What's new

Zhuhai "Airshow China 2016"

AVIC's turbojet-powered Cloud Shadow UAV emerges

1679450_-_main.jpg

Unlike the other UAV platforms on display at Airshow China 2016, AVIC's Cloud Shadow is powered by an 'indigenous' WP11C turbojet engine. Source: IHS/Kelvin Wong

The Aviation Industry Corporation of China (AVIC) unveiled the Cloud Shadow, a turbojet-powered, medium/high-altitude long-endurance unmanned aerial vehicle (UAV) at the Airshow China 2016 exposition, which was held in the southern city of Zhuhai from 1 to 6 November.

Developed by AVIC's Chengdu Aircraft Corporation (CAC) subsidiary, the export-oriented Cloud Shadow is available in two configurations: the armed reconnaissance model, which has a maximum speed of 550 km/h but a payload capacity of 400 kg, and six underwing hardpoints for external stores; and a dedicated intelligence, surveillance, and reconnaissance (ISR) platform, which features a higher maximum speed of 620 km/h but can only carry a 200 kg payload comprising communication, and radar surveillance equipment, or high-definition photo-reconnaissance systems.

The ISR and armed reconnaissance variants are similarly equipped with a synthetic aperture radar (SAR) for improved moving target tracking performance, although only the latter carries a belly-mounted electro-optical/infrared (EO/IR) sensor turret for target designation and post-strike battle-damage assessment (BDA).

p1679451.jpg

The Cloud Shadow UAV bears a striking resemblance to the General Atomics Predator C Avenger platform, although it does not appear to possess the same level of performance. (IHS/Kelvin Wong)

Both platforms share the same 9 m long and 3.66 m tall airframe that appears to draw some degree of inspiration from the US-made General Atomics Aeronautical Systems Predator C Avenger platform, with a mid-mounted wing design that spans 17.8 m and features a forward-swept trailing edge on the inboard section tapering to a constant chord outer section, although the Cloud Shadow's wings are swept back only about 10° compared with the Avenger's more pronounced 17° sweep. However, unlike Avenger the Cloud Shadow is not equipped with an internal stores bay.

The Cloud Shadow is also equipped with V tail surfaces and a dorsally mounted pod for its propulsion system. This was revealed by AVIC to be the WP11C turbojet engine, a "modernised and refined" version of the original WP11 system developed by the Beijing University of Aeronautics and Astronautics (BUAA) for unmanned aircraft applications.

Want to read more? For analysis on this article and access to all our insight content, please enquire about our subscription options ihs.com/contact

To read the full article, Client Login
(326 of 686 words)

http://www.janes.com/article/65345/avic-s-turbojet-powered-cloud-shadow-uav-emerges

AVIC's turbojet-powered Cloud Shadow UAV emerges

Imagine if say 4 of these modified for AA operations only, with long range radar and 4-6 BVR missiles are flying across Pakistan 24*7 (or majority of the day). Knowing the airspace topography, this would provide some serious AA/AD capability. Pakistan should get some modern system like this and build internal industry, along with BVR and SAM missiles. That should be the highest priority.

ZhuHai AirShow :coffee:

Sir, Can you post details on the two-AESA AEW aircraft like the one's China sold to Pakistan? You can see it parked in many pictures. I was curious to find its range and loiter time. Thanks

Sir, Wouldn't these types of MERs create more drag and reduce agility of the plane especially in a dog fight or when breaking a missile lock? The BVR's are sort of "hanging off" of the MERs. If you see the ones the American military uses, it spreads the missiles towards the sides, closer to the wings, so the missile isn't too far from the wing (vs. downwards like in the J-10 picture). That way, there is much less drag and a jet's maneuverability isn't effected. Please explain. Thanks

F15_1.png

Sir, Wouldn't these types of MERs create more drag and reduce agility of the plane especially in a dog fight or when breaking a missile lock? The BVR's are sort of "hanging off" of the MERs. If you see the ones the American military uses, it spreads the missiles towards the sides, closer to the wings, so the missile isn't too far from the wing (vs. downwards like in the J-10 picture). That way, there is much less drag and a jet's maneuverability isn't effected. Please explain. Thanks

View attachment 350301
Maybe you should ask the designer of J-10B to answer your question. How would anyone here know why J-10B is designed in the way it is?

Maybe you should ask the designer of J-10B to answer your question. How would anyone here know why J-10B is designed in the way it is?

Sir, I would assume someone on here would be a pilot or an ex-pilot/engineer, etc, etc? They may be able to answer. If I could reach out to the designer of the J-10B, don't you think I'd have sent him an email on his hotmail account already? (if he had one and could access it)? Thanks

Sir, I would assume someone on here would be a pilot or an ex-pilot/engineer, etc, etc? They may be able to answer. If I could reach out to the designer of the J-10B, don't you think I'd have sent him an email on his hotmail account already? (if he had one and could access it)? Thanks
Even a pilot or an ex-pilot/engineer may not know the design rationale behind a plane he hasn't played with.

Sir, Can you post details on the two-AESA AEW aircraft like the one's China sold to Pakistan? You can see it parked in many pictures. I was curious to find its range and loiter time. Thanks
1. "I was curious to find its range and loiter time. " I believe on internet no one can answer that question, both r some sensitive data to the AEW aircraft. ;) My friend, u need the translator to visit below Chinese web link about KJ-200, KJ-500, ZDK-03 some detail information in there. By the way as far as we knew, China already sold 4x ZDK-03 AEW to Pakistan, all r serving in the Airforce.

2. :-)
PLAAF KJ-200 (Only Chinese)
KJ200.jpg

8ba1b20174033e39e283_size63_w900_h505.jpg

PLAAF KJ-500 (only Chinese)
kj500.jpg

Pakistan ZDK-03 (Only Chinese)
V0X5NKO714HE.jpg

023b5bb5c9ea15ce3a1090b6b1003af33b87b296.jpg

bc917381-2037-4aa1-a8b1-06a39a29d0fa.jpg

Attachments

• bc917381-2037-4aa1-a8b1-06a39a29d0fa.jpg
    bc917381-2037-4aa1-a8b1-06a39a29d0fa.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:
1. "I was curious to find its range and loiter time. " I believe on internet no one can answer that question, both r some sensitive data to the AEW aircraft. ;) My friend, u need the translator to visit below Chinese web link about KJ-200, KJ-500, ZDK-03 some detail information in there. By the way as far as we knew, China already sold 4x ZDK-03 AEW to Pakistan, all r serving in the Airforce.

Thank you for the pics. What I was hoping to get, was the translation of the product description they keep in front of the parked planes. That should have the basic range and the classified could be different. So if you can translate the radar's range, that would be cool. Just wanted to know what the product board says on display. Thanks

View attachment 350301

You are comparing orange and apple. J-10 pylon is meant to be flexible. While the F-15 you showed is fixed. If J-10 take out the MER and added just a BVR missile. Can you say J-10 pylon has less drag than the big F-15 pylon. While can F-15 take out that big pylon MER and replaced with just one missile? No..

Just like J-10 refuel probe. Yes, it caused more drag but if acting as interceptor only without the need to go deep strike. Most likely it can take out the probe and act as home point blank fighter.

Everything is depend on mission profile.

Back
Top Bottom