What's new

Hindu tortured and killed in Karachi blasphemy dispute

Status
Not open for further replies.
this brings a bad name on us. I seriously doubt the poor guy would actually say that, no one would be crazy enough to say that in pakistan.

as for the blasphemy law, it can only apply to muslims. non-muslims should be judged according to their own religious rulings (which most likely only jews would go with) or a parallel secular set of laws, whichever they choose.

But sheesh guyz, i mean this is a defense forum. everytime i check back here, there is a theological debate or a political bash going on. can't we actually present defense-related items?

i'm heading off for a while, my first exam hasn't gone too well. i really need to hit the books and actually study, which i never do.

this brings a bad name on us. I seriously doubt the poor guy would actually say that, no one would be crazy enough to say that in pakistan.

as for the blasphemy law, it can only apply to muslims. non-muslims should be judged according to their own religious rulings (which most likely only jews would go with) or a parallel secular set of laws, whichever they choose.

But sheesh guyz, i mean this is a defense forum. everytime i check back here, there is a theological debate or a political bash going on. can't we actually present defense-related items?

i'm heading off for a while, my first exam hasn't gone too well. i really need to hit the books and actually study, which i never do.

This is the theology sub forum. And

And yeah, my exams are not going well at all :disagree:

maybe we should all take exams more seriously than forums. my exams havnt started, but i have a nasty feeling they r not gonna go well.

Saw a news story in the south asia section of bbc news that was more warming than this.

It tells of Hindu pilgrims from Sindh who were allowed to make a pilgrimage into Indian administered kashmir.

We have sections that cater to all sorts of interests!:enjoy:

maybe we should all take exams more seriously than forums. my exams havnt started, but i have a nasty feeling they r not gonna go well.

My Exams went pretty well, I was away for 2 weeks.

Don't visit this forum during exams, its highly addictive.

I didn't want to get India into this but

The reality is that a Hindu (or other religion) will not be equal to a Muslim under any such law anymore than a Muslim within Hindu dominated India. It is a feature of south Asia.

Keysersoze, It is disheartening to see Pakistan's treatment of minorities under Islamic laws to be held equal to India's treatment of minorities under secular laws. India is a land of minorities( Acc. to Joshuproject.net the biggest ethnic group of India is Sheikh Muslims followed by Rajputs and Brahmins and all 3 are disparately located all over India)

Discrimination of Muslims,Sikhs, Hindus, Buddhists, Dalits, Brahmins, Christians, foreigners etc exists in India. There is no doubt about India but it is not exclusively against Muslims by Hindus.

Armed Forces generally reject applications of Hindus beloning to mercantile castes i.e some Brahmins communities, Banias/Aggarwals/Vaisyas etc.

Government positions are reserved for minorities which is a disservice to the majority.

In a Muslim ghetto is tough for Hindus to get homes and vice versa.

In Maharashtra there is discrimination against North Indian Hindus(Biharis, UP) by Maharashtrian Hindus.

In North India lower caste Muslims have formed their own political parties to fight discrimination by upper caste Muslims.

Usually the discrimination is relegated to the lower classes but it is not something that is overt/in your face, or a part of daily life and certainly not ONLY because of your religion.

Korangi... Go figure.

Several places in Karachi where you just can't go anymore.

I hope they jail each and every 1500 of them.

I didn't want to get India into this but

Keysersoze, It is disheartening to see Pakistan's treatment of minorities under Islamic laws to be held equal to India's treatment of minorities under secular laws. India is a land of minorities( Acc. to Joshuproject.net the biggest ethnic group of India is Sheikh Muslims followed by Rajputs and Brahmins and all 3 are disparately located all over India)

Discrimination of Muslims,Sikhs, Hindus, Buddhists, Dalits, Brahmins, Christians, foreigners etc exists in India. There is no doubt about India but it is not exclusively against Muslims by Hindus.

Armed Forces generally reject applications of Hindus beloning to mercantile castes i.e some Brahmins communities, Banias/Aggarwals/Vaisyas etc.

Government positions are reserved for minorities which is a disservice to the majority.

In a Muslim ghetto is tough for Hindus to get homes and vice versa.

In Maharashtra there is discrimination against North Indian Hindus(Biharis, UP) by Maharashtrian Hindus.

In North India lower caste Muslims have formed their own political parties to fight discrimination by upper caste Muslims.

Usually the discrimination is relegated to the lower classes but it is not something that is overt/in your face, or a part of daily life and certainly not ONLY because of your religion.

This "fear" of others has many layers and it has nothing to do with religion or caste , at least in India ..Its a part of identity which has many layers .. first its you as an individual then your family , then your clan , then your caste , your region , your religion , your nation , your race and then your species . thats how our relation with outside world shapes our behavior in society .
but human intellect or the collective conscience of a society (law and culture) makes you grow over most of these layers and behave in ethical way .
I have faced this feeling of "other" from others because i am a north Indian Brahman , but this is not supported by any Law or religious scripture .. it is because of ignorance of individuals and the educated (not just with degrees) behave with me the same way they want me to behave with them .

this incident in Karachi may or may not be reflection of the society , depending on how the law treats this . A mad mob cant reflect the whole society .

this incident in Karachi may or may not be reflection of the society , depending on how the law treats this . A mad mob cant reflect the whole society .

Act of mob of 1500 may not be reflection of the society but they all are hiding behind the Blasphemy law. This law is the law of the society.

:angry::angry:

All of this goes back to two main issues. Lack of law enforcement (which leads to this ghastly mob mentality and lynching) and secondly utter lack of education which leads to intolerance.

If the deterrence exists which would ensure that anyone taking anything like blasphemy into their own hands would be taken to task, then at most people would register cases and that is it. In most cases, blasphemy laws are being used to take care of personal gripes. Some fine tuning and appropriate enforcement of the law is needed.

All of this goes back to two main issues. Lack of law enforcement (which leads to this ghastly mob mentality and lynching) and secondly utter lack of education which leads to intolerance.

Well said. These are our two biggest problems, if we can solve these problems then everything will fall into place.

Personally, I've always found the concept of blasphemy, and moreover the enactment of "blasphemy laws" to be some of the most ridiculous man made concoctions in human history.

The general lack of maturity, probably on account of illiteracy, poverty and heavy socio-emotional baggage of the turbulent past has resulted in a lot of religion associated morbidity and mortality in south Asia. We can only hope that this will change one day.

IMHO we will never really see the comprehensive upliftment of any society unless it changes it's mindset to avoid accommodating the obsessions of 'other worldliness' at the expense of the physical one in which it resides/exists.

Personally, I've always found the concept of blasphemy, and moreover the enactment of "blasphemy laws" to be some of the most ridiculous man made concoctions in human history.

You and I might say this because we are educated. Go try telling these people what they are doing is stupid. Somethings are better said then done.

blain2 said:
Lack of law enforcement (which leads to this ghastly mob mentality and lynching) and secondly utter lack of education which leads to intolerance.

You and I might say this because we are educated.

Although there's certainly a link between education and intolerance and/or other archaic practices, I am fairly certain that they aren't correlative. It seems to me that intolerance and faith based practices are primarily shaped by the social outlook as opposed to the level of education or literacy. The USA for instance was able to rid itself of blasphemy laws prior to having achieved high literacy rates; on the other hand, segregation continued well into the 60s when literacy was very high.
At some point the government and the intelligentsia have to take a stance and abolish certain practices that are harmful for the overall outlook of the society and then work for decades to bring the population into compliance through education etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom