What's new

Dhaka v/s Kolkata

Status
Not open for further replies.
dhaka might be better than kolkata in bulidings and skyline but kolkata still has better human capital, by a large margin.

Kolkata is growing in size from all sides, urbanization is happening at a faster rate on the outskirts of Kolkata, and mostly these are residential complexes with shopping malls, office complexes, etc. that are urbanizing the outskirts and making Kolkata bigger. The most prominent planned urbanization after Saltlake is Rajarhat. Saltlake was primarily designed for individual houses with only Sector-5 reserved for IT Park (Which was planned much later). Rajarhat is three times as big as Saltlake, and it was planned for mostly highrises with wide roads and all urban comforts. A second and much bigger IT Park is being built there, and residences are majorly gated residential complexes consisting of highrises.

Saltlake Sector-5 IT Park is the old and more developed one, that place is full of skyscrapers, I have already posted some pictures of that earlier, @LaBong has also posted some pictures of Sector-5. Now I am posting some pictures of Rajarhat area. Please also remember that Rajarhat is being built; for every completed projects, there are maybe three under construction projects.

RAJARHAT, KOLKATA:

Eastern_High_-_Rajarhat_2012-04-11_9385.JPG

Newtown-Rajarhat-Bus-stand-Kolkata.2101121_large.jpg

7240728024_e73a8f38fa_z.jpg

1360559649_469812704_1-3-BHK-High-Floor-Apt-in-Uniworld-City-Height-for-rent-Rajarhat.jpg

Rajarhat_New_Town_02September2009+005.JPG

800px-Uniworld_City_entrance.jpg

Webel154.jpg

2304155470_7840623144_z.jpg

Eastern_High_-_Rajarhat_7504.JPG

1364145083_474740313_1-Ready-to-movein-3-Bhk-appartment-with-all-Amenities-in-New-Town-Rajarhat-Kolkata-for-SALE-Rajarhat.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Some more information about Rajathat New Town, Kolkata:

Urban structure

Being a planned township, New Town, has been divided into three Areas, Action Area - I, mainly consisting of Malls, a Sub- CBD, and planned residential and commercial plots; Action Area - II is supposedly planned to have a main Central Business District (CBD), institutional plots, IT Business Parks like DLF and Unitech, and plots for large apartment complexes, it will also house the Kolkata Museum of Modern Art, a open Maidan with an Eco-park built around a waterbody; Action Area - III mainly consists of high rise residential complexes and mini sub-townships like Uniworld City and Sukhobristi. This city covers an area of 28 km2.

Economy

New Town being 3 times the size of Saltlake have been alloted as the second IT Hub of Calcutta. Already several IT majors are operational, while others like TCS (alloted 40 acres ) and Wipro (allotted 45 acres) have been alloted space. Real estate companies like DLF, Bengal Unitech of Unitech group, Shapoorji Pallonji, Singapore based Keppel Land, Ambuja Realty, Bengal Peerless etc. are developing Commercial/Retail/Residential projects,some of which are largely operational today.

Some of the operational IT Companies in New Town includes Cognizant, IBM, Genpact, Capgemini, Tech Mahindra, Ericsson, Accenture, Philips, HCL Technologies, eRevMax, Aegis, Xoriant Corp. and many mid-to small cap Tech firms. IT majors like TCS, CTS, Infosys and Wipro have also acquired prime land in New Town and their facilities will be ready by late 2011 or early 2012.

Leisure & entertainment

Apart from private clubs of every offices and estates, the area has a good number of children's parks and clubs. Notable mention among those will be a water park called Aquatica; a good children's park called Nicco Park; a huge picnic spot consisting of waterbodies called Nalban; and a club for adults with traditional Indian yoga and spa facilities, called Vedic Village.

Several international shopping malls are being constructed in the area, a few of them being already completed. Notable malls are Axis Mall and City Centre. Also, nearing completion is [DLF Galleria mall. The New Town area is a shopper's paradise in the real sense of the term, but all these malls have been planned especially keeping in mind the needs of the elite class. Some of the shopping malls in New Town include (complete as well as planned), City Centre, New Town, Axis Mall, The Terminus, DLF Galleria Mall, Home Town, Block-By-Block, Unitech Downtown Mall and Xtra Mall.

International five-star hotels like ITC Sonar and Hyatt Regency are situated nearby. These hotels have good multicuisine and pub facilities. Some more five-star and super luxurious hotels are planned, including one being recently announced in 2007 by Ratan Tata for his chain of Ginger hotels. The only operational five star hotel being Swissotel Kolkata Neotia Vista. Construction work of other five star hotels such as Novotel and Westin have begun.

Some more pictures of Rajarhat:

DLF_IT_Park_-_Rajarhat_2012-04-11_9380.JPG

Major_Arterial_Road_-_Rajarhat_2012-04-11_9396.JPG

1358937606_475609355_1-2-wheel-parking-free-just-15-minutes-from-Axis-mall-Rajarhat-AA-III-2BHK-23-Lacs-only-Rajarhat.jpg

uniworldrosedale.jpg

6116448346_ded6cb11e9.jpg

61_big.jpg

1366453854_499425011_5-Flat-apartment-for-sale-at-hiland-woods-rajarhat-new-town-kolkata-Real-Estate.jpg

1367047182_505368543_2-Pictures-of--Furnished-Flat-for-Rent-in-New-Town-Rajarhat.jpg

1366858866_504457752_1-DIRECT-FROM-OWNER-Residential-Apartment-in-Rajarhat-Unitech-Kolkata-East-Rajarhat.jpg

1370514902_517602173_9-3-Bedroom-southfacing-appt-at-Unitech-Heights-Rajarhat-.jpg

OMG! kolkata has bhagdadi Jews. In BD there are extremely tiny number of Jews but they hide their religious identity due the extreme hatred towards them among BD Muslims. Their life may also be in danger if they openly say about their religion. I read in Prothom Alo.

In fact a Baghdadi Jew will remain eternally connected with the history of Bangladesh.

J. F. R. Jacob - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

@Anubis @extra terrestrial Finally Dariya-i-noor is here or not?? We were robbed like anything!! :hitwall:

However, Koh-i-noor or Dariya-i-noor; those diamonds are considered as cursed. Brits are an island now and US stooge, Iran is also not in a good shape.

@rongbaz Uporer chobi gulor against e ebar BD highrise er chobi kothay? :D

@IamBengali Thanks bhai, I got to do a lot of research about Kolkata for your thread, I didn't know so many things about Kolkata. Kolkatay ele Gangar Ilish khaoyabo. :D Aro stock ache, post korbo?

@DARIUS Brilliant posts bro!! :tup: Are you from kolkata?

One has to be absolute imbecile to assess the rhythm of a historical city like Calcutta in terms of GDP or any kind of economic measurement. To me this city means to India what the city of Leningrad once meant for Soviet Russia for being the breeding ground of excellent poets, writers, painters, filmmakers,photographers and scientists. Once capital of India,Calcutta holds some of the finest academic establishments like the Asiatic Society and National library.

With a Hindu majority populace,the city have managed to remain as religiously neutral even when the entire neighborhood was bleeding with inter religious violence.To feel the vibes of the city,one have to come to the City and experience the fragrance of this old lady in which not only the Bengalis but the Anglo Indians,Punjabis,Gujratis,Marwaris,Afghans have mixed themselves unknowingly for the last four hundred years.

Excellent post!! Very true!! :tup:

Dariya i noor is the crown jewel of Iran...it is in Iran...what we have in the bank is one of the pieces that was probably cut from the original diamond where Dariya-i-noor came from.

Well, I haven't seen that diamond myself but going with that Banglapedia article, it does seem to be in Sonali Bank and obviously the genuine one. The diamond was under the Iranian authority for a while but was transferred to the Sikhs when the emperor of Punjab attacked Iran and then to the British when they invaded Punjab. Following some events, after partition it was transferred to the Dhaka branch of Imperial Bank of India and has been kept in Dhaka since then.

@Anubis @extra terrestrial Finally Dariya-i-noor is here or not?? We were robbed like anything!! :hitwall:

Don't know, seem to be yes for me! :cuckoo:

Life at kolkata:

Birla Planetarium, Kolkata:

It is the largest planetarium in Asia and the second largest planetarium in the world.

634939696574141664_1.jpg

Prinsep's Ghat:

800px-Calcutta%2C_Prinsep%27s_Ghat.JPG

Shahid Minar:

472px-Shahid_Minar_Kolkata_Arnab_Dutta_2011.jpg

Park Street:

800px-The_Park_%40_Park_Street_%281%29.jpg

College Street:

800px-College_Street_-_Kolkata_7397.JPG

22 Camac Street Mall:

800px-22_Camac_St_%283%29.jpg

South City Mall:

800px-SC_Mall_%282%29.JPG

View of Chowringhee Road:

800px-Calcutta_skyline.jpg

Howrah Bridge from Millennium Park:

Howrah_Bridge_from_Millennium_Park.jpg

Dakhshineswar Temple, Estd:1855:

800px-Kolkatatemple.jpg

luul, now open another thread - shakib al hasan vs ravindra jadeza

@DRAY .. the photos give wrong impression, kolkata is quite dirty and looks like a very old city compared to most other cities. Although it looks marginally better now (after mamta didi painted it blue/white)

Slums are there man. No doubt the city is dirty. But if that is the case, we can't post pics of any Asian cities!! Only American and European cities will suffice the criteria then. :)

no yaar i mean why fool others with just glamorous side of your city while ignoring the negative side and poor people of the city. show boht sides of the coin..yea na hoo k udar ja kar socha kuch aur hoo aur dekhney ko kuch aur milhey..he is posting pic of tall building as if calcutta is another dubai

no yaar i mean why fool others with just glamorous side of your city while ignoring the negative side and poor people of the city. show boht sides of the coin..yea na hoo k udar ja kar socha kuch aur hoo aur dekhney ko kuch aur milhey..he is posting pic of tall building as if calcutta is another dubai

Generally when people compare two cities they post positive sides of their respective cities, that's the whole point of this thread isn't it?

There's no point comparing slums of Kolkata, Delhi, Mumbai, Karachi and Dhaka and find out which one is dirtiest. All subcontinental cities are unplanned and dirty and have slums, however because of this should one stop feeling proud of Delhi's awesome transport, Mumbai's skyline, Karachi's beautiful beach and Kolkata's heritage and quite developed eastern fringe? :)

Both cities suck and both countries are thrid world shitholes. Comparing Dhaka and Calcutta/Any other Indian city is like comparing Mogadishu to Ghana... See?
Its better to live in a shithole rather than living in a hole full of RDX and IED's that could go off at anytime.Actually the problem with u guys is that u'll know nothing about anything other than whatever crap is being taught to u guys in the Madarsaas and when the reality is brought out in the open all u guys are capable of doing is coming up with insulting and derogatory comments!!I do not know much about Dhaka but I am pretty sure that leaving out the roads and only roads Kolkata could be easily compared or I would say could easily surpass any of your tier I Pakistani cities.And FYI Kolkata had a full fledged Metro Rail system (Fully Underground) as far back as 1985 which u people could only dream of even now in the 21st century

@DRAY .. the photos give wrong impression, kolkata is quite dirty and looks like a very old city compared to most other cities. Although it looks marginally better now (after mamta didi painted it blue/white)
There is no doubt that Kolkata is a very old city and dirty as well,but at the same time its progressive and has put into place a basic structure that could help it emerge as any world class city.For those of u who do not know Kolkata had a communist ruling party for 34 years and what do u expect these suppose might have done other than brainwashing the average Kolkatan to think that he is poor and the commie would fight for them if they remain in power?? I will tell u,THEY KEPT THE AVERAGE KOLKATAN POOR!!! But things are picking up. AFA the slums are concerned as posted by @Raja.Pakistani everybody in Kolkata knows who are the people staying in the Keshtopur slums that cropped up alongside the Bagjola Khal!! :cheesy:

Yes, Kolkata is actually one of the oldest cities in the world. But here we are discussing Dhaka v/s Kolkata, both of us are showing our bests. And those buildings are in reply to your your comment: "dhaka might be better than kolkata in bulidings and skyline but kolkata still has better human capital, by a large margin."....hence, my post is to prove otherwise, for the bold part of your comment only. :)

Btw, there are large areas in the city which are clean and beautiful, Saltlake, Rajarhat, parts of south and central Kolkata, etc. like in any cities there are good and there are bad things.

In a "v/s" thread will you show good things of your side, or bad things? Yeah, BDs can post bad things about Kolkata, but we both were civil in this thread and not bad mouthing against each other. If there is a Karachi v/s Chandigarh thread, will you post photos of the slums in your city? :)

You may also check heritage sites of Kolkata in the previous pages, those pictures are nice with some descriptions. Slums are there in every city and they all look the same, when you visit a place you don't plan tour in slum areas, do you?

Yes, Kolkata is actually one of the oldest cities in the world.

I don't agree. Kolkata is one of the oldest city of India, not world. Most of the oldest city in the world is located in middle east, europe & China. In Bengal, the earliest historical records of the city of Chittagong date back to the 4th century BC, when sailors from the area embarked on voyages to Southeast Asia. The 2nd century Graeco-Roman geographer Ptolemy mentioned the port on his map as one of the finest harbours in Asia and the eastern frontier of the Indian subcontinent.
In 12th century King Ballal Sen established dhakeshwari temple. After that the area was growing up around that temple. During 14th centuri Shah Ali baghdadi came to Dhaka. During that period other 28 muslim saints came here to spread Islam. There tombs are still in Dhaka as mazar. In Bengal, Kolkata is not the oldest city.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom