What's new

Why would people from China, the world's second-biggest economy, risk their lives to enter the UK?

So you are saying Hong Kong have the same Culture as Mainland Chinese and/or language?

Since when did we have the same culture? We are westernized, you are not, we celebrate Christmas and Easter, you do not, and we are speaking Cantonese, Majority of Mainland Chinese spoke Mandarin. You may think it is the same, but would you understand what a Cantonese speaker says without he writing it down? Even Guangdong Cantonese and Hong Kong Cantonese are somewhat different, you are saying we speak the "SAME" language than Mainland China? We even use different script in Chinese.
Different holidays make you different country. This is the worst joke. Cantonese is a Chinese dialect. Everybody knows that. And every foreigner would call you Chinese whenever you speak Cantonese to him. This is solid truth. By the way the whole world is westenized to some extent. China has about 100 million Christains.

Go to the internet, and search Soros Hedges Hong Kong Dollars, and you will see how China uses Hong Kong Foreign Fund to fight off an attempt.If China were to able to fight it off themselves, they wouldn't have touched the Hong Kong fund. And LOL Hong Kong Currency was saved by China, how? When Hong Kong Currency are pegged to the USD, or are you claiming Chinese Government print US Dollars to save Hong Kong Dollars??
Soros can never hurt China because China has firewall on finance system. He can only hurt HK because HK is a free economy. It is China that used its foreign exchange reserve to save HK, rather than vice versa.

Again, about PDF, you can unbanned PDF does not mean you would go to see world news on Google et al. So putting back to me and saying "Our firewall is not blocked becuase I can access PDF" is nothing but nonsense. Tell me this, do you have a daily subscription of USA Today? Or Do you check MSN or Google news or Youtube at least once a day? If you don't that mean you are selectively allowing information in. It's does not matter if you can use VPN if you are using it to your or your government advantage.
Above video is from youtube. If I have no access to your western papa news resurces(Which are full of lies), I wouldn't be so confident to talk with you. Again, I know all information you know.

Last edited:
Different holidays make you different country. This is the worst joke. Cantonese is a Chinese dialect. Everybody knows that. And every foreigner would call you Chinese whenever you speak Cantonese to him. This is solid truth. By the way the whole world is westenized to some extent. China has about 100 million Christains.

Soros can never hurt China because China has firewall on finance system. He can only hurt HK because HK is a free economy. It is China that used its foreign exchange reserve to save HK, rather than vice versa.

Above video is from youtube. If I have no access to your western papa news resurces(Which are full of lies), I wouldn't be so confident to talk with you. Again, I know all information you know.

Did I say different holiday makes different country? Do you even know what you and me are talking about? Not once did I said "Different Country", I said Hong Konger is not Chinese, that does not mean Hong Kong and China is not the same country.

You bring up the point of being "similar culturally" I said we don't have similar culture, and holiday is a very good indication of the cultural difference.

So what China have 100 millions Christian? Do China make Christmas and Easter public holiday?

lol, you can say whatever you want about Soros, it is literally impossible to have China save Hong Kong Dollar in 1997 as you claimed. First of all, as I said before Hong Kong Dollars are pegged to USD, not RMB, which mean they can't transfer as much USD to save Hong Kong without damaging RMB own stability, and we aren't talking about millions of dollars. Second of all, China won't have enough currency reserve to "save" Hong Kong back in 1997. But well, you can think what you like, that's a part of freedom I will let you have that China don't have.

And finally, it's never about what you "can" see, but rather, what is present to you. As I said, have you check google daily to catch up to the current outside news? Have you check YouTube Daily and catch up to current news? If you don't you can't say you "know" all the stuff I know, because, to put it simply, I know what's going on at YouTube yesterday, you don't if you don't check regularly.

The original plan of Britain was probably that once they established a stronghold in China, they would be able to progressively extend their footprint in China. When their holding is large enough, no one would dare to ask when the lease term expires and how the land should be returned as it is not relevant any more. This was basically the same way that Britain started off in India. They started off a humble way but shallowed India slowly and progressively.

They have always insisted that all they wanted was merely a trading post in China and they didn’t position themselves as predator from the beginning. Think like them.

Friend I know the disgusting actions of British all too well. My own (ancestral) family has long history with having to deal with them...and how they double deal and backstab at highest scale of things, all the while virtue signalling with "white man burden".

We have it all written down and passed from generation to generation too...so its not forgotten. But we are able to do this because our lot was educated in that era too. It is why I am at least able to delineate actions of those Britishers back then and not carry forward blame in 100% way to Britishers of today (but I acknowledge I have my perspective, and its not shared by those that suffer more for whatever reason and have to lash out more).

But most Indians were stripped of access to education by British (this is the biggest thing that was perpetrated on our people, more than anything else). This means there is a massive psychological issue at root in various ways among Indians at large to this day. It is changing somewhat with each generation somewhat (though I do not care for what is replacing much of it either)...but it will take long long time to recover from that at enough scale in my opinion.

So its no surprise to me what British did regd opium wars and HK with China, and what they likely were setting up/hedging for if China did completely fracture someway under Qing. China too has suffered psychologically under that "century of humiliation"....but you coming out of it quicker than India for sure (given you could maintain the core bedrock through the worst lot better, or the "inner flame preserved" as we call it)....consider yourselves luckier.

But of course this stuff w.r.t this longer story will definitely appear when it comes to things like HK. 99% of westerners dont even know this, so they blindly lap up the commie vs liberal blab at face value....and then go back to their regular programming on whatever 1st world problem noise they have. They are deluded mostly...I have given up on most of them...esp their media and elite.

What are you? Pakistan Defence Forum vigilante? Should I be afraid of you guys? LOL

Too bad Carrie Lam withdraw the bill, you can't extradite me to China even if I am in Hong Kong. You want to come try? I live in Shams Shui Po. You can come and find me.
You seem to be a brave person. Too bad not so much in real life.
You should post your picture here to contradict my post and display your bravery.

You seem to be a brave person. Too bad not so much in real life.
You should post your picture here to contradict my post and display your bravery.

Stop being a smart a$$. What is the point to show you my picture when you don't even know who I actually am in this anonymous forum? Say, what stop me from pulling anyone picture I know or not know and show it to you and claim it was me? How do you know? I may be in Australia sitting in front of a computer or I may be sitting beside you in a Chinese Restaurant this morning wherever you are, that you would not know too.

So how smart it is to ask someone for a picture in an anonymous forum to show any bravery? And if you are so brave, why don't you show your face in this forum so everyone can have a laugh at?

LOL

Hong Kong is not China

I thought you said you used to be a proud Chinese years back, even joining protests for the Diaoyu/Senkaku Islands? Why did you, and many HKers for that matter, have such a drastic change in recent years?

China government saved HK dollar twice(1997 and 2019)

It is China that used its foreign exchange reserve to save HK

Nah that's a myth propagated by China's 自媒体 and netizens just 带节奏.

Is there any definite proof that China used her forex to rescue HK, and if so how much? I've seen this claim from for many years and whenever I asked this question, there's no reply.

Watch this video which interviewed relevant authorities and debunked the myth fully:
https://www.channelnewsasia.com/new...dealt-with-the-asian-financial-crisis-9010408

HK's economic fundamentals has always been strong with huge reserves and annual surpluses.

Back then Singapore managed to fend off speculation without any external backing and even helped our neighbors to defend their currencies.

The Asian financial crisis has taught Singapore several important lessons. The primary lesson is that Singapore has withstood the currency storm lashing the Asian region because of its strong economic fundamentals. With high current account surpluses, substantial budget surpluses, high savings rates, huge foreign exchange reserves, strong inflow of foreign direct investment, almost non-existent external debt, and negligible non-performing loans, Singapore was able to deter currency attacks and to take timely and bold measures to counter the large negative shocks triggered by the crisis. Because of its strong position, Singapore was able to promise loans of US$1 billion to Thailand and US$5 billion to Indonesia, as part of the IMF “bailout package” for these two countries. In addition, Singapore has used its foreign reserves to intervene directly in the foreign exchange markets, to help shore up the baht and rupiah in the midst of the crisis.

http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.475.8642&rep=rep1&type=pdf

At that time HK's economy is almost 2x the size of Singapore's and surely they have sufficient financial firepower to defend their currency, their foreign reserves were the 3rd highest in the world at that time. If HK can't defend, it means that 95% of countries can't defend too.

To understand why, let us go back to the international financial crisis of 1997/1998. The size of our monetary base at that time was smaller, at around HK$95 billion, and the amount of foreign reserves needed to back it 100% amounted to about US$12 billion. The crisis came, and there was the initial attack on our currency in October 1997.

First, we used the opportunity to sell foreign reserves for Hong Kong dollars, in anticipation of the draw down of fiscal reserves deposited with the Exchange Fund, as the public finances moved into a cyclical as well as a seasonal deficit. This relieved some of the pressure on the exchange rate and therefore obviated the need for a repeat of the very sharp interest rate hike of 1997. The amount of foreign reserves utilised in this manner was about US$10 billion. Secondly, we sold large sums of foreign reserves for Hong Kong dollars for the purchase of Hong Kong stocks equivalent to US$15 billion. Thirdly, we made the monetary base much bigger in order to reduce the sensitivity of interest rates to inflows and outflows of funds. This involved committing another US$13 billion as additional backing. Thus, what was at that time the theoretical minimum requirement of US$12 billion in foreign reserves for the provision of 100% backing to the monetary base became a requirement to mobilise a much higher level of foreign reserves, amounting to a few times the minimum. It should also be noted that we were able to do so without causing a breakdown of confidence in monetary and financial management in Hong Kong on the part of the international financial community, including financial analysts and rating agencies. To a large extent, this was because we had significantly more foreign reserves in the Exchange Fund than the sums mobilised, and the Fund had no significant liabilities other than the fiscal reserves deposited there.

https://www.legco.gov.hk/yr00-01/english/panels/fa/papers/a1022e02.pdf

v2-7193eaf2d24e20e440cca0b4eb9f08bc_hd.jpg

v2-de2302e7f9948820d5a695c3efb551ef_hd.jpg

v2-771150d3310068bf437e52bede56e68d_hd.jpg
v2-b535628afba375e25099b5e624ef506e_hd.jpg
v2-73ca3c4dca961d328e700a7e124db236_hd.jpg
v2-c5571d0a25c622a93b2b791c7d2bfa8b_hd.jpg

Beijing gave only moral support by saying that they "fully support one country two systems".

They themselves need the reserves, which is only slightly higher than HK's in 1997, to defend their own currency for 1.2 billion people. They are in no luxury to help HK. You think the Chinese leaders are stupid?

Meanwhile i've seen countless of 'cool story bro' articles 加盐加醋 praising and dramatize the central government for her role in the 1997 AFC with no numbers or facts to substantiate that the Beijing has intervened lol.

A simple Google:

早在97年索罗斯掀起第一轮狙击时,香港政府就十分清楚,以香港现有的外汇储备,根本无力单独应付可能的金融袭击。于是,香港财政高官秘密进京,得到了中央的将不遗余力地,倾中国外汇储备之全力支持的许诺。
这一天,百万香港人锁定频道,眼睛紧紧盯住飞快跳动的恒生指数,所有的人都捏着一把汗。这一刻,许多香港市民都不再关心自己的财产是否缩水,真正意义上的与香港这座城市同命运共荣辱。
可以说,在中央政府的强大支撑下,香港虽然保住了自己的经济命脉,但也只能说收获了“惨胜”,而若没有这个强大的后盾,其后果就更加无法想象了。对于这场金融战争,中央政府的表现获得了全世界的广泛赞誉,其角色定位之精准、出手之决心、策略之稳重让世界赞叹,这也成为中国政府参与世界金融战争的“首秀”。
https://zhuanlan.zhihu.com/p/38575082

:lol::lol:

This article was describing in details on how the HK government intervened but somehow it concluded that it was thanks to Beijing's 'massive support' and the whole world praised Beijing for its precision and decisiveness. LOL.

Really it's such unfounded bragging and arrogant complex which turn off ordinary HKers.

https://medium.com/@kyliecthapthong/中國又在香港教科書改歷史-洗香港小朋友腦-24c197a40e7b

Last edited:
Nah that's a myth propagated by China's 自媒体 and netizens just 带节奏.

Is there any definite proof that China used her forex to to rescue HK, and if so how much? I've seen this claim from for many years and whenever I asked this question, there's no reply.

Watch this video which interviewed relevant authorities and debunked the myth fully:
https://www.channelnewsasia.com/new...dealt-with-the-asian-financial-crisis-9010408

HK's economic fundamentals has always been strong with huge reserves and annual surpluses.

Back then Singapore managed to fend off speculation without any external backing and even helped our neighbors to defend their currencies.

http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.475.8642&rep=rep1&type=pdf

At that time HK's economy is almost 2x the size of Singapore's and surely they have sufficient financial firepower to defend their currency, their foreign reserves were the 3rd highest in the world at that time. If HK can't defend, it means that 95% of countries can't defend too.

v2-7193eaf2d24e20e440cca0b4eb9f08bc_hd.jpg

v2-de2302e7f9948820d5a695c3efb551ef_hd.jpg

v2-771150d3310068bf437e52bede56e68d_hd.jpg
v2-b535628afba375e25099b5e624ef506e_hd.jpg
v2-73ca3c4dca961d328e700a7e124db236_hd.jpg
v2-c5571d0a25c622a93b2b791c7d2bfa8b_hd.jpg

Beijing gave only moral support by saying that they "fully support one country two system". They need the reserves, which is only slightly higher than HK's in 1997, to defend their own currency.

Meanwhile i've seen countless of 'cool story bro' articles 加盐加醋 praising and dramatize the central government for her role in the 1997 AFC with no numbers or facts to substantiate that the Beijing has intervened lol.

A simple Google:

https://zhuanlan.zhihu.com/p/38575082

This article was describing in details on how the HK government intervened but somehow it concluded that it was thanks to the Beijing's 'massive support' and the whole world praised Beijing lmao.

Really it's such arrogant complex which turn ordinary HKers off.

https://medium.com/@kyliecthapthong/中國又在香港教科書改歷史-洗香港小朋友腦-24c197a40e7b
666.jpg

I thought you said you used to be a proud Chinese years back, even joining protests for the Diaoyu/Senkaku Islands? Why did you, and many HKers for that matter, have such a drastic change in recent years?
Nah. Not same kind of HKers. There are always pro China HKers and anti China HKers. The number of anti China HKers is growing because HK's eduction system is mostly controlled by pro west organizations. Church schools for example.

I am a proud Hong Konger, I used to have a different view with China, you can also called me Pro-China.

I went to Mu Kwang Secondary School in KT, and it is a very pro-China school, and you can almost compare to being educated in China, that is what the Chinese did very good with their influence, you started influence primary school and secondary school, when you feed enough of those message, you have been getting more and more pro-Chinese view, and you started to think, yes, the west is playing tricks with us.

But it won't take long until you realize, numerous blaming and your city is still going down hill in a hell basket. You started to wonder why, and you started to have these type of realization that you have been lies to all the time. You can only fed lies to a person in a definite amount, unless in China, where you can and you are encouraged to go after non-align view. It's just a matter of time you started to rethink what you have been fed, that is the moment like you are awake from a bubble. That is why many people change in recent year.

What's this? A comment from YouTube?

He's basically reiterating my point that the mainland gave only moral support while the real battle was carried out by HKers. Watch the CNA source above.

The only dilemma for the HK government is whether they should intervene since HK is well-known for being a free economy, but once they decided to intervene no one can match their financial firepower. Their foreign reserves is 8x for their monetary base, they can easily back it 100%.

To understand why, let us go back to the international financial crisis of 1997/1998. The size of our monetary base at that time was smaller, at around HK$95 billion, and the amount of foreign reserves needed to back it 100% amounted to about US$12 billion. The crisis came, and there was the initial attack on our currency in October 1997.

It's nowhere near as dramatic as some of China's 自媒体 claim that they saved HK and Asia because of promising not to devalue. Even Singapore is able to intervene in the forex market to shore up our neighbor's currency and promise loans.

Because of its strong position, Singapore was able to promise loans of US$1 billion to Thailand and US$5 billion to Indonesia, as part of the IMF “bailout package” for these two countries. In addition, Singapore has used its foreign reserves to intervene directly in the foreign exchange markets, to help shore up the baht and rupiah in the midst of the crisis.

I am a proud Hong Konger, I used to have a different view with China, you can also called me Pro-China.

I went to Mu Kwang Secondary School in KT, and it is a very pro-China school, and you can almost compare to being educated in China, that is what the Chinese did very good with their influence, you started influence primary school and secondary school, when you feed enough of those message, you have been getting more and more pro-Chinese view, and you started to think, yes, the west is playing tricks with us.

But it won't take long until you realize, numerous blaming and your city is still going down hill in a hell basket. You started to wonder why, and you started to have these type of realization that you have been lies to all the time. You can only fed lies to a person in a definite amount, unless in China, where you can and you are encouraged to go after non-align view. It's just a matter of time you started to rethink what you have been fed, that is the moment like you are awake from a bubble. That is why many people change in recent year.

Blame your own hong konger and not others... Greedy business HK property tycoon who killed any business venture like innovation, manufacturing and technology. China totally let Hong Konger run themselves but its the biggest mistake. I have to admit one country 2 system is a mistake. If China is able to fully takeover Hong Kong and revamp its system, it will eliminate those tycoon dominate business like electric power, property ,telecommunication with state-owned that will ensure cheaper rate for general people. The Chinese would have long flatten few hillls or reclaimed many coastside to ensure abundant of land for flat building to ensure affordable prices for most Hong Konger.

What's this? A comment from YouTube?

He's basically reiterating my point that the mainland gave only moral support while the real battle was carried out by HKers. Watch the CNA source above.

The only dilemma for the HK government is whether they should intervene since HK is well-known for being a free economy, but once they decided to intervene no one can match their financial firepower. Their foreign reserves is 8x for their monetary base, they can easily back it 100%.
See this video(from 11:30)

See this video(from 11:30)

Lol Taiwanese talkshow.

这些节目也说大陆吃不起榨菜茶叶蛋,你相信?全部还不是叙述网络上所读到的消息?

Latest posts

Pakistan Defence Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom