fatman17

PDF THINK TANK: CONSULTANT
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Why the army will have to go into North Waziristan

By Imtiaz Gul
Published: July 15, 2011

Entire American establishment believes Haqqani network exports terror to Afghan and needs to be crushed by Pakistan Army.

ISLAMABAD:
Shortly before leaving Kabul, General David Petraeus, the outgoing chief commander of the US-Isaf troops, referred to Pakistan Army’s long-overdue operation in Kurram and the trans-border movement by Afghan militants and their TTP affiliates as “North Waziristan in Reverse.”

He tossed the phrase in the presence of other Isaf representatives, suggesting that North Waziristan would have to be the Pakistan Army’s next destination – a place that the US abhors due to the presence of an al Qaeda-inspired militant conglomerate, presumably protected by the Haqqani network. The entire American establishment believes this network exports terror to the Afghan soil and thus needs to be crushed by the Pakistan Army – something that the latter has thus far resisted. American exhortations in this regard have been shunned using multiple, and at times incomprehensible, reasons embedded in issues such as ‘capacity’ and ‘social milieu’.

But, over 10 weeks since the surprise termination of Osama bin Laden and relations with the United States appearing to have hit rock-bottom, the narrative on North Waziristan seems to be changing. The situation in Kurram and the cross-border attacks on security posts in Bajaur and Dir in the last two weeks necessitated a “geographical military activity” in North Waziristan.

Highly-placed military officials now tell us that the recently-launched operation in the embattled and isolated Kurram Agency was a move to “plug all the holes” before taking on militants of all hue holed up in North Waziristan.

The initial target of the “geographical operation” is the area around the mountains that separate North and South Waziristan. Initial targets include Shawal and Makeen, where the Tehreek-i-Taliban Pakistan (TTP), the avowed enemy number one of the state of Pakistan, took refuge after the army dislocated them from the Mehsud regions of Laddha, Makeen and Sararogha in October/November 2009. Other obvious targets include Miramshah, the administrative headquarters of North Waziristan, Dattakhel and particularly Mirali, considered to be a bee-hive housing the TTP, Islamic Movement of Uzbekistan and Lashkar-e-Jhangvi, usually referred to as the Punjabi Taliban.

Apparently opposed to a full-scale military offensive in North Waziristan, and prisoner of a bloated ego, the military, under the burden of circumstances, has opted to call its activity in Shawal “geographical operation”, rather than a full-scale or even a selective operation.

But let us face reality: Whatever spin and name, the American pressure and the countrywide censure of the military in the aftermath of the Bin Laden affair, has finally done the trick. The much-awaited military movement against radical, al Qaeda-linked militants is now under way – albeit without a major declaration to the effect.

However selective, the military is now gradually on the move in North Waziristan to hunt the enemy, and this deserves appreciation rather than scorn and scepticism. But, based on the ground realities in North Waziristan, which adjoins the entire greater Paktia region – home to the Haqqanis’ Zadran tribe – the belated crackdown also requires a national consensus, plenty of patience and understanding for several reasons.

Firstly, while the decision to embark on a selective offensive against al Qaeda marks a clear attempt to mend the fractured relationship with the United States, it, hopefully, also underscores a new realism within the military establishment: The refusal to crackdown on all Arab-African, Afghan and Pakistani affiliates of the Haqqani network – in fact the network itself – holds no water any more. The circumstances surrounding Pakistan simply demand a definite move against all those elements that are – directly or otherwise – a source of attacks on the interests of the state of Pakistan.

Secondly, any direct assault on the Haqqanis and affiliates in North Waziristan means stoking a bee-hive of all those who are already filled with a sense of betrayal by the erstwhile security institutions, and who, by implication, have become foot-soldiers for al Qaeda and are more than eager to peddle and promote the kind of terrorism that Bin Laden and Ayman Al Zawahiri stand for.

Any assault – or even limited confrontation with some or all of these militant outfits – will almost certainly trigger a reaction in mainland Pakistan – meaning cities such as Peshawar, Mardan, some southern districts of Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa such as DI Khan and Kohat, as well as Rawalpindi and Lahore. By implication, we should all anticipate, and be ready for, the kind of violence that Pakistanis suffered in the aftermath of the Lal Masjid operation in 2007, or the terror attacks in the last half of 2009. Thirdly, and this point flows from the second element which had held the army back from a crackdown in North Waziristan, the ensuing violence is likely to herald a new wave of uncertainty and instability across the country. The military establishment was already unsure, given the wobbly political landscape, whether the civilian government would be able to absorb shockwaves produced by an al Qaeda-inspired onslaught.

Security agencies fear that supporters of al Qaeda and its Pakistani auxiliaries might set off a new wave of terror if their mentors in North Waziristan were attacked.

Fourthly, the Haqqanis enjoy the reputation of being “strategic assets” of the Pakistani military establishment.

Fifth, a peace accord, signed on February 17, 2008, still holds true for North Waziristan, where people like Hafiz Gul Bahadur and Maulvi Sadiq Noor – both close friends of the Haqqanis – act as guarantors. Any unilateral action by the army would amount to a breach and thus might even result in adverse reactions by Bahadur and Noor.

As a whole, the advance on North Waziristan is fraught with risks. But what is obvious is that, sooner or later, Pakistan will have to face up to them for its long-term interest. History suggests that short-term pains must be taken to preempt long-term socio-political disasters. The antidote for the conglomerate of religiously-driven militants is a conclusive official campaign – free of fear or favour. Therein lies the long-term salvation of Pakistan and this is why a military advance in North Waziristan is inevitable – regardless of how the security establishment characterises it.

Published in The Express Tribune, July 15th, 2011.

The author highlights 5 reasons for not going into NWA - but of course the biggest reason is because we are unwilling to hold, unwilling to extend political rights and government services

However, the author agrees that the longer we don't act the greater the danger - one wonders if army strategists had consider this before making NWA AQ/TTP central

The army needs to go into Kunnar first and then we can tackle NWA.

Another important aspect of the US-Pakistan relationship is that Pakistan is 'hedging its bets' in the WOT. This is not necessarily a bad thing. Pakistan's strategy is to collaborate with the US on the WOT, to get the US out of the region the way the US wants to. The US wants to dismantle the terror networks inside Pakistan's FATA, & Pakistan is collaborating with the US on that. Pakistan wants to assist the US in dismantling the terror networks of the region. However, Pakistan's current strategy is also devised/caters for the scenario in which the US fails to dismantle the terror networks in the region, as Pakistan has to live in the neighborhood post 2014, which the US doesn't. That is what I mean by hedging its bets. Hence, there is nothing wrong with what Pakistan is doing, as it caters for both the scenarios (whether the US succeeds or fails in dismantling the terror networks in the region). The US unfortunately does not have a clear strategy, & the current one is too inflexible & one-dimensional.

Pakistan has made it clear that it is unwilling to do things that will jeopardize the position of the country if the US fails to dismantle the terror networks in the region. However, Pakistan does not want to impediment the US operations in the region either, & is willing to collaborate with the US to dismantle the terror networks in the region (please read my previous posts). Pakistan is just not ready to put all its eggs in one basket, which the US wants Pakistan to do, & some people don't like that about Pakistan.

There are certain pros and cons of conducting an op in NWA.
Pros:
1) It serves as the only remaining haven for TTP in Pakistan.
2) It is a major source of infiltration of terrorists to and from Afghanistan.
3) Weaponry and drugs also travel through NWA.
4) The TTP are exercising complete control over NWA, a parallel govt must be disabled.
5) It is right-now a "No-Go Area", providing refuge for any fugitives.
6) Taxation and conscription in NWA are important sources of funding and man-power for TTP.

Cons:
1) Our forces are stretched out thin, NWA op will be a major strain on the Army's resources.
2) NWA Op will upset our relations with Haqqanis who are involved in dialogue with the GoP and GoA, ISAF was also prty to the talks but I hear they pulled out.
3) Rebuilding NWA will also divide funding from other post-op areas in FATA.

Among others.........

So long as terrorists have NW as safe heaven International Community will continue to criticize Pakistan (rightfully so) and America will have full right to use dronewali code - Re: Those who oppose it these mf idiots don't realize that we don't have much time one more incident like 9/11 and Pakistan will be fu@ked and cluster bombed by US and all that Jazba will break like a house of cards in matter of hours when you will hear B2 buzzing above your house dropping Jdam on your a$$.

I have to come to expect such low value posts from you and frankly. I am not surprised, at the level of your mental capability this probably seems like the most probable option.
Nothing personal.....................

what you have discussed are just Strengths and Weaknesses', if the Establishment gets paid why wouldnot they? when they would overcome their weaknesses, what would stop them ?? you ? me ? or the political leadership?

what is the price of our services, thats the only dispute...

is Pasha back, by the way?

So long as terrorists have NW as safe heaven International Community will continue to criticize Pakistan (rightfully so) and America will have full right to use dronewali code - Re: Those who oppose it these mf idiots don't realize that we don't have much time one more incident like 9/11 and Pakistan will be fu@ked and cluster bombed by US and all that Jazba will break like a house of cards in matter of hours when you will hear B2 buzzing above your house dropping Jdam on your a$$.

U have made a very valuable point sir, any terrorist attack in US if finds to have roots in NW will have severe consequences for pakistan. And the whole world would be behind the US. So better to get rid of these scums.

There are certain pros and cons of conducting an op in NWA.
Pros:
1) It serves as the only remaining haven for TTP in Pakistan.
2) It is a major source of infiltration of terrorists to and from Afghanistan.
3) Weaponry and drugs also travel through NWA.
4) The TTP are exercising complete control over NWA, a parallel govt must be disabled.
5) It is right-now a "No-Go Area", providing refuge for any fugitives.
6) Taxation and conscription in NWA are important sources of funding and man-power for TTP.

Cons:
1) Our forces are stretched out thin, NWA op will be a major strain on the Army's resources.
2) NWA Op will upset our relations with Haqqanis who are involved in dialogue with the GoP and GoA, ISAF was also prty to the talks but I hear they pulled out.
3) Rebuilding NWA will also divide funding from other post-op areas in FATA.

Among others.........

In a nutshell, Pak Army is being paid to go into NW, hence to hell with the pros and cons just follow the damn orders.

I have to come to expect such low value posts from you and frankly. I am not surprised, at the level of your mental capability this probably seems like the most probable option.
Nothing personal.....................

I tell you this! Don't reply to posts like these! You just gave attention to someone lol. anyways now game is different! All who are sitting on this forum didn't come to real game plan! I miss our old members who would post things before they would pass my nerve system :) Well i think game is bigger and dirty, As we all know that Pakistani people are being fooled by many politicians some are traitors like zardari and nawaz and some are naive! i won't say naive politician name! Well what i believe that Pakistan is being told by one politician that Pakistan can survive without aid or IMF and world bank which is totally rubbish, no country in the world can survive without these programs especially again especially third world countries, We are told that we have resources but what are we gonna do with them if we have a ban to sell from UN? who will buy them? country like USA which has the 100% tax collection system has 25% GDP from tax revenues, rest is exports! and we Pakistan which is a nation which has less then 10% tax collection towards GDP revenue is being told that we can stand on our own? well let's move forward, Even if we collect 100% tax this will max become 20% of our GDP then how will do business when world won't do business with us? Don't tell me that Muslim world will do business with us!! now going to next point, this is all check by USA, now situation is that USA cut the aid to Pakistan and on the contrary dropped 11 hell fire in these days to show that even if we don't pay we will still bomb those areas and if you wanna stop us then bring your anti aircraft guns and fighter jets! and as we all know that our army has admitted that we can't fight off USA let alone Pakistan i don't think anyone can fight off USA alone and i mean no country in this world alone. now having said that someone has to be realistic and decide carefully! on the other side when USA cut our aid and Pakistan threaten to pull back troops from afghan boarder! what do we see? :) yes we see 600 plus afghans raiding Pakistani tribal belt and attacking our security forces and civilians which is a message that " OK pull back your troops and we will bring war to Pakistani land and you will lose tribal belt totally! so what do we have here? We don't take aid yet we have to fight USA if we want drones to stop, second we can't pull back and threaten USA because we have afghans attacking us! third our ISI is on the verge to be declared as terrorist agency, third we have Americans beating the drums that Pakistani nukes are unsafe, and list goes on, so this leave us with no plan but to follow the same plan, All 100 days plans by PTI to PMLN all goes to waste because message is very clear that be prepare for worst if you don't wanna do as we say, in this scenario one has to be smart and get strong instead of trying to fight and lose what you even have.

Pakistan MILITARY is being forced by other Nations to kill terrorist that attack and destroy Pakistan how much more focked up do u think it can get.

In a nutshell, Pak Army is being paid to go into NW, hence to hell with the pros and cons just follow the damn orders.

Yeah we have to raise our families, GoP pays us regardless of whether we manage a Golf Course in Multan or fight the Taliban in NWA.

P.S: I'm an analyst, It's my job to go over the Pros and Cons, play the entire operation like a chess game. Derive all possible outcomes for it and then present all likely scenarios to the PA. Then when I go in, it's to see how well they are sticking to my game plan.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom