What's new

A PREGNANT WOMAN FALLS YET ANOTHER VICTIM TO MEDICAL NEGLIGENCE IN PAKISTAN

Here is one story that boggles the mind:

Farid Fata Gets 45 Years in Prison for Scamming Hundreds of Cancer Patients - NBC News

"A Michigan oncologist who inflicted excessive and painful cancer treatments on hundreds of patients — many of whom didn't have the disease in the first place — sobbed as he was sentenced Friday to spend what will likely be the rest of his life in prison, capping an emotional week in which a procession of victims told a federal judge how the scams had ravaged their bodies.

Farid Fata, who operated the racket from an empire of upscale clinics in the Detroit suburbs, began weeping before the punishment was even handed down. Speaking publicly for the first time since his August 2013 arrest, Fata blamed greed and a "self-destructive" thirst for power.

"They came to me seeking compassion and care. I failed them," he told U.S. District Judge Paul Borman, his tear-choked voice barely intelligible before an overflow audience in a Detroit federal courtroom.

The disgraced doctor turned to his victims and apologized, which he admitted wasn't enough. "My sins are many," he said.

Fata asked Borman for mercy. But a prosecutor reminded the judge of the victims' "lifetime of suffering."

The judge, calling Fata's crimes "huge" and "horrific," deliberated for about an hour before sentencing Fata to 45 years behind bars."

When a patient has no recognizable brain function, it is up to the patient's next of kin, or those with legal health care proxy, to ask for withdrawal of life support. If they demand that all measures be taken, then the doctors have to respect those wishes. What you have described seems proper.

The part that was most disturbing was the doctors kept insisting that he might make it back. I have never seen a brain dead patient come back, respected members from the medical profession can correct me if I am wrong.

The part that was most disturbing was the doctors kept insisting that he might make it back. I have never seen a brain dead patient come back, respected members from the medical profession can correct me if I am wrong.

It depends on what caused the coma in the first place.

Here is one story that boggles the mind:

Farid Fata Gets 45 Years in Prison for Scamming Hundreds of Cancer Patients - NBC News

"A Michigan oncologist who inflicted excessive and painful cancer treatments on hundreds of patients — many of whom didn't have the disease in the first place — sobbed as he was sentenced Friday to spend what will likely be the rest of his life in prison, capping an emotional week in which a procession of victims told a federal judge how the scams had ravaged their bodies.

Farid Fata, who operated the racket from an empire of upscale clinics in the Detroit suburbs, began weeping before the punishment was even handed down. Speaking publicly for the first time since his August 2013 arrest, Fata blamed greed and a "self-destructive" thirst for power.

"They came to me seeking compassion and care. I failed them," he told U.S. District Judge Paul Borman, his tear-choked voice barely intelligible before an overflow audience in a Detroit federal courtroom.

The disgraced doctor turned to his victims and apologized, which he admitted wasn't enough. "My sins are many," he said.

Fata asked Borman for mercy. But a prosecutor reminded the judge of the victims' "lifetime of suffering."

The judge, calling Fata's crimes "huge" and "horrific," deliberated for about an hour before sentencing Fata to 45 years behind bars."

45 years is too less. He should be hanged!
(I know some states do not have capital punishment)

Cheap trick to keep the cash flowing in.

It depends on what caused the coma in the first place.
Isn't there a difference between "Coma" and being "brain dead" ?

From what I understand, a patient can (possibly) still recover form a "Coma," but not if he is "Brain dead."

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Isn't there a difference between "Coma" and being "brain dead" ?

From what I understand, a patient can (possibly) still recover form a "Coma," but not if he is "Brain dead."

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Coma is the condition (a state of deep unconsciousness that lasts for a prolonged or indefinite period, caused especially by severe injury or illness.), one of the causes of which is brain death. It takes several tests to confirm it, not just one.

But please note I am just a retarded "thing". Genius medical professionals here will soon add their priceless thoughts to take this discussion forward, I am sure. :D

I wouldnt blame anyone if that bitch is lynched in broad daylight in front of the police station....Coz I dont see any court gonna do any shit

My sentiments exactly.

woman.jpg

May she rest in peace. May God grant her entrance into paradise, most of all, may God and His Angels watch over her little ones......

Sentiments are fine, but due process must be followed.

I am with @Akheilos 100% with this. It is refreshing to see Pakistani pick up a cause such as this. Without a doubt Pakistan health care system needs revamping. This incident is indicative of the malaise within the system. Only by public demanding accountability can we expect the powers that be to do something.

However I am absolutely opposed to taking law in our hands. Due process is what contrasts us from savages. I am also against capital punishment although I share the same sentiments. We as a society must behave and live upto a more exacting standard than the criminals live by.

I am with @Akheilos 100% with this. It is refreshing to see Pakistani pick up a cause such as this. Without a doubt Pakistan health care system needs revamping. This incident is indicative of the malaise within the system. Only by public demanding accountability can we expect the powers that be to do something.

however I am absolutely opposed to taking law in our hands. Due process is what contrasts us from savages. I am also against capital punishment although I share the same sentiments. We as a society must behave and live upto a more exacting standard than the criminals live by.

Conducting a one-sided trial by media or public sentiment is not due process. I agree with you that taking the law into our own hands is mere savagery. However the public demands for accountability must be heard.

Conducting a one-sided trial by media or public sentiment is not due process. I agree with you that taking the law into our own hands is mere savagery. However the public demands for accountability must be heard.

Nobody can conduct trial by media. A trial requires judge with powers of sanction non of which are applicable to the media. However the media or ordinary citizens like Akhelios can apply pressure on the public official/politicians to do something about the failed healthcare system. That is make it accountable and that is something to be encouraged.

I find the Pakistani public to be too concerned, too consumed, too animated about non issues like open can of coke on United Airlines flight, the Palestinians in Gaza etc and not enough about basic bread and butter things in life. Health, schools, streets, law and order, sanitation etc.

If Pak public mobilizes and demands delivery of these services we can expect change.

Wow. Such an emotional nation. Lynching a doctor over alleged negligence. Medical mistakes and negligence happens every where. In United States medical error is the third leading cause of death just behind heart disease and cancer and as many as 400,000 people die of it a year. You can lower this figure but you can not eliminate it. This is reality. Much the same way, people do not stop driving because people die of it. Much the same way that oral polio vaccines do occasionally cause polio but for greater good, they are still used. This is how the real world works.

A country like Pakistan in which every year millions of babies die because of lack medical services, should concentrate on strengthening the doctors, and medical community and services instead of going out to lynch them over mistakes that are part of the game. How much training, equipment and remuneration are afforded to medical community in Pakistan that the people then demand to be provided an "error free" medical service? In the West a legal framework and a scientific prevention system to learn from mistakes as well as an insurance structure exist to remedy the medical errors which will always be there. You lynch doctors and you will become worse than what you are now.

Some hospitals in Pakistan are at breaking point. I have myself experienced this when I was shopping for some computer parts on Sixth Road, Rawalpindi, when we saw an car hit a pedestrian.

Me and a friend ran to the scene and identified ourselves the driver was in panic and crying that the person just jumped out, this was before 1122 was in Rawalpindi BTW, I am talking about 2002. We called 115 for an ambulance and after a 9 minute the ambulance finally turned up.

As soon as they arrived, with due respect I knew they will treat this poor man in a terrible condition in typical meat wagon fashion, so I stepped in and said, I will move the casualty and you can help me, I ensured we stabilised his spine the best we could and placed him on the stretcher. My friend sat in the car with the driver and I was in the ambulance.

We reached the hospital, EDHI staff placed the poor man on the hospital gurney which was covered with small specks of blood and what looked a lot like excrement. At first they would not register the casualty until we made a little bit of a scene and other people came to our aid. Finally they said he needs an X-Ray, you take him to the X-Ray room... once in there I was asked by the radiographer to hold the head of the casualty steady as they were short staffed and didn't have enough people to help... When I asked, can I at least have an apron (protects you from exposure), his only response was "chalta hain, bachey kar sako gey".o_O

The casualty had been hit by a vehicle at high speed and hit the ground causing severe trauma to the cranium, and compound fractures to both his legs. Needless to say he was unconscious, and instead of intubating him, the orderly kept trying to put him in the recovery position, Luckily we managed to get a resident who decided that he would benefit from an airway.

After that he was still left on the gurney outside the OT until we started making noise and then the doctor came back and said oh ho ye banda to critcal hain, then they had to cheek to tell us, he will need suture and we don't have suture kit or and we need 10x10 gauze too? fat the wack bro your running a hospital here!

If anyone knows Rawalpindi General Hospital, there are chemists opposite the hospital, I ran across the road to the chemist and and purchased sutures and gauze for this guy and two bottles of saline for fluid therapy, the doctor's assistant comes out and says, we need to give him blood so do you have anyone to donate and we will give him two bottles.... Can you ducking believe it!

So me the driver and another fellow said we will donate blood.... We did this and only after all this BS did the ducking doctor save that poor chap! Now Just imagine if this guy was brought in alone.!!!!!

No money, no honey: Health expenditure, public (% of GDP) | Data | Table

Note that Pakistan has the world's lowest public health expenditure just behind South Sudan, Myanmar and Haiti.

Back
Top Bottom