214818igyccilns2zs50r6.jpg

233046lbilkjbjdfd7tgk7.jpg

Credit: sciencenet.cn

285-F.jpg

296-F.jpg

295-F.jpg

Credit:geolocationws

Desert land set to be reclaimed

Updated: 2013-03-21 01:48 By Cheng Yingqi ( China Daily)

chinadaily.com.cn

China's forestry authority plans to reclaim large areas of land over the next decade under a national desert-control plan.

Land desertification is the most important ecological problem in China. It causes erosion to the available space for people's existence and development, provokes natural disasters like sandstorms, and endangers agricultural production by degrading the land, Zhang Yongli, deputy director of the State Forestry Administration, said at a news conference on Wednesday.

The national plan for preventing and controlling desertification was published by seven government departments, including the State Forestry Administration, the Ministry of Environmental Protection and the Ministry of Agriculture.

According to statistics released on the website of the Ministry of Land and Resources, China is one of the most serious desertification zones in the world, with 2.62 million square kilometers of land, or 27.4 percent of the country's area, desertified, affecting almost 400 million people.

The plan, however, sets the goal of recovering more than 50 percent of reclaimable desertified land by 2020.

We will carry out this plan in two phases: the first phase is from 2011 to 2015, and the second is from 2016 to 2020. In each phase, we will finish harnessing 10 million hectares of desertified land, Zhang said.

China's efforts to reclaim land has already achieved progress in reducing desertification, Zhang said.

For example, in the late 1990s, desertified regions were increasing 3,436 sq km yearly, while the total desertified regions are now decreasing 1,717 sq km per year on average, Zhang said.

Despite the achievements, China's desertification control efforts need to be more consistent, said Liu Tuo, head of the Desertification Control Center under the State Forestry Administration.

On Monday, People's Daily reported that 260 counties and cities in 12 southern provinces are currently suffering desertification, causing drinking water shortages.

Our new desertification control plan proposes measures to pull us through the challenges we are facing now, Liu said.

The measures include making clear the responsibilities for desertification control, and promoting new sand-control technologies.

Liu also said that public participation in desertification control is very important.

We should try to let more people know that desertification control can help them shake off poverty and bring them benefits, he said.

Desert oasis
Updated: 2013-06-13 09:06
By Wang Kaihao ( China Daily)

chinadaily.com.cn

180373d2873013230d9035.jpg

Wetlands spread like a green belt along the Yellow River, making Wuhai a colorful haven in the depth of the Gobi Desert.

Most tourists to the Inner Mongolia autonomous region seek out the famous grasslands, but Wang Kaihao finds a kaleidoscope of colors in Wuhai.

Seeing the Gobi Desert from the window of an airplane does not give the best first impression, so it is a relief to see a green belt spread along the Yellow River. Wuhai, here I am. From above, Wuhai looks tiny. A speck in the vast 1.18 million sq km spread of the Inner Mongolia autonomous region. With an area of about 2,000 sq km and a population slightly over half a million — less than a single major residential area in Beijing — tourists usually skip Wuhai in favor of Inner Mongolia's famous grasslands.

However, I am unexpectedly overjoyed to find a kaleidoscope of colors in this tiny spot in the west of the autonomous region.

Wuhai boasts a rich coal reserve. Although some pioneers began to dig coal in 1864, large-scale exploitation only began in the 1950s, attracting people from all over the country to settle down.

Wuhai Coal Museum, designed in the shape of a lump of coal, gives a fascinating history of how this mining hub became a city.

It is also a perfect place for me to refresh my high school chemistry.

The city's name is a combination of Wuda and Haibowan, two major mining districts. By pure coincidence, the literal meaning of Wuhai is “sea of black gold” in Chinese. It is a nickname locals are proud of.

Wuhai does not have rich Mongolian traditions like other places in the region. There are only about 20,000 people from the Mongolian ethnic group living here.

Nevertheless, I still spot a museum exhibiting nearly 1,000 pieces of traditional Mongolian furniture and domestic decorations. These delicately painted items reflect Mongolian beliefs and traditions.

I also find a 30-square-meter image of Genghis Khan, which claims to be one of the world's largest hand-knotted woolen tapestries.

A green change in desert

Updated: 2012-08-22 20:51 ( chinadaily.com.cn)

chinadaily.com.cn

d4bed9d4d220119f188812.jpg

d4bed9d4d220119f188711.jpg

A former inhabited site is covered by green plants in Luoshan National Nature Reserve in Northwest China's Ningxia Hui autonomous region on Aug 22, 2012. As a result of ecological migration of former inhabitants, the ecological condition in the reserve has experienced a 13-year-long recovery, transferring a desert into a green land. During this period, the number of species in the reserve has grown from 295 in 2000 to 366 today, with the protected area expanding from 7,200 hectares to 33,710 hectares. [Photo/Xinhua]

d4bed9d4d220119f188813.jpg

A former inhabited site is covered by green plants in Luoshan National Nature Reserve in Northwest China's Ningxia Hui autonomous region on Aug 22, 2012. [Photo/Xinhua]

d4bed9d4d220119f188914.jpg

d4bed9d4d220119f188610.jpg

Green plants are seen in a former desert in Luoshan National Nature Reserve in Northwest China's Ningxia Hui autonomous region, Aug 22, 2012. [Photo/Xinhua]

Pushed out by the desert

Updated: 2013-02-28 08:01
By Mu Qian ( China Daily)

f04da2db11221298ec781d.jpg

Clockwise from left: A family in Tongxin county waits for their turn to be resettled. Ma Jinxue at his new home in Tongxing village. Tongxing residents play basketball in the new resettlement village. Drought-plagued Ningxia is one of the most impoverished regions in China. Photos by Mu Qian / China Daily

The lack of water in one of China's poorest regions has prompted a massive resettlement in the Northwest. Mu Qian reports.

Ma Jinhai, a 44-year-old farmer from Ningxia Hui autonomous region, says his recent resettlement has brought his family "from the Stone Age to the 21st century".

Although Ma's new home is just some 200 km from his old abode in Tongxin, a county in drought-plagued southern-central Ningxia, his family now enjoys tap water, convenient transportation and easy access to schooling, all of which were denied to them at their old mountainside home.

Electricity arrived a few years ago in Jiefang Xinzhuang village, where they lived. Ma's mother, who passed away 10 years ago, had never used electricity.

The biggest problem southern-central Ningxia faces is the severe shortage of water. The area's annual precipitation is between 200 to 650 mm, while annual evaporation amounts to 1,000 to 2,400 mm.

"Water was more expensive than oil in where we lived," Ma says. "Our life depended on heaven. If heaven sent some rain, we could grow crops. If not, we couldn't."

Southern-central Ningxia, more popularly known as the Xihaigu area, is composed of desertified soil and loess hills. Many years of opening new land to cultivation has exhausted the growing capacity of the natural environment and caused serious damage to vegetation. In 1972, Xihaigu was listed as one of the world's most uninhabitable zones by the United Nations World Food Programme.

Local people use cellars to store rain and snowmelt for their livelihood. When water in the cellar runs out, they have to buy water transported from other areas, which could cost 100 yuan ($16) or more per cubic meter.

Many place names in the area refer to the situation. For example, Hanjiaoshui, a township in Zhongning county, literally means "crying for water". The lack of water makes Xihaigu one of the most impoverished regions in China.

Xihaigu is also China's largest settlement of the Hui Muslim ethnic group. Ancestors of many of today's inhabitants moved here in the Qing Dynasty (1644-1911) after failed Muslim rebellions.

Since 2011, 120,000 people from the arid mountains in southern-central Ningxia have resettled in areas with better environments. Ningxia's government plans to resettle 350,000 people during the 12th Five-Year Plan (2011-15).

So far, 76 resettlement areas have been built for these "ecological immigrants". Tongxing village in Qingtongxia, where Ma lives, is one such location. In April 2012, farmers from three remote villages in Tongxin moved here.

Ma Jinxue, a 40-year-old who relocated to Tongxing, says the resettlement makes life much easier for his family. He doesn't have to toil as a migrant worker far from home to earn the family's living as he did in the past because he has a job at Qingtongxia Aluminium Co, which is just 20 minutes away by bike.

Middle school students from the village also go to classes near the company. In their old villages, they had to walk for hours on mountainous roads. Ma Jinhai's 3-year-old grandson is now in kindergarten, which would have been unthinkable in his old village.

However, with the resettlement comes a new lifestyle, which takes an adjustment.

In the past, although the environment made farming difficult, the farmers enjoyed an easier pace of life. When there was rain, the harvest could feed them for several years.

In Tongxing, every immigrant is allocated one mu (0.07 hectare) of land, which is collectively managed by a company to plant grapes suited to the sandy soil. Apart from collecting rents on their lands, the farmers earn daily salaries by working in the fields as casual laborers.

"In the past, we felt no pressure as there was little to spend, but now we have to buy our food," Ma Jinhai says.

Living spaces are also considerably smaller. Ma Jinxue's old home consisted of five courtyards, but now he lives with his wife and two of their three children in a standard 54-square-meter apartment the government built for every resettled household.

Urbanites might view the new apartment with washrooms as progress for the farmers, who used to answer the call of nature outdoors. But it is a problem for some immigrants, especially the elderly. Many can't bear the idea that the toilet is under the same roof as the kitchen.

Ma Xifeng, director of the Resettlement Office of Tongxin county, says he intends to propose a layout that would place toilets outside the apartments in the future to accord with immigrants' customs.

"Resettlement is a necessary measure for the betterment of people's lives and for the protection of the environment of Xihaigu, ," he says.

Every day, Ma Xifeng visits remote villages in the mountains to survey the families in Tongxin that are going to move. He knows most of the families well.

Ma Xifeng also writes a blog on www.66txw.com, the biggest website of Tongxin county. So far, he has posted more than 2 million Chinese characters about the resettlement of Tongxin inhabitants. Many would-be immigrants ask him about the resettlement, and he answers their questions online.

For people who have already moved to new homes, it is not easy to cut off their connections with their old dwellings. Many go back to visit relatives, and most return to sweep their ancestors' tombs.

For Ma Jinhai, the most important thing is to earn the family's living. He has opened a stall selling malatang - skewers of meat and vegetables cooked in spicy broth - but business is not good because few people in the village eat out. He is considering moving the stall to the city of Qingtongxia, some 30 km away.

"Although our old home is poor, I miss it because I lived there all my life," he says. "But now, the new life is more important. We are not going back."

Making the deserts bloom
Updated: 2013-07-30 11:19 By Wu Ni ( China Daily)

chinadaily.com.cn

00221910da6c1361758802.jpg

Yi Jiefang carries saplings in the greening project in the Inner Mongolia autonomous region

When Yi Jiefang's son was killed in a car accident, she thought her grief would overwhelm her. But the Shanghai native has found comfort in fulfilling her son's wish to help in the reforestation efforts in China's barren wastelands, finding herself becoming an unlikely environmental crusader. Wu Ni reports in Shanghai.

Yi Jiefang's world collapsed when her only son, Yang Ruizhe, 22, died in a road accident in Japan in 2000.

To work through her grief, the devastated mother decided to devote her life to fulfilling her son's last wish - planting trees in the desert.

Yi established the not-for-profit organization Greenlife in 2003, which has planted more than 1.1 million trees in deserts in northern China.

Earlier this year, at the age of 65, Yi started a new project - to plant 667 hectares of pine forest in Duolun county in the Inner Mongolia autonomous region. The county, with 1,400 square km of desertification, is where many of the sandstorms that affect Beijing start, as it is only about 400 km from the capital.

To make the desert green was my son's dream. To fulfill his dream is the meaning of my life, she says.

Yi's early life was a long way from the desert. A Shanghai native, she had a stable job and a happy family. But the enterprising woman with big career ambitions moved to Japan by herself at age 38 to study.

Her husband and son joined her in the following years. The couple started a private Chinese medical clinic and the son, a diligent and excellent student, was admitted to the Chuo University in Tokyo.

Life was perfect, until the sudden death of her son. In the depths of her despair, Yi recalled that two weeks before his death, her son said he wanted to return to China to plant trees after graduating from university.

Ruizhe was concerned about the environment. He often rode his motorbike to the mountain and described to me what beautiful sceneries he had seen, she recalls, tears welling up her eyes.

His last words are deeply engraved in my mind. I sometimes even felt it might be God's will that I should go back to my country to plant trees, she says.

Her son's wish gave Yi the strength to rebuild her life. After living in Japan for 18 years, Yi sold the clinic and returned to Shanghai with her husband. They devoted all their savings, Ruizhe's life insurance payout and donations from friends, to the Greenlife project.

After her first field trip to the deserts of northern China, Yi chose the Tamin Chagan desert, nicknamed "the sea of death" in Hure Banner at Tongliao city in Inner Mongolia.

00221910da6c136175a403.jpg

Sand is everywhere, she says of her first impression of the county. "Even when I lay in bed, I could catch a handful of sand trickling through my fingers."

But the worse thing was the toilet. "The excrement was dried and piled up in the pits," she says. "That's understandable - who would waste water flushing the toilet when you barely have enough water to drink?"

However, 60 years ago, the county had lush grassland and plenty of water. Unrestrained deforestation turned the land barren and it was gradually eroded by desert.

00221910da6c1361777322.jpg

Yi's project was to spend 10 years planting 1.1 million trees on the 10,000 mu (667 hectares) of sandy soil, equal to about 960 football fields. Local villagers were hired to plant trees and protect the saplings. After the trees have grown for 20 years, they will donate the trees to the villagers.

Yi has also planted many trees herself. The elegant city woman who used to bathe twice a day and always have fresh flowers in her home, now spends much of her time in the desert, often in sandstorms and battling extreme temperatures.

Zhang Haitao, a young musician in Beijing, became a Greenlife volunteer in 2011. "First it was Yi's story that touched me. When I actually went to the desert, I learned much about environmental protection from her, which I did not care about before."

Yi says dramatic changes have occurred in Hure Banner.

Some of its sandy soil has turned back into grassland. Villagers can grow watermelons on it. And the local river used to be dry to the bottom, now it has fish to catch.

Determined to recreate the miracle in other deserts, Yi started her second project in Dengkou county in western Inner Mongolia, aiming to plant 667 hectares of sacsaoul trees in the Ulan Buh desert. They have so far planted 133 hectares, with a survival rate of over 85 percent.

The success has brought her numerous honors. At Greenlife's headquarters in Shanghai's Hongkou district, a large glass cabinet showcases dozens of honor certificates she has won, such as the Seventh China Charity Award in 2012, Outstanding Female Role Models in 2011 and National Afforestation Medal in 2010, to name just a few.

All the honors, however, do not really matter to her, Yi says, but they are important for Greenlife because the fame can help the organization attract more donations.

Climate change, growing population and economic development are the main causes of land degradation, making China one of the countries most seriously affected by land degradation in the world

Some 400 million Chinese people's livelihoods are affected by desertification, which affects up to 27.46 percent of the total land area, says Sun Zhagen, deputy chief of the Chinese Forestry Administration in a forum in May.

Just take away all this fame or fortune, and give my son back to me, that's all I would ask, Yi says, "but reality is so cruel. My son won't be back. Devoting myself to the plantation gave me some psychological comfort - had my son seen the forests, he would have felt happy."

Xi Yanling, 60, from Beijing, also lost a child and has found comfort working for Greenlife. Xi's daughter, who also loved nature, died of cancer when she was in university. The grieving mother found planting trees a good way to work through her sorrow.

She joined Greenlife in 2010 and became a core member of the group.

When we lost our children, besides sadness, we felt lost because our love did not have a focus. By planting trees and improving environment, we feel our love is extended as it is for all children's benefit. In this sense, I think Yi is a great mother, Xi says.

For Yi and Xi, the most valuable legacy for their children is planting trees.

In China, parents save money for their children. They buy big houses and luxury cars for them. But ultimately, it is the good environment, the clean air and safe water that will improve their lives, Yi says.

Scientists make land arable again

Updated: 2013-09-16 01:53 By Cheng Yingqi ( China Daily)

chinadaily.com.cn

f04da2da78cd13a0c9a606.jpg

The 562-kilometer road connecting Urumqi and Hotan, which once was plagued by problems caused by the sand, now has desert plants as protection. The spread of sand in Xinjiang stops, and a major road to Urumqi is saved

For 2,000 years, people have battled the relentless wind and sand of the unforgiving Taklimakan Desert.

Ancient civilizations along the Silk Road were swept aside, leaving traces of their existence only in the remains of temples and frescos.

Qira county in the southwest of the Xinjiang Uygur autonomous region is one of the most severely hit regions.

Without scientific methods to combat desertification, the march of the sands of time would have continued.

But scientists have found an oasis of triumph after three decades.

The Qira research station of the Chinese Academy of Sciences was established in 1983. With the help of the scientists from the station, a transitional zone was established, and gradually the sand was pushed back more than 5 kilometers.

Jappar Mashrap, 49, lives in Qira and has witnessed the change and benefited from the work of the scientists.

Mashrap’s endangered home was on the fringe of the desert and the family had to move in the late 1960s as the sand crept closer.

But thanks to the work of the scientists, the desert’s march was stopped and Mashrap has a home again.

Now on Children’s Day, people often take their children to the amusement park, but things were quite different when I was a boy, Mashrap said.

"In those days, to celebrate festivals, my parents had to take me a long way to find grass where we could play.’’

The sand also threatened a major road running through on the north-south axis of the Taklimakan Desert.

The 562-kilometer road, completed in 1995, shortens the route between Urumqi and Hotan by 500 km. But it had been plagued by problems caused by the sand.

Xu Xinwen, director of the station, and his team devoted much of their efforts to securing the road.

Sometimes the sand on the road piles up a few meters high,"" Xu said. Various methods were tried, including fencing and barriers, but each had a drawback."

The most effective barrier for sand is greening, Xu said.

d4bed9d4d22013a0a5ac05.jpg

Since 2003, 20 million drought-enduring plants, including (clockwise from top left) Echinops sphaerocephalus, Poacyngrn hendersonii and Calligonum rubicundum, have been planted along the road. Photos by Hou Yiguo / for Chind Daily

However, in a desert that has annual precipitation of just 10 millimeters, "planting a tree and nurturing it to full growth is even more difficult than raising a child", Xu said.

Xu found seeds and plants that can survive in the bitter salt water under the sand, such as Chinese tamarisk, calligonum and Haloxylon ammodendron.

Since 2003, 20 million drought-enduring plants have been planted along the road, forming a 72-to 78- meter green belt.

The plants are irrigated by underground water pumped up 114 water wells. Compared to the cost of maintaining fences and barriers, irrigating the plants save some 30 million yuan ($4.9 million) every year.

The discoveries and applications of the desert plants is a lengthy process, according to Guan Kaiyun, director of the Turpan Eremophytes Botanic Garden.

Our researchers working in the stations find the plants and seeds, and we are in charge of plant introduction and acclimatization, which sometimes takes more than a decade to finish, Guan said.

In the parched Turpan Basin sits the world’s only botanic garden of Asian desert flora. When a new plant is found, the samples are usually taken back to the garden, where scientists find ways to help the plants adapt to the new environment.

Spending four decades introducing and preserving desert plants, the botanic garden now has 700 different species, 50 of them endangered. Estimates put the number of plant species in the desert at about 5,000.

The plants also provide scientists with research opportunities.

One example Guan gives is Ammopiptanthus nanus, an endangered evergreen shrub in Xinjiang on which scientists recently extracted a protein that can combat deep cold.

That protein explains the reason that Ammopiptanthus nanus survives the extreme low temperatures. And it’s worth further study because we might use it in genetically modified techniques in the future, Guan said.

Tian Changyan, deputy director of the Xinjiang Institute of Ecology and Geography, has devoted 10 years to finding the perfect plants that could improve the saline-alkali soil.

Chinese government has done a great favor to its people and to the world by this program. Together with their one-child policy, they have hugely reduced the world's burden. Otherwise, our planet will suffer more.

Back
Top Bottom