What's new

why soviet withdrawal from afghanistan

Nomad16

Reaction score
Country
Canada
this is thread is not open for every one im asking this questions from guys whom are expert of these matters i hop you people wont turn it to troll thread

@vostok i think you are my only friend among the Russians :D since you knwo a lot about Russian military i ask this question from you why Soviet didn't destroy Taliban in Afghanistan ? the only country who can fight you back is usa than how group of armed people can do this ?? they have nothing no tank no jet no helicopters soviet's throw doesn't make sense

cos of economy and there internal problems..not to say pakistan and usa/ksa...

cos of economy and there internal problems..not to say pakistan and usa/ksa...
yea i know than the was long for 9 years this wasn't what i mean . what is im asking why taliban could last so long surly soviet can destroy them in 4-5 day ! they have nothing

It seems you are trying to start a troll thread.
Don't forget that there were no Taliban at that time and just some religious groups. Also they were getting help from Pakistan as well as Israel.

yea i know than the was long for 9 years this wasn't what i mean . what is im asking why taliban could last so long surly soviet can destroy them in 4-5 day ! they have nothing
In that particular time the Afghan economy was almost entirely dependent on Moscow’s aid. In 1953, domestic revenue had funded 93% of Afghan expenditures. Ten years later, domestic revenue funded only 38% of 16 state expenditures.32 By 1979, Afghanistan received more than $1 billion in economic aid.33 The Soviets used Afghan natural gas for their own purposes. Soviet import statistics showed a quadrupling in value of gas from 33.7 billion rubles in 1978 to 134.9 billion in 1980.

The Soviet authorities offered several reasons for invading Afghanistan. First, the Soviet leaders believed that after Washington lost its influence in Iran, it would plan to turn Afghanistan into its anti-Soviet outpost in Central Asia. But perhaps the primary reason for invading Afghanistan for Leonid Brezhnev and his companions was to reach the warm seas.37 By achieving that political object, the Soviets would get closer to the oilfields in Iran and Saudi Arabia.

Soon after the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan, however, the situation became worse. The Soviets expected that the Afghan people would accept the new government led by the Afghan communist party backed by the Soviet Union, but these expectations were totally unrealistic. This Puppet government was considered to be illegitimate by the Afghan population. Only a small number of pro-Soviet communists were supportive of the communist regime. Despite the fact that the Soviets had limited military objectives, the Afghans perceived the military intervention to be an act of occupation.

Last edited:
this is thread is not open for every one im asking this questions from guys whom are expert of these matters i hop you people wont turn it to troll thread

@vostok i think you are my only friend among the Russians :D since you knwo a lot about Russian military i ask this question from you why Soviet didn't destroy Taliban in Afghanistan ? the only country who can fight you back is usa than how group of armed people can do this ?? they have nothing no tank no jet no helicopters soviet's throw doesn't make sense
USSR army cope with the tasks assigned to it . Complete destruction of the Taliban was impossible, because the forces of the Mujahideen were constantly replenished with new troops , trained in terrorist camps of CIA. Plus - dimensionless funding, best military and intelligense consultants form Britain and USA, constant replenishment of ammunition.
Soviet retreat from Afghanistan was not due to military factors , but political . Gorbachev - agent of the West, Judas . He reatreted not only from Afghanistan but from all Eastern Bloc countries . Gorbachev destroyed the Eastern Bloc and the Great Russia - USSR.
However , the Soviets in Afghanistan were really trying to help ordinary Afghans - working and peasants . We built factories , homes , hospitals, schools . And Americans are engaged in the cultivation of opium, training of terrorists and destroying of remnants of medicine, the health care and industry in Afghanistan.

USSR army cope with the tasks assigned to it . Complete destruction of the Taliban was impossible, because the forces of the Mujahideen were constantly replenished with new troops , trained in terrorist camps of CIA. Plus - dimensionless funding, best military and intelligense consultants form Britain and USA, constant replenishment of ammunition.
Soviet retreat from Afghanistan was not due to military factors , but political . Gorbachev - agent of the West, Judas . He reatreted not only from Afghanistan but from all Eastern Bloc countries . Gorbachev destroyed the Eastern Bloc and the Great Russia - USSR.
However , the Soviets in Afghanistan were really trying to help ordinary Afghans - working and peasants . We built factories , homes , hospitals, schools . And Americans are engaged in the cultivation of opium, training of terrorists and destroying of remnants of medicine, the health care and industry in Afghanistan.

I think it was due
All the world against the USSR
& is that true when you started to retreat you were this close to destroying Taliban

@faisal6309
dude i know little about that war i call them taliban cuz idk what to call them ! btw afghanistan dont have gas so i wonder how soviet whom has the greatest gas field on it's soil to use it for it's own purposes :o:

this is all i know about afghanistan

1- there was afghan gov call for help from soviet
2 - soviet arrived in afghanistan and fight mujahedin or taliban or what ever they were called
3 - after 9 years soviet retreat

i know the west help them but they dont have real army , you are telling me a group of people armed with ak-47 and RPG fight with soviet ? :o:

btw i didn't know about Gorbachev retreat i thought mujahidin really defeat Soviet ty for info

Decision to withdraw from Afghanistan was mainly political and part of general soviet withdrawal strategy from contested areas. Gorbachev was trying to build a softer image of soviet union and normalise relations with China and west but Chinese demanded soviet withdrawal from Afghanistan. Along with Afghanistan soviets also withdrew from Mongolia, made Cuba end insurgency in Angola and stopped Vietnam from invading Cambodia.

Back
Top Bottom