What's new

Army to get 3G anti-tank missiles to match China

They have the TOW.

Unless I'm mistaken the TOW is not a fire & forget ATGM & so it isn't 3rd Generation ! But if one were to go through older threads there is talk, by some of the more respected members here, about a 3rd Generation ATGM being developed by Pakistan based on Hellfire missiles, presumably recovered from Afghanistan.

Unless I'm mistaken the TOW is not a fire & forget ATGM & so it isn't 3rd Generation ! But if one were to go through older threads there is talk, by some of the more respected members here, about a 3rd Generation ATGM being developed by Pakistan based on Hellfire missiles, presumably recovered from Afghanistan.

Manportable version of Hellfire?

Does the Pakistani army have 3G ATGM's? just wondering.

None, but they possess :
1. Baktar-Shikan - Baktar-Shikan is a variant of HJ-8 or Hongjian-8 that has been manufactured under license by Pakistan since the late 1990s. It possess around 21000 HJ 8 missiles.
2. BGM-71 TOW - 3,300+ TOW-2A delivered in 2006 by USA.
3. MILAN missiles, numbers unknown to me.

Does @peaceful really think china designs its own weapons?:lol:

J-7 is a copy of Mig-21
J-8 is a copy of Su-15
J-10 is a copy of Lavi
J-11 is a copy of Su-27
J-15 is a copy of Su-33/T-10K
J-20 and J-31 are both derived from stolen US F-35 technology

- helicopters >

Z-8 is a copy of SA-321
Z-9 is a copy of SA-365
Z-11 is a copy of AS-350
Z-10 and Z-19 are again based on various technologies stolen and bought from abroad. Not to mention
similarity in looks with AW-129/T-129 and engine tech designed by Pratt & Whitney (US)

Transport aircraft ->
Y-5 is a copy of An-2
Y-7 is a copy of An-24/An-26
Y-8 is a copy of An-12
Y-9 is based on Y-8's tech derived from An-12
Y-20 is based on IL-76 with Soviet-designed engines

The bomber Xian H-6 is a copy of Tu-16 Badger from Tupolev.

And if you go down into the other segments of weapons, guns, missiles, rockets, vehicles etc.,
you'll see that 90-95% of china's military hardware is a foreign design with indigenous paint scheme
and indigenous name.[/QUOTE/]Think what you capable before laughing China.

Last edited by a moderator:
No chance to corrupt if make it Indeginous.

Its about corruption stop making guesses out of ur imgination....:suicide:

@karan21
DRDO has not been able to develop man portable version of Nag as its has to be around 14kg only thats why we r going for Spikes...

But we have successfully developed land carrier launch version i.e. NAMICA n helicopter version i.e. HELINA

Besides development of Airplane launch version (with Jaguars) is under way with a range of 10km...

Nag is a very good 3rd Gen ATGM but DRDO also has its limitations so Spikes might help to fill the technology gap as far as man portable version is concerned....:)

Last edited by a moderator:
i was under the impression that 4th generation is fire and forget with nlos

Army to get 3G anti-tank missiles to match China - The New Indian Express

Army to get 3G anti-tank missiles to match China
By N C Bipindra - NEW DELHI 28th December 2012 08:57 AM
In a bid to match China, the Indian Army is scouting for third-generation Anti-Tank Guided Missiles (ATGM) worth over `5,000 crore for its infantry and mechanised units.

The ATGM is an effective weapon in terrains where there are threats from enemy tanks and the Army’s initial requirement is about 2,000 launchers and 24,000 missiles to arm its 356 infantry units.

China already possesses ‘Green Arrow’ and ‘Red Arrow’ ATGMs. Pakistan, though, has only second-generation missiles such as the Baktar Shikan, said to be based on a Chinese missile, and the French Eryx.

“This procurement will be completed by the end of the 12th plan period in 2017,” Army sources told Express here. Though the Army is authorised to hold over 81,000 ATGMs of different ranges that are key to stopping the progress of enemy’s armoured vehicles and tanks during battles, it is said to have only half of that quantity at present, making this procurement critical.

It has now tried out the shoulder-fired Israeli ‘Spike’ missiles in the field and the ‘staff evaluation’ of the trial report is underway. India tested the 2.5-km-range Israeli system despite the US offering its FGM-148 Javelin missiles.

The Israeli offer is said to be ahead in the race due to their readiness to share its technology with the Indian government-owned missile manufacturer, the Hyderabad-based Bharat Dynamics Limited (BDL), to produce them domestically to meet the Army’s future needs. The US is willing to sell the missile to India, but not to share the technology.

At present, the Army has French two-km-range Milan missiles and Russian four-km Konkurs missiles, both second generation ATGMS. Both are Semi Automatic Command Line of Sight wire-guided missiles that require the soldier to sight the target and guide the weapon, which affects accuracy.

“Now, the Army wants to graduate to third-generation missiles that can lock on to the target once the soldier sights it through the weapon system,” an Army officer said.

“Once the infantry units are equipped with the third-generation ATGMs, we will also equip the 50-odd Mechanised Infantry units with the selected weapon system,” he said.

The point to note is that where hello in the hell will we spar with the chineese on an armoured battle.....they willl not be so naive to push an armoured thrust down the leh corridor.....this is just wasteful money expenditure by India.....wat to say....better to invest in own systems rather than buy for non existent scenario's.....way to go IA....

Even Nimrod missiles are better of Israel, though not for soldiers to bring that but kept on the vehicles.

What a joke.. LOL, all of Indian army and its weapons are located on Pakistan border.
Bharat is Pakistan centric... they buy weapons for use against Pakistan.
China is offlimits for India..

What a joke.. LOL, all of Indian army and its weapons are located on Pakistan border.
Bharat is Pakistan centric... they buy weapons for use against Pakistan.
China is offlimits for India..

No they are not, you know it but you need to troll. But most of our heavy equipment is located at the Ind-Pak border, because it is not gonna be used in high mountain areas like AP or Sikkim.

Hardly. I don't think Pak has the tech or manpower to develope 3rd gen ATGM. If you wana say with the help of China then it's something to think about. But claims will be claim until something come in day light. I am pretty sure if PA had the 3rd gen ATGM they would have definatly showed it to India by now.

You are wrong.

3rd Gen ATGM is no big deal for country like Pakistan. Heck! even india can make one if she wants...Also, Russians/Chinese can help a bit too...

So not a big deal.

Pak doesn't have "manpower" to built a 3rd Gen ATGM? You do realize how retarded it sounds?

You are wrong.

3rd Gen ATGM is no big deal for country like Pakistan. Heck! even india can make one if she wants...Also, Russians/Chinese can help a bit too...

So not a big deal.

Pak doesn't have "manpower" to built a 3rd Gen ATGM? You do realize how retarded it sounds?

Pak doesn't have "manpower" to built a 3rd Gen ATGM? You do realize how retarded it sounds? - yes it sound retard if you can't read inbetween the lines.

Please tell me how many country in the world have 3rd gen man portable ATGM ???
It's not the question of can/could/would. Just plane present tense.

And well I am not wrong. If PA has that system they would have been testing it whenever a Arjun being tested in India. That's how they do things. They always counter India evenif the move isn't in their direction. Typical Indo-Pak relations

Back
Top Bottom