What's new

Why was the Awami League not allowed to form government in 1971?

It must be noted, that apart from the said Maulana, many Hindu members of Parliament were at the forefront of this issue, and did not miss an opportunity to unsettle affairs. Names such as Dhirendranat Dutta, Prem H. Burman, Bhupinder Dutta, and Sri Chandra Chattopadhyay come to mind.

Thank you for bring this names up to this topic. The fact of the matter is that Bangla language has more value from the religious point of view to Hindus than Muslim. Bangla language movement incited by Hindus and like minded Muslim in east Pakistan. one let to other and than final nail to the coffin.

Moulana Abdul Hamid Khan Basani is the founder of Awami Muslim League. He is known as "Majlum Jononeta"(leader of the oppress) in Bangladesh and respected by all. He took mujib-ur-rehman under his wing but history tell us that Mujib Betrayed kind heart aged Basani and took over leadership of Awami Muslim Leauge. He later dropped Muslim to satisfy Hindu vote.

Note: There was no existence of Bangla in Madrasah and in Islamic study until the birth of Bangladesh. Arabic, Urdu and Farsi are the main language. Present day basic bangla introduced to satisfy reading and writing skill.

Thank you for bring this names up to this topic. The fact of the matter is that Bangla language has more value from the religious point of view to Hindus than Muslim. Bangla language movement incited by Hindus and like minded Muslim in east Pakistan. one let to other and than final nail to the coffin.

Please enlighten me by naming a single hindu who were involved in Bengali Language Movement.
Even your so called angel Golam Azam (leader of Jamaat) felt proud of being part of that movement. Jamaat call him Vasha Shoinik... hahahahaha

Please enlighten me by naming a single hindu who were involved in Bengali Language Movement.
Even your so called angel Golam Azam (leader of Jamaat) felt proud of being part of that movement. Jamaat call him Vasha Shoinik... hahahahaha

I'm not sure if you are aware, but Direndhranat dutta was the member of Parliament who actually first put forward legislation to make Bengali the official language of Pakistan.

So you thing I am Jamaat follower. Nothing wrong with being part of Jamaat-e-Islami. I would preferred to be part of Islam than Jamaat-e-Hindu. Jamaat may be a lot of things but at least they aren't thief or crook like Awami Hindu minded league.
:lol::rofl:

I'm not sure if you are aware, but Direndhranat dutta was the member of Parliament who actually first put forward legislation to make Bengali the official language of Pakistan.
Huh... he was not an activist.. he was just a member of parliament and did his job. He was not remembered as the Soldier of Language Movement in BD (that is how we call them and are considered most honored persons in Bengal)

Huh... he was not an activist.. he was just a member of parliament and did his job. He was not remembered as the Soldier of Language Movement in BD (that is how we call them and are considered most honored persons in Bengal)

Off course they wouldn't be street activists. They're too clever for that, they'll let others do the running around. But rest assured, larger forces were at play than you might contemplate.

Off course they wouldn't be street activists. They're too clever for that, they'll let others do the running around. But rest assured, larger forces were at play than you might contemplate.

You are a funny person i should admit ....

The movement was spontaneous. When people gathered to listen to the speech of Jinnah in Dhaka University and when he declared that Urdu would be the national language, the audience immediately started shouting NO NO NO...
It was not preplanned and nobody knew Jinnah would say that...
It was in 1948 right after the independence.

I think Awami and mujib disgraced by omitting the memory of Quaid-e-Ajam from Bangladesh after separation form west Pakistan. Its seem we Bangladeshi forget that with out birth of Pakistan there wouldn't be Bangladesh. If I am not wrong than I believe Muhammad Ali Jinnah is the founder of united Pakistan(east and west). He has nothing to do with 1971 debacle. At least we could have gave him some higher place in Bangladesh. Couldn't we? There is limit to Ahsan faramoshi.

I think Awami and mujib disgraced by omitting the memory of Quaid-e-Ajam from Bangladesh after separation form west Pakistan. Its seem we Bangladeshi forget that with out birth of Pakistan there wouldn't be Bangladesh. If I am not wrong than I believe Muhammad Ali Jinnah is the founder of united Pakistan(east and west). He has nothing to do with 1971 debacle. At least we could have gave him some higher place in Bangladesh. Couldn't we? There is limit to Ahsan faramoshi.

It must also be remembered, that Bengal was at the forefront of the Pakistan independence movement, more than Punjab, or Sindh. The most agitation in favour of Pakistan had been in Bengal, and Bengalis sacrificed a lot for this movement, which was in fact as much their movement, as those from West Pakistan, in fact more so.

Just because EAst and WEst couldn't get along, doesn't mean that it was the death of the two nation theory.

The movement was spontaneous. When people gathered to listen to the speech of Jinnah in Dhaka University and when he declared that Urdu would be the national language, the audience immediately started shouting NO NO NO...
It was not preplanned and nobody knew Jinnah would say that...
It was in 1948 right after the independence.

Thanks for that blast from the past, I say, you must be reaching old age, and it's good you can recount the memories from those boyhood years of 1948.

Come what may, the language issue was resolved in 1956, so to present that as justification for the Awami Leagues 6 points, does not make sense.

No one says that East Pakistanis were not upset about Bengali not being the official language.

Jinnah cannot be blamed personally for this, since he was not even an Urdu speaker himself. He can hardly be said to have prejudice for a particular language. The historical supremecy of the Urdu language, and it's official use for hundreds of years, gave it the best chance of unifying the country.

Bengali, PUnjabi, Sindhi, could not have unified the country. You think Sindhi, or PUnjabi is of a lower value, as a language, than Bengali?

Urdu/Hindustani had been the lingua franca of India, even though those from the south and east of the subcontinent are loath to admit it.

It was also the language of prominent muslim, islamic scholarship, the language of discourse for muslims from different linguistic backgrounds, be they Telugu, Malayalam, Gujurati, Bengali, Punjabi or Pashtun. How you do not recognise this, is beyond me.

None of the early leaders of Pakistan was an ethnic Urdu speaker, so it cannot be said that there was any prejudice in favour of the Urdu language. Even now, in my city, I converse with Bangladeshis in Urdu. Just had a conversation with one yesterday. That is because it is still the lingua franca of Pakistan, India, Bengladesh, Nepal and Afghanistan.

Last edited:
It must also be remembered, that Bengal was at the forefront of the Pakistan independence movement, more than Punjab, or Sindh. The most agitation in favour of Pakistan had been in Bengal, and Bengalis sacrificed a lot for this movement, which was in fact as much their movement, as those from West Pakistan, in fact more so.

Just because EAst and WEst couldn't get along, doesn't mean that it was the death of the two nation theory.

Very true indeed. Some Bangladeshis still contend that 1971 was about Bengali nationalism and that we threw away the two nation theory and Islam in that year. This is probably the biggest lie put out by both the AL and India.

Well Mujib and his gang tried to erase Islam and killed the concept of two nation theory from the Bangladesh. His hate for Muslim and Islam unimaginable.

Here are some examples out of many:

1-He establish secular Constitution with out praising to Allah and inclusion of Bismillah ir-Rahman ir-Rahim.
2-stopped broadcasting of tilawat-e-Qur'aan from TV and Radio first thing in the morning.
3-He scraped Iayat from Dhaka university that read "rabbi jidni ilma."
4-omit Muslim from "salimullah Muslim hall."
5-omit Islam from "kazi najrul Islam hall."

Mujib secular Bangladesh died with him 1975. Islam and Two nation theory re emerge with the emergence of General Zia-ur-Rehman. Today's Bangladesh is the product of General Zia-ur-Rehman not Mujib the dalal. General Zia Islamize the constitution and brought Bangladesh closer to Islamic world. He is our modern day Islamic hero. He is beloved and respected by Muslims in Bangladesh.

Urdu: It was also the language of prominent muslim, islamic scholarship, the language of discourse for muslims from different linguistic backgrounds, be they Telugu, Malayalam, Gujurati, Bengali, Punjabi or Pashtun. How you do not recognise this, is beyond me.

I got news for you. Those who injected with heavy dose of bacteria called "bengalism", it will never get in to their head. They are lack of Islamic of gene.

Last edited:
Gromell Bhai,

I got tired of encountering Horse Syte like above but it seemed like there wasn't any lack of supply from your end. Suhrawardy became a real Bengali to you but you didn't see Bengalis like Abul Mansoor Ahmed or Fazlul Kader Chowdhury getting ministerial and speaker posts. Furthermore, he wasn't allowed to enter PAK due to his imbecility of fueling riots in Kolkata that ignited spiral of Muslim cleansings throughout Bihar, WB and Assam. And his disciple Mujib went a step ahead by start killing in parliament. BTW, Suhrawardy was an Arabian descendent too and probably less of Bengali by gene than Iskander Mirza.

i dont know how you are so sure suhrawardy had less bengali genes than mirza. but then we can debate over the issue of who instigated riots in kolkata when they visited there. as far as i know it was another west pakistani misstrust issue over our leaders. u surely have different ideology than mine. i have already got two of my posts deleted by two moderators. i have seen people writing way irrelevant things than mine and nobody deleted them. I think anything i write here would be cut off now:)

Zakir bhai, what does "ahsan faramoshi" mean?

Jinnah actually started the rift with his infamous Dhaka University speech where he directly wrote off Bangla from the possibility of having national status.

Back
Top Bottom