What's new

WWW Syria presidential election

Who do you think will win?

• Total voters
he deserves to be president, he was on the brink to end just like Qaddafi. And unlike Qaddafi he withstand turkey, saudi arabia and the west who all pumped his country with foreign fighters and he still succeed. He deserves a noble peace price, a true underdog inspiration

he deserves to be president, he was on the brink to end just like Qaddafi. And unlike Qaddafi he withstand turkey, saudi arabia and the west who all pumped his country with foreign fighters and he still succeed. He deserves a noble peace price, a true underdog inspiration

To be fair, there are plenty of Iraqi and Lebanese and Iranian fighters in Syria fighting on the side of the government. Gaddafi was killed by NATO, not by rebels.

To be fair, there are plenty of Iraqi and Lebanese and Iranian fighters in Syria fighting on the side of the government. Gaddafi was killed by NATO, not by rebels.

Qaddafi made the wrong allies

Gaddafi made the mistake of choosing Nato as it's ally .

Syrian refugees vote today. Would an exit poll be available?

I don't see that much difference in this election and the one you take part in the US . Do you ?
I assume you must be joking, yes?

Past Syrian Presidential "elections", (Syria's word for them, not mine.):

2007 (referendum) Assad (Baath)-97% of the vote.
2000 election Assad (Baath)-99.7%
1999 election (Hafez al-Assad; Baath)-100% of the vote.
1991 election Assad (Baath)-100% again
1985 election Assad (Baath)-100% again
1978 election Assad (Baath)-99.9% again
1971 election Assad (Baath)-99.2% and again

USA Presidential elections:

2012 Obama (D)-51.1% Romney (R)-47.2%
2008 Obama (D)-52.9% McCain (R)-45.7%
2004 Bush (R)-48.3 Kerry (D)-50.7%
2000 Bush (R)-47.9% Gore (D)-48.4% (Closest presidential election in U.S. history. Bush won electoral college vote.)
1996 Clinton (D)-49.2% Dole (R)-40.7% Perot (Ref.)-8.4%
1992 Clinton (D)-43% GHW Bush (R)-37.5% Perot (Ref.)-18.9%
1988 Bush (R)-53.4% Dukakis (D)-45.7%
1984 Reagan (R)-58.8% Mondale (D)-40.6%
1980 Reagan (R)-50.8% Carter (D)-41.0% Anderson (I)-6.6%
1976 Carter (D)-50.1% Ford (R)-48.0%

See the difference now? ;)

2000 Bush (R)-47.9% Gore (D)-48.4% (Closest presidential election in U.S. history. Bush won electoral college vote.)

Bad analogy. This is Syria's first presidential election. Because there are 3 candidates, Assad would be lucky to get over 60% of votes.

Bad analogy. This is Syria's first presidential election. Because there are 3 candidates, Assad would be lucky to get over 60% of votes.
Bad defence. You mean in the 43 years since the Assad family have been in power in Syria....not one other person or party decided to run against them? Come on! You know and I know that the reason for all those 97-100% votes is because in answer to the original comment I replied to, Syria's presidential elections, (And again, that is what Syria officially calls them!), are nothing but a sham, a rubber stamp of what has been a ruthless family dictatorship. They were not contested, because contesting the power of the Assads can get you very quickly....dead.

Bad defence. You mean in the 43 years since the Assad family have been in power in Syria....not one other person or party decided to run against them? Come on! You know and I know that the reason for all those 97-100% votes is because in answer to your original comment, Syria's presidential elections, (And again, that is what Syria officially calls them!), are nothing but a sham, a rubber stamp of what has been a ruthless family dictatorship. They were not contested, because contesting the power of the Assads can get you very quickly....dead.

The Syrian constitution never has election until now. Of course, that is a flaw. Even Iran has elections like the US does. Better late than never. The Syrian constitution was amended in February 2012 to incorporate elections and term limit following a nation wide referendum after the people took to the streets and demanded change.

Syrian constitutional referendum, 2012 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It is true that Bashar cannot have more than 2 terms starting from this election. However, that does not mean other members of the Assad family cannot run for president in future elections.

The Syrian constitution never has election until now.
Then someone forgot to inform the Syrian government for the last 43 years, because they officially call them "presidential elections".

Even Iran has elections like the US does.
Not by a long shot. Iran's real leader, even according to their constitutional definition, is the very unelected by, and unaccountable to, the people: Supreme Leader of the Islamic Republic. Further, "only candidates and parties that do not oppose the religious system of the governance (Velayate faqih) can participate in elections in the Islamic Republic of Iran. This is enforced by the clerical Guardian Council which vets candidates."

It's nothing at all like a real democracy s.

Then someone forgot to inform the Syrian government for the last 43 years, because they officially call them "presidential elections".

Misnomer. They are referenda, not elections. Syrian government does make mistakes :mad:

This is what the Syrian election looks like in Lebanon

Not by a long shot. Iran's real leader, even according to their constitutional definition, is the very unelected by, and unaccountable to, the people: The Supreme Leader of the Islamic Republic. Further, "only candidates and parties that do not oppose the religious system of the governance (Velayate faqih) can participate in elections in the Islamic Republic of Iran. This is enforced by the clerical Guardian Council which vets candidates."

It's nothing at all like a real democracy.

Likewise, in the US, it's powerful oligarchs like defense industry CEOs, auto industry CEOs, oil and gas industry CEOs, Rothschilds, Kochs who call the shots. The president is only the mouthpiece of oligarchs. After all, only the candidate backed by oligarchs can win election :bounce:

Last edited:

No , No .

You didn't get my point .

In Syria there is one party ruling the country and in the US there are 2 .

The only difference is that , In Syria people don't have a chance to see another one in power and their government is called dictator but in the US , people have to choose 1 out of 2 parties and they usually vote one to get ride of the other and this cycle has continued for decades but the country is called the symbol of liberty .

Back
Top Bottom