What's new

Why no declassification of Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose files?

I find a few claims regarding his actual fate very outlandish. How/Why would Nehru try to get him eliminated as many like to believe? Nehru himself was in prison till the end of WW2, and it wasn't until Lord Mountbatten assumed the Viceregal post that Nehru started finding favor with the British Regime. He was in no position to take any call on Netaji's fate in 1945.

Also, why would Netaji, who was a militant Nationalist, lead the rest of his life in India as a Sadhu/Sanyasi as another theory has us believe? Makes no sense whatsoever.

I still believe in the conventional theory about his death. I feel the legend behind his death has grown too strong for the Govt to convince the public that he died in a simple accident.This has led successive Governments to push for more time by constituting many silly committees. I'm afraid the public is in no mood to listen to anyone who says that Netaji died in a plane crash on that fateful day in 1945.

| Nobody accuses Mr.Nehru for the death of Netaji. Nehru might be anything but not a murderer. If somebody accuses him for the death of Netaji, God have mercy on him. But what must be investigated is his alleged role in covering up the mysterious disappearance of NSB. In 1978, the elderly Lord Mountbatten would receive a letter from the Indian High commission to London, accusing him of helping Nehru to cover up Bose's escape to Soviet Union. As eloquently Alex Von Tunzelmann describes in her book "perhaps the British did not want to pick up a quarrel with their erstwhile ally and Nehru did not want to have a rival."

| Netaji, living as a sadhu is just a speculation like many others floating around here and there with no solid circumstantial evidences. But again, he was not a natural fascist. So,NSB,living a life negating worldly affairs would not be a matter of surprise if somebody reads his books and life with patience and dedication. (He was an ardent reader of Swami Vivekananda)

| I would love to believe the conventional theories as it saves much of my reading time. But his closest ally Habibur's dubious testimony which kept changing frequently as the English weather and the GoI's hurried setting up of Shahnawaz commission, the person who had no credibility at all forces me to think again and again. The Mukherjee commission in the very recent past have quite disappointingly states the degree of resistance they faced from their home country. If an independent enquiry commission were let to work with free hand and came up in the end saying "yes, he died in plane crashes with this and this evidences" we wouldn't perhaps wasted a single second in this thread.

| Nobody accuses Mr.Nehru for the death of Netaji. Nehru might be anything but not a murderer. If somebody accuses him for the death of Netaji, God have mercy on him. But what must be investigated is his alleged role in covering up the mysterious disappearance of NSB. In 1978, the elderly Lord Mountbatten would receive a letter from the Indian High commission to London, accusing him of helping Nehru to cover up Bose's escape to Soviet Union. As eloquently Alex Von Tunzelmann describes in her book "perhaps the British did not want to pick up a quarrel with their erstwhile ally and Nehru did not want to have a rival."

| Netaji, living as a sadhu is just a speculation like many others floating around here and there with no solid circumstantial evidences. But again, he was not a natural fascist. So,NSB,living a life negating worldly affairs would not be a matter of surprise if somebody reads his books and life with patience and dedication. (He was an ardent reader of Swami Vivekananda)

| I would love to believe the conventional theories as it saves much of my reading time. But his closest ally Habibur's dubious testimony which kept changing frequently as the English weather and the GoI's hurried setting up of Shahnawaz commission, the person who had no credibility at all forces me to think again and again. The Mukherjee commission in the very recent past have quite disappointingly states the degree of resistance they faced from their home country. If an independent enquiry commission were let to work with free hand and came up in the end saying "yes, he died in plane crashes with this and this evidences" we wouldn't perhaps wasted a single second in this thread.

I find it very petty on the part of those who think that Nehru could not bear to have Netaji as a political rival. As you said, the man wasn't a murderer. But I think any PM could only have done so much at that time. He constituted an Enquiry Commission and gave it full freedom to inspect & interview anything/anyone it saw fit.

And wasn't Shahnawaz a good choice to lead the Commission. After all, he was one of the crash survivors. I'd think not having him lead the Commission would only fuel the conspiracy theories further.

I find it very petty on the part of those who think that Nehru could not bear to have Netaji as a political rival. As you said, the man wasn't a murderer. But I think any PM could only have done so much at that time. He constituted an Enquiry Commission and gave it full freedom to inspect & interview anything/anyone it saw fit.

And wasn't Shahnawaz a good choice to lead the Commission. After all, he was one of the crash survivors. I'd think not having him lead the Commission would only fuel the conspiracy theories further.

Only eye witness we had was Mr.Habibur Rahman. He initially gave his testimony that Netaji survived the crash with minor injuries which he changed later.

Only eye witness we had was Mr.Habibur Rahman. He initially gave his testimony that Netaji survived the crash with minor injuries which he changed later.
Sorry sorry....I got confused between the two for a while there...Do you have any links that document Habibur Rahman changing his eyewitness testimony?

Sorry sorry....I got confused between the two for a while there...Do you have any links that document Habibur Rahman changing his eyewitness testimony?

I have read some books which described these things quite articulately. Not just Habibur's continuously changing testimony but hundred other evidences too. But sadly those are in Bengali. You can read Anuj Dhar's "The biggest cover up". It's a very famous book about this subject.

Hindustantimes.com - the name India trusts for news

BTW, you can follow the link above.

I have read some books which described these things quite articulately. Not just Habibur's continuously changing testimony but hundred other evidences too. But sadly those are in Bengali. You can read Anuj Dhar's "The biggest cover up". It's a very famous book about this subject.

Thanks Babumoshay! :cheers: Will see if I can find it online...

Will probe Netaji’s disappearance after coming to power: BJP
BJP president Rajnath Singh revived the debate over the mysterious disappearance of Netaji Subash Chandra Bose on his 117th birth anniversary and promised to take steps to unveil it if his party came to power at the Centre.

“When the BJP will form the government at Centre, we will order for an inquiry into the mystery,” Rajnath Singh said after visiting the house where Netaji was born here and garlanding his statue.

The BJP leader said a lot of research and investigation was required to ascertain the cause and nature of Netaji’s disappearance in 1945.

The government of India till date has instituted at least three judicial commissions to probe the matter.
Will probe Netaji’s disappearance after coming to power: BJP | The Indian Express

Will probe Netaji’s disappearance after coming to power: BJP
BJP president Rajnath Singh revived the debate over the mysterious disappearance of Netaji Subash Chandra Bose on his 117th birth anniversary and promised to take steps to unveil it if his party came to power at the Centre.

“When the BJP will form the government at Centre, we will order for an inquiry into the mystery,” Rajnath Singh said after visiting the house where Netaji was born here and garlanding his statue.

The BJP leader said a lot of research and investigation was required to ascertain the cause and nature of Netaji’s disappearance in 1945.

The government of India till date has instituted at least three judicial commissions to probe the matter.
Will probe Netaji’s disappearance after coming to power: BJP | The Indian Express
hmm.. i can see some classified files on Netaji going missing soon just like Coalgate files!

Back
Top Bottom