What's new

Y-20 heavy transport aircraft News & Discussions

a0bbb642ly1getfboc5y0j25621ivqv8 (1).jpg

Via @unnamed-URC from Weibo

that is what i was thinking too its only with the Chinese and Russian engines you see smoke coming out not with any western engines .but again i respect Chinese development speed and the amount of money they are spending in R&D in next 5 to 10 years max they will be far more advance then western countries
its also depends on weather conditions , i can show you lots clips that's shows F-16/F-15/F-14 engines also smokes

Last edited:
how many y20 China has produced till today? Any stats?
Plane spotters have counted 15 in-service Y20 with photo evidence.

However, from satellite photos from end 2018 and end 2019, we know there are more than twice this number rolled out from factory.
img-a54492ee09f8fb079c9eefbcb3e254d6.jpg

posted on Huitong's Chinese Military Aviation.
Screenshot (2978).png

Yanlian airfield photo
00y1.jpg
00y3.jpg

Last edited:
no doubt the number is over 30 units

would love to see a line up !

What happened to the WS-20 engine that has been in flying tests since 2014?

Still testing I guess. Most of the new ones are using WS18, aka cloned D30s

Not exactly a good sign on the progress in Chinese engine technology.

If China needs so long to be able to bring a turbofan engine(with 1990s US tech) for a four engine plane into service, the omens do not look good I am afraid.

Not exactly a good sign on the progress in Chinese engine technology.

If China needs so long to be able to bring a turbofan engine(with 1990s US tech) for a four engine plane into service, the omens do not look good I am afraid.
I don't know the details mate, that's the penalty of starting from scratch and not having a 80 year old engine industry.

I don't know the details mate, that's the penalty of starting from scratch and not having a 80 year old engine industry.

To be honest I thought back in 2014 all new build Y-20s from say 2018 will be equipped with the WS-20 engine which is only 1990s level US tech but without the lifetime and reliability of the US engine that is on the C-17.

The fact that it is still not ready again highlights just how far behind China is compared to the US in engine tech.

Saying this the US/UK are in a class of their own when it comes to engine tech. Others like the French and the Russians are 1-2 decades behind them. China is a little behind than even the Russians now, although I think that sometime towards the latter part of this decade the Chinese should reach Russian levels of engine tech.

Hopefully this specific example should drill some realism into pdf Chinese posters that China is still many decades behind the West in some aspects of critical technology.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom