What's new

Why no declassification of Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose files?

Through an Interpreter they said that the Japanese had taken them to Wewak more than two years ago. They had been forced to make roads, unload ships, and carry supplies through the jungle.

Their treatment became worse as provisions ran low.

Beaten and ill-treated, some escaped and began waging guerilla warfare on the Japanese.

At night they would creep down and stab sentries. One Indian accounted for 60 Japanese.

"The Japanese would not give us food-no rice, no fish, no clothes," they said. "When Indians got sick the Japanese began to eat the Indians."

Japanese, they added, bayoneted the sick and practised cannibalism on them.

18 Jun 1945 - CANNIBALISM PRACTISED BY JAPANESE

10 Nov 1945 - Try Japanese for Cannibalism

10 Aug 1945 - Japanese Cannibalism.

so you tell me how that bald looking man aka Mohandas Gandhi is relevant in the present day politics of India but politicians still drag him in literally everything and even today our history books are full of his "so called" heroic struggles against the Brits.so if he is still relevant upto this day then i am quite sure that Netaji will also find relevance in the present day India,after all he has got a huge no. of followers among the younger generations and people still draw their inspirations from his selfless and relentless struggle to achieve our freedom against the mighty British empire......

the common Indian citizens have a right to know about the real story as we consider ourselves to be a liberal democracy.the GoI has a moral obligation to share the real story behind Netaji's disappearance with us.......
Go through my post again . you have not comprehended the point i was trying to make.

No Sir, it won't change anything in our daily routines. But there are two things which can justify the demands to unearth the truth about his mystic disappearance. The first one being the importance of historical studies about my own county. There are laborious excavations going on in Mogalmari,WB to find out the remains of Buddhist Monasteries during Gupta period. How does it help? Does it feed the poor? No.But It quenches the thirst of academicians of our period. Secondly, he is a national Hero, revered by people across this country, and Japan as well. The Japanese had deepest respect for two Indians, Rasbehari Bose and Subhash Chandra Bose due to their uncompromising patriotism. So, when millions of people wants to know what happened to their loved leader and why Government of India had played such dubious role in every enquiry commission, the sentiment must be respected which is not an abnormal demand in a democratic,civilized society. So,I disagree with you,sadly.
True that your right i feel differently . lets agree to disagree. :)

Through an Interpreter they said that the Japanese had taken them to Wewak more than two years ago. They had been forced to make roads, unload ships, and carry supplies through the jungle.

Their treatment became worse as provisions ran low.

Beaten and ill-treated, some escaped and began waging guerilla warfare on the Japanese.

At night they would creep down and stab sentries. One Indian accounted for 60 Japanese.

"The Japanese would not give us food-no rice, no fish, no clothes," they said. "When Indians got sick the Japanese began to eat the Indians."

18 Jun 1945 - CANNIBALISM PRACTISED BY JAPANESE

10 Nov 1945 - Try Japanese for Cannibalism

10 Aug 1945 - Japanese Cannibalism.

Horrible!

Horrible!

Did not know about this

You think someone could take it a step further and say "Japanese ate Netaji as well"?

And if this info is declassified, there will be anti-Japanese riots throughout India?

Just wondering

cannibalism was not an exclusively Japanese practice during World War II. Let's not turn the discussion in that way.

cannibalism was not an exclusively Japanese practice during World War II. Let's not turn the discussion in that way.

It was not just that, but apparently over 20,000 INA soldiers were taken to Rabaul in Papua New Guinea where most of them died building those tunnels and a whole lot of them got cannibalized. My pointer was that the reason given to not declassify those documents are that relationships between India and other countries could be hit, and apparently there has been a lot of wrong done to India, especially INA and Bose who unwittingly led Indians to this disaster.

Last edited:
I find a few claims regarding his actual fate very outlandish. How/Why would Nehru try to get him eliminated as many like to believe? Nehru himself was in prison till the end of WW2, and it wasn't until Lord Mountbatten assumed the Viceregal post that Nehru started finding favor with the British Regime. He was in no position to take any call on Netaji's fate in 1945.

Also, why would Netaji, who was a militant Nationalist, lead the rest of his life in India as a Sadhu/Sanyasi as another theory has us believe? Makes no sense whatsoever.

I still believe in the conventional theory about his death. I feel the legend behind his death has grown too strong for the Govt to convince the public that he died in a simple accident.This has led successive Governments to push for more time by constituting many silly committees. I'm afraid the public is in no mood to listen to anyone who says that Netaji died in a plane crash on that fateful day in 1945.

....especially INA and Bose who unwittingly led Indians to this disaster.

Thank you.

your well reasoned "out of the box thinking" is what most of lack and I mean severely lack.

We tend to follow our daddy's philosophy about the world and at most 5th grade history books that are approved by the government for its narrow aims.

What you have done here is to show the rest of us that we all need to grow up beyond that 5th grade history book.

Thank you

I find a few claims regarding his actual fate very outlandish. How/Why would Nehru try to get him eliminated as many like to believe? Nehru himself was in prison till the end of WW2, and it wasn't until Lord Mountbatten assumed the Viceregal post that Nehru started finding favor with the British Regime. He was in no position to take any call on Netaji's fate in 1945.

Also, why would Netaji, who was a militant Nationalist, lead the rest of his life in India as a Sadhu/Sanyasi as another theory has us believe? Makes no sense whatsoever.

I still believe in the conventional theory about his death. I feel the legend behind his death has grown too strong for the Govt to convince the public that he died in a simple accident.This has led successive Governments to push for more time by constituting many silly committees. I'm afraid the public is in no mood to listen to anyone who says that Netaji died in a plane crash on that fateful day in 1945.

Well said

Oh just one addition to your fantastic post (and not to take away the main thrust of your argument. Hopefully!)

Mountbatten was given the job as viceroy precisely because of his prior close relationship with Nehru during Malaya days.

let me know if this assertion is correct.

Thank you

Last edited:
Thank you.

your well reasoned "out of the box thinking" is what most of lack and I mean severely lack.

We tend to follow our daddy's philosophy about the world and at most 5th grade history books that are approved by the government for its narrow aims.

What you have done here is to show the rest of us that we all need to grow up beyond that 5th grade history book.

Thank you

Well said

Oh jut one addition to your fantastic post (and not to take away the main thrust of your argument. Hopefully!)

Mountbatten was given the job as viceroy precisely because of his prior close relationship with Nehru during Malaya days.

let me know if this assertion is correct.

Thank you
Thanks Fauj-bhai. Actually, I didn't know they had a friendship prior to him becoming the Viceroy.

Although, I certainly remember reading that Lord Mountbatten was favored by Clement Attlee precisely because of his open admiration of the Indian Freedom Struggle. Lord Mountbatten was viewed as a dangerous free-radical by his own administration before & during WW2 as far as his sympathies to the various freedom movements threatening the British Empire were concerned, isn't it?

Lord Mountbatten and Nehru certainly weren't strangers to each other, but actual friends before 1945, I don't know.

Thanks Fauj-bhai. Actually, I didn't know they had a friendship prior to him becoming the Viceroy.

Although, I certainly remember reading that Lord Mountbatten was favored by Clement Attlee precisely because of his open admiration of the Indian Freedom Struggle. Lord Mountbatten was viewed as a dangerous free-radical by his own administration before & during WW2 as far as his sympathies to the various freedom movements threatening the British Empire were concerned, isn't it?

Lord Mountbatten and Nehru certainly weren't strangers to each other, but actual friends before 1945, I don't know.

Not sure if he viewed Indian freedom movement as a "struggle".

Actually most of the British higher up never did as far back as 1910's

British could have handed over the full control to us back then

Reason!

Our region's fantastic army and overall ease with which we all adopted English language, education system, and system of government

Predecessor of Mountbatten was Gen/Lord Wavell

Both of them were admirers of British Indian Army

However Gen. Wavell was a bit tough headed army man who was ready to confront even the likes of Churchill.

Mountbatten on the other hand was more diplomatic and less General.

Based on my study

both Gandhi and Nehru asked British government to send Mountbatten as viceroy based on his diplomatic and easy going ways with the Indian leaders and especially Nehru from Malaya (Now Malaysia) days.

Malaya back then was British colony and thus managed by British Indian aka Desi police and army.

Naturally Mountbatten and British gov appreciated all that,

and Nehru like leaders were well liked as they all supported deployment of Desi police and army in these colonies.

peace

It was not just that, but apparently over 20,000 INA soldiers were taken to Rabaul in Papua New Guinea where most of them died building those tunnels and a whole lot of them got cannibalized. My pointer was that the reason given to not declassify those documents are that relationships between India and other countries could be hit, and apparently there has been a lot of wrong done to India, especially INA and Bose who unwittingly led Indians to this disaster.

Please, I would like to know more about it. How did a troop of war prisoners regrouped to fight for their home country was unwittingly leading "which"Indians to "which" disaster. You certainly have something to say which I had no idea of so far. And please also name a single politician of Netaji's calibre wittingly led Indians towards freedom.

@FaujHistorian

5th Grade history books do not teach illiterate Indians like me,these controversial topics. So you can please excuse my ignorance,at least for a while.

Last edited:
Please, I would like to know more about it. How did a troop of war prisoners regrouped to fight for their home country was unwittingly leading "which"Indians to "which" disaster. You certainly have something to say which I had no idea of so far. And please also name a single politician of Netaji's calibre wittingly led Indians towards freedom.

Ok, let me make it clear I am not casting aspersions on Bose's patriotism or his intentions or the fact that Indian Naval Uprising was inspired by INA and lead India to finally gaining freedom.

But it also seems to be Mohan Singh and Bose's trust in the Japanese was misplaced. 22000 INA soldiers from the 41,000 Indian prisoners in Changi were taken over to Rabaul to work on the tunnels in that island.

Ajit Vadakayil: NETAJI SUBHASH CHANDRA BOSE , UNTOLD SECRETS OF RABAUL TUNNELS- CAPT AJIT VADAKAYIL

Ajit Vadakayil: UNSUNG HEROES OF INA- CAPT AJIT VADAKAYIL

@Hermione

Ok, let me make it clear I am not casting aspersions on Bose's patriotism or his intentions or the fact that Indian Naval Uprising was inspired by INA and lead India to finally gaining freedom.

Ok.So we agree on this part.

But it also seems to be Mohan Singh and Bose's trust in the Japanese was misplaced. 22000 INA soldiers from the 41,000 Indian prisoners in Changi were taken over to Rabaul to work on the tunnels in that island.

Six companies of Indian soldiers were sent to Wewak, New Guinea and nine to Rabaul, where they faced horrible treatment by the Japanese. We all know that. But how much do we know about the battle of Rabaul? How was the Japanese supply line working? What are the similarities between Leningrad Seize and the South pacific archipelago?A bit of "out of the box" analysis will tell you how wars are fought and how much cruel it is.

But wait. Those soldiers were not in INA those days. They were serving under the British army. Did the British did enough to save Singapore? Were Malaya protected well enough against the obvious Japanese invasion? Was the fate of the Indian soldiers sealed much before the war began? My 5th grade history book says the soldiers were devoted to the enemy. This is not just incompetence but an inexcusable crime in military.These are some questions I would like to know the answers of, before accepting that INA and NSB's actions put "Indians" into further disarray. Thank you.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom