What's new

Y-20 heavy transport aircraft News & Discussions

Some beautiful shots of Xi'an Y-20
via lqy

参加红场阅兵的中国人民解放军仪仗大队105名官兵乘运20回国
105 officers and soldiers of the honor guard brigade of the PLA, who participated in the Red Square parade, returned home by Y-20

Y-20 backed from Red Square Parade 20200625 01.jpeg

Y-20 backed from Red Square Parade 20200625 02.jpeg

Y-20 backed from Red Square Parade 20200625 03.jpeg

Y-20 backed from Red Square Parade 20200625 04.jpeg

Given its individual bort number, the 12th Y-20A - #PLAAF serial number 11152 - assigned to the 4th Transport Division based at Chengdu/Qionglai has been spotted.

As such altogether 12 Y-20As from 13 nos. (no. 11051 to 11153 - all but 11054) within this unit have been confirmed.

(Image by @Unbeliverpool via Jetphotos)

Y-20A 11152 - 4. Div 12. AR - 202006.jpg

Given its individual bort number, the 12th Y-20A - #PLAAF serial number 11152 - assigned to the 4th Transport Division based at Chengdu/Qionglai has been spotted.

As such altogether 12 Y-20As from 13 nos. (no. 11051 to 11153 - all but 11054) within this unit have been confirmed.

(Image by @Unbeliverpool via Jetphotos)

View attachment 645538
I have a impression that Y-20's production speed is much much faster than J-20.

I have a impression that Y-20's production speed is much much faster than J-20.
I highly doubt it ... J-20 is much more important right now, the PLAAF knows there is an urgent need to combat the F-35 in the Pacific. Just because we don't have numbers doesn't mean they don't exist.

I highly doubt it ... J-20 is much more important right now, the PLAAF knows there is an urgent need to combat the F-35 in the Pacific. Just because we don't have numbers doesn't mean they don't exist.

That's for sure and therefore we both only said "it seems " and we have the "impression" that. But still the question remains:

Where are all these WS-10B/C-powered J-10Cs and J-20As?

J-20 is very expensive and has not proven effective.
Y-20 versatile, it supports military and civilian.
How does the J-20 have to prove its effective? By going to war with another country? Come on ...

How does the J-20 have to prove its effective? By going to war with another country? Come on ...

F-117 was stealthy and invincible before it was shot down

Y-20, no one doubts its capabilities

J-20, stealthy or not. Stealth level. The results are not important. Do not put all eggs in one basket.

J-20, stealthy or not. Stealth level. The results are not important. Do not put all eggs in one basket.
Just because the J-20 hasn't proven itself in combat does not mean they shouldn't produce it ... the PLAAF needs both the J-20 and the Y-20. But obviously more J-20 units will be built because they are front line fighters while the Y-20 is a transport aircraft (serves entirely different purpose).

Hmm, doesn't make much sense because PLAAF can test it against it's own fighter/AWACS/H9/S400 to test its effectiveness before entering into service.
This works for all other systems in all countries in the same way.

Just because the J-20 hasn't proven itself in combat does not mean they shouldn't produce it ... the PLAAF needs both the J-20 and the Y-20. But obviously more J-20 units will be built because they are front line fighters while the Y-20 is a transport aircraft (serves entirely different purpose).
Probably some key parts can't be produced in fast pace yet.
Or just as Deino mentioned, it's just hard to spot compare to Y20 hence the wrong impression.

1. I never said "China should not produce J-20". Should produce or not, quantity is more or less. That is the Chinese government's decision.

2. Y-20 can be used in civilian and military.

Hmm, doesn't make much sense because PLAAF can test it against it's own fighter/AWACS/H9/S400 to test its effectiveness before entering into service.
This works for all other systems in all countries in the same way.

Everyone knows that

The United States tested the F-117 with its radar system before putting it into battle. F-22, F-35, B-2, B-21 are all tested in the same way.

The test was successful, so they built more and pushed into battle

Before the war, all believed absolutely
In real war, no one knows.

Last edited:
1. I never said "China should not produce J-20". Should produce or not, quantity is more or less. That is the Chinese government's decision.

Everyone knows that

The United States tested the F-117 with its radar system before putting it into battle. F-22, F-35, B-2, B-21 are all tested in the same way.

Everyone knows that

I'm not very sure if I get your point correctly.
If you meant that PLAAF is doing what they had done for the J-10: "build a batch(less then 50 for first batch), wait for feedbacks from frontier squadrons, improve it base on these feedbacks"
Then I think it's possible.
This strategy is widely adopted in PLA. For example: PLAN's Type 052

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom