What's new

Y-20 heavy transport aircraft News & Discussions

005Meirwly1gnu9jix11oj31h60u0n8u.jpg

Via CCTV 7 and @空天砺剑 from Weibo

@Deino I don't think the Y-20 is available for export yet, but, watch this space because the PAF is on the look for a successor to the IL-78. Basically, a heavy-lifter with more efficient engines, and AAR capability.

@Deino I don't think the Y-20 is available for export yet, but, watch this space because the PAF is on the look for a successor to the IL-78. Basically, a heavy-lifter with more efficient engines, and AAR capability.

... and as such the Y-20U would be a primary candidate!

So there is some rumour around similar to a new fighter? 😉

Question - can't same engines like WS20 be used for civilian aircrafts like C919? or engines need to be specifically designed for particular aircraft?

Question - can't same engines like WS20 be used for civilian aircrafts like C919? or engines need to be specifically designed for particular aircraft?
You may wish to search the net resource for the High-bypass vs. Low-bypass ratio of aero-engine; moreover military aero-engine prioritizes performance, while civilian aero-engine prioritizes fuel economy.

Of course, if push comes to shove, the military aero-engine can be used for civilian aircraft, in particular to the domestic use.

But for C919, the civilian aero-engine corp. ACAE is developing the CJ-1000 series and CJ-2000 series.

WS-20 for currently produced types ... WS-18 or remaining Russian D-30KP-2s for old Y-20s.

As I understand it the WS-20 is still in testing.

Seems like a long time as the first engine was put on a Russian plane all the way back in 2014.

CJ-1000 and Leap X are more fuel efficient than WS-20 engine. Maxismise profit and tough margin are crucial for C919 to be competitive against other same category of narrow passenger airliner.

WS-20 I believe will be used on militarize version of C919 like USN P-8 since that additional fuel consumption will not do much harm for military.

I believe WS-20 will not enter service with Y-20 soon. Maybe another 2-3 years. It's not critical since the current Y-20 are working fine with WS-18 engine which can be compatible with H-6K bomber and IL-76.

The photo we see with WS-20 io Y-20 is more for verification or certify the engine.

Back
Top Bottom