What's new

Dhaka v/s Kolkata

Status
Not open for further replies.
Behala Flying Club at Kolkata

Open to members and also used as a helipad for tourism and chartered flights.

behala_airport.jpg

20130720-234544.jpg

1372426681-india-behala-flying-club-start-commercial-helicopter-service_2199342.jpg

images

And in case if anybody complaints that the model is not visible clearly. :D

KQ5157b569bb6391.38789607.jpg

Last edited:
Dhaka is the capital of Bangladesh and Calcutta is the worst big metro city in India,if only the communists did not rule west bengal.

Dhaka is the capital of Bangladesh and Calcutta is the worst big metro city in India,if only the communists did not rule west bengal.

Yet, those 24 pages in this thread are showing something interesting! :)

Yet, those 24 pages in this thread are showing something interesting! :)
This guy(or girl) is a known Bengali hater, he sees communists everywhere in his khaki chaddi induced wet dream.

This guy(or girl) is a known Bengali hater, he sees communists everywhere in his khaki chaddi induced wet dream.
You don't have to be Bengali hater to say what he said. I lived in Kol for 5 yrs... sorry to say, even though individual people were nice, the sate of affairs were sad.... all looks shiny from the viewfinder... but when you go there, see the places then you realize what the place looks like actually... It is not pretty at all... I am not saying that Kolkata alone is dirty, in fact, all south Asian cities are.. but out of 3 metros visited by me in India, Kol is by far the worst.. in every aspect.....

You don't have to be Bengali hater to say what he said. I lived in Kol for 5 yrs... sorry to say, even though individual people were nice, the sate of affairs were sad.... all looks shiny from the viewfinder... but when you go there, see the places then you realize what the place looks like actually... It is not pretty at all... I am not saying that Kolkata alone is dirty, in fact, all south Asian cities are.. but out of 3 metros visited by me in India, Kol is by far the worst.. in every aspect.....
That guy is a Bengali hater not for the post I quoted but for his/her usual flame baiting Bengalis whose only fault seems to be Bengalis are not RSS supporters in bunch.

I'm not sure when you lived in Kolkata however, I do agree most part of Kolkata, specially the northern fringe looks very dirty and seems haven't changed from 70s, however as my previous post suggests - Kolkata has it's basics firmly in place, which are - workable mass transport, good educational institutions, high value service industry, good human resource, no load-shedding etc which are absent in Dhaka.

I have lived in other metros as well, and I found old Dilli and Chennai's Merina beach side, OMR roads etc equally if not dirtier than North Kolkata and I'm sure there are dirtier sides of Mumbai as well, like you said most South Asian cities are dirty, so getting into argument regarding which city is more dirty is like - "your shirt is torn, so what your fly is open".

I'm not sure when you lived in Kolkata however, I do agree most part of Kolkata, specially the northern fringe looks very dirty and seems haven't changed from 70s, however as my previous post suggests - Kolkata has it's basics firmly in place, which are - workable mass transport, good educational institutions, high value service industry, good human resource, no load-shedding etc which are absent in Dhaka.

So you think your repetitive prejudiced post makes it evident, even when it has already been countered by the post below?

Dhaka's public transport system is improving. We now have many flyovers in the city. The flyovers are not just one or two km long. There is already a 12 km elevated expressway linking 30 districts with with it. Anothed 10 km Elevated 3 story flyover is under construction. BRT is in constducyion stage now. MRT will take time. Hopefully next year the construction will start.

It does have night life at elite areas like Gulshan and Banani but since its Muslim nation the bars and clubs are seen as taboo here and also society is still conservative. Will not let anyone have party at mid night.

There are like thousands of shopping centres. The 3rd biggest mall in Asia is here. Even Bashundhara City is also one of the biggest in South Asia.

There is movie industry but since the industry is crap and bollywood is not allowed yet there are only two multiplexes in the city as of now but currently 3/4 cineplexes are in construction.

There are good universities. Dhaka University was the oxford of the subcontinent but now that glory is not there but BUET is one of the best engg uni in the subcontinent. Also many Pakistani and Indians are studying in Dhaka medical and Salimullah medical.

Kolkata has a good public transport system which Dhaka lacks as of now and that's the only area where Kolkata is ahead of Dhaka. You said Kolkata has no load shedding, well that's a huge relief to it's residents but that too has some unfavorable reasons as I heard the residents of Kolkata tend to move to other metros of India because of the better opportunities there, hence the demands of electricity would be decreasing which ensure the uninterrupted flow. I've a friend from Narshingdi, a small town in Bangladesh and as he told me, there is no load-shedding in Narsingdi, now that doesn't prove that Narsingdi is ahead of Dhaka, since the demand in Dhaka is ever increasing which is not the case in Narsingdi. Anyway we have enough neutral posts in this thread which clearly highlights which city is better.

Last edited:
So you think your repetitive prejudiced post makes it evident, even when it has already been countered?

Kolkata has a good public transport system which Dhaka lacks as of now and that's the only area where Kolkata is ahead of Dhaka. You said Kolkata has no load shedding, well that's a huge relief to it's residents but that too has some unfavorable reasons as I heard the residents of Kolkata tend to move to other metros of India because of the better opportunities there, hence the demands of electricity would be decreasing which ensure the uninterrupted flow. I've a friend from Narshingdi, a small town in Bangladesh and as he told me, there is no load-shedding in Narsingdi, now that doesn't prove that Narsingdi is ahead of Dhaka, since the demand in Dhaka is ever increasing which is not the case in Narsingdi.
GDP of Dhaka is half of Kolkata. It shows the economic activities in Dhaka.:whistle:

Last edited:
Give me new figures.:dance3:

We don't have any city based GDP figures published by our government hence can't get the latest figures for Dhaka. Moreover, our Statistic bureau is not that modernized as the Indian one (though a mordernization program is underway which is expected to be complete by 2014), we only switched to the base year of 2005-2006 few months ago from the previous one of 1994-95, while India has been using it's current base year of 2004-05 for years.

We don't have any city based GDP figures published by our government hence can't get the latest figures for Dhaka. Moreover, our Statistic bureau is not that modernized as the Indian one, we only switched to the base year of 2005-2006 few months ago from the previous one of 1994-95, while India has been using it's current base year of 2004-05 for years.
I knew that you have no answer or rebuttal and can only post garbage.
Kolkata- $150 billion(PPP)
Dhaka- $78 billion(PPP)
Data of 2008, not 1994-95.

I knew that you have no answer or rebuttal and can only post garbage.
Kolkata- $150 billion(PPP)
Dhaka- $78 billion(PPP)
Data of 2008, not 1994-95.

Trust me dude, it's my long cherished dream that Kolkata will one day get decent economy teachers so that you guys don't embarrass yourselves in future.

The figure for Kolkata you posted is of 2013 with the base year of 2004/05 while the figure of Dhaka is of 2008 with the base year of 1994/95 and that too an estimation of london based organization, can't rely on this figure.

So you think your repetitive prejudiced post makes it evident, even when it has already been countered by the post below?

Kolkata has a good public transport system which Dhaka lacks as of now and that's the only area where Kolkata is ahead of Dhaka. You said Kolkata has no load shedding, well that's a huge relief to it's residents but that too has some unfavorable reasons as I heard the residents of Kolkata tend to move to other metros of India because of the better opportunities there, hence the demands of electricity would be decreasing which ensure the uninterrupted flow. I've a friend from Narshingdi, a small town in Bangladesh and as he told me, there is no load-shedding in Narsingdi, now that doesn't prove that Narsingdi is ahead of Dhaka, since the demand in Dhaka is ever increasing which is not the case in Narsingdi. Anyway we have enough neutral posts in this thread which clearly highlights which city is better.

I'm not prejudiced and my points haven't been countered.

You yourself agree that Kolkata has better public transport than Dhaka(in fact Dhaka has no public transport, so any city will be better than Dhaka), and came up with a hilarious example of some village to counter the abysmal power situation of Dhaka, and then you blame me of being prejudiced, the irony of it.

My other points are also valid, if you don't concur then you are free to post counter argument, just don't waste my time with what you heard from your dehat ka dost. Sorry that doesn't count.

It is not for a reason Dhaka is chosen as least habitable city in the world.

I'm not prejudiced and my points haven't been countered.

You yourself agree that Kolkata has better public transport than Dhaka(in fact Dhaka has no public transport, so any city will be better than Dhaka), and came up with a hilarious example of some village to counter the abysmal power situation of Dhaka, and then you blame me of being prejudiced, the irony of it.

My other points are also valid, if you don't concur then you are free to post counter argument, just don't waste my time with what you heard from your dehat ka dost. Sorry that doesn't count.

It is not for a reason Dhaka is chosen as least habitable city in the world.

"Dhaka has no public transport"- well that's just another example of your prejudice against Bangladeshis.

My example of Narsingdi was to justify that only having a good electricity flow doesn't prove that a city is better rather it also shows a dark side of it.

I surely don't concur on your points which has already been countered by IamBengali, as I quoted in my earlier post and I'm also not inclined to indulge in dirty counter arguments like you constantly post - "Kolkata has good primary schools while Dhaka has none so Kolkata>Dhaka".

And for your info the survey which chose Dhaka as least habitable city in the world didn't even care to include Kolkata in their study.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom