What's new

Would you take the kids on holiday to Pakistan?

Pakistan is not a holiday - its a stressful experience with a hostile environment in terms of ground transportation, diseases, lack of reliable infrastructure and crime unless you confine yourself to certain posh sectors in Islamabad or Lahore.
All other cities are essentially a warzone which your senses have already enough ptsd of from childhood.
Then there are family political considerations and so on.

The saving grace is the food you love and it’s generally halal nature unless someone is serving donkey or dog as mutton - on top of which is the guaranteed destruction of your stomach lining through the various viral gastric infections and lack of hygiene in many commercial kitchens.

However, it is a rite of passage for any children of expats for them to become truly toughened human beings that can stand comfortably in a warzone and still not be fazed

Having the "right" local connections makes all the difference.

I don't think Pakistan exactly comes into mind when people think of tourist destinations. It's one of those places only adventurers or extreme tourists would want to go, there isn't much to do in Pakistan in terms of activities for your average tourist.

I am surprised by the negative views here. I thought tourism was on the uptick in Pakistan.

I am surprised by the negative views here. I thought tourism was on the uptick in Pakistan.

I think the negativity is linked to the ousting of PMIK.

It might be hard for Indians to understand, but for most Pakistani people, especially those with their head screwed on, Sharif/Zardari clans are the enemy. Unless your from the few who are directly benefiting from their corruption, most Pakistani's hate them and what they've created in Pakistan. It's a country where we fear the police more than the robbers.

These corrupt crooks have come back in and straight away the harrassment at airports has returned, the national carrier is cancelling and overbooking flights again - all this BS before we step foot into Pakistan.

During the IK era we had hope that the man at the top, ultimately was not tolerant of this BS.

I'm still taking my kids to Pakistan, it's not that bad. You just need to be careful.

Last edited:
Chinese and Taiwanese are always welcome.

But for racist people from Europe and USA whose "governments" have wronged us, I don't know.

Its not easy and sort of risky to venture out to areas outside major cities.
We went to Thandiani in KP(2-3 hrs from isb), its on top of mountain. Guess what, u get to the top and there isn’t much facilities. Some private small tent-type restaurants setup by locals (no govt assistance or facility for tourism), risky to get up there via car, and when u finally get up there, u find there’s no water in the make-shift washrooms by small tuckshop type restaurants.
I paid 50rs just to use washroom which barely had water…..no soap. Used my hand sanitizer and wipes to clean hands…..so basically u get up there roam around in your own risk/time. No medical or other assistance.
Yet u see people going there….even with kids……

There is alot of beggars and others who stare at you and specially at women/girls all over in Pakistan…..even in expensive city malls the workers ogle at the women/girls like they doing xrays, no shame at all. The culture of staring at women is pretty obvious. Maybe not in northern areas.
It takes a lot of effort and guts to take family out in Pakistan. The lack of safety and lawlessness is what scares me…..anything can mess up your plans…..gotta be ready for anything here
Remember what happened in murree last winter in snow storm? Thats how this qaum eeally is…..jack up rates when they see families….and if they find out you’re an overseas Pakistani, they start crying about their suffering and try to fleece you even more.

Stop scaring me. I was planning to visit Pakistan especially Lahore.
Just be careful, have lots of cash, and maybe a local guide or friend who can guide u and ensure you don’t get ripped off. Local cabbies may be kind/honest with foreigners but with locals and overseas Pakistanis they are trying best to overcharge them, take advantage of them

Having the "right" local connections makes all the difference.
Not exactly - you can have all the connections you want but I dare you to sit on Shahra e faisal at 11pm and not have your sympathetic system dialed to maximum

Not exactly - you can have all the connections you want but I dare you to sit on Shahra e faisal at 11pm and not have your sympathetic system dialed to maximum

True, but sitting in a Landcruiser with several Vigos for security all around makes a wee bit of difference to the dial setting. :D

True, but sitting in a Landcruiser with several Vigos for security all around makes a wee bit of difference to the dial setting. :D
Been there done that - but you cannot always bother connections.
I may be fairly comfortable in America, but have no interest in wasting my own cash on a sunken ship just to feel utterly safe for 20 minutes.

I think the negativity is linked to the ousting of PMIK.

It might be hard for Indians to understand, but for most Pakistani people, especially those with their head screwed on, Sharif/Zardari clans are the enemy. Unless your from the few who are directly benefiting from their corruption, most Pakistani's hate them and what they've created in Pakistan. It's a country where we fear the police more than the robbers.

These corrupt crooks have come back in and straight away the harrassment at airports has returned, the national carrier is cancelling and overbooking flights again - all this BS before we step foot into Pakistan.

During the IK era we had hope that the man at the top, ultimately was not tolerant of this BS.

I'm still taking my kids to Pakistan, it's not that bad. You just need to be careful.
it is mostly indians (and a few afghanis) --who passed thru Pakistan on their way to amreeka or EU-- would and do comment negatively and there also now are some who follow the newage prophet and naqli imam mahdi namely moron khan.

they despise the army (and by extension Pakistan) for not declaring jehad on amreeka a la moolah omar and enabling the fornicator to rule the worldwide riasat e whateva.

Last edited:
he is my own kid how can i throw him in hell ????? even if he was kid of my enemy i will not take him to pakistan .

it is mostly indians (and a few afghanis) --who passed thru Pakistan on their way to amreeka or EU-
Indians passing through Pak-Iran illegally enroute to Europe are most likely less educated, from small towns in Punjab and hardly the types to eloquently publish their reviews on Pakistan as a tourist destination.

Indians passing through Pak-Iran illegally enroute to Europe are most likely less educated, from small towns in Punjab and hardly the types to eloquently publish their reviews on Pakistan as a tourist destination.
Ignore his rantings. He's butthurt that almost everyone in this forum is calling out the leadership of the armed forces for being an A-hole.

Back
Top Bottom