What's new

Army to get 3G anti-tank missiles to match China

Major.

Reaction score
Army to get 3G anti-tank missiles to match China - The New Indian Express

Army to get 3G anti-tank missiles to match China
By N C Bipindra - NEW DELHI 28th December 2012 08:57 AM
In a bid to match China, the Indian Army is scouting for third-generation Anti-Tank Guided Missiles (ATGM) worth over `5,000 crore for its infantry and mechanised units.

The ATGM is an effective weapon in terrains where there are threats from enemy tanks and the Army’s initial requirement is about 2,000 launchers and 24,000 missiles to arm its 356 infantry units.

China already possesses ‘Green Arrow’ and ‘Red Arrow’ ATGMs. Pakistan, though, has only second-generation missiles such as the Baktar Shikan, said to be based on a Chinese missile, and the French Eryx.

“This procurement will be completed by the end of the 12th plan period in 2017,” Army sources told Express here. Though the Army is authorised to hold over 81,000 ATGMs of different ranges that are key to stopping the progress of enemy’s armoured vehicles and tanks during battles, it is said to have only half of that quantity at present, making this procurement critical.

It has now tried out the shoulder-fired Israeli ‘Spike’ missiles in the field and the ‘staff evaluation’ of the trial report is underway. India tested the 2.5-km-range Israeli system despite the US offering its FGM-148 Javelin missiles.

The Israeli offer is said to be ahead in the race due to their readiness to share its technology with the Indian government-owned missile manufacturer, the Hyderabad-based Bharat Dynamics Limited (BDL), to produce them domestically to meet the Army’s future needs. The US is willing to sell the missile to India, but not to share the technology.

At present, the Army has French two-km-range Milan missiles and Russian four-km Konkurs missiles, both second generation ATGMS. Both are Semi Automatic Command Line of Sight wire-guided missiles that require the soldier to sight the target and guide the weapon, which affects accuracy.

“Now, the Army wants to graduate to third-generation missiles that can lock on to the target once the soldier sights it through the weapon system,” an Army officer said.

“Once the infantry units are equipped with the third-generation ATGMs, we will also equip the 50-odd Mechanised Infantry units with the selected weapon system,” he said.

Another big deal gone to the Isrealis. Milk the Indian cow and feed the dogs there. :hitwall:.

India already have more than 100000 ATGMs, why buy more? concentrate on Nag.

i thought Spikes were 4th gen ATGMs...:what:
besides Spikes has a range of 800m to 25km :woot: so which one r we getting???:chilli:

India already have more than 100000 ATGMs, why buy more? concentrate on Nag.

All those 100000 ATGMs r 2nd Gen n Nag still hasn't got wire guidance thats why we went for Konkurs from Russia...
but i really don't get it when we were already planning to get Spikes than why the hell did we ordered 10000 konkurs in first place...:hitwall:

besides Spikes has a range of 800m to 25km :woot: so which one r we getting???:chilli:

There is no 4th gen ATGM, 3rd gen is the latest tech. India is specifically buying the handheld version, whose range should be less than the vehicle mounted version. For the vehicle mounted version, we have our own Nag, which has full fire and forget capability, and is among the most advanced 3rd gen ones in the world. Unfortunately, we have not been able to make a hand held variant of it.

WTF happened to the much touted NAG ATGM? Died a quiet death I suppose! :no:

Can anyone explain why we are not going for the nag missile. It is also a fire and forget Anti tank missile. We are we such chutiyas :hitwall:

I just explained a couple of posts above. Nag has been ordered in large numbers, but can only be launched from the NAMICA, and in future from the LCH. Spike and javelin are being evaluated for the requirement of hand held, man portable anti tank version.

That's the Spike NLOS. There are a total of 6 variants. We are bidding for the Spike-MR the medium range version. The weight of the missile is 14 kg (30 lb 14 oz), minimum range is 200 m (660 ft) while the maximum range is 2,500 m (8,200 ft) and is used by infantry and special forces.

ORD_ATGM_Spike_Components_lg.jpg

Spike components

Gill.jpg

i think the present ones are second generation.that is why.

u designed it?objectionable.u stole it.yes.that's better.

Y-20 is copied from An-70 which we never had access to
J-20 is a clone of F-22 which even UK doesn;'t have access to
J-31 is copied from F-35, again China doesn't have access to

anything in China is a direct copy, happier?

guess what? I encourage indians to all develop such attitude. this make them blind which is always good.

Back
Top Bottom