What's new

Acute shortage of defense tech discussions / threads

If anybody want responses in technical threads...tag people you know have interest in that field...

One indian member called sandy_ something (sorry cant remember) is very keen on guns..
Better tag him in the guns section...

The problem is the same as the one that plagues our population.
Should we all just stop posting or talking because a majority of posters here are generally fanboys with no objectivity.
Most of the posters making ridiculous copy paste arguments in the military sections generally act as if they are walls to be preached at. Not even considering anything else.
Unless there is a free hand on people who have worked in the industry to forcibly delete repetitive arguments..
then soon we will have discussion on warp drive and shields being taken seriously.
because idiots speaking crap will win over logical argument simply because they speak it more.

Its the same reason why Pakistanis think all Indians are blood thirsty for them and why all Indians think that we all dream of blowing them up(along with ourselves).
The idiots are louder.. unless you make a good argument to shut them up.. and then beat the crap out of them if they come up blaberring the same nonsense again and again like a parrot.. you cannot . and will not.. EVER be able to improve quality.

That goes for both sides..
It is NOT the responsibility of the Indian members to counter an idiotic Pakistani.... just as it is NOT the responsibility of the Pakistani to counter an Indian troll.
They are your countrymen, it is your job to show responsibility for them.. you control your own brother.. you spank him.
If anyone else does it, then your objectivity goes down the drain as well.

Unless the more refined members(not SENIOR..because I find that moniker laughable) take responsibly..
there will be little improvement...
Otherwise we admin can simply go on a banning spree and only let people find other ways to create multiple ID's.
Unless these collective idiots know that they will be shunned by all.. including their own countrymen..
YOU CANNOT fix this quality issue.
The TT's, and other members can make excellent posts...but these will all be drowned within the roaring crowd of idiots.

There is a theory to it. I stumbled on it yesterday. Its called "gamification". "Thanks" and attention , the two possible immediate rewards in this forum are given to individuals who can make the most offtopic and ridiculous comments possible. For evidence, please refer to some of my posts.

If i can say "Arabs suck" and get a hundred thanks for it, logic dictates that i stick to it.

Another counter productive reward system: a person who makes x number of posts are given titles and privileges after crossing a certain threshold.....with no concern for quality.

When you reward people for all the wrong things, you cannot provoke them to change for the better.

There is a theory to it. I stumbled on it yesterday. Its called "gamification". "Thanks" and attention the two possible immediate rewards in this forum are given to individuals who can make the most offtopic and ridiculous comments possible. For evidence, please refer to some of my posts.

If i can say "Arabs suck" and get a hundred thanks for it, logic dictates that i stick to it.

Another counter productive reward system: a person who makes x number of posts are given titles and privileges after crossing a certain threshold.....with no concern for quality.

When you reward people for all the wrong things, you cannot provoke them to change for the better.

This is a big debate.

Just the thread which i wanted.......

@WebMaster @Oscar @Aeronaut @nuclearpak & other mods & administrators.

Sirs, this is a "Defence" forum & we as a defence enthusiast are here to discuss about matters that deals with the matters of defence of our respective nations but for the last 1 month or so what i am getting here is just threads on rapes & other crimes prevailing in society, too much political threads, threads related to social issues, religious threads etc. some threads are so mindless that one can't resist but to do this - :hitwall: like for eg. this latest gem of our forum:

http://www.defence.pk/forums/indian...-india-cuts-ties-pisa-2012-a.html#post3802937

one this has nothing to do with DEFENCE + it has been opened in the Indian Defence section :disagree:

I can understand that some threads are the necessity of this forum but we should not change the basic purpose of this forum which is discussing Defence related matters.

I urge u to encourage threads whose purpose is to discuss DEFENCE of whichever nation it concerns & discourage threads like the one above. PLEASE take immediate steps in this regard otherwise this forum will turn into every other forum - religious/political/social rather than being a Defence forum.

Thank You.

Last edited by a moderator:
There is a theory to it. I stumbled on it yesterday. Its called "gamification". "Thanks" and attention , the two possible immediate rewards in this forum are given to individuals who can make the most offtopic and ridiculous comments possible. For evidence, please refer to some of my posts.

These members wont be promoted to jn TTs tag which would be the prerequisite for TT nomination -- These members will remain senior members etc

Number of thanks attained is not the criteria for jn TT nomination/induction however some minimum posts are required so that management knows member's consistency of post quality and regularity of participation in the forum

It's only recently [past year perhaps] that I've started posting in members club and I know the feeling of talking to yourself in defence threads or not getting much thanks/debates in your defence threads .... but we shouldnt bow down to the trend started by the onslaught of new teen members

We as management can only recommend/make sections and make some good threads to start a trend of the types of threads we have envisioned the section to have .... however its upto the members to keep the ball rolling

I think that versus (vs.) threads should be allowed, which pertain to military hardware only (not military history/wars). This helps the arguing entities to search for the technicalities of various weapons systems, develop deep understanding of their functionality and analyze their performance based on technical data. This can also make the fanboys change their jingoism-based views.

Although it invites a bit trolling but strict moderation can provide the environment.

I think that versus (vs.) threads should be allowed, which pertain to military hardware only (not military history/wars). This helps the arguing entities to search for the technicalities of various weapons systems, develop deep understanding of their functionality and analyze their performance based on technical data. This can also make the fanboys change their jingoism-based views.

Although it invites a bit trolling but strict moderation can provide the environment.

These threads do often get turned into Indo-pak-Sino affair, and because we usually compare platforms that are most likely going to encounter each other, this inevitably leads to a PAF and IAF platform against eachother and the troll wars commence.

There is only so much a mod could do. But I would be keen on giving it a go.
@WebMaster, @ANTIBODY, @Oscar, @Aeronaut, what say?

These threads do often get turned into Indo-pak-Sino affair, and because we usually compare platforms that are most likely going to encounter each other, this inevitably leads to a PAF and IAF platform against eachother and the troll wars commence.

There is only so much a mod could do. But I would be keen on giving it a go.
@WebMaster, @ANTIBODY, @Oscar, @Aeronaut, what say?

Why not encourage vs. wars ? It a whole lot better than the arguments that seem to take place nowadays. Such "troll fests" attract a large number of genuine enthusiasts. The forum is never going to be rid of trolls, it comes with the territory. Why not persuade them ( us ) to focus their (our) attention to something worthwhile ?

Why not encourage vs. wars ? It a whole lot better than the arguments that seem to take place nowadays. Such "troll fests" attract a large number of genuine enthusiasts. The forum is never going to be rid of trolls, it comes with the territory. Why not persuade them ( us ) to focus their (our) attention to something worthwhile ?

I don't mind a vs war based on facts and technical points. Like arguing points on the technical aspects of Tejas vs JFT.

But then there are the usual compliments for the planes and nations, junk fighter, failed project, Muslims hindus and whatnot.

As I said a test thread should be created to check the behavior of members and have a fact based discussion. I am sure there are alot of pros here like Oscar, Gambit, Sancho and many others on both sides and also neutrals.

I don't mind a vs war based on facts and technical points. Like arguing points on the technical aspects of Tejas vs JFT.

But then there are the usual compliments for the planes and nations, junk fighter, failed project, Muslims hindus and whatnot.

As I said a test thread should be created to check the behavior of members and have a fact based discussion. I am sure there are alot of pros here like Oscar, Gambit, Sancho and many others on both sides and also neutrals.

Sir I agree with @Mech, in threads where we are comparing two platforms/weapon systems, trolling will be automatically discouraged since the poster will be required to back his statements with proof/technical arguments. We have seen an example like the one thread on "how to counter su-30mki" which ran to 100+ pages & trolling was as minimum as it can be compared to other threads. It would be really great if we can have a "versus" sub-section to compare different weapon systems, trolling in it can be minimized by giving only few posters the permission to post there like done in the Kashmir section. Admins & mods can select those posters whom they think have the credibility/necessary tech. knowledge to post in that section (as in seniors cafe), also the posters who will constantly troll or is not giving sound reasoning in that section should be banned from entering that section. what say??

Beforestarting another sub forum or allowing vs threads in all warfare sections, lets first start some vs threads in air warfare section only and see how it pans out ----start with an f16 vs mig 29 thread -- i think poland or belgium operates both... post those pilot interviews and the models they were comparing

I had made a rafale vs blk 52 thread in the same section but even that one got out control

I had also asked the other mods not to close vs thread in air warfare section a week back so as to encourage discourse

http://www.defence.pk/forums/air-warfare/225420-mig-29-su-27-a.html
http://www.defence.pk/forums/air-warfare/221429-f-16-vs-f-15-a.html
http://www.defence.pk/forums/air-warfare/169261-f-16-vs-f-18-navy-test-pilots-perspective.html
http://www.defence.pk/forums/air-warfare/106105-rafale-vs-f-16-block52.html
http://www.defence.pk/forums/air-warfare/39016-fgfa-vs-j-xx.html
http://www.defence.pk/forums/air-warfare/129418-j-15-f-18e-f-comparison-graph.html

Lets see how members respond to these vs threads first --

@WebMaster, @ANTIBODY, @Oscar, @Aeronaut
@Adios Amigo @Rafael @T-Faz @TaimiKhan @Zakii @nuclearpak

Back
Top Bottom