What's new

Zulfikar Ali Bhutto is the reason the state of education in Pakistan is so bad

Hi,

Thank you for posting this article---. I am witness to the deterioration of the systrem brought in by Zulfiqar Bhutto.

I was a young adult when he came in power---my dad was posted in interior Sindh province at that time----.

From excellent schools and colleges and a developing industrial base---everything got destroyed within the first 3 to 4 years of Zulfiqar Ali Bhutto's regime.

Hi,

That is a lie. Zulfiqar Ali Bhutto was a despicable character---.

I am a witness to the destruction caused by him to our education and industrial system.

Zulfiqar Ali Bhutto raped the country and made it a wh-ore.

Hi,

If you had the ability to understand---you would have realized that you have answered the question or the reasoning very well.

Basically---the answer is staring at your face---you just need to understand it.

Try it---if you don't find it---let me know and I will help you find it.

Today my father was telling me how they were able manufacture a variant of CJ totally in Pakistan for Pakistan Army. Industrial base was so vast that they managed to get every thing in Pakistan. Total 150 were manufactured and eventually all industry vanished like a bubble and so did the CJ 5 project.

logo.gif
Zulfikar Ali Bhutto is the reason the state of education in Pakistan is so bad
By Shakir Lakhani Published: November 11, 2016
42719-education-1478606728-692-640x480.jpg

Teachers no longer took their work seriously, knowing that being government employees, they could never be sacked. PHOTO: REUTERS

I recently came across an Urdu newspaper in which the date was stated to be October 32, 2016. Apparently the editor didn’t know that October has only 31 days, and it can’t ever have 32 days, not even if Imran Khan wants it and threatens to lock down the whole world if it is not done. Teachers of English in our schools are not qualified to teach, which is why most Pakistanis routinely add an apostrophe before an “s” even when it is not required.

Education standards have deteriorated drastically. I usually come across such phrases as “his” husband or “her” wife. At such times I wish that the writer would stick to his mother tongueinstead of massacring the English language. One of the aims of a good education is to train students to express themselves (if not in English, at least in their mother language). Unfortunately, that is no longer the case.

It was undoubtedly Zulfikar Ali Bhutto who gave the death blow to quality education in the country. His rampant nationalisation of schools and colleges to provide jobs for his party workers (one of whom became the principal of a school despite not being able to sign his name) ensured that the common man would never be able to provide a decent education for his children. Teachers no longer took their work seriously, knowing that being government employees, they could never be sacked.

A couple of years ago (40 years after the reckless nationalisation of education), I interviewed a graduate of a prestigious business institution of the country. He didn’t even know basic math (including how to calculate percentage increase or decrease in prices). In fact, he could not even do simple addition or subtraction. When I asked him what he would do without a calculator, he said a modern cell phone can also be used as a calculator. I asked him what he’d do if he didn’t have a calculator or a cell phone and needed to do simple calculations like when paying for groceries.

“I’ll ask someone who knows how to do it”, he said.

When I asked him how he was able to get his current job, he smiled and said,

“My father is a senior government officer”.

Way back in 1972, in the first cabinet of Bhutto, the health minister, Sheikh Rasheed, announced that by introducing generic medicines in the country, prices had come down by up to “a 1000%”. And he said this at an international conference outside Pakistan, which made us the laughing stock of the whole world. One foreign reporter asked the minister how prices could be reduced by a 1000%, since a decrease of only 100% in the price of any item would mean that its price would now be zero. I don’t remember how the minister retrieved himself from this awkward situation. Someone should have told him that by reducing the price of something by a 1000%, the pharmacy selling that item would not only have to give it away for free, but would also have to pay Rs900 to the buyer.

So, even before Bhutto nationalised schools and colleges to provide jobs for his party activists, quality education was not available in some government schools (like the one in which Sheikh Rasheed studied and passed his matric exam). I was surprised that Bhutto didn’t replace him (perhaps because he was a senior member of the party and already beyond retirement age).

I, myself, was fortunate to have studied in a missionary school which is famous for having produced a president of the country, a prime minister as well as a provincial governor and chief minister, a senior Indian politician and some army generals (a couple of whom were my classmates). One of my class fellows is a well-known columnist writing for a leading English newspaper of the country.

Teachers were dedicated and strict. The school was run by Dutch Christian priests who spoke to us only in English. They were strict disciplinarians who didn’t hesitate to cane us if we didn’t do our homework. This school was among the two missionary schools in Karachi that were not nationalised, but when I had my son admitted there in 1980 I found that the former teachers had retired and had been replaced by those who were products of nationalised schools and were not as good as ours had been. Nowadays, of course, private schools have sprung up and children of the elite are being trained to get good jobs after they graduate. But even some private school teachers are not as good as the ones we had when we were kids. My teachers were so good that I didn’t need tuition, but most children nowadays need to avail private tuitions to be able to pass. Perhaps it’s because school teachers are not paid more than the minimum wage prescribed by the government.

It will be a long time before things improve, and I doubt it will happen in my lifetime.

1692.jpg

Shakir Lakhani
Engineer, former visiting lecturer at NED Engineering College, industrialist, associated with petroleum/chemical industries for many years. Loves writing, and (in the opinion of most of those who know him), mentally unbalanced. He tweets @shakirlakhani (twitter.com/shakirlakhani)

ZAB is dead more then 50 years from now and stop blaming the 50 years of mess and try to find solution now and resolve this issue otherwise history will see you as a criminal

1. Zulfiqar Bhutto is the reason we are bad in education
  2. Zia ul Haq is the reason we have drugs and weapon culture in Pakistan
  3. Zardari is the reason we are most corrupt people in every field
  4. Nawaz Sharif is the reason we are dump and incapable.
We got excuse for every reason...
These are real reasons but do agree we do not have any excuse that why this is not being fixed

This guy is a oaf. This article he wrote is ample proof of that.

Oh okay so it was ZAB that did in education.

So we had ministers in 1972 before Bhutto's nationalizaion that did not understand what '1000%' was. Proving that even before 1970s Pakistan had some bad schools.

Good for you - although in my opinion your still a oaf.

Hurrah. That means your school escaped ZAB's destruction of education. Great.

So let me get this right. Your son went to this school in 1980 but the teachers had been replaced - which is normal thing to happen. But were these teachers products of Bhuttos 'nationalized' schools?

So let me get this right. Eight years after nationalization in 1972 this great school that Mr Lakhanin had gone to was in 1980 run to the dogs because it was full of teachers who were products of ZAB's nationalized schools. 8 years later? Come on. Did this school sack all the teachers in 1980 and replace them all with young teachers all products from post 1972. Does not make any sense and goes against what the writer is claiming.

The real reason in dumbing down in education was simple. It was happening across the board in all spheres of government and society. The British had brought with them the formaula that made them a superpower. Meritocracy, education and hard work ethic. These qualaties had to a degree began to seep into what is now Pakistn within a small body of the educated - who were products of British rule including Mr Jinnah himself.

Every year past 1947 British influence and legacy got weaker amnd weaker. That gradually led to things dumbing down year after year. That is the real reason for drop in standards.

The disappearance of the Macaulayite fringe element, with its own set of prejudices and values, and its replacement with home-grown products, replete with home-grown prejudices and values.

1. Zulfiqar Bhutto is the reason we are bad in education
  2. Zia ul Haq is the reason we have drugs and weapon culture in Pakistan
  3. Zardari is the reason we are most corrupt people in every field
  4. Nawaz Sharif is the reason we are dump and incapable.
We got excuse for every reason...

you got the problem from its tail

In almost every developed country people speak their own language they get educated in their own language but yahan toh jitni taiz angreezi utna he purha likha!

Confused nation!
IS the amount of published scientific literature more in English, than in Urdu, Punjabi, Pushto, Baluchi, Sindhi, Hindko etc?

What is the worlds international business language?

What is the second most spoken language, geographically, not numerically.

Learn your own language, excel in it, but don't disregard other languages, get an excellent grip on them too, IF you want to move forward.

Khaala bag proposed by Nawaz Sharif denied based on the consensus taking every political parties into the account including the account of Pervez Khattak which Imran Khan recently hired given the history of Pervez Khattak's anti-development of Pakistan.

Are you that naive not to know the truth at all?

To hell with consensus, History will remember Dams, not bloody consensus!

Projects of national interest should not be held hostage by petty politicians.

ZAB is dead more then 50 years from now and stop blaming the 50 years of mess and try to find solution now and resolve this issue otherwise history will see you as a criminal
To stand up for what is right, you need balls. But our leaders are impotent / khasis.

Hi,

Thank you for posting this article---. I am witness to the deterioration of the system brought in by Zulfiqar Bhutto.

I was a young adult when he came in power---my dad was posted in interior Sindh province at that time----.

From excellent schools and colleges and a developing industrial base---everything got destroyed within the first 3 to 4 years of Zulfiqar Ali Bhutto's regime.

He was a Vaderra, a Land Baron, it was not in his interest to give education to the "kammi"

Khaala bag proposed by Nawaz Sharif denied based on the consensus taking every political parties into the account including the account of Pervez Khattak which Imran Khan recently hired given the history of Pervez Khattak's anti-development of Pakistan.

Are you that naive not to know the truth at all?

Basically, you want Pakistan to live in stone old age instead of living in 21st century. Brilliant. Indeed, you guys are here for the modern Tabdheeli [modern change]. :D

Hi,

There is no such thing as consnsus for building dams---air bases---military cantonments---.

In the U S---there is a Law called Eminent Domain---the state can get whatever it wants " the right of a government or its agent to expropriate private property for public use, with payment of compensation ".

Land is acquired for dams---malls---housing projects---playing fields and whatever not ---wilfully at first and then thru eminent domain.

But to build dams---there is no consensus required---.

IS the amount of published scientific literature more in English, than in Urdu, Punjabi, Pushto, Baluchi, Sindhi, Hindko etc?

Learn your own language, excel in it, but don't disregard other languages, get an excellent grip on them too, IF you want to move forward.

To stand up for what is right, you need balls. But our leaders are impotent / khasis.

He was a Vaderra, a Land Baron, it was not in his interest to give education to the "kammi"

No denying that one should learn english but giving it preference over your own language is stupidity and shows that you feel inferior and no proud of what you are!

World leaders speak their language proudly but our leaders are ashamed to use urdu in international forums!

Our schools fine kids for speaking urdu...now thats idiotic.and to excel one needs to understand things better and not trnaslate some alien language into his own language!translate everything into urdu and make urdu the preffered language all over the country and also sarkari language.

No denying that one should learn english but giving it preference over your own language is stupidity and shows that you feel inferior and no proud of what you are!

It has nothing to do with feeling inferior but a reality check. False bravado only hurts your cause, no one else's. Like I said, do learn your language, but learn other languages too. No harm in being proficient in two, or three languages.

World leaders speak their language proudly but our leaders are ashamed to use urdu in international forums!
From personal experience in attending international forums, the less you use a translator the better it is. What you don't want is your message to be "lost in translation".

Our polticiams do speak in English, but what they actually communicate...... The less said the better.

Our schools fine kids for speaking urdu...now thats idiotic.and to excel one needs to understand things better and not trnaslate some alien language into his own language!translate everything into urdu and make urdu the preffered language all over the country and also sarkari language.

Sir, why would an Urdu medium school, fine kids for speaking in Urdu? Doesn't make sense! Well an English Medium one would. So if you want your kids to speak Urdu in school, why send them to an English medium one? Doesn't make sense.

Do try and understand what I have said with an open mind.

Best Regards

It has nothing to do with feeling inferior but a reality check. False bravado only hurts your cause, no one else's. Like I said, do learn your language, but learn other languages too. No harm in being proficient in two, or three languages.

From personal experience in attending international forums, the less you use a translator the better it is. What you don't want is your message to be "lost in translation".

Our polticiams do speak in English, but what they actually communicate...... The less said the better.

Sir, why would an Urdu medium school, fine kids for speaking in Urdu? Doesn't make sense! Well an English Medium one would. So if you want your kids to speak Urdu in school, why send them to an English medium one? Doesn't make sense.

Best Regards

Best Regards

Okay arabs or arab knowledge was the reasom europe came out of dark ages and thats according to bbc documentary....they translated arab literature into their language and spread knowledge in their knowledge they dint ask masses to learn arabic because they were smart enough to know that transfer of knowledge would be easier if masses are tought in their mother tongue...

I am all for learning english but i against this whole idea keh jitni ghari angrezi utna he purha likha! And thats the standard of our country these days! Schools concentrate more on teaching english language and not actually educating kids! And majority of people cant afford english medium school so they are not getting quality education that minority is getting...

What should he done is translate everything into urdu teach everything in urdu so everyone gets equal education and teach english as second language and not "preffered language"

Hi,

There is no such thing as consnsus for building dams---air bases---military cantonments---.

In the U S---there is a Law called Eminent Domain---the state can get whatever it wants " the right of a government or its agent to expropriate private property for public use, with payment of compensation ".

Land is acquired for dams---malls---housing projects---playing fields and whatever not ---wilfully at first and then thru eminent domain.

But to build dams---there is no consensus required---.

Why don't you ask Chairman of PTI? Even he will tell you the same. He clarified in this specific matter. If the consensus is not favor of dam, then there can never be dam. Otherwise, it is politically suicide against the votes of the majority of public that governs through the political bodies.

If it wasn't for consensus, Khala baag would have been built by now.

Consensus on Kalabagh dam impossible, says KP CM

The chief minister said that he had always remained anti-Kalabagh dam in his individual capacity and even participated in different rallies against it. “Kalabagh dam will be damaging for the Nowshera, Charsadda and Swabi districts besides some parts of Peshawar,” he said.

Hi,

Even the americans are adjusting to changing languages---. White people making their children learn spanish---.

American chinese making thei rchilden learn spanish---french or german---in big cities you will see ads for baby sitters who can only speak spanish or french or german so that the baby will be bi-lingual.

The south koreans started teaching their children english and so did the chinese as well our arch enemy the indians as well-.

So---whosoever talks about urud firts---is truly the enemy of pakistan and is a true fifth columnist and a saboteur.

Okay arabs or arab knowledge was the reasom europe came out of dark ages and thats according to bbc documentary....they translated arab literature into their language and spread knowledge in their knowledge they dint ask masses to learn arabic because they were smart enough to know that transfer of knowledge would be easier if masses are tought in their mother tongue...

I am all for learning english but i against this whole idea keh jitni ghari angrezi utna he purha likha! And thats the standard of our country these days! Schools concentrate more on teaching english language and not actually educating kids! And majority of people cant afford english medium school so they are not getting quality education that minority is getting...

What should he done is translate everything into urdu teach everything in urdu so everyone gets equal education and teach english as second language and not "preffered language"

Well not Arab knowledge, but scientific knowledge of the Islamic world, Muhammad ibn Musa al-Khwarizmi is one good such example. Many of the leading scientists of the Islamic world were not Arabs.

So as per your argument it is easier to learn in one's mother tongue, but Urdu is only the mother tongue of a minority, so what happens to the Punjabis, Sarikis, Pushto, Balouchis, Sindhi, Hindko etc speakers? Besides how much time will it take to translate, and how much will it cost?

As to your statement: "jitni ghari angrezi utna he purha likha" is a reflection of how superficial our society is. But does not work always, but in some cases excels quite well, because we may like it, or not, but presentation does count.

Your statement "Schools concentrate more on teaching English language than educating kids," Well one only has to look at the board level results to judge how good a school is. Painting with a broad brush doesn't help. It's is heartening to look at youngsters on this very forum, some as young as 14, give some seniors a good run. Seems besides English language they are getting educated after all.

Pre-Bhutto we had a very good Govt. education system, unfortunately like all good things he destroyed, education was also one, that succumbed to his lunacy.. Subsequent govt's never bothered to undo what he did, as a result we suffer today.

We cannot make implement changes over night, but slowly and surely we have to move in the right direction, or we can sit here on PDF maintain the current status quo, and keep on talking!

I do not believe in talking about projects before they are implemented, my personal pet project is to move to my old locality where people know me, and my family, and provide free classes and counseling to youngsters. I still remember a teacher of mine who changed the course of my life, without her invaluable dedication, my parents prayers, and Allah's blessings, I would not be what I am today.

Have a look at what these good people are up to:

http://darusshifa.com/shama-homes

The least we can do is support such projects.

Best Regards
Pak Fuaj Zindabad Pakistan Paindabad

Well not Arab knowledge, but scientific knowledge of the Islamic world, Muhammad ibn Musa al-Khwarizmi is one good such example. Many of the leading scientists of the Islamic world were not Arabs.

So as per your argument it is easier to learn in one's mother tongue, but Urdu is only the mother tongue of a minority, so what happens to the Punjabis, Sarikis, Pushto, Balouchis, Sindhi, Hindko etc speakers? Besides how much time will it take to translate, and how much will it cost?

As to your statement: "jitni ghari angrezi utna he purha likha" is a reflection of how superficial our society is. But does not work always, but in some cases excels quite well, because we may like it, or not, but presentation does count.

Your statement "Schools concentrate more on teaching English language than educating kids," Well one only has to look at the board level results to judge how good a school is. Painting with a broad brush doesn't help. It's is heartening to look at youngsters on this very forum, some as young as 14, give some seniors a good run. Seems besides English language they are getting educated after all.

Pre-Bhutto we had a very good Govt. education system, unfortunately like all good things he destroyed, education was also one, that succumbed to his lunacy.. Subsequent govt's never bothered to undo what he did, as a result we suffer today.

We cannot make implement changes over night, but slowly and surely we have to move in the right direction, or we can sit here on PDF maintain the current status quo, and keep on talking!

I do not believe in talking about projects before they are implemented, my personal pet project is to move to my old locality where people know me, and my family, and provide free classes and counseling to youngsters. I still remember a teacher of mine who changed the course of my life, without her invaluable dedication, my parents prayers, and Allah's blessings, I would not be what I am today.

Have a look at what these good people are up to:

http://darusshifa.com/shama-homes

The least we can do is support such projects.

Best Regards
Pak Fuaj Zindabad Pakistan Paindabad

I am not saying you are wrong! But my only argument is urdu is our national langauage and spoken and understood by majority so its cheaper and easier to educate train masses if done in urdu!

I may be wrong but there must be a reason why every developed nation of the world prefer to teach kids in their langauge and not some foreign language

And good luck with your project this country needs people like you! I salute you for your work!

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom