What's new

A PREGNANT WOMAN FALLS YET ANOTHER VICTIM TO MEDICAL NEGLIGENCE IN PAKISTAN

A country like Pakistan in which every year millions of babies die because of lack medical services, should concentrate on strengthening the doctors, and medical community and services instead of going out to lynch them over mistakes that are part of the game. How much training, equipment and remuneration are afforded to medical community in Pakistan that the people then demand to be provided an "error free" medical service? In the West a legal framework and a scientific prevention system to learn from mistakes as well as an insurance structure exist to remedy the medical errors which will always be there. You lynch doctors and you will become worse than what you are now.

Millions die per year? I'll have to research this...

Millions die per year? I'll have to research this...

It is actually how you define it. Intrapartum, neonate, infant, child below 5 years and so on and so forth. Each has its own figure. But overall in a statement fashion, yeah it would be in millions. For instance over 330,000 babies died before seeing their first birthday: http://www.who.int/maternal_child_adolescent/epidemiology/profiles/neonatal_child/pak.pdf

When your health expenditure is the lowest in the world just behind South Sudan, Myanmar and Haiti, you can not expect to have the world's best health service: Health expenditure, public (% of GDP) | Data | Table

It is actually how you define it. Intrapartum, neonate, infant, child below 5 years and so on and so forth. Each has its own figure. But overall in a statement fashion, yeah it would be in millions. For instance over 330,000 babies died before seeing their first birthday: http://www.who.int/maternal_child_adolescent/epidemiology/profiles/neonatal_child/pak.pdf

When your health expenditure is the lowest in the world just behind South Sudan, Myanmar and Haiti, you can not expect to have the world's best health service: Health expenditure, public (% of GDP) | Data | Table

:(

Yeah, it is sad indeed. And more than that it is inexcusable. Compare Pakistan's figure as I provided in the link above to these countries of roughly the same population and technical capacity:

Bangladesh: http://www.who.int/maternal_child_adolescent/epidemiology/profiles/neonatal_child/bgd.pdf

Brazil: http://www.who.int/maternal_child_adolescent/epidemiology/profiles/neonatal_child/bra.pdf

Instead of lynching a doctor because of an alleged error, they should concentrate to demand their government increase public health expenditure and strengthen the medical community.

@Daneshmand ,

There should be more accountability, especially in the Department of Health. Definitely. These numbers are disheartening , more resources should be allocated for health initiatives, especially in war torn regions such as the Khyber and Pakhtunwa regions. I hope that the Government of Pakistan sees to address these concerns effectively, judiciously.

@Daneshmand ,

There should be more accountability, especially in the Department of Health. Definitely. These numbers are disheartening , more resources should be allocated for health initiatives, especially in war torn regions such as the Khyber and Pakhtunwa regions. I hope that the Government of Pakistan sees to address these concerns effectively, judiciously.

Exactly right. I do not know what is going on there now, but I am sure there are Pakistanis here who know what is going on in those areas and whether the government has any plans to increase public health expenditure.

These are the questions that should be addressed not going on a witch hunt. The last time Europe did a witch hunt and accused European midwives and obstetricians, the health of women and children suffered: Witch trials in the early modern period - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I would like to note that this is in Karachi, the fabled city of lights. If the situation is that bad here how would the situation be in rural areas where both healthcare and media barely operate. With no media present the losses in rural areas are not even known. This applies both to the heat problem which killed around a thousand in the cities and to healthcare which is actually better in the cities.

Isn't there a difference between "Coma" and being "brain dead" ?

From what I understand, a patient can (possibly) still recover form a "Coma," but not if he is "Brain dead."

Please correct me if I'm wrong.
A patient is declared brain dead if cerebral and brain stem functions are absent. Moreover, the patient is apneic, i.e. unable to spontaneously respirate in response to hypercarbic stimulus. Once a patient is clinically diagnosed for brain death, he is disconnected from ventilator.

Coma as you have said, is a general brain failure, which under some circumstances is reversible.

Exactly right. I do not know what is going on there now, but I am sure there are Pakistanis here who know what is going on in those areas and whether the government has any plans to increase public health expenditure.

These are the questions that should be addressed not going on a witch hunt. The last time Europe did a witch hunt and accused European midwives and obstetricians, the health of women and children suffered: Witch trials in the early modern period - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This is not a witch hunt. It was in karachi in one of the better semi govt hospitals . Liaquat nationals post graduation was supposed to be one of the best in karachi.
Like i said in an earlier post have to find out why the chain of command was broken and the culprit penalised or this kind of thing would go on . Next time another name another victom another hospital. There has to be accoutability.
The state of affairs of lngh is way bwtter than civil or jinnah govt hispitals where the head nurse in a ward pockets about 75k per month by selling govt drugs . Thats just one example . And it does'nt matter if the medical superintendent is trying to make drugs available coz the lower staff have their own agenda . Most of these postings are POLITICAL
You get the picture.
The doctors that work in govt hospitals should not be allowed to private practise. Period

Nobody can conduct trial by media. A trial requires judge with powers of sanction non of which are applicable to the media. However the media or ordinary citizens like Akhelios can apply pressure on the public official/politicians to do something about the failed healthcare system. That is make it accountable and that is something to be encouraged.

I find the Pakistani public to be too concerned, too consumed, too animated about non issues like open can of coke on United Airlines flight, the Palestinians in Gaza etc and not enough about basic bread and butter things in life. Health, schools, streets, law and order, sanitation etc.

If Pak public mobilizes and demands delivery of these services we can expect change.

Sirjee, tussi barey bholay ho. Trial by media means this:

"Trial by media is a phrase popular in the late 20th century and early 21st century to describe the impact of television and newspaper coverage on a person's reputation by creating a widespread perception of guilt or innocence before, or after, a verdict in a court of law."

Sirjee, tussi barey bholay ho. Trial by media means this:

"Trial by media is a phrase popular in the late 20th century and early 21st century to describe the impact of television and newspaper coverage on a person's reputation by creating a widespread perception of guilt or innocence before, or after, a verdict in a court of law."

I know ......

I know ......

... and compare the hysterics being propagated on the social media and you will see nothing but a trial by media so far. Has a formal FIR been lodged even?

OK guys, Fresh update.
Today we had a meeting with MD of LNH in regard to some nursing related issues. He told us the entire story of what actually happened. A 5 member inquiry committee was established to investigate the case and all of them concluded that the death was attributed to a natural cause of which little to no treatment exists. The Husband was encouraged to a healthy discussion in front of entire panel. All of his claims were baseless. In fact eventually he realized that his claims were wrong.

The inquiry report was sent to PMDC as well. If the family had any issues with inquiry then they can subsequently request PMDC for an appeal and inquiry from their perspective as well but they refused realizing their mistake. The husband also stated at one point that that Dr Shahnaz Hussaini did this purposely on account of some Shia/Sunni dispute which was again a baseless allegation. The Hospital Administration had an opportunity to sue this gentleman over public defamation without any documented proof. But the Administration didn't as further prolonging this dispute would only cause problems for Dr Shahnaz who currently is facing significant death threats and humiliation. The family was also offered Post-Mortem examination at any institute of their choice which would give them the cause of death to which they again refused.

Not taking any names but 3 other large private tertiary care hospitals including AKU contacted LNH and has black listed this particular family.

There is no denying the fact that the grief of loosing someone is intense and cannot be compared to anything. People tend to get emotional and do things which would otherwise seem inappropriate. However, it is pretty shameful to see the response of this young generation. It is like you publish anything on face-book and the whole world would blindly believe it, further defame it and circulate it.

Anyhow, I really hope that Allah gives Sabar to family and eventually ALLAH will punish the one accountable in after-life.

OK guys, Fresh update.
Today we had a meeting with MD of LNH in regard to some nursing related issues. He told us the entire story of what actually happened. A 5 member inquiry committee was established to investigate the case and all of them concluded that the death was attributed to a natural cause of which little to no treatment exists. The Husband was encouraged to a healthy discussion in front of entire panel. All of his claims were baseless. In fact eventually he realized that his claims were wrong.

The inquiry report was sent to PMDC as well. If the family had any issues with inquiry then they can subsequently request PMDC for an appeal and inquiry from their perspective as well but they refused realizing their mistake. The husband also stated at one point that that Dr Shahnaz Hussaini did this purposely on account of some Shia/Sunni dispute which was again a baseless allegation. The Hospital Administration had an opportunity to sue this gentleman over public defamation without any documented proof. But the Administration didn't as further prolonging this dispute would only cause problems for Dr Shahnaz who currently is facing significant death threats and humiliation. The family was also offered Post-Mortem examination at any institute of their choice which would give them the cause of death to which they again refused.

Not taking any names but 3 other large private tertiary care hospitals including AKU contacted LNH and has black listed this particular family.

There is no denying the fact that the grief of loosing someone is intense and cannot be compared to anything. People tend to get emotional and do things which would otherwise seem inappropriate. However, it is pretty shameful to see the response of this young generation. It is like you publish anything on face-book and the whole world would blindly believe it, further defame it and circulate it.

Anyhow, I really hope that Allah gives Sabar to family and eventually ALLAH will punish the one accountable in after-life.

Well done, well done. I knew there was much of huhu-haha than the actual case. In 90% cases, attendants and relatives tend to be furious and prone to incite violence while people are there ready for lynching.

the death was attributed to a natural cause of which little to no treatment exists
Then why did it kill her to say just that to the husband instead of being more interested in asking him to pay for ICU and telling him that she will be "FINE" after 1 day there? If there is no treatment than how was ICU gonna make her fine?

Why did she take 10 hrs to get to the patient? Which country/ city was she coming from?

What the hell is that supposed to mean?

That if tomorrow 1 of them really dies from malpractice these 3 SUPER institutes will play a fake card out? Bravo!

I am very disappointed sure he threw baseles accusations like this :
did this purposely on account of some Shia/Sunni dispute
WHICH mind you WAS NEVER IN MAJORITY of the articles against her!

Most of them demanded the 10 hr absence and the ignorant attitude of the doctor....I think this has been effectively brushed under the carpet...

Back
Top Bottom