What's new

Dhaka vs Kolkata

Tamil....more properly Thamizh :)

My intent is to not troll. I wish the best towards Bangladesh and its citizens. They are good people that I would like to see prosper and grow.

Regular people get along just fine and share many bonds:

You are right to an extent. If you back to earlier times, the only permanent things were a people's culture and language etc...so we of course identified more along those terms since empires and kingdoms came and went.

Regarding concept of India, the word itself does not have an old pure-Tamil word for it ...closest I can think of is Bharatam from Bharat....and that is Sanskrit based word. Words like "Inthiya" "Theesiya Nadu" etc etc are quite recent additions in Tamil vocabulary.

This does not mean however our concept of nationhood and patriotism should take a 2nd or 3rd class seat in our minds. It is side by side with our Tamil identity....for our great Chola Empire reached a large expanse and influence beyond our immediate cultural hearth....we have always had a great cultural exchange with rest of the subcontinent....concept of the greater land is not unknown in the older literature.

One of our greatest poets/freedom fighters (Bharatiyar as we call him) after all had this has his great subject matter. The words he wrote still resonate in all of us who love our country....he had a great respect for Bengali culture and language....fluent in it and many other languages (Indian and western). This and other factors has led to many Tamil elites always looking up to Bengali culture....we see this another culture within the greater area of subcontinent that has a similar deep and distinct heritage like Tamil culture and history.....and that era of great Bengali thinkers, poets, reformers, scientists and mathematicians is still studied (or at least used to be, I dont know the current situation) as the renaissance that sparked the freedom movement for the country at large. Thats why you talk to the older generation of Tamils, they have a certain reverence for Bengalis....as very smart, shrewd, educated especially in maths.

I really wish the whole country was not fractured by religious lines in the first place. But what has happened as happened and we must move on. Thats why we have to put aside the differences and suspicions (Bangladesh and India) and develop faster and faster...till the boundaries truly do not matter anymore.

As much as I admire your paragraph and that Tamils have a reserved feeling about Bengalis but the fact of the matter is Bangladeshis are becoming increasingly hostile against this nation called India, or known as Bharat to subcontinent. More so over the wrong doings of the government such as border kilings and Hasinas nefarious actions such as the Indian backed kangaroo court, a way to eliminate key players in the politics game.

And also your Indian counterparts here do not leave a good impression always trolling and disregarding our culture.

Do you like Rajanikant? I like him very much.Recently seen his 'Lingaa'.Good movie as usual by him

Rajinikanth is good actor, in his earlier years he had many decent movies....ok he kinda slurred his speech a little bit (similar to Stallone) since he is not a Tamil mother-tongue guy. But he made up for this with his style and wit. I definitely prefer him to Kamal Hassan and others of that generation crop. His newer movies are also quite good overall..they are some of the few that I will actively seek out to watch (compared to most Tamil movies these days which I give a miss).

Overall I am more of a fan of earlier era of Tamil cinema before Rajini's time. There were better actors, storylines, rivalries...the culture seemed more developed and original back then. Rajini in a way is able to be a bridge to that type of Cinema in that an actor is got to have his own personality and unique charm about him...rather than copy someone else combined with recycled storylines and trashy influences.

As much as I admire your paragraph and that Tamils have a reserved feeling about Bengalis but the fact of the matter is Bangladeshis are becoming increasingly hostile against this nation called India, or known as Bharat to subcontinent. More so over the wrong doings of the government such as border kilings and Hasinas nefarious actions such as the Indian backed kangaroo court, a way to eliminate key players in the politics game.

You are free to feel that way, and I can understand it. Sometimes brother countries have to go through a difficult period (as perceived by various sections of the population on both sides) before they can truly put it all behind them and it becomes a distant memory....but through those difficult times.....they build up character in their nation...and that is the important take away that should be eternal no matter how things change in the future. Some of the most previously vicious enemies are now the closest of friends....it may take many generations but I am optimistic. But first and foremost thing thats important is that people have to get more educated, more productive, more healthy and confident.....in every place of subcontinent and the world. When that happens, politicians can no longer manipulate to the extent that they do now....to be able to exploit the uneducated hate whenever it benefits them.

It is especially true in South Asia in general because we have such large masses of people, large divisive religious baggage and current issues....and we have a very large mess of politicians and bureaucrats all seeking to keep status quo so they can continue to benefit at their choosing.

As for kangaroo court, well I have come across a number of Bangladeshis that are in support of bringing quick justice to war criminals in politics (as they see it). I am unsure how popular these moves are within Bangladesh....I can only judge in hindsight because the very nature of these kinds of things means people will have some bias one way or another depending on their own political meanings (when they are part of the country to begin with). If in 10 years time, Bangladesh is much more wealthier and stable....the particular crook in power does not matter much....that is what I wish the Bangladeshi people can achieve....just like I wish for the huge areas in India afflicted by similar problems.

I am not going to deny that India has not played a shrewd political game when it has been able to within Bangladesh. I have too many Bangladeshi friends that have told me firsthand of various ploys done by the cunning Bharatis. But I always listen with open ears....and then debate them in friendly matter about various topics regarding these....because I and people I know (parents etc) have had their own fair share of negative experiences with North Indians in real life. I can certainly empathise about the power play dynamics that unfortunately are going on as part of geopolitics/big brother relationship/superiority complex you name it....while at the same time I do not subscribe to thinking this is the only set of interactions happening. It will be a mix of good, bad and neutral depending on the context we are speaking of. Who knows the actual % numbers? I don't think anyone does....we only have perception...and even that is influenced a lot by what we personally think.

By virtue of the size of India, it is going to have a huge influence on Bangladesh. This is the simple basic truth...all positives and negatives then depend on your perception. For defence nationalists, it will always be a tough situation...because as an emerging growing country....you want a country to be fully separate from any influence, any outside "control" and be able to hold its head up high and counter all threats (sometimes you need to exaggerate them as well....we are all guilty of it). I have seen elements among Indian defence community very similar regarding China for example. Every defence community needs a bogeyman...which will have some element of truth and some fiction....depending on who you ask. For Bangladesh the choice is quite simple. Myanmar is nowhere near strong enough to be the main "eternal" one.....it has to be India because simple fact is....there are definitely enough differences, left over baggage from partition and 1971....and simple disparity in size that makes it much more perceivable. It is the way this sort of thing works.

Those of you that can still remember what regular folk are like in the heat of a discussion...bless you for being able to do so.....and I feel bad for those that can't and get consumed only by the hatred...and if thats the only thing they can take with them. Then combine this with the defence nationalists from another country and you get a recipe that most defence forums thrive on for majority of their content. Sometimes it is all just fun and games, we are all human after all....but I dont like it when anyone takes it too far and real emotional friction and even erosion occurs. At those times it is best to remain calm, focused and try not to degrade oneself as well....but that is easier said than done many times. What to do? This is human nature after all.

It is also much easier to troll and hate on internet forums, than face to face....forums almost become an outlet for lots of us....stuff we cant say to another person in real life, we can say here....with clean or dirty words it does not matter.

When you realise this context, you also realise why in real life we still get along on the fundamental levels...whatever our backgrounds. Thats why I never take the opinions on defence forums too seriously....I sort through the 1000 bits of regular coal to find 1 or 2 diamonds now and again (whatever you consider to be diamonds and coal is up to you of course). That is the whole point for me.

When India and Bangladesh both become wealthier, more confident nations....most of the serious issues will rectify between them in the defence/security realm. Of course we will always have a rivalry be it in sports, competitions and the other positive fora where even developed countries have it still no matter their friendship....not everything can be 100% friendly and polite right. But I have a feeling that both countries need to continue to grow and develop....and this will eventually sort itself out....because I want to see that future for the whole region and world at large.

What exactly ends up happening, I guess we can only wait and see....it is not in our hands after all.

Last edited:
You are going to argue about a tiny percentage difference, fine. It is not going to change the overall picture.

100 billion INR is about 1.7 billion USD. This is a small tiny number when we are talking about GDP of large countries....even Bangladesh.

I am not using 2015 Fiscal year data. That would correspond to 2015 - 2016 in Indian State GDP page...the column of which does not even exist. By 2014 - 2015, this corresponds to IMF fiscal data for 2014.

If you want 2015 data for Indian States you will have to wait. But as a rule of thumb according to IMF, Indian GDP growth prediction nominally was about 2.31/2.05 trillion USD = 1.126 or about 12.6% growth. So assuming roughly uniform growth across the large GDP Indian states, most of them will only improve their size with respect to Bangladesh which is expected to grow 205/185 billion USD = 1.108 = 10.8 % growth. So Indian states are pulling away overall compared to Bangladesh by almost 2 full percentage points on average....and Indian real growth is increasing and accelerating compared to Bangladesh which holds at a solid 6 - 6.5% lately.....so many more Indian states are going to easily surpass Bangladesh GDP in just a few years time and more are going to enter the 50%+ mark, 75% mark, 90% mark etc. (i.e comparable threshold). In fact I would bet Tamil Nadu will surpass Bangladesh economic size by 2016 or 2017 at the latest.

Wrong because you have completely misunderstood the fiscal year timeframe that IMF uses. 2014 corresponds to May 1st 2014 to April 30th 2015. This is where the 185 billion USD GDP for Bangladesh and 2.05 trillion USD GDP for India correspond to. 205 billion USD GDP and 2.3 trillion USD are estimates for the current ongoing fiscal year (May 1st 2015 to April 30th 2016).

Generally IMF publishes a report in October for a mid year estimate of an ongoing fiscal...and publishes one in April sometime for the upcoming fiscal estimate. The former was the one that gave the 185 billion, the latter gives the 205 billion number for B'desh GDP.

So the appropriate time frame to compare to Indian state GDP would be the 2014-2015 time frame. Indian fiscal year runs from April 1st to March 31st if I am not mistaken....so it corresponds very closely with IMF fiscal year (1 month difference - wont change the numbers that much).

So sorry to burst your bubble but Tamil Nadu and Uttar Pradesh are indeed 90% of Bangladesh GDP and closing in on 100% fast (due to higher growth rate in India compared to Bangladesh currently).

IMF fiscal year: IMF Annual Reports List

If you want to compare the Data of 2013 - 2014 Indian states GDP, IMF has published 161.7 billion USD for Bangladesh GDP that year (2013 IMF fiscal year).
According to forecast of IMF for the next five years, Bangladesh gdp will rise from current 205 billion to 322 billion usd in 2020 or 57 percent growth in aggregate.Correspondingly Indian gdp will rise from 2308 billion in 2015 to 3640 billion in 2020, which is also 57 percent growth in aggregate.So India and Bangladesh is expected to maintain current gdp factor ratio for the foreseeable future.For the current fiscal year India is expected to grow 7.5 percent while Bangladesh is 6.5 percent.But in near furure both BD and India are expected to grow in same rate or slightly more for BD, which translate to same growth for both country.

Shaded cells indicate IMF staff estimates
Country Subject Descriptor Units Scale Country/Series-specific Notes 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 2020
Bangladesh Gross domestic product, current prices U.S. dollars Billions 205.327 223.941 245.920 270.044 295.643 321.983
India Gross domestic product, current prices U.S. dollars Billions 2,308.018 2,510.599 2,755.830 3,012.896 3,311.747 3,639.804
Report for Selected Countries and Subjects

So your assumption about Indian states overtaking Bangladesh one by one in gdp volume is not correct.It is only possible if growth in Tamil Nadu or UP is above the Indian average.Which will means growth at the expanse of other states. @Nilgiri Can you provide reliable data on gdp growth rate by Indian state?Then we can discuss about whether or not Tamin Nadu can suppress BD.

Rajinikanth is good actor, in his earlier years he had many decent movies....ok he kinda slurred his speech a little bit (similar to Stallone) since he is not a Tamil mother-tongue guy. But he made up for this with his style and wit. I definitely prefer him to Kamal Hassan and others of that generation crop. His newer movies are also quite good overall..they are some of the few that I will actively seek out to watch (compared to most Tamil movies these days which I give a miss).

Overall I am more of a fan of earlier era of Tamil cinema before Rajini's time. There were better actors, storylines, rivalries...the culture seemed more developed and original back then. Rajini in a way is able to be a bridge to that type of Cinema in that an actor is got to have his own personality and unique charm about him...rather than copy someone else combined with recycled storylines and trashy influences.

You are free to feel that way, and I can understand it. Sometimes brother countries have to go through a difficult period (as perceived by various sections of the population on both sides) before they can truly put it all behind them and it becomes a distant memory....but through those difficult times.....they build up character in their nation...and that is the important take away that should be eternal no matter how things change in the future. Some of the most previously vicious enemies are now the closest of friends....it may take many generations but I am optimistic. But first and foremost thing thats important is that people have to get more educated, more productive, more healthy and confident.....in every place of subcontinent and the world. When that happens, politicians can no longer manipulate to the extent that they do now....to be able to exploit the uneducated hate whenever it benefits them.

It is especially true in South Asia in general because we have such large masses of people, large divisive religious baggage and current issues....and we have a very large mess of politicians and bureaucrats all seeking to keep status quo so they can continue to benefit at their choosing.

As for kangaroo court, well I have come across a number of Bangladeshis that are in support of bringing quick justice to war criminals in politics (as they see it). I am unsure how popular these moves are within Bangladesh....I can only judge in hindsight because the very nature of these kinds of things means people will have some bias one way or another depending on their own political meanings (when they are part of the country to begin with). If in 10 years time, Bangladesh is much more wealthier and stable....the particular crook in power does not matter much....that is what I wish the Bangladeshi people can achieve....just like I wish for the huge areas in India afflicted by similar problems.

I am not going to deny that India has not played a shrewd political game when it has been able to within Bangladesh. I have too many Bangladeshi friends that have told me firsthand of various ploys done by the cunning Bharatis. But I always listen with open ears....and then debate them in friendly matter about various topics regarding these....because I and people I know (parents etc) have had their own fair share of negative experiences with North Indians in real life. I can certainly empathise about the power play dynamics that unfortunately are going on as part of geopolitics/big brother relationship/superiority complex you name it....while at the same time I do not subscribe to thinking this is the only set of interactions happening. It will be a mix of good, bad and neutral depending on the context we are speaking of. Who knows the actual % numbers? I don't think anyone does....we only have perception...and even that is influenced a lot by what we personally think.

By virtue of the size of India, it is going to have a huge influence on Bangladesh. This is the simple basic truth...all positives and negatives then depend on your perception. For defence nationalists, it will always be a tough situation...because as an emerging growing country....you want a country to be fully separate from any influence, any outside "control" and be able to hold its head up high and counter all threats (sometimes you need to exaggerate them as well....we are all guilty of it). I have seen elements among Indian defence community very similar regarding China for example. Every defence community needs a bogeyman...which will have some element of truth and some fiction....depending on who you ask. For Bangladesh the choice is quite simple. Myanmar is nowhere near strong enough to be the main "eternal" one.....it has to be India because simple fact is....there are definitely enough differences, left over baggage from partition and 1971....and simple disparity in size that makes it much more perceivable. It is the way this sort of thing works.

Those of you that can still remember what regular folk are like in the heat of a discussion...bless you for being able to do so.....and I feel bad for those that can't and get consumed only by the hatred...and if thats the only thing they can take with them. Then combine this with the defence nationalists from another country and you get a recipe that most defence forums thrive on for majority of their content. Sometimes it is all just fun and games, we are all human after all....but I dont like it when anyone takes it too far and real emotional friction and even erosion occurs. At those times it is best to remain calm, focused and try not to degrade oneself as well....but that is easier said than done many times. What to do? This is human nature after all.

It is also much easier to troll and hate on internet forums, than face to face....forums almost become an outlet for lots of us....stuff we cant say to another person in real life, we can say here....with clean or dirty words it does not matter.

When you realise this context, you also realise why in real life we still get along on the fundamental levels...whatever our backgrounds. Thats why I never take the opinions on defence forums too seriously....I sort through the 1000 bits of regular coal to find 1 or 2 diamonds now and again (whatever you consider to be diamonds and coal is up to you of course). That is the whole point for me.

When India and Bangladesh both become wealthier, more confident nations....most of the serious issues will rectify between them in the defence/security realm. Of course we will always have a rivalry be it in sports, competitions and the other positive fora where even developed countries have it still no matter their friendship....not everything can be 100% friendly and polite right. But I have a feeling that both countries need to continue to grow and develop....and this will eventually sort itself out....because I want to see that future for the whole region and world at large.

What exactly ends up happening, I guess we can only wait and see....it is not in our hands after all.

You wrote this essay??? I am even afraid to start reading that many lines !! Man, you got time

Sorry if you were looking for a response w@***r, got busy with stuff.

No, I was not, I generally detest foul-mouths. Anyway, it's good that you have spent a whole day studying history on the internet.

Getting back to British India vs Qing China discussion, read the following, reread and continue repeating till your grey matters start to grasp excerpts from non-saffron sources:

'British India' was India, just like the way "British America' was America, 'French Canada' was Canada, and 'Qing China' was China.

The entirety of China was under foreign (i.e., non-Han) rule twice, during the Yuan (Mongol) and Qing (Manchu) dynasties, from 1271 to 1368 and 1644 to 1911, respectively, they were northern invaders. Apart from that, parts of China was under foreign rule (till 1999) during the European colonization period. But that's not the topic here.

Marathas were the sons-of-the-soil. But Mughals were foreign rulers, just like the Yuan (Mongol) and Qing (Manchu) dynasties. It doesn't matter whether they later mixed up with the local population, partially or fully, Mughals also mixed up with the local population, but they were foreign invaders.

You are free to twist history as per your liking, just don't bother me with such stupidity.

Compare to British India, where Indians were almost "slave subjects". Take a look at your ancestor below (taking care of Clive's baby, such nice people these Indians :P):

Reynolds.clive.750pix.jpg
:lol:

Present day Bangladesh was very much a part of the British ruled India, that slave in that picture may very well be your own ancestor. I wonder what kind of people ridicule the suffering of their own ancestors, Pakistanis may very well be quite right about your kind.

I know more of world history than your academically deficient Indian brain can absorb in several lifetimes.

Says a half-educated who doesn't know his own history.

May be.but it is not as per with Dhaka.Only Mumbai is comparable to Dhaka among Indian city.:-)
comparing mumbai wit dhaka??!! lol bro.........even cities like bangalore , hydrabad, delhi-gurgaon-noida are far ahead of dhaka............but dhaka being both the actual and the commercial capital of bangladesh......with proper effort and political will....it will be just like mumbai in no time

Dude I have work, you can see my post rate when you look at the year joined and total posts so far. ;)
Trust me, convincing you about anyone's history is not even the least among my priorities, let alone spend time researching. ;p

Anyways, buzz off.

Shoo

lolax.. this thing is still going on..
@Rain Man Where are you from ?

Kolkata.

Back
Top Bottom