What's new

Why Pakistan's Shan masalas have a cult following in India

Indian sikh restaraunt owner was bragging to me about using Shan masala and how it’s the reason for all the business he gets.
It couldn't get more pathetic that he had to resort to using store bought masalas instead of making his own...that's shows his incompetency. Again, I'm not saying Shan is bad...infact they're some of the best when it comes to certain non-veg stuff, particularly the recipes native to pakistan but off-the-shelf stuff is not something you'd use in restaurants if you want your food to taste authentic. Either the restaurant is run by rookies and there's isn't good desi crowd around since goras could hardly make out the difference

Fortunately the Pakistani restaurant here in Brisbane is awesome especially
Nashta
Nihari
And paye :cheesy: and they also use custom spices
Would love to see more of them especially on the coast where I live.
I've only been to one good Pakistani restaurant during my stay in Chicago which was actually a small family outlet where the mom does all the cooking. The mom was Pakistani while husband was from India's Hyderabad, someone who belonged to the Nawab's clan. But the menu was completely pakistani. The other Pakistani restaurants that I've been to kinda sucked, they tasted like they aren't freshly cooked. Also, I know this is a Pakistani thing but I just couldn't get my head around using potatoes in murgh or gosht biryanis

It couldn't get more pathetic that he had to resort to using store bought masalas instead of making his own...that's shows his incompetency. Again, I'm not saying Shan is bad...infact they're some of the best when it comes to certain non-veg stuff, particularly the recipes native to pakistan but off-the-shelf stuff is not something you'd use in restaurants if you want your food to taste authentic. Either the restaurant is run by rookies and there's isn't good desi crowd around since goras could hardly make out the difference

I've only been to one good Pakistani restaurant during my stay in Chicago which was actually a small family outlet where the mom does all the cooking. The mom was Pakistani while husband was from India's Hyderabad, someone who belonged to the Nawab's clan. But the menu was completely pakistani. The other Pakistani restaurants that I've been to kinda sucked, they tasted like they aren't freshly cooked. Also, I know this is a Pakistani thing but I just couldn't get my head around using potatoes in murgh or gosht biryanis

His cooks are all Mexicans. :lol:

His cooks are all Mexicans. :lol:
That says it all. It's more like the self proclaimed mexican restaurants you see in India or Pak and expecting them to taste authentic mexican.

Desis wouldn't prefer such restaurants unless they're out of choice or his customer base is predominantly non-desi

That says it all. It's more like the self proclaimed mexican restaurants you see in India or Pak and expecting them to taste authentic mexican.

Desis wouldn't prefer such restaurants unless they're out of choice or his customer base is predominantly non-desi

Indian restaurant clientele is always non desi. Mostly white. On the other hand, Pakistani authentic hole in the wall places will have mixed clientele and that too mostly cabbies that want something while they are working.

Pakistanis, Indians, and Bangladeshis eat from home in the US. And on the off chance they want to eat outside, they will try something else, because they already get enough of their cooking from home.

Indian restaurant clientele is always non desi. Mostly white. On the other hand, Pakistani authentic hole in the wall places will have mixed clientele and that too mostly cabbies that want something while they are working.

Pakistanis, Indians, and Bangladeshis eat from home in the US. And on the off chance they want to eat outside, they will try something else, because they already get enough of their cooking from home.
It really depends on where you're living. Your statement holds true for some of the older desi settlements like NJ's Edison & Jersey City, NYC, Chicago's Devon Ave etc

Check out Bay Area, Seattle, Dallas and other Texas cities, LA, suburbs of Chicago like Naperville/Schaumburg, Atlanta and other new Indian settlements where you'd see Indian restaurants are packed with desi crowd. Most folks who aren't married still opt to go to Indian restaurants. Me, my roommates and friends either visit or order take-out from Indian restaurants atleast once a week

Last edited:
Indian food and Pakistan food are totally different. We have many different dishes, the ones with similar names (Mughlai) also are different in taste and ingredients.

National and Shaan masala packets are catered towards Pakistani foods, which in general are more meat-based dishes based on traditional cultures of Pakistan.

For example, I really like some biryani, tikka, kabuli pulao, and kashmiri masala packets to cook with in my free time for fun.

I eat mostly Arabic, Turkish, and Pakistani Chinese food outside. For our traditional dishes, I prefer home food. However when on travel, I will stop by some famous restaurants too.

For quick chai and some snack, also it is the best to visit Pakistani places. Most of the Pakistani owners are friendly and talkative guys also. When they hear I am from Faisalabad, usually they go over the moon and have so much to say.

Last edited:
Our families like Shan , as they are spicier than other brand. We pay 1.49 dollar for a packet 50 grams.

346234.xx_large.jpg

841-02824194em-kewra-salt-mines-pakistan-asia-stock-photo.jpg

himalayan-pink-salt-crystal-100g.jpg

khewra-salt-mine.jpg

right.

but do try some Chunky Chat Masala from MDH if you ever get the chance though !

not used in the cooking process, it's an 'after the fact' use product only.. sprinkle a wee bit on your desi tikkas and salads to begin with and see if it's your thing.

chicken-tikka_650x400_71502696435.jpg
I dont know my friend, i just sprinkle with sumac or cumin grind or dried mango powder.

They have never tried National.. Shan just has done well as a marketed business.

Our families like Shan , as they are spicier than other brand. We pay 1.49 dollar for a packet 50 grams.

346234.xx_large.jpg

841-02824194em-kewra-salt-mines-pakistan-asia-stock-photo.jpg

himalayan-pink-salt-crystal-100g.jpg

khewra-salt-mine.jpg

Do not waste money. Buy from Costco, it's made in Pakistan!
I've used it and contributed to Pakistani economy.
imageService

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom