What's new

Do Bengalis live vicariously through Pakistan?

Status
Not open for further replies.
No they are not. I'm from Karachi, Biharis are considered as Urdu Speaking in Pakistan where as Bengalis are not.

You cant talk with hundred thousands of them. By their looks they all look Bengali. That is why you assumed all of them are from BD. In reality majority are Indian and Myanmar origin. Some Pakistani loyal Bengali Razakars and less Bangladeshi illegal.

You cant talk with hundred thousands of them. By their looks they all look Bengali. That is why you assumed all of them are from BD. In reality majority are Indian Myanmar origin. Some Pakistani loyal Bengali Razakars and less Bangladeshi illegal.

I guess Myanmar Muslims and Bengalis are mistaken as the same.

Most Banglas I've met have numerous grievances with India and they are quite vocal about it. But most loathe Pakistan with a passion. You have to remember that everyone was affected in that region by what happened in '71. Even recently they hung some Pak collaborators.

First of all, let me tell you that we acknowledge Pakistan's military might, in fact some mention Pakistan's nuclear capabilities proudly and sometimes I correct my non SA Muslim friends that Pakistan is arguably the strongest Islamic country which their vain minds find surprising.

Regarding if Bengali's want to re-join Pakistan? Simple answer, no. The advent of Islam in this region shaped the social landscape so we have always regarded ourselves as a separate entity, many of us have yearned for a separate Bengali Muslim state ('Bangladesh') although it may not be going to plan right now...

Bangladeshis do not in my opinion live vicariously and wish they were Pakistanis.

You need to understand history. Pakistan did not materialise without the effort of Bengali Muslims. Religion created east and west Pakistan, politics broke it.

It is not particularly difficult to comprehend that majority of educated Bangladeshis who know their history do not define themselves solely from a 1971 perspective.

I will speak purely for me. I see Bengali Muslim identity and national consciousness emanating and developing since the days of the Delhi Sultanate. A Bengali Muslim is not the same as a Hindu Bengali. The former is a mix of many backgrounds, cultures and influence but with an unifying thread of islam giving rise to an unique identity.

I know many Pakistanis as well as Hindu Bengalis ...... The similarities between a Hindu Bengali and a Muslim Bangladeshi are as cosmetic as the dis similarities between a Muslim Bangladeshi and a Pakistani.

Islam has moulded the cultures of the people of the subcontinent and that shared affinity is clear to see. I am born and raised in uk.... BD and Pakistanis simply gets on with it.... There are fights and disagreements sometimes but there is also shared experiences most visibly in attending mosques.

Most Bangladeshis I know support Pakistan as their second team after BD me included) in cricket , a few support India. In my circle of friends the Pakistanis have always supported BD except when it is Pakistan vs Bangladesh.

BD are as nationalistic as anyone else. 1971 happened, some issues remain unresolved but Bangladeshies as a whole have moved on. There is no yearning to roll the years back and to become Pakistanis. We are standing on our feet and progressing and apart from current unelected illegal government of BD droning on about 1971 as a point of distraction No one cares. The concept of Pakistan is a political football just like say the economy or the education policies.

But moving away from the hyperbole Bangladesh today exist because dream of Pakistan was fought for and realised by Muslim bengalies as much as any other
Group prior to 1947.

In terms of taking pride in Pakistanis achievements such as nukes or anything else I don't think Bangladeshis do that. I however do admire Pakistanis military prowess as the sole Muslim nuclear power, but some Bangladeshis won't. What I guess separates the likes of me from them is that my sense of nationalism which stems of Islam as the primary barometer of consciousness rather than culture. I am a pan-Islamist as I have found most Bangladeshis to be.... This may come across as wanting to be Pakistani but it is not....

Last edited:
The only area Pakistan is significantly ahead of Bangladesh is military capability. Given the 70 years hostility with India, it is quite understandable. Bangladesh is militarily weak not because it can't be strong, but we choose to not to be. Our national budget is almost same as Pakistan but defence budget as a percentage of GDP is the lowest in south asia and one of the lowest in the world.So we have the capability to raise military might significantly if we take defence as seriously as Pakistan. In all other areas Bangladesh is about to catch Pakistan or already past behind. So I don't see any rationale to be envious with Pakistan in anything. 8-)

I don't know about the expat Bangladeshi community's perception about Pakistan. But in Bangladesh, most of the people regard Pakistan as a hopeless case and all thing wrong about a muslim country that can become. Whenever any terrorism act occure in Bangladesh in the name of religion , people feel anxiety about becoming like Pakistan.

So Bangladeshi people admire Pakistan or want to like Pakistan is quite incorrect and is mainly forwarded by Pakistani themselves or some rootless rajakar in our country who are particularly active in Pakistani forum and want to curry favour in the eyes of Pakistani people.:lol:

Last edited:
Too many Illegal Bengalis in Pakistan, specially in Karachi I want them thrown out along with afghans.

We wish Bangladeshis best of luck with whatever path they chose in 1971. Though the country no longer has any strategic value for Pakistan for decades to come, if the time comes we will always choose them over Indians.

Screw the brotherhood, a wise man never gets bitten from the same hole twice. I am totally against having any kind of relationship with Bangali's, not even diplomatic relationships, after they chose "Bangladesh" for themselves there is no excuse for us to allow them to open their embassy and consulates in this country. They can go and lick indian arse.

Being an international student in Malaysia has many advantages. One of the main advantages is mixing up with so many people from different backgrounds.

Bengali's here seem to complain alot about India dominating them in every way. Many of them even told me they live vicariously through Pakistan because Pakistan sticks it to india's face whenever it mattered. All of them support Pakistan when it comes to Pakistan-India matches. Many times when Pakistan won they would come over and celebrate with us. According to them They wish they had Military power like Pakistan so that hey can show india they cant be pushed around. Surprised to see many of them had Wasim akram/waqar younis/shoaib akhtar and other pakistan hockey players as their inspiration. They also Complain about Pakistan and india hogging all the limelight and bangladesh getting lost in between those two.

Wanted to ask my bengali brothers how true is this?

Bangladesh is militarily weak not because it can't be strong, but we choose to not to be
As all of you post is ranting,but this part is more Your Daddy Bahrat don't want you to have a strong Army,even you trained commandos secretly with help of Pakistan because Indian just Asked"what you would do with a commando force"
As for war it is part of nation's life come and see how hopeless we are.We just tested a Missile capable of hitting Indian targets in you backyard and just signed a Project with china worth 45 billion US$.

If I'm not mistaken, didn't Bengalis work really hard for the creation of Pakistan?

There is actually a great deal of support for Pakistan in Bangladesh. Most Bangladeshis do enjoy it when Pakistan gives India a bamboo.
True. I was in Chittagong when Pakistan detonated Nuclear devices in response to Indian tests. On the streets people were as happy as if BD had done the nuclear tests.
Some youths did try to tease me about how BD is no more part of Pakistan,but including me most Pakistanis are cool about it and accept BD as a sovereign state whole heartedly.
Unlike India who still cant accept 1947 Partition.

Bangladesh has better HDI and reputation than Pakistan. I don't think they would want to re join pakistan.

Soon BD's economy is going to surpass Pakistan's

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom