus hydrogen is a better pick.
I would wait until it is maturing though. VW new fuel cells can power the car to 2,000 km. No fuel engine, no electric car comes even close.

I drove the RCs against my Alfa Romeo(also notoriously unreliable but never had issues personally) and I could drive circles around it. Not to mention the driver experience is unmatched.

Again, this isn’t a “Lexus” are boring situation but compared to others they just don’t represent a driver’s experience that I look for.

But that doesn’t mean I am not looking to get a LX600 in the near future just because as the family grows and use cases change I need someone more suited to it.
To each to their own I guess. The first car that I drove was a Mustang GT when I was 13 years old in Saudi Arabia, I hated it and I feel this way about all muscle cars; however, Mustang and other muscle cars are still loved by millions around the world. If you have enough spare money lying around then take your Alfa Romeo to a track and try to push it to its limit. This will definitely break the car down hence I asked earlier if you have spare money lying around but you will have a lot of fun plus a car like that deserves to be driven on a track.

Tuner cars are my kind of cars. The cars that I dream about owning are: 32, 33, 34, 35, 350z, 370z, new Z, S13, S14, S15, S2000, Civic Type Rs and Integra Type R(only because of K20 & K24), NSX, FD, FC, EVO 5-10, WRX STI, Celica(GT4 in particular due to its out of the box anti-lag system), MR2, Supra mk4, GR Supra(only the inline-6 variant), AE-86, GR86/new BRZ, GT-86/BRZ, Hilux, Tacoma, BMW E36 and E46. These cars can be turned into insane drift machines or track weapons. There are so many other cars that I love but I would never think about owning them even if I could afford them but I would love to drive them once in a while.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom