What's new

Why was the Awami League not allowed to form government in 1971?

roadrunner

Reaction score
It came up in another thread, and so it's best to put this theory to rest once and for all. Awami League was not allowed to form government in 1971, because it broke the Legal Framework Order that was established for the elections. Therefore it legally needed to amend its 6-points before taking its position in government. Any objections?

Can you explain how the party violated the LFO and what were the six-points? I have next to no knowledge of this (no thanks to redundant Pakistan studies courses over the years).

The Legal Framework Order, 1970

Article 20
The Constitution shall be so framed as to embody the following fundamental principles:-
(1) Pakistan shall be a federal republic to be known as the Islamic Republic of Pakistan in which the provinces and other territories which are now and may hereinafter be included in Pakistan shall be so united in a federation that the independence, the territorial integrity and the national solidarity of Pakistan are ensured and that the unity of the federation in not in any manner impaired.

Would this 'point' of Mujib have impaired the economic unity of the federation?

• Furthermore, a separate banking reserve should be established and separate fiscal and monetary policy be adopted for East Pakistan.

So until Mujib changed some of his 6 points calling for separate states/institutions, he was breaking the Legal Framework Order, and therefore he was an illegitimate winner of the elections.

How do you differentiate between pre election rhetoric to post election actions? Huckabee wants to get rid of the IRS - but you know and I know that it wont happen even if he becomes president. (Like the BJP in India promising 'uniform civil code' if it comes to power - well it came to power and was there for five years and did 'zero').

Yes politicians make all kinds of promises but they can do very little after they get elected.

How do you differentiate between pre election rhetoric to post election actions? Huckabee wants to get rid of the IRS - but you know and I know that it wont happen even if he becomes president. (Like the BJP in India promising 'uniform civil code' if it comes to power - well it came to power and was there for five years and did 'zero').

Yes politicians make all kinds of promises but they can do very little after they get elected.

This is irrelevant.

The 6 point plan was the mandate of the Awami League. Before power was transferred to the Awami League, they had to change it. It was legal to prevent them because noone was allowed to be above the Legal Framework Order.

Well let's know what 6-points really were:

Six-point Programme a charter of demands enunciated by the awami league for removing disparity between the two wings of Pakistan and bring to an end the internal colonial rule of West Pakistan in East Bengal. The Indo-Pak War of 1965 ended with the execution of Taskent Treaty. To the old grievances of economic disparity added the complain of negligence and indifference of central government towards the defence of East Pakistan. Bangabandhu sheikh mujibur rahman was vocal on this issue.

The leaders of the opposition parties of West Pakistan convened a national convention at Lahore on 6 February 1966 with a view to ascertain the post-Taskent political trend. Bangabandhu reached Lahore on 4 February along with the top leaders of Awami League, and the day following he placed the Six-point Charter of demand before the subject committee as the demands of the people of East Pakistan. He created pressure to include his proposal in the agenda of the conference. They rejected the proposal of Bangabandhu. On the following day the newspapers of West Pakistan published reports on the Six-point programme, and Sheikh Mujibur Rahman was projected as a separatist. Consequently Sheikh Mujib abandoned the conference.

The Six-point programme along with a proposal of movement for the realisation of the demands was placed before the meeting of the working committee of Awami League on 21 February 1966, and the proposal was carried out unanimously. A booklet on the Six-point Programme with introduction from Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujib and Tajuddin Ahmad was published. Another booklet entitled 'Amader Banchar Dabi : 6-dafa Karmasuchi' (Our demands for existence : 6-points Programme) was published in the name of Sheikh Mujibur Rahman, and was distributed in the council meeting of Awami League held on 18 March 1966.

Six points

The constitution should provide for a Federation of Pakistan in its true sense on the Lahore Resolution and the parliamentary form of government with supremacy of a Legislature directly elected on the basis of universal adult franchise.

The federal government should deal with only two subjects : Defence and Foreign Affairs, and all other residuary subjects shall be vested in the federating states.

Two separate, but freely convertible currencies for two wings should be introduced ; or if this is not feasible, there should be one currency for the whole country, but effective constitutional provisions should be introduced to stop the flight of capital from East to West Pakistan. Furthermore, a separate Banking Reserve should be established and separate fiscal and monetary policy be adopted for East Pakistan.

The power of taxation and revenue collection shall be vested in the federating units and the federal centre will have no such power. The federation will be entitled to a share in the state taxes to meet its expenditures.

There should be two separate accounts for the foreign exchange earnings of the two wings ; the foreign exchange requirements of the federal government should be met by the two wings equally or in a ratio to be fixed; indigenous products should move free of duty between the two wings, and the constitution should empower the units to establish trade links with foreign countries.

East Pakistan should have a separate militia or paramilitary force.

The opposition leaders of West Pakistan looked at Mujib's Six-point Programme as a device to disband Pakistan, and hence they outright rejected his proposal. The Ayub government arrested him and put him on trial what is known as agartala conspiracy case. The case led to widespread agitation in East Pakistan culminating in the mass uprising of early 1969. Under public pressure, government was forced to release him unconditionally on 22 February 1969.

The Awami League sought public mandate in favour of the six point programme in the general elections of 1970 in which Mujib received the absolute mandate from the people of East Pakistan in favour of his six point. But Zulfiqar Ali Bhuttu refused to join the session of the National Assembly scheduled to be held on 3 March 1971 unless a settlement was reached between the two leaders beforehand. Sheikh Mujibur Rahman and his party sat in a protracted dialogue from 15 March 1971. The dialogue failed to produce any positive result. The army crackdown of 25 March sealed the fate of the six point including the fate of Pakistan.

This 6-points were proposed because there was discrimination against Bengalis in both East and West Pakistan.All high ranking jobs were given to Punjabis.Although East Pakistan was more industrialized and earned more foreign currencies than west,little was done in East in terms of infrastructure and all.

This 6-points were proposed because there was discrimination against Bengalis in both East and West Pakistan.All high ranking jobs were given to Punjabis.Although East Pakistan was more industrialized and earned more foreign currencies than west,little was done in East in terms of infrastructure and all.

This is not a valid argument.

Investment in Pakistan was mainly private investment.

The Pakistani government does not control private investment.

Example. Adamjee jute mill in East Pakistan. Money from the sale of jute went to Adamjee, but Adamjee lived in West Pakistan. So the money that East Pakistan produced was not all government money. Much of it was private investors money. This private investment has nothing to do with the government and it's the right of te investor not to reinvest it into East Pakistan.

You say that East Pakistan earned more foreign currency than West Pakistan. That's fine. The money produced by this private investment goes to the owner of the investment. Answer me this question.

I am sitting in Atafu with $1,000,000. I decide to invest my foreign currency into East Pakistan to build a jute mill. I build a jute mill, and then employ East Pakistanis into my mill. It produces lots of money and I get all the money. I pay my workers. Now why should I use the rest of that money to spend on infrastructure for East Pakistan? It is my money, I can do with it as I please.

As for the government of Pakistan investing into the infrastructure of East Pakistan. You have said yourself that the infrastructure of East Pakistan was better than West Pakistan after Partition. Therefore, should the Government of Pakistan not have tried to equal out the two wing's infrastructure so both sets of people have the same opportunities? Why should East Pakistanis have had all the best schools?

Which high ranking jobs were given to Punjabis? Were'nt there more East Pakistani prime ministers of Pakistan than Punjabi ones?

Last edited:
Six points

The constitution should provide for a Federation of Pakistan in its true sense on the Lahore Resolution and the parliamentary form of government with supremacy of a Legislature directly elected on the basis of universal adult franchise.

The federal government should deal with only two subjects : Defence and Foreign Affairs, and all other residuary subjects shall be vested in the federating states.

Two separate, but freely convertible currencies for two wings should be introduced ; or if this is not feasible, there should be one currency for the whole country, but effective constitutional provisions should be introduced to stop the flight of capital from East to West Pakistan. Furthermore, a separate Banking Reserve should be established and separate fiscal and monetary policy be adopted for East Pakistan.

The power of taxation and revenue collection shall be vested in the federating units and the federal centre will have no such power. The federation will be entitled to a share in the state taxes to meet its expenditures.

There should be two separate accounts for the foreign exchange earnings of the two wings ; the foreign exchange requirements of the federal government should be met by the two wings equally or in a ratio to be fixed; indigenous products should move free of duty between the two wings, and the constitution should empower the units to establish trade links with foreign countries.
6.East Pakistan should have a separate militia or paramilitary force.

The opposition leaders of West Pakistan looked at Mujib's Six-point Programme as a device to disband Pakistan, and hence they outright rejected his proposal. The Ayub government arrested him and put him on trial what is known as agartala conspiracy case. The case led to widespread agitation in East Pakistan culminating in the mass uprising of early 1969. Under public pressure, government was forced to release him unconditionally on 22 February 1969.

The Awami League sought public mandate in favour of the six point programme in the general elections of 1970 in which Mujib received the absolute mandate from the people of East Pakistan in favour of his six point. But Zulfiqar Ali Bhuttu refused to join the session of the National Assembly scheduled to be held on 3 March 1971 unless a settlement was reached between the two leaders beforehand. Sheikh Mujibur Rahman and his party sat in a protracted dialogue from 15 March 1971. The dialogue failed to produce any positive result. The army crackdown of 25 March sealed the fate of the six point including the fate of Pakistan.

Read those six points. Do you think that the "unity of the Federation" would have remained intact, had he implemented schemes such as taking away all powers from the Government of Pakistan (except in defence and foreign affairs), and leaving each federal province to govern itself.

Do you not believe that this was basically breaking up Pakistan into 5 self governing provinces?

Read those six points. Do you think that the "unity of the Federation" would have remained intact, had he implemented schemes such as taking away all powers from the Government of Pakistan (except in defence and foreign affairs), and leaving each federal province to govern itself.

Do you not believe that this was basically breaking up Pakistan into 5 self governing provinces?

Yet AWAMI league was elected,doesn't that mean people of East Pakistan agreed to the six-points??In a democracy don't you think people's choice should come first??

Well let's know what 6-points really were:

Six points

East Pakistan should have a separate militia or paramilitary force.

1.the point says it all,
The constitution should provide for a Federation of Pakistan in its true sense
does this sound like dividing Pakistan to you????

If I was a scholar on this may be I could have discussed all the topics.

It came up in another thread, and so it's best to put this theory to rest once and for all. Awami League was not allowed to form government in 1971, because it broke the Legal Framework Order that was established for the elections. Therefore it legally needed to amend its 6-points before taking its position in government. Any objections?

LFO itself was the core of disagreement on the whole issue. Nobody wanted to participate in the election under LFO in East Pakistan but Sheikh Mujib. Sheikh Mujib just wanted to legitimate his demand through election not to abide by the LFO. LFO itself is non democratic and a sick idea invented by west pakistani leaders and army. The then power house should have arranged an unconditional election and handover power to a democratically elected government and let them decide on how the country should run and the future constitution. If there were a democratic practice since 1948, there would not have any six point demand.

Why was the Awami League not allowed to form goverment in 1971?

The question needs comprehensive answer. I think in order to get a comprehensive answer to this question people of both countries need to show the willingness and a bold approach towards this.

The main problem was that those elections were held under hostile circumstances and no one was willing to accept other as a representative or the right to form the government at the center. Also, during those times the political leadership of both East & West Pakistan were not mature enough to show the will or ability to lead the nation.

They say it takes two to make a quarrel. It happened after those elections.

The reasons are 1) Awamai League's reputation as patriotic party of undivided Pakistan and 2) the stubborn attitude of West Pakistani army generals and politicians.

LFO itself was the core of disagreement on the whole issue. Nobody wanted to participate in the election under LFO in East Pakistan but Sheikh Mujib. Sheikh Mujib just wanted to legitimate his demand through election not to abide by the LFO. LFO itself is non democratic and a sick idea invented by west pakistani leaders and army. The then power house should have arranged an unconditional election and handover power to a democratically elected government and let them decide on how the country should run and the future constitution. If there were a democratic practice since 1948, there would not have any six point demand.

If LFO was not legitimate, then the whole election was illegal.

You cannot have it both ways.

If you want the elections to be legal, you have to accept the LFO.

And the 6-point plan was illegal because it went against the LFO.

Either way, from a legal point of view, the 6 point plan was not implementable, and Mujib wasn't allowed to take power because he threatened to implement it.

Haven't I proved the 6 point plan was illegal? Or didn't you understand it?

These issues have been discussed to death. Why are they being brought up now? I am suspicious that some Bangladeshis are trying to break up the new harmony between Pakistan and Bangladesh. Lets face it most Bangladeshis like me were born after 1971 and for most teens today 1971 is a mere historical curiosity. I know this because I teach and I have been incapable of creating any interest over 1971 in my students who are more concerned about getting jobs and making big money.

This issue is further irrelevant because Sheikh Mujib was prepared to compromise on the 6 points but Bhutto prevented any progress. Sheikh Mujib himself was forced to adopt the 6 points by some student leaders. Some simply wanted a one point demand.

Whatever the debate on the six points it provides a lesson. At that time the Bengalis of East Pakistan did not want to be dominated. The same applies now and India is now the target of our anger. Bangladeshis should not lose sight of the trouble India is causing Bangladesh.

Indira Gandhi gave the Mujibnagar government a 7 point demand which was accepted by Prime Minister Nazrul Islam and accepted by Sheikh Mujib. This seven points would have made Bangladesh a vassal state of India and we would have no army since India would provide us with security. In other words Bangladesh would have become a province of India. Did Bangladeshis die in 1971 to become slaves of India? Why do you think the freedom fighters turned against Shiekh Mujib and killed him?

Back
Top Bottom