What's new

Xinjiang Province: News & Discussions

Put a bullet in those jihadists and send them on fast track to hell.

(Reuters) - Chinese police are looking for two suspects from its restive Xinjiang region in connection with a "major incident", after five people were killed when a vehicle ploughed into pedestrians and caught fire in Beijing's Tiananmen Square.

At least 38 people were injured in the incident, but there has been no official word whether it was an accident or an attack.

However, on Monday night, hours after the fire, Beijing police issued a notice asking local hotels about suspicious guests who had checked in since Oct 1 and named two suspects it said were from Xinjiang. Four hotels told Reuters they had received the notice.

Judging by their names, the suspects appeared to be ethnic Uighurs, who are Turkic-speaking Muslims from Xinjiang, a province in the far west of China. Many Uighurs chafe at Chinese controls on their culture and religion.

"To prevent the suspected persons and vehicles from committing further crimes ... please notify law enforcement of any discovery of clues regarding these suspects and the vehicles," said the notice, which was widely circulated on Chinese microblogs.

The notice also listed four vehicle licence plates from Xinjiang.

Beijing police, contacted by telephone, declined to comment.

Calls to the Xinjiang government went unanswered.

The Beijing police said on Monday on their official microblog only that they were investigating the accident, and did not say if they thought it was an attack.

Police said on Monday that the sports utility vehicle veered off the road at the north of the square, a major tourist attraction, crossed the barriers and caught fire almost directly in front of the main entrance of the Forbidden City, in front of a huge portrait of the founder of Communist China, Mao Zedong.

Tiananmen Square was the site of huge pro-democracy protests in 1989 that were brutally crushed by Chinese authorities, and remains one of China's most sensitive and well-guarded locations.

Pictures seen by Reuters showed that the vehicle appeared to have driven several hundred metres (feet) along the pedestrian pavement in front of the Forbidden City entrance before bursting into flames, knocking down people as it went.

BLACK SMOKE

One eyewitness, who asked not to be identified due to the incident's sensitive nature, said she saw the vehicle knock down three or four people, and that it had a white banner with black lettering on it streaming from the back.

"People started to panic, and all ran to hide in the toilet," she said. "Three or four minutes later I came out and could see black smoke, and the police had begun to clear people out."

While censors moved quickly to remove pictures of the incident from the popular Twitter-like service Sina Weibo, as often happens in stability-obsessed China, many images and accounts are still viewable a day after the event.

The three people in the vehicle died, as well as two tourists.

Beijing police stepped up checks on cars around the city in response to the incident, one police officer at a checkpoint on the border between Beijing and Hebei province told Reuters.

China has blamed Uighur separatists and religious extremists for a series of attacks over the years in Xinjiang, saying they want to establish an independent state called East Turkestan.

However, the unrest has never before spilled over into the nation's capital, despite speculation in 1997 that Uighurs were to blame for a Beijing bus bomb in which at least two died.

A state newspaper reported in July that the government suspected Syrian opposition forces were training extremists from Xinjiang to carry out attacks in China.

"They have been known to carry out attacks outside of Xinjiang," said Yang Shu, a terrorism expert at China's Lanzhou University.

"There have also been reports that East Turkestan elements have received training in Syria, so I would say the possibility does exist of a Xinjiang connection," he added.

The Beijing police notice said that one of the suspects was from Piqan, called Shanshan in Chinese, about 250 km (150 miles) southeast of Xinjiang's capital Urumqi, where at least 35 people died in clashes with the police in June.

China denies mistreating any of its minority groups, saying they are guaranteed wideranging religious and cultural freedoms.

Many rights groups say China has long overplayed the threat posed to justify its tough controls in energy-rich Xinjiang, which lies strategically on the borders of Central Asia, India and Pakistan.

http://uk.reuters.com/article/2013/10/29/uk-china-tiananmen-idUKBRE99S02T20131029

Yes, the jeep with XinJiang's vehicle licence, three Uighurs inside that car.

2013-10-28 China police's inspection notice to check 4x suspicious vehicles from XinJiang. One jeep had burnt at Tianamen, now BeiJing policemen r tracking the rest of suspicious vehicles.
159_25369_ae7378597bb3c58.jpg

159_249251_3d468b45ff76c10.jpg

Last edited:
Lets call a spade a spade here.

A random car doesn't just crash right in front of the portrait of Chairman Mao.

This is the work of Islamic terrorists.

No need to sugar coat it.

This is a major blow that shouldn't be taken lightly. I think it's about time China should get tough with them once again. Good luck China on crushing terrorists.

Peng Yong relieved as military commander after Islamic extremists blamed for 28 October attack in Tiananmen Square

A high-ranking military officer in western China was sacked days after a deadly attack in the heart of Beijing, suggesting that the incident may have rattled China's leadership enough to precipitate a political fallout.

On 28 October a white Mercedes-Benz sport-utility vehicle ploughed through a crowd in Tiananmen Square, crashed into a guardrail and exploded. The driver, his two passengers and two tourists died and 40 other people were injured.

General Peng Yong was removed from the Communist party standing committee in Xinjiang, the restive western region that was home to the driver, the state-run Xinjiang Daily said in a front-page article on Sunday.

He was replaced by Liu Lei, another high-ranking military official. The paper did not give explicit reasons for Peng's removal.

China's official newswire, Xinhua, called the crash a "carefully planned, organised and premeditated" attack and said authorities had arrested five suspects within hours. It identified the driver as Usmen Hasan, a 33-year-old ethnic Uighur from Xinjiang, and the passengers as his wife, Gulkiz Gini, and mother, Kuwanhan Reyim. It said that police found machetes and a flag showing "extreme religious content" in the vehicle's charred remains.

Xinjiang is a massive sprawl of desert, mountains and forests that borders eight countries including Pakistan, Afghanistan and India on China's westernmost frontier. It is home to nine million native Uighurs, a predominantly Muslim ethnic group which, according to advocacy groups, suffers from religious repression and economic marginalisation as the region is flooded by majority Han Chinese. Ethnic tensions occasionally flare into violence; in 2009 about 200 people died amid riots in the regional capital, Urumqi.

China has heightened security throughout Xinjiang since the attack, according to media reports. "Flights between Xinjiang and inland regions are currently under more stringent security checking," reported the state-run Global Times newspaper.

Citing local police, the BBC reported that security levels were raised and police were visiting "sensitive religious families". The Wall Street Journal reported that Hasan's home town, Lukqun, was in lockdown. Local authorities could not be reached for comment on Monday.

A raft of state media reports and editorials have cast the crash as an act of terrorism. Last week China's top security official, Meng Jianzhu, blamed the attack on the East Turkestan Islamic Movement, a Xinjiang-based Islamic fundamentalist group with ostensible ties to al-Qaida. No group has claimed responsibility for the attack.

Advocacy groups have disputed the official version of events, claiming the group lacks the resources to carry out an effective terrorist attack. "If the Uighurs did it, I believe they did it out of desperation because there is no channel for the Uighur people to seek redress for any kind of injustice they had suffered under Chinese rule," Rebiya Kadeer, leader of the international advocacy group World Uighur Congress (WUC), told Reuters. The Chinese government considers the WUC a terrorist organisation.

Nicholas Bequelin, senior Asia researcher at Human Rights Watch, said: "We have to recognise there is a terrorism issue, and there is political violence in Xinjiang. But at the same time, it is true that China is instrumentalising this terrorising to suppress the Uighur people [and] deny them basic rights."

Bequelin said Chinese authorities were unwilling to admit that the centre of the terrorism threat lay within the country's borders. "If it's located inside of China, you have to ask yourself, is it because we have terrorists in Xinjiang? Which leads you to: why do these people have grievances? Which then opens up the whole issue of why Chinese policies are making Uighurs feel like strangers in their own land."

China replaces top general in Xinjiang after Beijing attack | World news | The Guardian

How convenient of the Chinese to find the easiest exit door - what does the general have to do with the attacks? The area is not even in his jurisdiction. Farce china!

Buck Stops Here - President Truman

Since you made the OP, you probably thought it was wrong to sack the general. If that is the general mentality of the Indians, it may explain by your country is not progressing as well as the other countries in your region. Nobody was held responsible. Nobody was dismissed for dereliction of duty, misconduct, corruption, disobeying orders.

Last edited:
I would be grateful if any educated Chinese member can reply me the postal address of General Peng Pong so that this golden letter of hope and opportunities from India can reach him.

Dear General Peng Pong,
I write this letter to you from India - the largest democracy in the world. And given the strong suspicion in my mind about your paranoid government obfuscating our existence from you as well as billions of gullible Chinese citizens all along, let me inform you that we are your neighbors. We buy a lot of cheap plastic junk from your country, and after some minor processing, ship it to our backyard, i.e. Pakistan, for some profit. You see, the reason I'm writing you all these trivial details is because we, as a country, are a stakeholder in your country's well-being. It pains our collective conscious to read about all these atrocities that your bully government commits on the hard-working and innocent citizens like you. I mean, the heartless commie functionaries didn't even consider twice your decorated career - that I am sure must have spanned at least a few decades battling invisible monsters on the great wall of China - before pulling the rug from under your feet. The injustice saddens us immensely.

But as they say - there is a silver lining to every cloud. Yes, you guessed it right - we, the tolerant republic of India, are proud to offer you exciting and unmatchable career opportunities in our country. We believe that the deep experience and strategic acumen that you bring to the table cannot be overlooked. And to sweep away your trauma completely, we announce a 25 percent raise in your salary. And unlike your corrupt government that makes a sitting duck out of its respected generals every time a revolutionary group surfaces and strikes the incompetent establishment, you shall never encounter such a Kafkaesque absurdity in our graceful regime. To help you tilt your head completely to our proposal, let me add that your kids shall receive world-class education, boundless freedom, and democratic values in our liberal country. Now tell me - isn't that a reason to clap?

Please get in touch with our nearest embassy and the safety of your journey shall be taken care of.

Yours,
Chaman Lal

Last edited:
I would be grateful if any educated Chinese member can reply me the postal address of General Peng Pong so that this golden letter of hope and opportunities from India can reach him.

Please keep your dirty nose out of our business. BTW, when did the circus come to town?

Back
Top Bottom