Wiki Loves Earth shortlists top 10 photos in Pakistan round

ghazi52

PDF THINK TANK: ANALYST
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Wiki Loves Earth shortlists top 10 photos in Pakistan round

SAQIB QAYYUM CHOUDHRY

You may remember the international photography competition Wiki Loves Earth from last year, in which a Pakistani photographer's capture of Shangrila Lake won the best international picture in 2015.

Wikimedia Foundation, the California-based non-profit organisation which runs Wikipedia, has organised the global photography competition again this year, and the best pictures from Pakistan to go onto compete at the international stage have been selected.

The competition, aimed at documenting the world’s natural heritage under the free license of Creative Commons, recently concluded in Pakistan after receiving an overwhelming response.

Over 1,200 contestants in Pakistan sent in over 8,000 photographs making it the country with the third-largest number of submissions and the greatest number of participants.

Wiki Loves Earth 2016 has seen more than 7,000 participants from 26 countries, with over 75,000 photographs submitted throughout the month of May.

The best thing about the competition is that all the photos have a free license and can be re-used for any purpose, as long as the user attributes the photographer.

The contest was first run in Ukraine in 2013 and has since spread globally.

It is described as the 'sister competition' to Wiki Loves Monuments, which is recognised by the Guinness Book of Records as the largest photography competition in the world.

Pakistan became a part of the competition for the first time last year and achieved the first position amongst 28 participating nations.

The international winners of Wiki Loves Earth 2016 are yet to be announced, but the top 10 pictures to represent Pakistan as decided by Pakistan’s jury are below:

5757fe8dbe3fd.jpg

Duiker Peak, Hunza. — Photo by Mudassir Ahmed

5757fec7c09c3.jpg

Nanga Parbat, Diamer. — Photo by M. Awais

5757fee94c46c.jpg

Phandar Valley, Ghizer. — Photo by Muzaffar H. Bukhari

5757ff301c3a2.jpg

Katpana Desert at Skardu. — Photo by RgyalChan Karim

5757ff4677a0e.jpg

Naran, Kaghan Valley. — Photo by Talha Hanif

5757ff626d13f.jpg

Chitral National Park. — Photo by Tahsin A Shah

5757ff7debd9c.jpg

Rama Lake, Astore. — Photo by Faiza Lalwani

5757ff9377f61.jpg

The Karakoram mountain range, Astore Valley. — Photo by Najeeb Mahmud

5757ffbb360e0.jpg

Siri Paye, Shogran, Kaghan Valley. — Photo by Adeel ur Rehman Mughal

5757ffd1f11a3.jpg

The Karakoram mountain range, Hunza Valley. — Photo by Irfan Tahir

Ahhh...!! They make me to suspire..Most beautiful of them is Dia-Mir..I personify it and then it asks me to come and hug her.
I have seen most of them except Phander valley, Duiker peak, Katana Desert and Chitral national park. Now I update my list of sites to visit in Pakistan... In-shaa-Allah on next trip to Pakistan I will but my best friend has left for Brazil so I need to plan alone or ask anyone to join me :)
In Ramma there was a very nice PTDC motel and it used to open on May 1st...such a serene and dreamy place...I rate it above the Yellow Stone National Park.

I have seen most of them except Phander valley, Duiker peak, Katana Desert and Chitral national park. Now I update my list of sites to visit in Pakistan... In-shaa-Allah on next trip to Pakistan I will but my best friend has left for Brazil so I need to plan alone or ask anyone to join me :)
In Ramma there was a very nice PTDC motel and it used to open on May 1st...such a serene and dreamy place...I rate it above the Yellow Stone National Park.
I consider you a lucky man. These are really beautiful places. I will be visiting Pakistan in Dec this year to attend the wedding of a friend. I wish to join you if you happen to visit Pakistan at the same time. :):)

Awesome.. can anyone suggest which one should i use as a desktop wallpaper?

finally find a balti guy with a balti name
rgyalchan karim
the one who took the skardu katpana pic
rgyalchan is a balti name

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom