What's new

Dhaka v/s Kolkata

Status
Not open for further replies.
The day Pakistan gets rid of radical terrorists like u, it will progress much more.

I would rather blow my self up then rape unlike like you. Rapist like you should be in jail and executed, hopefully Bharat get rid of you soon.

Is drinking/serving Alcohol legal in bangaldesh cuz I know in pakistan it is not?

Pakistanis as usual bringing in negativity in this thread.

For all Bong brothers , here's the JHAL MURI ( spiced up puffed rice ) :

jhal+muri+12.jpg

street_food_jhal-muri_in_kolkata_27.jpg

The only two words I ever learned in Bengali were .... Chutir Baal Don't know if they are correct or not .. but here they are for the stuck up Kuntzzz !!!!

Generally when people compare two cities they post positive sides of their respective cities, that's the whole point of this thread isn't it?

There's no point comparing slums of Kolkata, Delhi, Mumbai, Karachi and Dhaka and find out which one is dirtiest. All subcontinental cities are unplanned and dirty and have slums, however because of this should one stop feeling proud of Delhi's awesome transport, Mumbai's skyline, Karachi's beautiful beach and Kolkata's heritage and quite developed eastern fringe? :)

Actually topic is not about comparison of positive/elite model of Dhaka vs Kolkata. Its about who is getting more progress. How do we measure the progress/greatness of a city? What makes a city great and worth living? Is it tall decorated buildings/Malls/plaza? Is it standard of cleanliness and living conditions of people in city ? Is it good and organise transportation system? or its good health and safety facilities, rule of laws and its implementation, access to clean water and food, good roads/ pedestrians, jobs opportunities, less poverty and inequality, health care and education facilities not just for elite class but for everyone who live in city etc,

Why bringing just big shopping malls plaza or tall glorious buildings, five stars hotels and elite class housing society where majority of middle or poor class of Kolkata are not even allowed to enter.

Kolkata's poor poorer than the rest - Times Of India

If grinding poverty hurts your sensibilities, Kolkata is not the place to be in. Beyond the glitz of new street lights and fresh paint lies a world of abject poverty where people barely manage to eek out a living.

The provisional estimates of below poverty line (BPL) surveys in the city pegs the per capita income of poor in Kolkata at Rs 27 a day. The poor residing in Bengal's villages are still worse off, earning Rs 21 a day. The national per capita earning in cities and towns is Rs 32, while it is Rs 26 in villages.

Incidentally, West Bengal is fifth in the poverty charts, behind only Uttar Pradesh, Bihar, Madhya Pradesh and Maharashtra. A whopping 22% of the urban population in Bengal is in BPL category. The state's overall BPL ratio is 26%.

Worse still, a majority of them have no hope of ever getting out of the hole. "These people are caught in a vicious trap. Since they are either homeless or reside in unregistered slums, they don't have identity proofs like voter's ID or ration card. As most of them have never voted, they don't form a vote bank to interest political parties. The marginalization becomes absolute as they cannot avail of poverty alleviation schemes," said Action Aid regional manager Chittaranjan Mondal.

According to the 2011 Census, there are 70,000 homeless living in Kolkata, up from 55,000 in 2001. NGOs feel the actual numbers will be much higher, pointing out that states suppress the numbers to improve the credit rating.

According to a rapid assessment survey that was done to check the concentration of urban poor, 37,760 homeless were reported in Kolkata, 14,000-odd in Howrah and a few hundreds in Asansol. Though there are 24 shelters in the three towns, only half of them function.

Action Aid, alongwith Griha Adhikar Mancha, Paschim Banga Jiban Jigbika Suraksha Mancha, Kolkata Naba Jagaran Mancha and Maheshtala Naba Jagaran Mancha have joined hands to form a network-A Just City For All-that will help the poor, destitutes and homeless in cities. In the first phase, NGOs will work in 50 wards of Kolkata and 25 wards each in Howrah and Asansol. Next year, they will extend the service to Siliguri, Durgapur, Maheshtala, Dum Dum.

"We are trying to hand over the Antodaya Annapurna cards to them so that they can avail of subsidised foodgrains. Though 500,000 cards are earmarked for distribution, only 1,492 cards have been distributed till now. We are trying to bring many more urban poor under the scheme," said Reshmi Ganguly Bhattacharyya of The Calcutta Samaritans.

The city's beautification drive, chief minister Mamata Banerjee's pet project, also came in for flak as it is pushing the homeless to the brink. "Most of the homeless are rag-pickers, who collect, store and sell recyclable garbage. The beautification drive has made it difficult for them to survive as stocking the garbage has been made a punishable offence," pointed out Md Ishrafil of NGO Right Track.

Pakistanis as usual bringing in negativity in this thread.

For all Bong brothers , here's the JHAL MURI ( spiced up puffed rice ) :

jhal+muri+12.jpg

street_food_jhal-muri_in_kolkata_27.jpg

Jhal Muri ... Lolzz!!

The only two words I ever learned in Bengali were .... Chutir Baal Don't know if they are correct or not .. but here they are for the stuck up Kuntzzz !!!!

I wanted to correct the word you spelled, but I might get banned for that. So leave it! :D

Jhal Muri ... Lolzz!!
I wanted to correct the word you spelled, but I might get banned for that. So leave it! :D

Bhavnao ko samjho .... Learned it from some mobile uncensored ads. If you have some time to kill just go through them. they are fcukin amazing. totally based on IPL teams and full on MC BC.

Dada ko kuch mat bolna ..... :pissed::taz:

Actually topic is not about comparison of positive/elite model of Dhaka vs Kolkata. Its about who is getting more progress. How do we measure the progress/greatness of a city? What makes a city great and worth living? Is it tall decorated buildings/Malls/plaza?

Well, tall decorated buildings/Malls/plaza etc. are an indicator of development of a city, presence of these things means that these things are economically sustainable in this city. To some extent it shows the economic condition of the city.

Is it standard of cleanliness and living conditions of people in city ? Is it good and organise transportation system? or its good health and safety facilities, rule of laws and its implementation, access to clean water and food, good roads/ pedestrians, jobs opportunities, less poverty and inequality, health care and education facilities not just for elite class but for everyone who live in city etc,

How do you measure cleanliness? I don't know about any cleanliness index, but I find this city clean enough to live, pollution is there, but that's there in any city. I have already posted about the public transport system, also posted a detailed post about the metro rail system. Let me know if you want to know further. I haven't posted about healthcare, okay, I will do it. Safety and rule of law is fair enough as per the sub-continent standard, in fact better than many other parts in the sub-continent. Clean water is available in plenty and for all, taps are available on roads also, free of cost, drinking it for years and still surviving without a problem. Food is cheaper than most other cities, office goers get fresh hot meal in roadside hotels for as low as 10-12 rupees, and if you go up, then sky is the limit, the city is known for food, we even have a street named as "Khaoya Gali"!! Jobs are available, one can find unemployed youth in other parts of West Bengal, but in kolkata only too lazy ones will remain unemployed, otherwise jobs are available as per the abilities. Inequality?? You mean economic inequality?? Where it doesn't exist?? I have already mentioned about education, and I mentioned about Govt. institutes only, not the private institutes, and education is available for all in Govt. institutes if one has the talent. I didn't mention about the basic/school education system, there are numerous Govt. and private schools, see, in city this is not a problem, and culture of education is now their even in the poorest classes, even if the parents are uneducated, their children are in school, our maids children study in a English-medium school.

See, we are only responding to what BDs posting, these things never came up with them, if you want to discuss them fair enough, please open a Kolkata v/s your city thread, we can discuss it their.

Why bringing just big shopping malls plaza or tall glorious buildings, five stars hotels and elite class housing society where majority of middle or poor class of Kolkata are not even allowed to enter.

Let me answer since I am mostly posting about Kolkata in this thread, I posted about shopping malls and hotels when BDs posted theirs, in fact the thread was opened with photos of aerial views of buildings and skylines. I posted some photos of tall buildings when someone said BD has better buildings. Mostly I am reciprocating, but on my own I have posted about educational institutions (Govt. run), public transport, metro rail system, and lots of information and photos about sports facilities, heritage sites, tourist spots, etc. If you want to compare something else, then you may post on BDs behalf, I will surely reply, or you can start a Kolkata v/s your city thread and let me know. :)

@Raja.Pakistani And in this v/s thread I am not countering your post about poverty in kolkata, because as per pdf standards I have to compare poverty with Dhaka, which I am not doing since BD members didn't raise this.

However, I am not a strong believer of these per capita figures. Our economies are not that organized to show correct figures. Parallel unorganized economies run, even in organized businesses we have "Kachcha" and "Pakka" business, i.e. business that are not shown/shown in the books (major business is kachcha business, up to 95%, I know it first hand due to my area of work), in unorganized sectors things are more difficult. There is no concrete way to measure economic values of work of a auto/taxi/rickshaw driver, unorganized labor, maids, small shop owners, etc. these are all kachcha, i.e. unreported. Even private practice of doctors, parts of advocate fees, income from private tuition by a tax paying teacher, some rent income, etc. go unreported.

Things are even more cumbersome in villages, agriculture in non-taxable, and whole village economy is mostly unorganized. just for an example, village people can grow/farm/hunt their own food grain, vegetables, eggs, meat, milk, fruits, fish, crabs, and what not, how these are measured? Sometimes daily labors earn their wages partly in food grain, etc. How do you measure that? Are you sure that huge unorganized economic activity is properly reflected in those economic data? It is not, if you just look at those figures reported.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is drinking/serving Alcohol legal in bangaldesh cuz I know in pakistan it is not?

Drinking is legal....serving is legal for those who hold license!But most of the alcohol consumed in the country are neither legal nor foreign drinks(wine/beer/whisky) nor safe.Usually prepared in villages and many cases cause methanol poisoning!Muslims and Hindus usually do not drink.Christians drink on special occasions and ethnic minorities like Chakmas and others drink almost everyday!

Actually topic is not about comparison of positive/elite model of Dhaka vs Kolkata. Its about who is getting more progress. How do we measure the progress/greatness of a city? What makes a city great and worth living? Is it tall decorated buildings/Malls/plaza? Is it standard of cleanliness and living conditions of people in city ? Is it good and organise transportation system? or its good health and safety facilities, rule of laws and its implementation, access to clean water and food, good roads/ pedestrians, jobs opportunities, less poverty and inequality, health care and education facilities not just for elite class but for everyone who live in city etc,

First build them in Pakistan and then talk. Know your country's condition first and after that talk about Indian cities. Height of jealousy. Kolkata's economy is bigger than any city in Pakistan.:azn:

Actually topic is not about comparison of positive/elite model of Dhaka vs Kolkata. Its about who is getting more progress. How do we measure the progress/greatness of a city? What makes a city great and worth living? Is it tall decorated buildings/Malls/plaza? Is it standard of cleanliness and living conditions of people in city ? Is it good and organise transportation system? or its good health and safety facilities, rule of laws and its implementation, access to clean water and food, good roads/ pedestrians, jobs opportunities, less poverty and inequality, health care and education facilities not just for elite class but for everyone who live in city etc.

These points have already been addressed, if you just read the discussion. Picturesque buildings were posted in reply to a post, not as development model of the city.

Dhaka is almost inhabitable -

1. It doesn't have a mass public transport system.
2. Doesn't have high value good service industry.
3. No light life and bars/pubs.
4. No Cinemas/Multiplexes and movie industry.
5. No good university, Engg/management schools.
6. Volatile political situation where extremist jamati/hefajatis run amok every now and then.

While most part of Kolkata still looks like they haven't changed a bit since 70s but it still has

1. IT, Pharma and other high value, pollution less industry.
2. Jadavpur Uni, Bengal Engg College, IIM Joka, IIT KGP, ISI Kolkata and other top Indian universities, reaserch institutions.
3. A Nightlife where girls can equally enjoy with boys, while being careful offcourse! :P
4. Good movie industry + multiplexes.
5. Functioning transport + metro.
etc etc.

Forgot to add point - There's no load-shedding in Kolkata. ;)

Incidentally, West Bengal is fifth in the poverty charts, behind only Uttar Pradesh, Bihar, Madhya Pradesh and Maharashtra. A whopping 22% of the urban population in Bengal is in BPL category. The state's overall BPL ratio is 26%.

I'm not sure which chart is that, there are so many poverty charts these days! However recent multi dimensional poverty index adopted by GOI committee which was headed by Raghuram Rajan puts West Bengal in middle category along along with Gujrat etc, not least developed like Bihar, UP or most developed like South Indian states. Anyway poverty is there, but Kolkata is not strikingly poor than rest of subcontinent or Dhaka in this case, so we didn't think it worth mentioning.

I would rather blow my self up then rape unlike like you. Rapist like you should be in jail and executed, hopefully Bharat get rid of you soon.

The way Suicide bombing is becoming popular in Pakistan, I am not surprised you would like to do that.

I have visited Kolkata few months ago and neutrally speaking, in terms of tall highrises, Dhaka beats Kolkata by far, Kolkata's most posh suburbs like Salt lake and Rajarhat are at best comparable to Dhaka's Shantinagar, Mouchak areas while posh areas like Gulshan, Banani, Baridhara etc are way ahead, not just the number of highrises but also their architectural styles, simply gorgeous, new highrises are popping up in almost every major street and most of them are covered by glass. On the other hand Kolkata has a brilliant transport system, something in which Dhaka seriously lags behind.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom