What's new

Will Chinese Smartphones Surpass Established Brands in Sales?

Page 3 of 3

Portability
We measure the portability of a device by calculating its battery life to (weight x volume) ratio. Due to its average battery life, the Mi3 ranked second last in the Portability Index even though it is one of the slimmest and lightest phones.

xiaomi_mi3_review_portability_index_chart.jpg

Real World Battery Performance

But benchmarking gives only one view to the above assessment. To give you a more realistic understanding on how the Mi3 fared under real world usage conditions, we included screenshots of the usage and history graphs based on our usage.

xiaomi_mi3_review_battery_realworldstats_1.png
xiaomi_mi3_review_battery_realworldstats_2.png
xiaomi_mi3_review_battery_realworldstats_3.png

As seen from the graphs above, the Mi3 could last about 18 hours before the battery dipped below 20 per cent . Screen-on time is about 4 hours and 48 minutes. Some notes:

The device logged onto the 3G network because the Mi3 does not support 4G LTE connectivity and the SIM card used is a 3G SIM card. The device logged onto Wi-Fi connections from time to time. Our typical usage scenarios include making some voice calls, texting via WhatsApp, capturing some photos and sharing them on social networking sites, the occasional web browsing via Pulse News Reader and emailing.

Do note that battery mileage varies depending on your usage patterns. For us, the Mi3 had no problems lasting through a day at work with enough battery juice to last till we plugged in the charger at night.

Conclusion

So does the Xiaomi Mi3 has what it takes to take on the big boys? In our opinion, the Mi3 does pose a strong challenge to all other brands and their offerings. Although top devices from Samsung, Sony, LG and more have other premium features that justify their price - be it in the form of software functionality, hardware features, to waterproof design and others - the Xiaomi Mi3 offers great performance with all the required basic features and at a price point that's delectable. If you require even more out of your device, or just a more premium build, then you would have to look beyond the Xiaomi Mi3 and consider other top tier offerings.

Aside from its lack of 4G LTE connectivity, no memory card slot and average battery performance, the Mi3 is a great deal for consumers who want a smartphone with flagship specs without burning a hole in their pockets.

The Mi3 may not have the premium build and finish of some Android flagship smartphones, but at its price point, it doesn't need to. Its build quality is nonetheless solid and provides good handling. The 5-inch Full-HD display is comparable to the competition, although its screen brightness can be better.

MIUI OS remains the key differentiator for the Mi3; users have total control over how they want the interface to look and how the phone functions, and software updates are issued on a weekly or monthly basis. This is in stark contrast to the closed system approach of Apple and the OS fragmentation issues faced by other Android vendors.

The Mi3 (16GB) is available for purchase on Xiaomi's Singapore website tomorrow at 12 noon for S$419 (inclusive of GST and without line contract). At this price point, you would be hard pressed to find any compelling alternative in its category.

The US$349 LG Nexus 5 comes close, but you have to factor in additional costs such as shipping and the lack of warranty coverage. The Nexus 5 has speedy software updates and 4G LTE connectivity (for Japan, Australian and Hong Kong models) to its advantage though. Certain local retailers do carry stock of the phone and as seen here, for a S$550, you do get a phone of comparable performance, but it has 4G LTE support and wireless charging. However, the Nexus 5 doesn't have the ease of customisation that the MIUI offers on the Mi3 device. In our opinion, both devices offer equally good value and it depends what you require on your smartphone.

Another affordable 'flagship' model that you can consider is the Huawei Ascend P6, which boasts an ultra slim side profile of 6.18mm and has a full metal chassis. While its launch retail price is S$638, the street price is more affordable at S$489. Unfortunately, it loses out to the Mi3 on several performance aspects and it only has a 720p display. Other than its sleek and nice build with microSD support, the Xiaomi Mi3 offers a more compelling device - for less.

For those who are wondering whether Xiaomi Singapore will sell the 64GB model, it will not be available at launch. However, Hugo Barra did not rule of the possibility of bringing it in if there is sufficient demand.

Visit Hardware Zone for more stories.

Source: http://news.asiaone.com/news/digital1/first-batch-xiaomi-mi-3-smartphones-sold-out-singapore?page=0%2C3

Last edited:
I don't know anything about tinno but what companies like Q Mobile, blu, Wiko, Gionee(not sure about gionee)is they place order to some local Chinese mobile manufacturers and tell them the configuration or specifications they need and then the manufacturer manufactures the mobile as per said specifications. And then these re branding companies just box the product and accessories and sell them, it's just similar to those Chinese phones which previously used to make clowns of Nokia, Samsung etc. The only difference is that these companies now give you warranty and customer care service, for example if you check some devices of these companies you'll find that some of them are the same just the name is different probably they order from same manufacturer sometimes. Micromax which is an Indian company also used to do the same thing previously but last year they said that they are setting up a plant in India itself and they'll start assembling their devices here in India themselves. And I guess other companies will follow the same suit.
In case of Wiko, the stituation is totally different. Chinese unknown phone maker Tinno is actually the majority shareholder of Wiko, which they brought in 2012.

» Wiko the success of the Franco-Chinese mobileWorld Pop

It was the Christmas star gift. Smartphones have once again dominated the sales of technology assets in France. Among the models most often offered, a French brand, Wiko is out of the lot. This small company, which was still almost unknown last year, now tu giants Samsung and Apple. Its market share reached 18% in distribution, making it number three in France. Wiko has sold 2 million phones at the end of the year, four times more than at the end of 2012.

Wiko is not only to sniff the right move and position in this segment of entry-level smartphone. But the French, present in a single country, observed better than the other trends and adapt to quickly to the wishes of its customers. The Stairway, its best selling autumn, a false air of Samsung Galaxy S4 with the same screen size, a powerful processor and a good photo sensor. The Marseille has played on patriotic. Wiko is "a simple and obvious French brand, decided to make available to as many latest technologies. That is, the "French touch", "she proclaims on its website. Wiko quickly gaining credibility and sympathy capital to its customers.

It was at this period that the Chinese are heading to Europe. Armed with patents on dual SIM phones, he tries to take a position on the smartphone market 3G, more lucrative. Tinno Partners with manufacturers in Italy and Russia and created its first subsidiary in France. This will Wiko, which holds 95% stake via a Hong Kong-based holding: Mega Alliance Holdings Limited. The activity is rising in France by Laurent Dahan. This former telecom wholesaler owns the remaining 5% of the holding company.

French responsibility in the design of smartphones is reduced to the bare minimum. "We have a French business strategy, which takes into account the peculiarities of our market," says Virginie Barbier. Of the 65 employees in France, one third is occupied by the after-sales service. Wiko only four engineers. The remainder are allocated to marketing, communication and relationships with distributors. More than 500 people are involved in China R & D Tinno. Wiko sends a specification of the products they wish to develop, depending on what is "achievable". It also receives key models in hand, on which he can make some customizations, such as memory size or the color of the hull. The Wiko account peax 2 twins, joined by Tinno on behalf of the Italian and Russian NGM Fly

Last edited:
@shuttler, @Fattyacids, @Genesis, @Chinese-Dragon, @flist3773, @cirr, @Beidou2020, @TheTruth, @bolo, I had very high hopes on Lenovo. But their smartphones are incomparable to what Oppo and the rest has to offer. Oppo, builds phones like TANKS. I am thinking Xiaomi and Oppo can really foray into Samsung's share and even dethrone it.
Unless, Lenovo get their act together, it's gonna be Oppo and Xiaomi all the way.
Last but not the least, Huawei is doing pretty well too. Just need to get it's marketing strategy right. They really do have some top line phones, but they seem to be catering to the mid segment. Oppo's strategy is very simple, they had sent their best, top of the line phones to India and their packaging seems to appear like how jewelries are packed (As stated in one of the articles) Simply too good!!!
Somehow, I am being sold to Oppo. ;)

Here is why the Oppo N1 can shake up the premium phablet segment | The Indian Express

New chinese brands which are making waves world over are Oppo,Lenovo,Xiaomi,ZTE,Huawei.
Opps makes the world's first 50 MP camera phone.

It's a bit out of topic, but still about Made In China problem. Now see, when there was no Smartphone in this world, Nokia was one of the most famous Handphone brand in the world. Now, I bought some of this HP, while in other occassion, I bought a brandless (a phone without a brand) made in China. And it's funny that all my Nokia phone has been broken / out of service, while my brandless Chinese Phone still operational until now.

In other occasion, I have 2 air conditioners. One of them are Sharp Air Conditioner. (Sharp as Japanese Brand), while the other are Nexian, a Chinese product (a brand that I think has been vanished from this earth). I bought Nexian AC in 2003, while I bought Sharp AC in 2010. And guess what? My Nexian AC is still operational and good right now, while my Sharp AC has been broken and unrepairable a year ago. So what do you think?

The difference between Chinese products and Western ones is just that when your western products have the ability to talk, your Chinese products still use monitor and you must read it.

Hmmmm i am doubtful that i would ever buy a chinese smartphone.How long would these chinese smartphones survive??

Check your mobile now and you will find lot of Chinese parts in it, Even famous Iphone's is made in China

Check your mobile now and you will find lot of Chinese parts in it, Even famous Iphone's is made in China

I know my iPhone has Chinese parts.
But then the overall product is not Chinese so its still safe. :-)

Is not about Chinese technology but how much you are paying them. They have four quality of same product with different price and saw that in dragon mart (Dubai)

Is not about Chinese technology but how much you are paying them. They have four quality of same product with different price and saw that in dragon mart (Dubai)
I bought online :)
And I would never depend on dragon mart product....may be Axiom or sharaf DG.
And i buy cover etc from apple store only.

Can you please specify what part aren't Chinese. I'd be honored to know. Thanks in advance.

You're talking to one who is extremely biased and Anti-Chinese.

Hmmmm i am doubtful that i would ever buy a chinese smartphone.How long would these chinese smartphones survive??
The All Major Mobile phone flagship brands are manufacturing in china due to low income high tech workers, and some Chinese mobiles as Hauwei, ZTE are rising as best chines brands LENOVO a chinese company recent buyer of top U.S.A Brand 'motorola'

Back
Top Bottom