What's new

Dhaka vs Kolkata

comparing mumbai wit dhaka??!! lol bro.........even cities like bangalore , hydrabad, delhi-gurgaon-noida are far ahead of dhaka............but dhaka being both the actual and the commercial capital of bangladesh......with proper effort and political will....it will be just like mumbai in no time

Dhaka can never be nearly as cosmopolitan, open-minded, and global in its outlook, as Bombay is, so no matter how far into the future you look, the comparison of the two will be an exercise in futility. Dhaka is at best compared with a low-end tier 2 city of India.

Born in Kolkata, brought up in Durgapur, then again settled in Kolkata, desher bari in Habra.
I am a Bangal. :)
Nice. I have been to Durgapur. Very nice city. As a matter of fact I will prefer Durgapur over Kolkata.

lmao..par in what ?
Per with sense of proportion.Maharastra and Bangladesh are comparable in economic size.So their capital also comparable in importance.Also Dhaka's economy is not that far from Mumbai.

comparing mumbai wit dhaka??!! lol bro.........even cities like bangalore , hydrabad, delhi-gurgaon-noida are far ahead of dhaka............but dhaka being both the actual and the commercial capital of bangladesh......with proper effort and political will....it will be just like mumbai in no time
Bangalore,Hyderabad are comparable with Chittagong both population and economy wise.Dhaka is as per with Mumbai.There is no comparable city in BD for Delhi,as you have to remember that number of cities in BD is much less due to size difference with India.

Per with sense of proportion.Maharastra and Bangladesh are comparable in economic size.So their capital also comparable in importance.Also Dhaka's economy is not that far from Mumbai.

In economic size - yes.But Delhi along with its sub-cities too is bigger than Dhaka.

In economic size - yes.But Delhi along with its sub-cities too is bigger than Dhaka.
National Capital Region(NCR) of delhi is not a single city rather an amalgamation of several cities.Like Delhi,gurgaon,Noida and others.So population,economy wise it is larger than Dhaka.But if you compare only delhi to Dhaka,Then they are comparable.

Last edited:

Maharashtra's economy is bigger than Bangladesh's, In fact greater Mumbai's economy would be bigger than entire Bangladesh's economy. They should settle for Dhaka vs Burdwan, even Durgapur is better than Dhaka. :P

@Doyalbaba Who is this fat lady in your dp? :P

166646.jpg

According to forecast of IMF for the next five years, Bangladesh gdp will rise from current 205 billion to 322 billion usd in 2020 or 57 percent growth in aggregate.Correspondingly Indian gdp will rise from 2308 billion in 2015 to 3640 billion in 2020, which is also 57 percent growth in aggregate.So India and Bangladesh is expected to maintain current gdp factor ratio for the foreseeable future.For the current fiscal year India is expected to grow 7.5 percent while Bangladesh is 6.5 percent.But in near furure both BD and India are expected to grow in same rate or slightly more for BD, which translate to same growth for both country.

Shaded cells indicate IMF staff estimates
Country Subject Descriptor Units Scale Country/Series-specific Notes 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 2020
Bangladesh Gross domestic product, current prices U.S. dollars Billions 205.327 223.941 245.920 270.044 295.643 321.983
India Gross domestic product, current prices U.S. dollars Billions 2,308.018 2,510.599 2,755.830 3,012.896 3,311.747 3,639.804
Report for Selected Countries and Subjects

So your assumption about Indian states overtaking Bangladesh one by one in gdp volume is not correct.It is only possible if growth in Tamil Nadu or UP is above the Indian average.Which will means growth at the expanse of other states. @Nilgiri Can you provide reliable data on gdp growth rate by Indian state?Then we can discuss about whether or not Tamin Nadu can suppress BD.

A well put argument on the surface. However the big problem with using this data from IMF like you have is:

a) its simply an estimate especially when we got past say 2 years. IMF has known to be off in its predictions for China, India growth predictions by underestimating them (they are being conservative a lot of the time) compared to middle and small sized economies.

b) the numbers are current prices (pure exchange rate conversion) instead of the better constant (real) prices which takes into account things like inflation. Bangladesh inflation rate is quite a lot larger than India's and is predicted to remain much higher in upcoming years. You can check this yourself with google and also using the same IMF query, when you query the deflator and check its growth as well. Read up on difference between Real (constant prices) and nominal (current prices) as well. I know we have been using nominal thus far to get some baseline numbers....but to take this analysis to the next level, we need to understand the difference and be able to understand the significance of that and why Real is a much better indicator than nominal.

c) To provide any sort of 100% reliable data, we unfortunately have to wait for 1 - 2 years. I will own up my prediction is based on my own analysis of the situation concerning investment climate, growth momentum, inflation rate, currency stability and underlying socio-economic parameters of TN compared to Bangladesh. I can go through all of this in very detailed fashion and explain why each one in my head leads to me thinking TN will have a greater economic output than Bangladesh in 2 years time (or maybe slightly more than that time)....but each one is susceptible to how it actually pans out. Again this will take a very long post and I feel we have strayed far enough from the original topic anyway....plus I would have to do a very long statistical analysis to give something like a confidence level for my assertion anyway, and I got to really dig for that data and equation analysis which I dont have time for. Easiest way is to wait a couple years and see what numbers are published and what is achieved.

.But in near furure both BD and India are expected to grow in same rate or slightly more for BD, which translate to same growth for both country.

Again you have used the current prices data to come to this statement. I would suggest querying "Gross domestic product, constant prices Percent change" to compare between two countries accurately. You will notice then that India is predicted by IMF to always have a Real GDP growth of 1% higher than bangladesh in the coming years...because it will be suffering less from inflation. This is again prediction at this point, we will have to wait and see to be 100% certain, lots of things can change within India and Bangladesh in these time frames. These are current "trajectories" if you will....but I for one feel there is more structural acceleration and reforms going on within India that will take the real growth rates even higher (to say past 8 or 9%).

It may be relevant to notice that World Bank predicts higher REAL growth rates for India in future compared to IMF and somewhat lower for Bangladesh:

Forecast Table

So different analysis groups give different weights to certain fundamental parameters to make their projections. It is a bit of a dark art in economics since we are not talking about just a single company....but a wide cacophony of factors in diverse large populations.

Mumbai GDP = Maharashtra GDP. Rest of Maharashtra is slum.

Ever come across Pune?

Pune - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

As one of the largest cities of India and major centre of learning with several colleges and universities, Pune is emerging as a prominent location for IT and manufacturing. Pune has the eighth largest metropolitan economy [59] and the sixth highest per capita income in the country.[60]

The automotive sector is prominent in Pune. It is home to the Automotive Research Association of India, which is responsible for the homologation of all vehicles available in India. All sectors of the automotive industry are represented, from two-wheelers and autorickshaws to cars, tractors, tempos, excavators and trucks. Automotive companies like Tata Motors,Mahindra & Mahindra, Mercedes Benz, Force Motors (Firodia-Group), Kinetic Motors, General Motors, Land Rover, Jaguar, Renault, Volkswagen, and Fiat have set up greenfield facilities near Pune, leading The Independent to cite Pune as India's "Motor City".[61] Several automotive component manufacturers like Saint-Gobain Sekurit, TATA Autocomp Systems Limited, Robert Bosch GmbH, ZF Friedrichshafen AG, Visteon, and Continental AG are located here. One of the leading global consulting firms, Frost & Sullivan, is located on Baner Road.

India's largest engineering conglomerate, the Kirloskar Group, was the first to bring industry to Pune by setting up Kirloskar Oil Engines Ltd. in 1945 at Kirkee in Pune. The Group was originally set up in Kirloskarwadi.[62] Kirloskar Brothers Limited (India's largest manufacturer and exporter of pumps and the largest infrastructure pumping project contractor in Asia[63]), Kirloskar Oil Engines (India's largest diesel engine company[64]), Kirloskar Pneumatics Co. Ltd., and other Kirloskar companies are based in Pune.

The Hinjewadi IT Park (officially called the Rajeev Gandhi IT Park) is a project being started by MIDC to house the IT sector in Pune. When completed, the Hinjawadi IT Park is expected to encompass an area of about 2,800 acres (11 km2). The estimated investment in the project is 600 billion (US$9.1 billion).[65] To facilitate economic growth, the government made liberal incentives in its IT and ITES Policy, 2003 and leased properties on MIDC land.[66] The IT sector employs more than 70,000 people. Software giant Microsoft intends to set up a7 billion (US$110 million) project in Hinjewadi.[66]

Pune Food Cluster development project is an initiative funded by the World Bank. It is being implemented with the help of SIDBI, Cluster Craft to facilitate the development of the fruit and vegetable processing industries in and around Pune.[67][68]

The Meetings, Incentives, Conferencing, Exhibitions trade is expected to get a boost once the Pune International Exhibition and Convention Centre (PIECC) completes in 2017. The 97-hectare PIECC will boast a seating capacity of 20,000, with a floor area of 13,000m2. It will have seven exhibition centres, a convention centre, a golf course, a five-star hotel, a business complex, shopping malls, and residences. The US$115 million project is developed by the Pimpri-Chinchwad New Town Development Authority.[69] Nowadays a growing number of automotive dealerships are springing up all over the city. They include luxury car makers like Jaguar Land Rover, Mercedes Benz, BMW, Audi, and motorcycle manufacturers like Kawasaki, KTM, and Harley Davidson.

---------------

Don't make such ridiculous sweeping statements please.

Last edited:
All I see are repeated attempts at comparing Dhaka's 1985 nominal GDP with Mumbai's 2015 PPP GDP.

Read the PWC report which compares year by year between Dhaka and not only Mumbai but Delhi, Kolkata, Chennai, Bangalore, Hyderabad, Pune, Ahmedabad and Surat. It has been posted umpteen times in this thread already, but for some reason you seem to relish ignoring it.

Why is it so hard for you guys to come up with ONE single valid direct comparison instead of 30 pages of subjective viewpoints?

Hard comparison already covered by PWC global cities report at city level.

And hard comparison already covered by IMF and GSDP data of Indian states...refer to conversation between me and doyalbaba.

---------

P.S Can you show me one production line video of an automotive plant anywhere in Bangladesh?

Are you pissed that your dumb statement that Mumbai-GDP is 100% of Maharashtra GDP has been thrown out of the window like it should?

Mumbai GDP = Maharashtra GDP. Rest of Maharashtra is slum.

lesson for today...research a bit before you post anything .......to avoid embarrassment

"As one of the largest cities of India and major centre of learning with several colleges and universities, Pune is emerging as a prominent location for IT and manufacturing. Pune has the eighth largest metropolitan economy and the sixth highest per capita income in the country"

Pune - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Magarpatta_CyberCity.jpg

Maggarpatta City , Pune

Just one direct current nominal GDP comparison. If it exists, quote it. Everything else is subjective. ;p

http://pwc.blogs.com/files/global-city-gdp-rankings-2008-2025.pdf

Annex B, page 31 onwards. Has direct figures of GDP size of cities in 2008 and prediction for 2025. (rank in brackets)

Dhaka 2008 figure: 78 Billion (77), 2025 prediction: 215 billion (48)

Mumbai 209 Billion (29), 594 billion (11)

Delhi 167 Billion (37) , 482 billion (19)

Kolkata 104 billion (61), 298 Billion (37)

Bangalore 69 billion (84), 203 billion (55)

Chennai 66 billion (87), 191 Billion (60)

Hyderabad 58 billion (93), 170 billion (69)

Ahmedabad, Pune are not far behind.

You really think Nominal versus PPP is going to magically improve Dhaka ranking compared to Indian cities? Dhaka is really that much more expensive of a place that its PPP mulitplier is much lower than Indian cities? ;)

BTW, Mumbai is 6 - 7% of India's GDP. Maharashtra is about 14% of India GDP. I will let you do the basic math to figure out what % of Mahrashatra is Bombay GDP. Clue: its not 100% :cheesy:

All I see are repeated attempts at comparing Dhaka's 1985 nominal GDP with Mumbai's 2015 PPP GDP.

How is 2008 Dhaka PPP GDP equal to 1985 Dhaka nominal GDP? How is Mumbai 2015 PPP GDP equal to Mubai 2008 PPP GDP? The numbers are from two years in the report: 2008 and 2025 prediction. Where are you getting this 2015 and 1985 nonsense?

It's getting boring.:alcoholic: PPP is generally 3/4 times nominal for third world countries like India.

And what is the multiplier for non-third world developed Bangladesh? :pop:

http://pwc.blogs.com/files/global-city-gdp-rankings-2008-2025.pdf

Annex B, page 31 onwards. Has direct figures of GDP size of cities in 2008 and prediction for 2025. (rank in brackets)

Dhaka 2008 figure: 78 Billion (77), 2025 prediction: 215 billion (48)

Mumbai 209 Billion (29), 594 billion (11)

Delhi 167 Billion (37) , 482 billion (19)

Kolkata 104 billion (61), 298 Billion (37)

Bangalore 69 billion (84), 203 billion (55)

Chennai 66 billion (87), 191 Billion (60)

Hyderabad 58 billion (93), 170 billion (69)

Ahmedabad, Pune are not far behind.

You really think Nominal versus PPP is going to magically improve Dhaka ranking compared to Indian cities? Dhaka is really that much more expensive of a place that its PPP mulitplier is much lower than Indian cities? ;)

BTW, Mumbai is 6 - 7% of India's GDP. Maharashtra is about 14% of India GDP. I will let you do the basic math to figure out what % of Mahrashatra is Bombay GDP. Clue: its not 100% :cheesy:

lol....u r jus wasting ur time here ....cant u see...this guy called india a 3rd world....by tat logic BD shld be a 6th world country ...lol n u r still here....jus feel pity tat they will nvr see foxconn/land rover/ibm/google/fb in their country ...wich r in our tier 2 cities already.....n go to sleep :D

lol....u r jus wasting ur time here ....cant u see...this guy called india a 3rd world....by tat logic BD shld be a 6th world country ...lol n u r still here....jus feel pity tat they will nvr see foxconn/land rover/ibm/google/fb in their country ...wich r in our tier 2 cities already.....n go to sleep :D

Of course India is a 3rd world country are you blind or something. Just because you have some big companies based in your country who have simply chose your country to EXPLOIT your manpower. Simple as. Why are you guys so thick, it's unbelievable.

I can name so many companies that have put their call centres in India because they pay you guys PEANUTS. But I dread calling a contact number because of the accent. It's bloody HIPPITY HOPPITY all the time

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom