What's new

Bangladesh most gender-equal country in South Asia for 8th time

1. Are you callously dismissing 200+ socio-economic suicides that happened because of the Capitalist corporation SKS Microfinance, as the collateral damage of a "business model" ?

2. What 200+ suicides ? Just between 1995 and 2018 about 400,000 Indian farmers suicided because of socio-economic reasons and these suicides were also caused by soodkhor microfinance corporations, individual lenders and the regular banks.

3. Forget about 20 percent interest why should interest-finance even exist ? Interest is irrational. Didn't you hear the statement of Hazrat Isa from 2000 years ago calling for action against money lenders who charge interest ? 2000 years ago Jesus called for the abolition on intereste-based finance yet now, in 2022, in India Capitalists love to hear the chink of 400 more gold coins in their personal bank accounts while somewhere in India 40 farmers hang themselves on trees or drink pesticide. What a nice country we have. But yes, Har Ghar Tiranga lagayenge, mandir wahin banayenge. And I didn't understand this statement of yours - PS. For these 200 odd suicides the lenders are equally to blame.".

4. Why are microfinance corporations in India existing in the first place ? To get their stock values in the Bombay Stock Exchange while 200+ farmers and peasants suicide in two months in Maharashtra, Punjab and other places ? The microfinance corporations are criminals because they have caused suicides which is essentially murder ? And it is murder by the system. What is the government doing not helping the poor of the earth ? Why isn't there a Communist model in India where socio-economic classes themselves ( rich, middle, poor ) have been abolished and every citizen is able to have non-money-based access to the basic material necessities in life ( housing, electricity, healthcare, education, telecom etc ) and is otherwise able to fulfill his or her ambitions including get a tractor or an office space ?

Do you have any idea how farming happens in India?
Why they need money time to time?
Who provides them the cash in need?

Despite being the best performer in the region, Bangladesh has fallen six notches to rank 71st among 146 economies

View attachment 861383

Bangladesh has been named as the most gender-equal country in South Asia for the eighth consecutive year in the Global Gender Gap Report 2022.

The report of the World Economic Forum, released on Wednesday, said the country is the only one to have closed more than 70% of the gender gap among others in the region.

Despite being the best performer in the region, Bangladesh has fallen six notches to rank 71st among 146 economies surveyed in the 2022 index, which benchmarks countries based on how close they are to reaching gender equality.

The 16th edition of the report reveals that Bangladesh's overall gender gap widened by 0.5 percentage points to 71.4% in 2022. As a result, its global position has deteriorated.

With 71.9% of the gender gap closed, Bangladesh was in the 65th position among 156 countries covered in the 2021 index.

However, Bangladesh has managed to stay ahead of all South Asian nations since 2014 by surpassing Sri Lanka that year.

"Bangladesh is comparatively doing well in gender parity. It has been outperforming other South Asian countries for a long time," said Fahmida Khatun, executive director of the Centre for Policy Dialogue, one of the partner organisations of the Centre for the New Economy and Society of the World Economic Forum.

"If we look at Bangladesh's performance in the major indices, we'll notice that the performance is satisfactory," she told The Business Standard.

Fahmida Khatun blamed Covid-19 for the low performance of Bangladesh in the case of educational attainment, one of the four key dimensions of the index.

According to the report, this year's positions of South Asian countries in the regional ranking remained the same as that of 2021.

Nepal has the second-highest level of gender parity, currently standing at 69.2%. It has been ranked 96th.

Sri Lanka is the third-best performer in the region, with 67% of its gender gap closed. It has been placed at the 110th position on the index. It is followed by the Maldives at the 117th position and Bhutan at the 126th position.

India's position on the index is 135th, third from the bottom in the region.

Afghanistan has been named as the least gender-equal country in the world and so in South Asia, with the gender gap closed by 43.5%. Pakistan stands 145th globally, being the second-worst performer in the region.

Although no country has yet achieved full gender parity, the top 10 economies have closed at least 80% of their gender gaps.

Iceland is the most gender-equal country in the world for the 13th time and the only one to have closed more than 90% of the gender gap, the report reads.

Other Scandinavian countries, Finland (86%, 2nd), Norway (84.5%, 3rd) and Sweden (82.2%, 5th), and New Zealand (84.1%, 4th) were featured in the top five.

The index benchmarks the current state and evolution of gender parity across four key dimensions – economic participation and opportunity, educational attainment, health and survival, and political empowerment.

Bangladesh's performance on 4 key dimensions

The report highlights that Bangladesh's declining performance can be attributed to slightly lower performance on educational attainment (123rd), a subindex with high concentration of scores near parity.

"A small drop in the gender gap score for literacy and the absence of recent data in primary education overshadow a slim increase of gender parity in tertiary education."

Bangladesh registered no changes on political empowerment (9th) and health and survival (129th) indexes.

On economic participation and opportunity, the report said there was a reduction in both men and women's workforce participation by 3.6 and 5.45 percentage points, respectively. However, the proportional impact was higher for women.

"The negative impact of this shortfall was nonetheless counteracted by a 5.3 percentage point increase in the share of women who are professional and technical workers, as well as a 13% increase in women's estimated earned income (compared to men's 11% increase), that raised parity outcomes overall."

South Asia has the largest gender gap of all regions

South Asia (62.3%) has the largest gender gap among the eight regions covered in the report, with low scores across all measured gender gaps and little progress made in most countries since the last edition.

At its current pace, it is now expected to take 197 years to close the gender gap in the region.

The Middle East and North Africa (63.4%) has the second-largest gender gap yet to close, followed by Sub-Saharan Africa (68.7%), East Asia and the Pacific (69%), and Central Asia (69.1%).

Meanwhile, North America is the best performing region, with 76.9% of its gender gap closed. It is followed by Europe (76.6%), Latin America and the Caribbean (72.6%).

Source

Hi,

At the end of the day---B'D will be ahead of all the nations in the region---because men and women work side by side to provide a better income for the household.

Pakistanis are the worst in that regard.

You wouldn't qualify as a Grameen bank loan recipient given your US income.

Plus you need to find ten other people (friends) who'd agree to pay jointly if you default. That is the contract and model (peer collateral).

10 people for collateral.. that's interesting.

Nothing like that here in the states that I know of. A good collateral plan tho.

Regarding that I wouldn't qualify due to my US income?

Is that because I make too little or too much?

Nothing like that here in the states that I know of. A good collateral plan tho.

Too much...

You make too much. :-)

These are small loans (but not small according to the income of the loan recipients who are landless peasants and women).

$50, at most a hundred dollars at first, then once repaid, new loans will increase in amount - all the way up to several thousand dollars.

Read here,

The idea was to help landless poor folks emerge from poverty and remove themselves from the clutches of usurers and middlemen.

Simply transform marginal lives.

Grameen and other NGO's helped tens of millions of poor people defeat poverty (and hunger) in Bangladesh. The Grameen Model has been replicated across the globe successfully - even in some case in the US in inner cities. However in the US it has also seen failure aplenty (drug users unable to escape their situation).

Hi,

At the end of the day---B'D will be ahead of all the nations in the region---because men and women work side by side to provide a better income for the household.

Pakistanis are the worst in that regard.

Bhai Pakistanis are by themselves not worst - but gender equality is an idea whose time has come, for many, many reasons.

One half of the population cannot be kept uneducated and under-utilized - first of all.

Back
Top Bottom