What's new

Y-20 heavy transport aircraft News & Discussions

China requires 'more than 1,000' XAC Y-20 heavy strategic transport aircraft (model shown here), according to a Chinese aviation industry official. Source: Via Sina.com

http://www.janes.com/article/61026/china-needs-more-than-1-000-xian-y-20-transport-aircraft

Here an IMO much more realistic estimation on the PLAAF's requirement:

Expert: No more than 100 Xian Y-20s will be deployed to troops

http://en.people.cn/n3/2016/0617/c98649-9073732.html

Recently, news that the first batch of China's Xian Y-20 large military transport aircraft has been deployed to troops appeared on Weibo and in online military forums. However, the news hasn't been confirmed by the PLA. People's Daily Online interviewed military expert Xu Yongling on this issue and according to him, no more than 100 Y-20s will be deployed to troops in the future and in the next five to ten years, China may develop its third generation military transport aircrafts.

According to Xu, if the Y-20 has been used to equip the troops, then it only takes three and a half years from the maiden flight to actual use. The A-400M transport aircraft of the Europe took six years for this process. Since the maiden flight, the Y-20 hasn't experienced any major technological difficulties; in addition that this transport plane doesn't need so many experiments as the fighters, so it is believable that the Y-20 will be deployed to troops in the near future.

Some media previously reported that the PLA needs over 300 Y-20s to better meet the strategic need of the air force. Xu disagreed, "I think the total number of Y-20s used to equip the troops will not exceed 100." This prediction is based on the transport needs of the PLA as well as the international strategic environment. Moreover, the cost is also a practical factor being taken into consideration.

"It is unlikely that we will invest so much in the second generation military transport aircraft. In the next five to ten years, China may develop more advanced third generation military transport aircraft, the loading capacity and delivery distance of which will be greatly improved from the second generation," Xu said.

Small and grainy but anyway nice ... I wish to see a nice and clear close up of that operational bird in the air !

Y-20 service introduction 4. Div - 15.6.16 - 5.jpg

Y-20 yellow + Il-76LL + WS-20 rear view - June 16.png

Last edited:
Why does the operational Y-20 have a dark color scheme and yellow serial numbers?

Is this the norm for PLAAF airlifters or support aircraft?

Cf3qoUr.jpg

RUBKzDh.jpg

axjpWPh.jpg

THose engines are not DK30-P2, there are domestic made Chinese WS-18 with uprated thrust and fanblade lifespan. That is why Y-20 payload is more than IL-76.

I have make a thread about it few months ago.
More looks like Russia DK-30 engines ... i think we still not read any news about the Y-20 engine, maybe those Y-20 used DK-30, later waiting for domestic WS-20 engines. If i doing this engine project, 1 step is import DK-30 or copy engine (WS-18), 2 step is developing domestic WS-20 engine, two ways running together for China Y-20.

Y-20 vs C-17 vs IL-78 vs A-400 :-)
55.jpg
66.jpg

2016-06-15 06.30pm 1st China Y-20 delivered to PLAAF :china:
2016年6月15日下午十八时三十分,某新型战略运输机首批交付部队服役仪式在中航工业某试飞中心圆满结束。这是我国空军正式开始具备强大战略投送能力的重要标志。壮观的水门庆典等现场图欠奉,敬请期待。
111.jpg

222.jpg

333.jpg

Back
Top Bottom