Armstrong

RETIRED TTA
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Women: Pakistan’s second-class citizens

By Sabina Khan
Published: July 31, 2013

Women in Karak have been prohibited from leaving their homes without a mahram due to the reason that they spread vulgarity and distract men during the holy month. Perhaps, a better way of ensuring that these weak-willed men stay chaste would be for the primitives to blindfold themselves and stay in their homes. Evidently, women do not suffer from any such inclinations when they head out to the store to purchase groceries; it is only the men who become overwhelmed by uncontrollable urges. It makes perfect sense that they should also be the ones to take precautions.

The Constitution of Pakistan ensures equal rights for all, but women are still treated as second class citizens and their space is severely restricted in the rural areas each day. Malala Yousufzai was shot in the head for trying to pursue an education, rape victims are treated as adulterers and girls dancing in the rain in their own home are murdered because their video brought dishonour to their step-brother. Why is the honour of men so fragile and so easily undermined? Many women, who have had acid thrown on their faces, somehow find the will to carry on.

Over the years, we have allowed our values to be subverted by Middle Eastern culture, which is brought over from Pakistanis working in the region. While driving through Skardu last year, I saw several signs stating “dear sisters, hijab is our culture. Be considerate so that you are respected”. Hijab has never been a part of our culture; women who observe purdah have traditionally worn a chador. If women choose not to wear the hijab, niqab, burqa or chador, then that is their choice and should be respected.

The flawed logic of comparing women with diamonds does not make sense either. No, women are not just pretty things that need to be hidden away and protected. They are human beings who deserve an equal chance just like men to live a self-sufficient life. Society needs to understand that women are not asking to be raped if they step out of the house to go to university or work. Patriarchal societies condone oppression of women for childish reasons, such as the unwillingness to accept a proposal rejection and the possibility of living side by side with a successful independent wife instead of ruling over a subservient child-bearer.

In the long term, education is, of course, key to reversing the damage caused by religious charities in Pakistan funded by certain overseas countries. However, that remains an out of reach dream at the moment since Pakistan’s legislation is determined by a set of officials who themselves have fake degrees.

Despite numerous challenges, women have recently made strides in Pakistan. The first female jirga in Swat is a recent step in the right direction. Women have joined the Pakistan Army, Air Force and also climbed Mount Everest. Although the Burqa Avenger’s costume has received a mixed reaction, there is even a new female superhero on the scene to save girls’ education. However, this is just the beginning; ultimately, Pakistanis need to decide if they are going to be governed by the Constitution of Pakistan, which grants equal rights to everyone or by the will of illiterate clerics and whatever fantasy laws they whip up. If the government remains silent and no action is taken to correct this dysfunction, then there is a risk that ignorance will spread to less affected urban areas. Nothing is static. We’re either advancing as a nation or slowly devolving into intolerant subcultures. Having lived in Qatar and Saudi Arabia, my vision of a modern Pakistan does not include a man followed at four paces by his wives draped in black with nothing but a slit for their eyes. Pakistani women may be irresistible beauties, but they have contributions to offer to society, many are well-educated and it would be a loss for the nation to hide them away like second-rate citizens.

Published in The Express Tribune, July 31st, 2013.

SOURCE - Women: Pakistan

I'm sorry for whatever part I my have played, knowingly or unknowingly, in perpetuating a Second-Class Status for Our Women ! :ashamed:

On my part, hence forth, I will be more conscious of the rights of our women & ensure that they're protected - I promise !

Our women are the best in the world & they deserve so much better from us - the Pakistani Men ! :pakistan:

' @Secur @Talon @Hermione G @Marshmallow @Spring Onion @Developereo @ZYXW @DESERT FIGHTER @truthseer @Hyperion @474474 @RazPaK @mafiya @balixd @Argus Panoptes @ANTIBODY @Awesome @Aeronaut @chauvunist @Pak-one @TaimiKhan @Xeric @Leader @Abu Zolfiqar @xyxmt @Jungibaaz @darkinsky @pak-marine @notorious_eagle @HAIDER @Rafi @Ehsan @Jazzbot @LoveIcon @Farah Sohail @HRK @SHAMK9 @cb4 @Ghareeb_Da_Baal @niaz @S.U.R.B. @Peaceful Civilian @JonAsad @jaibi @A.Rafay @razgriz19 @Raja.Pakistani

Last edited by a moderator:
Agreed, Hijab should always be a choice, and not forced. To stop woman from going out without a Mahram is a backward step, from the Stone Ages. Before we go the way of our neighbors to the East, we must reverse this thread, lest we also become the Rape Capital of the World

Agreed, Hijab should always be a choice, and not forced. To stop woman from going out without a Mahram is a backward step, from the Stone Ages. Before we go the way of our neighbors to the East, we must reverse this thread, lest we also become the Rape Capital of the World
apparently even the tent is not working.. hence suggestion to stay home.... try spraying some offensive smelling sh*t before you venture out in your bad bad land...
yeah I know you are a boy... :yay:

I think people have no perspective and they start making unintelligible statements out of context, especially our friendly TROLLERS from India.

I am a big supporter women's rights but keep in mind it was some jirga in Karak KPK who made this demand that women should not leave home without a Mahrim.

Now this is not Karachi we are talking about. We are talking about Karak KPK. This is the most backward area of Pakistan.

A woman would not be caught dead in a market place in such an area.

Please keep in mind that there are NGO's who pay Pakistan Journalist and Newspapers good money to highlight such negative stories about Pakistan.

For those of you who don't have the foggiest idea where Karak is , we are fortunate enough that one of our members @Pak-one graciously posted pictures of Karak KPK couple of weeks ago so I will post that link.

In Post # 3 there is an old picture of Karak Bazaar. Please tell me why any sane woman will Dance and Prance around and " SPREAD VULGARITY " in that God Forsaken place at the risk to her LIFE and LIBERTY. I would certainly not let my Sister or Daughter to go there alone.

Here is the link:

http://www.defence.pk/forums/pakistan-tourism/266096-karak-khyber-pakhtunkhwa.html

Last edited by a moderator:
This patriarchal bullsh£$ must end, we elected a woman prime minister, and some of our people are still living in the dark ages, for fks sake women are not possessions and have the absolute right to life, liberty and to be happy.

apparently even the tent is not working.. hence suggestion to stay home.... try spraying some offensive smelling sh*t before you venture out in your bad bad land...
yeah I know you are a boy... :yay:

Oh great, Pakistan obsessed Indian trolls are making offensive remarks on Pakistanis. Great, join a Pakistani site and show your third rate mentality.

Post reported.

I think people have no perspective and they start making unintelligible statements out of context.

I am a big supporter women's rights but keep in mind it was some jirga in Karak KPK who made this demand that women should not leave home without a Mahrim.

Now this is not Karachi we are talking about. We are talking about Karak KPK. This is the most backward area of Pakistan.

A woman would not be caught dead in a market place in such an area.

Please keep in mind that there are NGO's who pay Pakistan Journalist and Newspapers good money to highlight such negative stories about Pakistan.

For those of you who don't have the foggiest idea where Karak is , we are fortunate enough that one of our members posted pictures of Karak KPK couple of weeks ago so I will post that link.

In Post # 3 there is an old picture of Karak Bazaar. Please tell me why any sane woman will Dance and Prance around in that God Forsaken place at the risk of her .

Here is the link:

http://www.defence.pk/forums/pakistan-tourism/266096-karak-khyber-pakhtunkhwa.html

A Jirga made this decision, but it is part of a trend that Zia ul Haq started.

You don't need to be in Karak to be made to feel like a second class citizen.

The men and women in Pakistan will re-inforce this every single day.

Our society cannot be changed and this is how it will remain. The only thing that can be done is to suffer in silence or leave this country.

There are areas in the USA where Women are treated as Second Class Citizens.

sir,there exists a universal partiality towards women,and practically saying i doubt if we can ever level that..

Our society cannot be changed and this is how it will remain. The only thing that can be done is to suffer in silence or leave this country.

i accept some partiality will always remain,we can only try and minimise it.. and looking at the condition of women in the sub continent,a huge scope for improvement exists.. and we have to work on that..

this problem is of whole subcontinent. Only way is for women to assert themselves, and demand equality. I know feminism is derided now, but we should have our own feminist movement. Inspite of its failings, it did wonder for western society.

this problem is of whole subcontinent. Only way is for women to assert themselves, and demand equality. I know feminism is derided now, but we should have our own feminist movement. Inspite of its failings, it did wonder for western society.

Sure, why not. Are you willing to organise and lead the protest?

Latest posts

Pakistan Defence Latest Posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom