What's new

Your favorite English songs

Ah...never heard this mix for "I Feel Free" and it's real nice. The solo at the 1:16 mark is absolutely classic Clapton at his very best- signature even- especially how he finishes out.

Brings tears to me eyes it's soooo fuzz-tone good. He made his name globally on THIS album. Those in the know had been tracking him from the Yardbirds and Mayall but now (with the help of a groovy lil' hippie rag called ROLLING STONE) the word was out to the general public.

Very, very tasty little track there.:agree:

^^ Dude S2, Clapton and Winwood are currently on tour. I'd definitely recommend checking it out.

"Clapton and Winwood are currently on tour. I'd definitely recommend checking it out."

I know too well. No northwest dates set and I ain't heading to the Bay or L.A. to see them. I've been posting their stuff from the Crossroads Festival in Chicago July 2007 since page thirteen on this thread.

Best thing that's happened to Clapton's playing in years, IMHO. Winwood's a very respected peer who seems to pull the best from Eric. Only other guy who could've done such in my estimation was Duane Allman and he's obviously long cold.

I know too well. No northwest dates set and I ain't heading to the Bay or L.A. to see them. I've been posting their stuff from the Crossroads Festival in Chicago July 2007 since page thirteen on this thread.

Best thing that's happened to Clapton's playing in years, IMHO. Winwood's a very respected peer who seems to pull the best from Eric. Only other guy who could've done such in my estimation was Duane Allman and he's obviously long cold.
They're an excellent combo, no doubt about it. Winwood is a brilliant and accomplished musician in his own right and has managed to keep a low profile. I have noticed that individuals like him have been just as critical and to rock music as high profile celebrities like Eric Clapton or Jimmy Page. Jon Paul Jones also falls into this category of the quiet genius; a brilliant musician, and like Winwood a multi instrumentalist, who was an excellent foil to Page and Robert Plant.

Sometimes I'm truly amazed by how many 'grand master' level rock musicians sprouted up in that era, especially in the UK... I mean to think that even a flailing group like the Yardbirds sported Clapton, Page and Jeff Beck! Its also amazing to see how much of an influence brit artists have had on American blues inspired rock.

Maybe I'm just getting old and cynical, but since the grunge movement out of the pacific north west, I have as yet to see anything impressive coming up stateside. Cornell and Vedder are still going strong, so that still keeps me a little happy.

"I have as yet to see anything impressive coming up stateside."

I've a few that I dig. Black Crowes, but those guys (like the grungers) are in their forties now. I love em', though and no better cover band in rock. They've DEEP respect for the sixties/early seventies scene and cover cool songs faithfully whenever touring.

Drive By Truckers, My Morning Jacket, and Calexico catch my ear here too. Interesting bands that strike me as real intelligent and perceptive.

Feels like 1962 though. Very cheesy stuff with a bunch of worthless blonde bimbos running about (matriarch of such- Madonna- HATE her. Absolutely LOATHE that woman save one tune). Choreographed dance crap just fries me.

Anyway, for you Madonna lovers, the only song by her I can stand-

Not good though. Startin' to lose touch. Derek Trucks has made the Allman Bros. and Clapton interesting again only because he's Duane Allman's re-incarnation.

Lookin' to England for hope but just don't know anymore...

Last edited by a moderator:
Arelle (R. L.) Burnside --- RIP

:cheers:

R.L. Burnside stands out. Very, very cool track. Totally low-down raw...:)

Pink Floyd - Wish you were here
Sarah McLachlan - Arms Of An Angel (Beautiful lyrics but I avoid listening to that song. Evokes too much emotion. Reminding me of lost loved ones).

Ah...Muse has a taste for the smooth and upscale. Drum machines lose me but the ladies don't. Nice eye.

here goes another country treat to all- The blokes here......

Fogerty has one of the great rock voices of all-time. Inimitable. Great, economical guitarist with always perfect tone.

Almost Saturday Night-

It's not the Flying Burrito Brothers, but

Back
Top Bottom