What's new

Burqa rage: In a first, veil ripped off in France

Moorkh

Reaction score
LONDON: Taking offence at the attire of a fellow shopper, a 60-year-old lawyer ripped off a Muslim woman's burqa in a clothing shop, in what is being described by the police as France's first case of rage against the Islamic veil.

During a weekend shopping trip the woman lawyer had an argument over the attire following which the pair came to blows before being arrested. The incident happened due to growing racial tensions in the country, as France prepares to introduce a total ban on burqas and other forms of religious dress, which cover the face, the Telegraph reports.

The woman lawyer made snide remarks about a 26-year-old Muslim convert's burqa while walking through the store in Trignac, near Nantes, in the western Loire-Atlantique region, the paper said on Tuesday.

At one point the lawyer, who was out with her daughter, is said to have likened the Muslim woman to Belphegor, a horror demon character well known to French TV viewers. Belphegor is said to haunt the Louvre museum in Paris and frequently covers up his hideous features using a mask.

A police officer close to the case said: "The lawyer said she was not happy seeing a fellow shopper wearing a veil and wanted the ban introduced as soon as possible."

"The shop manager and the husband of the Muslim woman moved to break up the fighting," the officer said. All three were arrested and taken to the local gendarmerie for questioning.

A spokesman for Trignac police said that two complaints had been received, with the Muslim woman accusing the lawyer of racial and religious assault. The latter, in turn, had accused her opponent of common assault.

The French parliament has adopted a formal motion declaring burkas and other forms of Islamic dress to be "an affront to the nation's values". A ban, which could be introduced as early as the autumn, would make France the second country after Belgium to outlaw the Islamic veil in public places.

But many have criticized the anti-burqa lobby, which includes the French president Nicolas Sarkozy, for stigmatising Muslim housewives.

Burqa rage: In a first, veil ripped off in France - Europe - World - The Times of India

This sort of an outright attack is wrong and I condemn it. Attacking doesn't solve any problems and rather has gotten herself into a legal matter now. But seriously, on the other hand I don't understand why do these people become all religious and obsessed when the come to European countries.

In Morocco and Algeria (prime French colonies), where most of these migrants come from, the women are so liberal and laid back on their own. Wonder what triggers them to do this as soon as they land in Europe. Every nation has a dress code and has to be followed whether liberal or not. Arab countries, Asian countries, Far East all have some or the other forms of clothing that is considered standard in the society which has to be followed. Wonder why this law is not respected by some migrants.

so much for "freedom of religion" eh! If they can forcefully remove a Muslimahs veil, then this give us the right to force our views on them and their women!

This sort of an outright attack is wrong and I condemn it. Attacking doesn't solve any problems and rather has gotten herself into a legal matter now. But seriously, on the other hand I don't understand why do these people become all religious and obsessed when the come to European countries.

In Morocco and Algeria (prime French colonies), where most of these migrants come from, the women are so liberal and laid back on their own. Wonder what triggers them to do this as soon as they land in Europe. Every nation has a dress code and has to be followed whether liberal or not. Arab countries, Asian countries, Far East all have some or the other forms of clothing that is considered standard in the society which has to be followed. Wonder why this law is not respected by some migrants.

The people who usually migrate are from poorer and thus more religious backgrounds. This is the case for Pakistani immigrants in UK too, the ones here are very conservative, go to the cities in Pakistan and you will see very liberal people especially in affluent areas.

Although they like to portray themselves as an enlightened society, a lot of europeans are just down right racist and xenophobic.

So what if you're offended by what somebody decides to wear? - in a free country people should be able to express themselves as they see fit.

There are plenty of social groups such as bikers, rockers, goths, emos, homos, chavs, gangsters etc that have their own "dress code" that ordinary people may find offensive - try ripping their clothes off.

But since muslims are the easiest to pick on these days because of events around the world and the fact that the French passed that backwards law banning the Burqa, the woman probably saw it as an easy target, which is quite cowardly IMO.

and those who says Freedom of speech/religion in Europe are the most idiot peoples on Earth. If they remember even a former british assistant commissioner (who was a Muslim) complained about the racism in UK and all of us know UK is the most tolerant country in Europe and perhaps the whole world and thinking about other countries is just a joke

There is no such thing as Freedom. If you are living in Europe - Follow the rules - or go back

now start bashing on me :lol:

I find burqas EXTREMELY SCARY!!
I've only seen one person wearing it and I almost had a heart attack. I just can't believe the barbarity of the whole thing. There is nothing more disgusting than being forced or brainwashed to wear that ****.
I honestly don't understand these Europeans! Such a thing has no place in any culture.

and those who says Freedom of speech/religion in Europe are the most idiot peoples on Earth. If they remember even a former british assistant commissioner (who was a Muslim) complained about the racism in UK and all of us know UK is the most tolerant country in Europe and perhaps the whole world and thinking about other countries is just a joke

There is no such thing as Freedom. If you are living in Europe - Follow the rules - or go back

now start bashing on me :lol:

There are certain rules people should follow when living or visiting other countries; for instance, none Muslims are not allowed in certain places in certain countries. However, the women was doing nothing wrong because as i understand it, it was perfectly legal for her to wear to vail.

I would see the incident only from a legal perspective. Arguing hours about rights is of no use. Someone who wants a right just to submit to some orthodoxy has nothing to do with rights. They dont even understand the meaning of rights. If you talk about social insecurity and BS then France and other countries have as much freedom to ban veil as Islamic countries have to ban some tenets of Western living.

You know why they(European countries) ponder over this so long? Just to ensure that they are known for recognizing everyone have rights. And we see these religious junkies playing on just this guilt feeling as their sole sticking point, even when it is not clear whether veil comes under the ambit of right or cultural oppression.

Goddamn there were women in this world who were willing to jump into fire and die after their husband died. If Sati was not abolished back then without concern to 'religious rights' we would have had some religious women demonstrating for Sati because it is their religious right. This brigade was present then. Only because their mouths were forcibly shut did women's condition improve in India.

Let us see how far this 'religious right'(veil) can take us. But I wont take this clash of civilizations BS. It is just about civilizing some retards.

LONDON: Taking offence at the attire of a fellow shopper, a 60-year-old lawyer ripped off a Muslim woman's burqa in a clothing shop, in what is being described by the police as France's first case of rage against the Islamic veil.

During a weekend shopping trip the woman lawyer had an argument over the attire following which the pair came to blows before being arrested. The incident happened due to growing racial tensions in the country, as France prepares to introduce a total ban on burqas and other forms of religious dress, which cover the face, the Telegraph reports.

The woman lawyer made snide remarks about a 26-year-old Muslim convert's burqa while walking through the store in Trignac, near Nantes, in the western Loire-Atlantique region, the paper said on Tuesday.

At one point the lawyer, who was out with her daughter, is said to have likened the Muslim woman to Belphegor, a horror demon character well known to French TV viewers. Belphegor is said to haunt the Louvre museum in Paris and frequently covers up his hideous features using a mask.

A police officer close to the case said: "The lawyer said she was not happy seeing a fellow shopper wearing a veil and wanted the ban introduced as soon as possible."

"The shop manager and the husband of the Muslim woman moved to break up the fighting," the officer said. All three were arrested and taken to the local gendarmerie for questioning.

A spokesman for Trignac police said that two complaints had been received, with the Muslim woman accusing the lawyer of racial and religious assault. The latter, in turn, had accused her opponent of common assault.

The French parliament has adopted a formal motion declaring burkas and other forms of Islamic dress to be "an affront to the nation's values". A ban, which could be introduced as early as the autumn, would make France the second country after Belgium to outlaw the Islamic veil in public places.

But many have criticized the anti-burqa lobby, which includes the French president Nicolas Sarkozy, for stigmatising Muslim housewives.

Burqa rage: In a first, veil ripped off in France - Europe - World - The Times of India
this article is totally bullshit
it doesn't reflect the reality in France

so much for "freedom of religion" eh! If they can forcefully remove a Muslimahs veil, then this give us the right to force our views on them and their women!
It wasn't "they". Don't put the blame on entire Europe to be a racist. It was just one woman who got extra aggressive and will most likely earn a legal charge of unwarranted assault on another individual. This is the kind of charges that are put in Europe against any person of any religion---completely civil perspective.

You are talking as if French police has ignored the case. If this was the case between two native French, it would be treated the same way as this. The incident was wrong because the law has yet to be passed and therefore it was wrong to attack someone physically.

I find burqas EXTREMELY SCARY!!
I've only seen one person wearing it and I almost had a heart attack. I just can't believe the barbarity of the whole thing. There is nothing more disgusting than being forced or brainwashed to wear that ****.
I honestly don't understand these Europeans! Such a thing has no place in any culture.
Unfortunately, you views won't be supported by many people, friend. :)

this article is totally bullshit
it doesn't reflect the reality in France
it might not be common. infact the article mentions that this was the first time such an incident took place

if you can give me a source that the incident did not take place, i will be more than happy to accept it.

They are ultra orthodox people its not about Burqa just read the following.

Women banned from wearing trousers in Paris

A decree banning women from wearing trousers in Paris is still technically in force, it emerged on Monday, making the laissez-faire French capital theoretically stricter than hardline Sudan in the fashion stakes.

Full news Link:
Women banned from wearing trousers in Paris - Telegraph

Back
Top Bottom