Status
Not open for further replies.
Jatrabari Flyover, Dhaka
Jatrabari flyover.jpg

Jahajbari, Dhanmondi Lake, Dhaka
5646391_f1024.jpg

Doinik Bangla mor, Dhaka
City Center.jpg

Photo of this shopping mall has been posted 10 times already!! How many Dhaka has?

Edit: this Rupashi Bangla hotel was also there 10 times! :D
Sorry, I didn't notice. 
In my opinion, Dhakaias are not cinema crazy as Indians. Most of the Dhakaias are workoholic. May be that's the reason for less multiplexes.

Last edited:
List of shopping malls in Kolkata
This is a list of shopping malls in Kolkata Metropolitan Region , India. Shopping malls became to dot the landscape of the city since the beginning of 21st century. Currently, several shopping malls are constructed in the city and many more are currently under construction or proposed.

Shopping Malls (Current)

South City Mall - Biggest Shopping Mall in East India

Mani Square - Third Biggest Shopping Mall in East India

Forum Mall - One of the most popular malls in Kolkata

Forum Courtyard - A premium mall, extension of Forum

Axis Mall

Fort Knox Jewellery Mall, Camac St

HomeTown on Major Arterial road at Rajarhat

Silver Arcade, EM Bypass

The list below gives you the names of all the major shopping malls in Kolkata, India.

Name Location Year Size
South City Mall Jodhpur Park, Jadavpur 2008 1,000,000 sq ft (93,000 m2)
Quest Mall Ballygunge 2013 730,000 sq ft (68,000 m2)
City Centre Salt Lake City 2004 400,000 sq ft (37,000 m2)
Riverside Mall Howrah 2011 603,000 sq ft (56,000 m2)
Forum Mall Elgin Road, Bhowanipore 2003 200,000 sq ft (19,000 m2)
Forum Courtyard Mall Lee Road 2010 110,000 sq ft (10,000 m2)
Mani Square EM Bypass 2008 710,000 sq ft (66,000 m2)
City Centre II Rajarhat 2009 350,000 sq ft (33,000 m2)
Axis Mall Rajarhat 2010 350,000 sq ft (33,000 m2)
Metropolis Mall Hiland Park, Chawkgaria 2004 175,000 sq ft (16,300 m2)
Merlin Homeland Mall Bhowanipore 2007 105,000 sq ft (9,800 m2)
Fort Knox Camac Street 2007 80,000 sq ft (7,400 m2)
Metro Plaza Ho Chi Min Sarani 1998
Gariahat Mall Ballygunge 2005 110,000 sq ft (10,000 m2)
Hometown Rajarhat 2010 200,000 sq ft (19,000 m2)
22 Camac Street Camac Street 2000 300,000 sq ft (28,000 m2)
E Mall Chandni Chowk 2007 80,000 sq ft (7,400 m2)
Silver Arcade EM Bypass 2008 200,000 sq ft (19,000 m2)
RDB Boulevard Salt Lake, Sector V 2007 120,000 sq ft (11,000 m2)
Downtown Mall Salt Lake 2010 100,000 sq ft (9,300 m2)
Mukti World Ballygunge 2010 75,000 sq ft (7,000 m2)
Enclave Alipore 2006 60,000 sq ft (5,600 m2)
RD Mall Liluah, Howrah 2010 120,000 sq ft (11,000 m2)
City Mall Barasat 2011
Diamond Plaza Jessore Road (Nagerbazar) 2012 227,250 sq ft (21,112 m2)[1]
Wood Square Narendrapur 2012
Lake Mall Rashbehari Avenue 2013 250,000 sq ft (23,000 m2)
DLF 'The Galleria' Rajarhat 2013 500,000 sq ft (46,000 m2)
Simpark Mall Esplanade 2008
Treasure Island Market Esplanade 2001
Shriram Arcade Esplanade 2002
Aircondition Market Ho Chi Minh Sarani 2002
Satyanaryan Park A.C. market Kalakar Street 2000

Upcoming Malls (Under Construction or Proposed)

Lake Mall under construction (2012) on Rashbehari Avenue.

Barnaparichay Book-Mall under construction (2010) at College street and Mahatma Gandhi road crossing.

The list below gives you the names of the upcoming shopping malls (either under construction or proposed) in Kolkata, India.

Name Location Size
SS-40 40 Shakespeare Sarani 70,000 sq ft (6,500 m2)
Barnaparichay Book Mall College Street 900,000 sq ft (84,000 m2)
Panthapadap Mall Madhyamgram 200,000 sq ft (19,000 m2)
Junction Mall Barasat 150,000 sq ft (14,000 m2)
Prakriti Plaza Sodepur
Acropolis Kasba 400,000 sq ft (37,000 m2)
Park View EM Bypass 1,100,000 sq ft (100,000 m2)
Unitech Downtown Mall Rajarhat
AMP Baisakhi Salt Lake
Unitech Chambers Retail Complex R B Connector, Kasba
Kolkata Central Ballygunge 350,000 sq ft (33,000 m2)
Genexx Mall Thakurpukur
Forum Rangoli Howrah 350,000 sq ft (33,000 m2)
Epicenter Mall Rajarhat 1,000,000 sq ft (93,000 m2)
Esplanade Mall Batanagar, Calcutta Riverside 450,000 sq ft (42,000 m2)
Uptown Mall B T Road
Ozone Mall VIP Road 150,000 sq ft (14,000 m2)
Centrus Mall Rajarhat
Mani Square II Bantala
Globe Mall Lindsay Street

There are some more smaller malls in Kolkata.

Gulshan Skyline
Gulshan skyline.jpg

If I post all the list of images of all Dhaka shopping malls it will require the whole night. All of the shopping malls of India are smaller and less gorgeous than Basundhara City and Jamuna Future park.

More Japanese funds for Dhaka Metro
Project to start 2 years early

The commencement and the completion of metro rail project had been brought forward, as Japan has increased fund for the venture, Finance Minister AMA Muhith said yesterday.
The Japan International Cooperation Agency (Jica) has already committed Tk 16,594 crore of the estimated Tk 21,985 crore for the project, while the government is to bear the rest.
However, it is not yet confirmed how much additional fund Jica will provide for the project. Asked, officials of the Economic Relations Division did not make any comment about it.
Initially, the project was supposed to roll out in 2016, but now it would begin in 2014. For this, it would now be completed by 2018 instead of 2021, Muhith told reporters after a meeting at the cabinet division.
His comments came after the cabinet committee on purchase approved a proposal for the appointment of contractor for the project.
The government has appointed a consortium led by Nippon Koei Company, a Japanese firm. The committee, at a meeting in the Secretariat chaired by Muhith, approved the appointment of the consultant, a consortium of six firms.
The project will include elevated metro rail of 20.1 kilometre, 16 stations, and one depot. The project will commence with the work of the depot.
“I hope some parts of the project will be functional before 2018,” said Muhith.
The Japanese company, which has been appointed as the consultant for eight years, will get Tk 928.17 crore to complete the project under the Dhaka Mass Rapid Transit Development Project.

Very good, Dhaka badly need that. Kolkata Metro was the first in Indian subcontinent, running since 1984. More new projects are going on to increase the network to 120.03 km with 96 stations. One key achievement will be connecting Kolkata with Howrah by an underwater metro line, the metro will run 1,500 ft (460 m) under the Hooghly (Ganges) River — the first underwater metro in India. The first phase will be operational in September 2015. Already posted about it in details in previous pages.
Btw, Kolkata Metro is very clean.

If I post all the list of images of all Dhaka shopping malls it will require the whole night. All of the shopping malls of India are smaller and less gorgeous than Basundhara City and Jamuna Future park.

:D Okay, then Dhaka has two shopping malls I guess!!!! :D
What are the floor spaces of these two shopping malls? :D

Last edited:
That's the most weirdest sh!t I have ever read. Please FedEx me some of the sh!t you have been smoking. :P

First of all kolkata is not a village, it's a big metro with millions of people and it's gdp is much higher than Dhaka and only after Mumbai and NCR in India. Lots of people goes out of kolkata but in the meantime lots of people also migrate to Kolkata.

And even if it was a small town with no industry then also no load-shedding would have considered a good thing.

But I must give it to your patriotism, according to you even load-shedding is a plus point of Dhaka. :lol:

And your small town in Bangladesh with 24 7 power looks like just lots of weed like rest of your posts :lol: 

Here comes the favourite Bangladeshi excuse of base year of gdp. Before adopting the new base year they used to say that gdp will be doubled once 2005 is adopted. But in real world, not in the lala land they graze on, things didn't work out as such and gdp only increased by a tiny 18 billion with a new base year. Even if we attribute the whole increased gdp to Dhaka still it's gdp stands much lower than kolkata.

Digital Bangladesh ftw! :lol:

Come up with latest figures published by the respective national statistic bureaus of both the cities than compare. Dhaka is way ahead of Kolkata dude, that's an easy guess.

Well, it will take lotta time to learn fair economic comparisons but gotta admit you guys have lifted yourselves a bit, previously you were comparing the PPP GDP of Kolkata with the nominal GDP of Bangladesh. :lol: 
So far what we have seen clearly shows that Kolkata is clearly far ahead of Dhaka in every aspect. In fact, Dhaka seems to be lagging behind not only Metros, but most State Capitals and Tier-1 cities of India. :D
You can highlight any area where you think Dhaka is ahead of Kolkata, then we can discuss it further.

Kolkata is increasing in size, infrastructure, population, and of course, electricity usage!! :D

I don't know about other things but Kolkata's population is decreasing for sure, infact the growth rate is -1.88%. Check the link below:

http://www.censusindia.gov.in/2011-prov-results/prov_data_products_wb.html (you need to download table B)

Last edited:

I thought u understand English very well. Anyway for your kind information I am posting name of few popular shopping malls of Dhaka City. I am mentioning the gross floor area of the largest two and i dont have time to post all images of all shopping malls.

Name Location Year Size (Gross Floor Area)
Jamuna Future Park Dhaka, Bangladesh 2013 9,600,000 sq ft (890,000 m2)
Bashundhara City Dhaka, Bangladesh 2004 5,100,000 sq ft (470,000 m2) 
Banani Bridge, Dhaka.

Banani Bridge.jpg

Hatirjheel Bridge
hatirjheel 1_c.jpg

Last edited:
Cars in Dhaka Streets.
cars_k.png
cars_m.jpg
cars_n.jpg
Cars_p.jpg
cars_q.jpg

Those two shopping malls are the largest in Dhaka. Jamuna Future Park has a total area of over 5 million sq ft while Basundhara City has an area of 1.9 million sq ft, both are miles ahead of your largest South City. The other shopping malls you mentioned are mid or small sized which are beyond comparison. Dhaka has countless midsized shopping malls, even areas like Hatirpool has 3/4 of them.

Come up with latest figures published by the respective national statistic bureaus of both the cities than compare. Dhaka is way ahead of Kolkata dude, that's an easy guess.

Well, it will take lotta time to learn fair economic comparisons but gotta admit you guys have lifted yourselves a bit, previously you were comparing the PPP GDP of Kolkata with the nominal GDP of Bangladesh. :lol: 

I don't know about other things but Kolkata's population is decreasing for sure, infact the growth rate is -1.88%. Check the link below:

http://www.censusindia.gov.in/2011-prov-results/prov_data_products_wb.html (you need to download table B)

Can you tell me in which category Dhaka is "way ahead of Calcutta" instead of usual beating around the bushes, then we can stress on that. :lol:

I don't need to come up with latest figures as in last 4,5 years nothing significant has changed to Dhaka except for rabid Hefazatis running amok in street, so gdp figures of 3,4 years before is enough to gauge the economic activity of the city.

Kolkata population rate declined because Indian Bengalis have one of the lowest birth rate in India, kolkatans have even less. 
Every mudir dokan is shopping mall in Bangladesh it seems! :p:

Can you tell me in which category Dhaka is "way ahead of Calcutta" instead of usual beating around the bushes, then we can stress on that. :lol:

I don't need to come up with latest figures as in last 4,5 years nothing significant has changed to Dhaka except for rabid Hefazatis running amok in street, so gdp figures of 3,4 years before is enough to gauge the economic activity of the city.

Kolkata population rate declined because Indian Bengalis have one of the lowest birth rate in India, kolkatans have even less.

Indian Bengalis have one of the lowest birth rate in India - nice joke, talk with facts not your personal commentary. :lol:

Kolkata's declining population is the biggest example that's it's no more a city of much importance, don't be too surprised if it gets demoted as a tier 2 city. :lol:

Yeah, last 4,5 years nothing significant happened, just our national GDP got doubled. :lol:

Just compare the skyline images of Dhaka and Kolkata and you'll get the sense how ahead is Dhaka. Ignoring other facts like the cultural events of Dhaka i.e Dhaka Fashion Week, Chhobi Mela International Photography Festival, Dhaka International Film Festival etc.

Last edited:

Every mudir dokan is shopping mall in Bangladesh it seems! :p:

Even some corporation markets are there in that list. :D

And regarding the population of Kolkata, residential complexes are shifting to outskirts of Kolkata, that could be a reason. 
Another d!ck measuring contest :pop:

Don't close it. And this new avatar of yours looks like hungry! :D

Indian Bengalis have one of the lowest birth rate in India - nice joke, talk with facts not your personal commentary. :lol:

Kolkata's declining population is the biggest example that's it's no more a city of much importance, don't be too surprised if it gets demoted as a tier 2 city. :lol:

Yeah, last 4,5 years nothing significant happened, just our national GDP got doubled. :lol:

Just compare the skyline images of Dhaka and Kolkata and you'll get the sense how ahead is Dhaka. Ignoring other facts like the cultural events of Dhaka i.e Dhaka Fashion Week, Chhobi Mela International Photography Festival etc.
I'm not joking, Kolkata District has lowest birth rate in India. Why do you think Indian Bengalis can't have low birth rate, after all we are educated and cultured lot.

http://www.telegraphindia.com/1110401/jsp/frontpage/story_13795605.jsp

Dhaka has skyline? That's news! Can you post some pictures of the alleged skylines of Dhaka! :P

Even some corporation markets are there in that list. :D

And regarding the population of Kolkata, residential complexes are shifting to outskirts of Kolkata, that could be a reason. 

:D

Same suggestion to you, talk with facts not your personal commentary. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom