What's new

World Concerns Over Shariah in Swat

A.M., do you feel that merely retaining the right of appeal to the FSC is sufficient to prevent tyranny?

A.M., do you feel that merely retaining the right of appeal to the FSC is sufficient to prevent tyranny?

Its part of the solution - my earlier analogy, to US courts supporting segregationist policies and laws for example, until there was a social and intellectual shift towards recognizing how immoral and unethical such laws/policies were, applies in a way here as well.

There will be judges that will interpret in obscurantist way, and there will be judges that apply a more progressive interpretation.

"Section 8 of Nizam-i-Adle Regulations 1999 empowered a Qazi to decide a case under the Islamic law if both parties wished so."

So how is this supposed to deliver "speedy" Justice -- What criminal will want his or her case adjudicated under a Qazi courts only have jurisdiction if a defendant or respondent "wishes" to be a part of such?

Really seems to me to be a half baked idea.

AM

The suggestion that "evolution" of society wil sort this issue out is sheer escapism -- after all lets be mindful of how this system came to be accepted by the GoP - under threat, and lets not forget that ordinary citizens were subjected to incredible acts of brutality - that this is the genesis of this system, or rather the acceptance of it by GoP -- If "Evolution" is acceptable by force of arms, then we must accept that the Fauj has done a great disservice to Pakistan

Its part of the solution - my earlier analogy, to US courts supporting segregationist policies and laws for example, until there was a social and intellectual shift -
It is a good analogy, yet the decisive step at eliminating segregation was the intervention by federal troops to enforce the enrollment of "colored" students at "whites-only" high schools and universities. Will the Pakistani government retain that kind of power in SWAT, or not?

Last edited:
Is there no federal islamic court?

Why not have a system where anyone in pakistan can vote in a sharia style system in there area and vote in the qazi every election.

What really amazes me is that how ignorant Western People are.They somehow think Sharia law means extremist government which will sponsor terrorism and they think Pakistan will be taken over by the Talibans because of this shria law.On one hand they support democracy i am sure if people are asked in swat area to vote they will vote for Shria law..

What is "confusing" to westerners like myself is knowing what "sharia law" means. That is, we are told that various judicial systems (e.g. Saudi Arabia, Afghanistan pre-9/11, provinces of Nigeria, the Sudan) are "Sharia systems". Then, our media tell us about the most retrograde practices that are followed in these places, especially stoning to death of raped young women for adultery, or beheading someone for blasphemy, etc. So when we hear that Sharia Law will be implemented in SWAT, we don't know what that means via a vis the present j"secular" system of laws that governs the rest of Pakistan. Obviously, the prudent thing is to wait an see what it does mean. will peace be restored to SWAT? If so, that is great. Will girls be able to go to school equally to boys? If not, then has peace been purchased at too high a price? It is too early to tell, is the clear answer.

What is "confusing" to westerners like myself is knowing what "sharia law" means. That is, we are told that various judicial systems (e.g. Saudi Arabia, Afghanistan pre-9/11, provinces of Nigeria, the Sudan) are "Sharia systems". Then, our media tell us about the most retrograde practices that are followed in these places, especially stoning to death of raped young women for adultery, or beheading someone for blasphemy, etc. So when we hear that Sharia Law will be implemented in SWAT, we don't know what that means via a vis the present j"secular" system of laws that governs the rest of Pakistan. Obviously, the prudent thing is to wait an see what it does mean. will peace be restored to SWAT? If so, that is great. Will girls be able to go to school equally to boys? If not, then has peace been purchased at too high a price? It is too early to tell, is the clear answer.
Shria Law does not prohibit girls from education..

Shria Law does not prohibit girls from education..
That's just your opinion. What matters is that the guys with the guns who say they are imposing Shariah say it does. And in case anybody disobeys them, they'll be driven out or their girls will be defaced with acid. Is there any example of a Shariah-ruled area successfully prosecuting the perpetrators of such deeds? No? Then the behavior of the enforcers is permitted and what they forbid is de facto prohibited - even if there isn't a law against it.

Sufi wants Islamic rule worldwide
* TNSM chief says Islam forbids elections, democracy

Daily Times Monitor

LAHORE: Tehreek-e-Nifaz-e-Shariat Muhammadi (TNSM) chief Sufi Muhammad, who signed a controversial peace deal with the NWFP government on Monday, said he hated democracy and wanted supremacy of Islam over the entire world.

“From the very beginning, I have viewed democracy as a system imposed on us by the infidels. Islam does not allow democracy or elections,” he told Deutsche Presse-Agentur in an interview held a few days before the government accepted his demand of enforcing sharia in the region. “Had the government accepted our demands in 1994, we would have not seen the violence we are seeing today,” he added. Sufi Muhammad’s son-in-law, Mullah Fazlullah, has fostered the violence in the name of Islam.

Sufi Muhammad said he was against shedding the blood of Muslims, however, added the government should have talked to the Taliban instead of taking military action. He pledged to work for complete peace in Swat if the government enforces Islamic laws, a demand which has now been met.

“I believe the Taliban government formed a complete Islamic state, which was an ideal example for other Muslim countries. Had this government remained intact, it could have led to the establishment of similar Islamic governments in many other countries,” he said.

Let these comments be instructive to all those who think these kinds of ideas and people are open to "evolving", and that these people see Shariah as
anything other an instrument of totalitarian, Maoist, Tribal society -- Pol Pot and his Khmer Rouge come to mind.

NATO, UK show concern over Malakand deal

MINGORA: NATO and the UK warned on Tuesday that Pakistan risked creating a safe haven for the Taliban after it struck a deal to implement Sharia and suspend a military offensive in Swat. Criticism of the truce mounted as a hardline cleric dispatched by the government to convince the Taliban to stop fighting as part of the deal arrived in Mingora to a hero’s welcome. NATO says it has 55,000 troops across the border in Afghanistan, and many of them have come under attack by Taliban and Al Qaeda fighters believed to have sought refuge in pockets of Pakistan’s northwest. “It is certainly reason for concern,” NATO spokesman James Appathurai said in Brussels about the latest deal. Britain also weighed in with reservations. “Previous peace deals have not provided a comprehensive and long-term solution to Swat’s problems,” said a statement by the British High Commission in Islamabad. “We need to be confident that they will end violence ... not create space for further violence.” ap

Daily Times - Leading News Resource of Pakistan

What your media tells you is half picture.

I am not an expert on sharia and therefore shall not comment. However since you people are more obsessed with women's rights I shall only explain what sharia punishment is for adultery.

First case of adultery is where women and man have willing committed the crime. In this case both shall be punished NOT women only provided proof exists against them or one of them confesses.

In case the women become preganant due to this than her punishment shall be set a side till child is borne and is atleast 3.5 years old.

Second case of adultery is where a man committs crime against a women i.e. rapes her. In this case if witnesses exists than the man shall be punished not the women because she is the victim. Since this crime does not happen in open so what happens if there are not witnesses. Incase no witness exists than women shall have to swear that what she is saying in correct and the man shall be punished. This part has to some extent become easy since modern day medical practices have progressed to a stage where this cliam can be verified.

As I said I am not an expert so if I am wrong any one can correct me.

What stops Swat from becoming a safe haven for AQ & other similar minded outfits ?

If it does, whose law will apply GOP or Sharia ? What if the interpreters of sharia feel that providing support & succor to the terrorist orgisations is correct as per Islamic law wherein the Ummah must be protected from ' western backed' forces / Govt in Islamabad ?

What is the mechanism in Pak to prevent this from spreading further ? what if other states / regions also want to go this way..is GOP redundant then ?

lastly, did Jinnah want it this way ?

Is this a case of selling family jewels to save the nation ?

These & similar Q's are irking the world.

OK I think its a pretty sensitive issue, and its best to leave out the patronizing/condescending remarks.

Because it's sensitive, it should be hammered in -- clear thinking will come only after the tough questions are dealt with.

This government will try and sell this one way or another, it sees this as yet another expediency, it hopes to ride this WOT stuff till the US can be bled for more $$.

The Fauj is being pickled for a all out with India, which curiously some imagine Pakistan and India will survive - and while it's true that there is much play left between no war and a all out war with india, there must first be a Pakistan, before the fauj can secure it against the Indian.

If Pakistan cannot be secured against a bunch of talib, you are telling us with a straight face that it can be secured against the Indian??

few Indian media claimed that Sharia rule is the same rule talibans had in afghan before the war. They are against the women education and freedom...???

Someone here explain how its good for pakistan other than temporary halt for the fight against the terror.

Is it something GOP and military loosing power?

Back
Top Bottom