What's new

Fascinating Bengal

Some commentary to go along with my previous post. See the mosque in the first pic? That's the Mosque of Amiruddin Darogah. I had posted a picture of this mosque (reposted below)..along with a few words on its builder.

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r94/tanzirian/mosque2.jpg

See the mansion to the right of the mosque? That's the house of Manuk, one of Dhaka's Armenian zamindars. I had posted a picture of this building (reposted below), along with a short history of Dhaka's Armenian community.

manuk.jpg

Look to the right of Manuk's house, at the far right of the first pic. That building is the house of Amiruddin Darogah, who built the mosque to the left of Manuk's house.

Finally, see the mansion left of center in the second pic? That's the house of Khwaja Alimullah, which he purchased from a previous owner in 1835. In 1872, this house was extensively remodeled / rebuilt, and renamed Ahsan Manzil. A second remodeling / reconstruction took place after tornado damage in 1888. The picture below, which was posted previously, is after the first remodeling.

quiz-1.jpg

Remember, these pics are part of a continuous panorama from the previous installments in this series, moving east along the Buriganga, circa 1840. Not much commentary to go along with this post. What you see are more mansions that once lined the riverfront, which I do not know individually. One of the things I love about this series, are the detailed drawings of the many types of traditional rivercraft. Of course this is somewhat difficult to appreciate in this small version, but as I mentioned earlier the higher resolution pics are expensive...I will get them some day, but enjoy these little ones for now!

75674_2.jpg

75675_2.jpg

Well, we come to the end of this cruise, reaching the eastern edge of Dhaka and moving onto the countryside. Two more landmarks are visible in these two images, which I have written about previously...do you know which ones?

75676_2-1.jpg

75677_2.jpg

This commentary refers to the previous post. See the building at the left of the first image? That's the mansion built by Aratun, one of Dhaka's Armenian zamindars. Not long after this painting was made (1840s), the house was extensively remodeled / rebuilt as Ruplal House (picture reposted below).

ruplalhouse1.jpg

Note also the building on the left of the second image. This is the Mill Barrack, the last major sight on the Dhaka riverfront before heading into the country.I am pretty sure that the picture below is of this sugar mill turned military barrack.

milll.jpg

Ershad Ahmed recently posted some interesting pics on his blog:

This is a series of pictures depicting a Muharram festival. I don't know who painted these pics or when they date from. My guess is that they date from early 19th century, when processions would commence from the Naib Nazim's palace (if interested, see my post on Nimtali Deuri earlier in this thread). I know that the National Museum has some pictures of these processions so perhaps that's where Mr. Ahmed got them from.

The first pic shows Hussaini Dalan (chief Imambara of Dhaka) much as it appears today:

dac1-1.jpg

The next pic is also in front of Hussaini Dalan, which you can see in the background. I think a processional float is seen in the foreground.

dac2-1.jpg

The building in the background of the pic below looks like a Mughal structure, possibly one of the katras I wrote about earlier. In front of the katra there looks to be some residential structures including at least one mansion. Also seen - a cannon, possibly the well known Bibi Mariam, which I also commented on earlier...which today is in Osmani Uddyan:

dac3-1.jpg

---------- Post added at 02:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:49 PM ----------

Continue from previous post....

And some more pictures. I am not sure if the last one belongs with the others in the series...it shows some British soldiers...but it does seem stylistically similar. Not sure exactly the location of these scenes, but I like looking at the buildings depicted in the background...all long vanished.

dac4-2.jpg

dac5-1.jpg

dac6-1.jpg

Some more pics from Mr. Ahmed's blogs:

This first pic shows British barrack buildings within Lalbagh Fort. I am glad these are gone! The Birtish built ugly barrack buildings within preexisting Mughal compounds elsewhere as well...a well known and unfortunate example is at the great Red Fort in Delhi, India...why their govt doesn't tear these down is beyond me.

dac9-1.jpg

This pic shows welcoming crowd for Lt. Gov. Fuller in 1905...at beginning of period when Dhaka became capital of newly created (and short-lived) state of East Bengal and Assam. I am pretty sure that is Chawk Bazar square and mosque in background (see earlier post) which at time was principal square of the city.

dac8-1.jpg

Here is unsual shot of Dhakeshwari Temple roofline normally obscured from ground level by modern appendage. I have not written about this temple in my notes previously...the exact date of construction is unknown. The buildings that exist today have Mughal elements so I think it likely dates from 17th - 18th cent. However a temple has been on this site before Dhaka became a proper city and the area supposedly gets its name from the complex. The name given by the Mughals when they established their provincial capital - Jahangirnagar - did not stick, and people reverted to calling it Dhaka.

dac7-1.jpg

Some Dhaka pics from 1934. Photos from Brian Spier.

Waterfront (not sure if this is Buriganga or elsewhere):

brianspier1.jpg

Buriganga docks:

brianspier3.jpg

Ramna Race Course:

brianspier2.jpg

I hope all of you liked the pictures.... These pictures actually gives us the opportunity to revisit our ancient Dhaka/bengal.... There were many other picture that I am not posting due to limited time... If any one has more picture of ancient dhaka or bengal then please post all the picture here....

N special thanks goes to tanzirian of skycrapercity who actually posted all these valuable works 2 years back... I have just copy pasted these wonderful work to share with you....

There is another nice facebook group ... to depict 400 years of history of dhaka in picture.

If you guys could join the group....

DHAKA - 400 years History in Photographs. | Facebook

...:)

I'm gonna post some pictures from Indian Bengal, mostly of Calcutta's, I'll add the descriptions later.

---------- Post added at 05:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:47 PM ----------

IMG_1689.JPG

---------- Post added at 05:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:47 PM ----------

5012228695_0f770c95e3_b.jpg

---------- Post added at 05:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:48 PM ----------

5010739109_dddb055a12_b.jpg

---------- Post added at 05:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:48 PM ----------

St Paul's Cathedral.

5024543512_5288cfa819_b.jpg

Last edited:
St Paul's Cathedral once again.

5021571803_87838f6427_b.jpg

---------- Post added at 05:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:50 PM ----------

St Jhon's Church
5022177750_fe17e25fb1_b.jpg

---------- Post added at 05:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:50 PM ----------

kolkata.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom