What's new

‘Poor tourism infrastructure obstacle to tourism in KSA for now’

When we going to visit Bani Yam...lolzzzz.....That all need to preserve for coming generation. Land is so rich for tourism.

When we going to visit Bani Yam...lolzzzz.....That all need to preserve for coming generation. Land is so rich for tourism.

LOL. Did you see the presents they gave him? Worth at least 100.000 dollars. It is absurd. I think they felt guilty because such a horrible thing happened to him in KSA.

I have never been to Najran so I do not know the area. Only from stories, photos and history. I hope to visit the city and province one day.

Nodoubt extremely generous....no question about that.

Yes. Did you read my post number 10 in this thread? I think that I answered all of your questions there.
You pretty much sum up the situation . But I would love to hear what the locals historian say about history of particular region.

You pretty much sum up the situation . But I would love to hear what the locals historian say about history of particular region.

You are welcome. Well, that would mostly be in Arabic so that is a problem for you.

Najran
Najran is a seat of history and civilization that holds a rich and enduring historical diversity. Najran city is the administrative center of Najran Province, where historical buildings, scenic nature, nature reserves, theme parks, gardens and traditional souks (markets) create a wonderful and attractive diversity.

A short break or a weekend provides the perfect opportunity to discover Najran. While there, you can participate in its diverse traditional games, or visit the local heritage and historical museums, which will take you back in time. The diversity of the natural environment along with the area’s rich cultural heritage, historic sites and beautiful traditional souks provide visitors with many enjoyable activities during their visit.

Start with discovering the Najran Museum of Antiquities and Heritage. There you can learn about the wonderful engineering techniques that went into the planning and construction of the historical Amarah Palace, linking the past with the future. But, don’t stop there! Make sure to visit the ancient Okhdood archaeological site, and be amazed with its mysteries and secrets from more than 3500 of years ago.

Make your stay longer! Discover the diversity of destinations surrounding Najran, such as the Eastern Province, Riyadh and the Aseer regions.

HistoricPalace.jpg

City of Najran

Najran is a city filled with incredible examples of archeology, history and civilization, providing the visitor with an endless diversity of attractions and activities.

The expansive landscapes and sand dune formations in the nearby Empty Quarter are amazing to view. Nnatural reserves, parks and recreational cities provide plenty of things to do and places to visit. Najran is truly the land of nature, history, heritage and biodiversity!

ro-12.png

Najran and the Surrounding Area

From ancient palaces and castles to natural parks and gardens, Najran is diverse in its attractions and holds something for every traveler. Whether you choose to explore ancient history in the archaeological city of Okhdood, visit the Antiquities and Heritage Museum of Najran, or spend a day at King Fahd Park, you will always find something interesting and enjoyable to do.

camels.png

Camel Race

A visit to Najran is not complete without a trip to the camel races. This is a very popular and authentic Arab sport and, like horseracing, it is quite exciting and challenging. Camels have played an important role in the desert life over thousands of years, and today they are also used for celebrating and competing in festivals and special events. Spending a day at a camel race is a true highlight of a Najran visit and should not be missed.

okhdood.png

The ancient city of Okhdood (Groove)

The Okhdood archaeological site is one of the most important monuments and historical sites in Saudi Arabia. It a castle built with stones and surrounded by a 235-meter long wall that features a gate on its west side. The City of Okhdood is among the richest ancient sites in the Arabian Peninsula and the most important cultural, tourism and historical landmark of Najran, due to the presence of carvings and inscriptions on the stone surfaces that date back more than 3500 years.

food.png

Traditional Cuisine

The people of Najran delight in preparing traditional dishes that are both interesting and delicious. The food is known for its good taste and healthy components. Although there are some similarities between Najran and other areas in the making of traditional foods, Najran has a distinctive cuisine that is singular in its delicious taste, such as Ma’soob (made of banana and pastry) , Wafd (baked whole wheat placed in a dish and hand pressed into a ball), Bur (brown flour flat bread), Samn (ghee), Mardhoofah (a dish similar to Wafd but with meat), Raqash (whole wheat flakes baked and placed one atop the other in a dish called Medhin.), Huwaisiah (wheat that is fried while still soft, then sun dried, placed in a dish and mixed with boiled water), Faid (corn on the cob is sundried, pounded, picked, ground, and placed in a dish with boiled water. ), Lakiyah (made of either whole wheat or corn, with ground meat), Rabaikiah (dates are boiled in water, then depitted and served), and Marqooq (made of dough cut up into small flakes and then baked in broth and vegetables).

najrandress.jpg

Traditional Dress

Traditional clothing and toiletries in the community of Najran are distinctly different between men and women. Some of the clothes and accessories worn by men include Muthayal (made of white fabric, its long wide sleeves extend to the mid-calf and, when worn, are bound in the back and tied behind the shoulders to facilitate movement), Gharow (strands of goat hair worn on the head atop men’s ghutra, which is a piece of fabric used like an igal or turban), shoes, dagger, belt, Tayyar (like a belt but is worn on the shoulder ) and gun. Some of the women’s clothes and jewelries are Mukammam (two kinds; black is worn underneath and white is worn over the black), Khergah (placed over a woman’s head with a single strand of hair over it holding an assortment of silver rings dangling over her face), Samt (made of Sheeh), Lazim (a silver piece holding smaller silver pieces. Lazim is worn with necklaces), Jaras (made of silver and worn on the chest), Khuroos, Matal, rings, Hirz (ornamented cylindrical tube with dangling silver chains hung on the neck and draped over the chest) and Dan’a (women attach this to the shawls tied on their heads so that they hang over the outer ear).

n010.jpg

Folklore

Najran is rich with diverse arts and traditional folklore. People of Najran still practice traditional dances at public events such as the Eid festivals, weddings, circumcisions and others. Among the most famous and beautiful dances in Najran are Zerfah, Zamil, and Marafea.

najranwether.jpg

Weather

The climate of Najran is one of contrasts, depending on the different geographical characteristics, but in general, it is hot in the summer on the plains, rainy in the mountains, and moderate to cool in the winter all across the region. The winter and summer temperatures vary between 14° and 37° C (57 – 98.6 F). Najran experiences an easterly wind in the winter, east and southeast wind in the spring and a northeastern wind during the summer.

Last edited:
This news below is related to the tourism sector:

Riyadh recreation spots almost ready

1388089300146401100.jpg

A PLACE TO UNWIND: Riyadh Gov. Prince Khaled inspects developments under way at the popular Wadi Hanifa Park on Thursday. (SPA)

RIYADH: ARAB NEWS

Published — Friday 27 December 2013

Last update 27 December 2013 2:05 am

Riyadh Gov. Prince Khaled bin Bandar said here on Thursday that several tourism and recreational spots in the city's valley are on schedule and would be completed soon for local residents and visitors.
Prince Khaled, accompanied by his deputy Prince Turki bin Abdullah bin Abdul Aziz, inspected developments under way at the popular Wadi Hanifa Park, which attracts many holidaymakers.
Speaking to reporters after the tour, Prince Khaled said the new projects in Wadi Hanifa, Wadi Batha and Wadi Nemar would provide more leisure and recreational areas for citizens and residents. He thanked the government for generously supporting the initiatives.
Located in the middle of the Najd Plateau of the Kingdom, Wadi Hanifa is the longest and most important valley near Riyadh with a natural water course covering 4,000 square km, a unique geographical feature in the dry region.
The Arriyadh Development Authority (ADA) has drawn up a comprehensive development strategy to transform the area into an environmental, recreational and tourism resource.
Project works so far have included the introduction of landscaping, conservation of the natural environment, enhancement of agricultural land, and the creation of an environmentally sensitive waste water treatment facility that provides additional water resources for the rural and urban inhabitants of the region.
The projects under construction in the area include a 43-km road, recreation centers and artificial lakes. Ibrahim Al-Sultan, head of projects and planning at the ADA, said a water treatment system at the wadi would use water in the area throughout the year.
Prince Khaled later laid the foundation stone for the development of Wadi Batha, which is also being developed into a recreational area. He visited the dam at Wadi Nemar where a new park would be constructed on an area of 130,000 square meters.
He later inspected the designs of Prince Sattam Park in Wadi Laban, covering an area of 940,000 square meters.

Wadi Hanifa has become increasingly popular among Saudis and expatriate residents as a weekend picnic spot. "This is my family’s first visit and I had not expected to find a natural recreational place like this in Riyadh. It's quite different from similar recreation spots. It's far from buildings and crowds," a Saudi visitor said.

Riyadh recreation spots almost ready | Arab News — Saudi Arabia News, Middle East News, Opinion, Economy and more.

Connecting tourist places with separate highways and high speed trains as KSA can afford it.

In my state, there is one train which has all the modern facilities, go to various historic cities of state, stay there for 2-3 days, tourist visit all the places and return back to coaches.

Its not a high speed train but its modern as well as mixed with my state, Rajasthan's culture.

Indian cities are quite dirty and bad roads but the tourists are attracted to see the culture.

Modernization considering Culture should happen rather than modernization alone.

@al-Hasani
luxury-train-travel.jpg

rrow_015.jpg

Last edited:
@KRAIT

I agree with that. The benefits of a tourism sector and tourism from around the world must not pose a threat to the local culture. So a balance has to be found in every country and that is exactly what KSA is trying to do. I am sure that they have been thinking about that issue.

Those trains, although not top, top modern, are very nice and I also like the traditional interior. I am sure that visitors prefer that rather than a neutral top modern train that could be fund in every other country.

Combining modernity and traditions is a great combination as long as you don't overdue one part.

Jeddah to hold its first heritage tourism event

• 1389019019445601400.jpg

FIRST FOR JEDDAH: The Jeddah heritage festival committee comprises members from the Saudi Commission for Tourism and Antiquities and the Jeddah Chamber of Commerce and Industry. (AN photo)

JEDDAH: FOUZIA KHAN & IRFAN MOHAMMED

Published — Tuesday 7 January 2014

Last update 7 January 2014 4:13 am

Jeddah will play host to the first ever heritage tourism festival on its soil from Jan. 15 on the sidelines of the Jeddah spring festival entitled “Hayya Jeddah.”
    The 10-day heritage festival gains significance in the backdrop of the Kingdom’s continued efforts to secure UNESCO world heritage status for Jeddah’s old downtown area. A UNESCO team is expected to visit the site during the festival.
    The festival will take place under the patronage of Makkah Governor Prince Mishaal bin Abdullah.
    Revealing details of the festival at a press conference on Sunday at Jeddah’s historic center in downtown Jeddah, Abdullah Dhawi, president of an organizing committee comprising the Saudi Commission for Tourism and Antiquities and the Jeddah Chamber of Commerce and Industry, named Jeddah Governor Prince Mishaal bin Majid as the chairman of the supreme committee of the festival.
    He said such a festival would mark a milestone in the city’s tourism sector and would greatly contribute to boosting the economy.
    A total of 46 programs will be held across various sites based on the historic importance of the location.
    He further explained that 90 percent of activities at the festival will based on Hijazi heritage, which dates back 3000 years, and will be centered in the historic downtown area, known in Arabic as the “balad.”
    The festival aims to raise awareness among new generations about the city’s former glory, he said, adding that exclusive entertainment programs had been planned for children. The contract for the festival’s planning and organization has been awarded to Benchmark Event Management.
    Benchmark Representative Zaki Hassanein said a series of comedy shows will be held by a Jeddah-based comedy club during the festival.
    Mazen Batterjee, vice-president of the Jeddah Chamber of Commerce and Industry, pointed out Jeddah is the only city along the Red Sea trying to preserve heritage along the coastline. Jeddah Municipality’s Mohammed Khoja said that a smartphone application would be made available on smart phones on IOS and Android applications.
    Smart phone applications will contain complete information, including pictures of 70 historic sites of Jeddah and festival information, he said, adding that the festival committee is launching social media sites.
    Videos of historic sites containing a 15-second clip will also be made available.
    “The Kingdom spends about SR50 million through the Ministry of Municipal Affairs every year toward the preservation of sites. Its impact will be felt during the heritage festival in Jeddah,” said Mohammed Abdullah Al-Omari of the Commission of Tourism and Antiques in the Makkah region.
    Police, civil defense, municipal authorities and the business community participated in the conference.
    “This festival will make Jeddah join the list of historical heritage sites in the world,” he said.
    Sami Nawar, supervisor of heritage sites and a spokesman at the Jeddah Municipality, said that interest in preserving the architecture and heritage of Jeddah goes far back as 1980. “There is now a plan in place to renovate 34 historical buildings out of a total of 557 sites,” he explained.
    More than 5,000 visitors are expected to attend the festival.

Jeddah to hold its first heritage tourism event | Arab News — Saudi Arabia News, Middle East News, Opinion, Economy and more.

@MarkusS

This is a thread that might interest you since you started the discussion.;)
he he yeah. As i said, i´m sure many europeans would love to travel to Saudi Arabia if a certain infra structure is given. But there are also many cultural problems i think. I mean you need at least zones where we can act "normal". For example if i travel with my girl, that would be hard in KSA, right?

he he yeah. As i said, i´m sure many europeans would love to travel to Saudi Arabia if a certain infra structure is given. But there are also many cultural problems i think. I mean you need at least zones where we can act "normal". For example if i travel with my girl, that would be hard in KSA, right?

The infrastructure is improving rapidly and is not bad. Highways are of good condition and wide. Drivers are bad though, LOL. This is a area where Germans could help again.;) But there are many projects, top-modern high speed railways, metros, new airports etc. that will improve that drastically.

Well, if she is your wife you will have no problem. Or a relative.

Do not believe in all the propaganda of KSA.

Over 100.000 Westerners live in the country. But it is a Islamic society and not as liberal as UAE for example so you are right about that.

If it was up to me I would make the laws slightly less conservative in order to boost the tourism sector for real (for example) but the holy sites should be left as they are and the laws there. It would create many jobs for the locals who would love this.

Lastly there are actually beach resorts in KSA were Westerners visit for holidays but it is not a big industry.;)

The infrastructure is improving rapidly and is not bad. Highways are of good condition and wide. Drivers are bad though, LOL. This is a area where Germans could help again.;) But there are many projects, top-modern high speed railways, metros, new airports etc. that will improve that drastically.

Well, if she is your wife you will have no problem. Or a relative.

Do not believe in all the propaganda of KSA.

Over 100.000 Westerners live in the country. But it is a Islamic society and not as liberal as UAE for example so you are right about that.

She isn´t my wife. I´m way too young to marry. You know thats different in europe. So i don´t know how it would be there.

Back
Top Bottom