What's new

Dhaka vs Kolkata

Your wife left Bangladesh because of you I would imagine? She's not with me though, who knows where :azn:.

I guess both her and WB have been permanently separated from Bangladesh....and you can keep dreaming about getting them back in your fantasies :p:. Sad for you!:cray:

Feel the pain man. We had a fight but I will love her again. Just give her back. How long can she hate. She must be in her father's house or living with someone else who knows. But I will get her back. After all she got my child in her womb.

http://pwc.blogs.com/files/global-city-gdp-rankings-2008-2025.pdf

Annex B, page 31 onwards. Has direct figures of GDP size of cities in 2008 and prediction for 2025. (rank in brackets)

Dhaka 2008 figure: 78 Billion (77), 2025 prediction: 215 billion (48)

Mumbai 209 Billion (29), 594 billion (11)

Delhi 167 Billion (37) , 482 billion (19)

Kolkata 104 billion (61), 298 Billion (37)

Bangalore 69 billion (84), 203 billion (55)

Chennai 66 billion (87), 191 Billion (60)

Hyderabad 58 billion (93), 170 billion (69)

Ahmedabad, Pune are not far behind.

You really think Nominal versus PPP is going to magically improve Dhaka ranking compared to Indian cities? Dhaka is really that much more expensive of a place that its PPP mulitplier is much lower than Indian cities? ;)

BTW, Mumbai is 6 - 7% of India's GDP. Maharashtra is about 14% of India GDP. I will let you do the basic math to figure out what % of Mahrashatra is Bombay GDP. Clue: its not 100% :cheesy:

Dont take these economic datas so much seriously. Bangladesh was in shamble in the past and not in strong positions to highlight its economy. So these reports dont reflect much. World bank itself which doesnt show actual growth of BD has data that BD per capita increased from $650 to $1080 from 2008 to 2014. And GDP $92b to $174b.
That is close to double in just in 6 years. Come back with something recent. Dhaka has the highest improvement among BD cities.These outdated outlook is irrelevent to Dhaka.

GDP (current US$) | Data | Graph
GNI per capita, Atlas method (current US$) | Data | Graph

Last edited:
Feel the pain man. We had a fight but I will love her again. Just give her back. How long can she hate. She must be in her father's house or living with someone else who knows. But I will get her back. After all she got my child in her womb.

Ok this is getting awkward....hehe. I don't know anything about your wife ok! I'm talking pure economics/development.

Dont take these economic datas so much seriously. Bangladesh was in shamble in the past and not in strong positions to highlight its economy. So these reports dont reflect much. World bank itself which doesnt show actual growth of BD has data that BD per capita increased from $650 to $1080 from 2008 to 2014. And GDP $92b to $174.
That is close to double in just in 6 years. Come back with something recent. Dhaka has the highest improvement among BD cities.These outdated outlook is irrelevent to Dhaka.

Same can be said of India. Under UPA-II the economy was losing all the momentum and turning into an entitlement based handout system with scam after scame and no sense of fiscal control, subsidy rationalization/efficiency and no sense to improve investment climate etc. That is only changing now in the new administration, thats why there is also an uptick in growth in India across the board. So the city data for Indian cities would also have changed by now too compared to 2008.

I used the world bank data to post only growth rate figures to show a point to doyalbaba that different groups can have different projections....but they are still just projections in the end.

I am actually very impressed by Bangladesh growth performance over the years like you state. B'desh RMG sector is definitely something India can learn from to implement in states like UP, Bihar etc.

Bangladesh will hopefully get even better as more diverse industries come in and better skilling and education is provided for the youth.

Personally I am against comparing city A to city B....each city is relatively hard to define (is it just the CBD, suburbs too or whole metro area?)...each city has its strengths and weaknesses...and these are known at a deep level only by the people that live there.

So the whole point of PWC report is that is clearly has a "level" playing field in comparing within the same year and using the same overall definition. Where Dhaka is now and where kolkata is now....and where they will be in future is based on individual perception again...GDP is just one element of this anyways.

Of course India is a 3rd world country are you blind or something. Just because you have some big companies based in your country who have simply chose your country to EXPLOIT your manpower. Simple as. Why are you guys so thick, it's unbelievable.

I can name so many companies that have put their call centres in India because they pay you guys PEANUTS. But I dread calling a contact number because of the accent. It's bloody HIPPITY HOPPITY all the time

ownage pranks has the best indian accent:rofl:

Ok this is getting awkward....hehe. I don't know anything about your wife ok! I'm talking pure economics/development.

Same can be said of India. Under UPA-II the economy was losing all the momentum and turning into an entitlement based handout system with scam after scame and no sense of fiscal control, subsidy rationalization/efficiency and no sense to improve investment climate etc. That is only changing now in the new administration, thats why there is also an uptick in growth in India across the board. So the city data for Indian cities would also have changed by now too compared to 2008.

I used the world bank data to post only growth rate figures to show a point to doyalbaba that different groups can have different projections....but they are still just projections in the end.

I am actually very impressed by Bangladesh growth performance over the years like you state. B'desh RMG sector is definitely something India can learn from to implement in states like UP, Bihar etc.

Bangladesh will hopefully get even better as more diverse industries come in and better skilling and education is provided for the youth.

Personally I am against comparing city A to city B....each city is relatively hard to define (is it just the CBD, suburbs too or whole metro area?)...each city has its strengths and weaknesses...and these are known at a deep level only by the people that live there.

So the whole point of PWC report is that is clearly has a "level" playing field in comparing within the same year and using the same overall definition. Where Dhaka is now and where kolkata is now....and where they will be in future is based on individual perception again...GDP is just one element of this anyways.

These independent sources are nothing if gov dont provide enough info. Which data Indian authorities could give in 2000s, GoB couldnt. Still GoB has many sectors which they didnt include in their GDP criteria such as Women contribution. These will sort out by 2025 and can say then where Dhaka Kolkata Mumbai standing.

Ok this is getting awkward....hehe. I don't know anything about your wife ok!

She is in Kolkata Murshidabad Malda

These independent sources are nothing if gov dont provide enough info. Which data Indian authorities could give in 2000s, GoB couldnt.

Thus the sources would have compiled from what they were able to gauge on the ground using various financial experts and assayers. Their exact methodology is known to them...both in data acquisition/compilation and projection analysis.

They are not going to be using govt data anyway...since different govt's measure and give different weights to various data that would create inconsistencies. You would have to query the specific group to see if they will tell you what they did.

These will sort out by 2025 and can say then where Dhaka Kolkata Mumbai standing.

Agreed. It was only a response to people saying that Dhaka and Kolkata cannot be compared at all....and are in different economic leagues or something. We will definitely have to wait till the cities develop more to have some hard valid economic data...right now both are quite underdeveloped in various ways like you say. Its like comparing two sewer drains and asking which one has better metal used and has fewer blockages. People will have differing perceptions depending on which one is theirs!

Let us work together instead of making childish remarks/trolling/flame-wars etc

Yunus to help India in microcredit

"The government of India’s Maharashtra state is seeking help of Nobel laureate Muhammad Yunus, the father of microcredit, to introduce a microfinancing system for small and medium scale industries in the state, reports The Indian Express."

Patna vs Dhaka?

Lahore is ranked similar to Surat in GDP. Isnt that interesting? :agree:

Karachi ranked below Dhaka in 2008.....by 2025, ranked below even Bangalore....and just above Chennai..

@Doyalbaba Who is this fat lady in your dp? :P

166646.jpg
She is Bangladeshi model and actress Nusraat Faria Mazhar. And she is not fat or too skinny but in a right shape. If you think she is fat then I guess you have cataract in your eyes as you becoming senile day by day. Here is another pics of her,is it looks Fat?
mazhar.png

A well put argument on the surface. However the big problem with using this data from IMF like you have is:

a) its simply an estimate especially when we got past say 2 years. IMF has known to be off in its predictions for China, India growth predictions by underestimating them (they are being conservative a lot of the time) compared to middle and small sized economies.

b) the numbers are current prices (pure exchange rate conversion) instead of the better constant (real) prices which takes into account things like inflation. Bangladesh inflation rate is quite a lot larger than India's and is predicted to remain much higher in upcoming years. You can check this yourself with google and also using the same IMF query, when you query the deflator and check its growth as well. Read up on difference between Real (constant prices) and nominal (current prices) as well. I know we have been using nominal thus far to get some baseline numbers....but to take this analysis to the next level, we need to understand the difference and be able to understand the significance of that and why Real is a much better indicator than nominal.

c) To provide any sort of 100% reliable data, we unfortunately have to wait for 1 - 2 years. I will own up my prediction is based on my own analysis of the situation concerning investment climate, growth momentum, inflation rate, currency stability and underlying socio-economic parameters of TN compared to Bangladesh. I can go through all of this in very detailed fashion and explain why each one in my head leads to me thinking TN will have a greater economic output than Bangladesh in 2 years time (or maybe slightly more than that time)....but each one is susceptible to how it actually pans out. Again this will take a very long post and I feel we have strayed far enough from the original topic anyway....plus I would have to do a very long statistical analysis to give something like a confidence level for my assertion anyway, and I got to really dig for that data and equation analysis which I dont have time for. Easiest way is to wait a couple years and see what numbers are published and what is achieved.

Again you have used the current prices data to come to this statement. I would suggest querying "Gross domestic product, constant prices Percent change" to compare between two countries accurately. You will notice then that India is predicted by IMF to always have a Real GDP growth of 1% higher than bangladesh in the coming years...because it will be suffering less from inflation. This is again prediction at this point, we will have to wait and see to be 100% certain, lots of things can change within India and Bangladesh in these time frames. These are current "trajectories" if you will....but I for one feel there is more structural acceleration and reforms going on within India that will take the real growth rates even higher (to say past 8 or 9%).

It may be relevant to notice that World Bank predicts higher REAL growth rates for India in future compared to IMF and somewhat lower for Bangladesh:

Forecast Table

So different analysis groups give different weights to certain fundamental parameters to make their projections. It is a bit of a dark art in economics since we are not talking about just a single company....but a wide cacophony of factors in diverse large populations.
Both country's forecast is in dollar,so it doesn't matter whether BD has more inflation or not.And who tell you that BD will alyways have more inflation than India? In just two yeras ago India had much more inflation than BD,when Rupee depreciated from 45 per dollar to 60 per usd.It can happen again.You are predicting growth acceleration for India and stagnation for BD. But well it may be reverse,or atleast accelerated for both country.World bank, IMF also predicting growth acceleration for BD.I am not to keen to take forecast seriously,I only mentioned because you were predicting wider economic gap between the countries which is not true.If analyses past five years performance for both BD and India than you see economic growth in dollar term are very similar for BD and India.

Social indicators are better in BD mostly.So if you ask which country have more growth opportunity in future then most will say Bangladesh.Our macroeconomic trend is most stable in south asia,we have low debt,positive current account balance,high export and remittance growth,Our savings rate also not very behind than India.IMF ,world bank is predicting 6.5 growth this year,but it well may cross 7 percent as their forecast is always conservative for BD.It may accelerate even farther in coming years as they are predicting.So only time tell which country will pull farther ahead.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom