What's new

Why is Pakistan swapping English for Urdu?

Bills are already printed in Urdu as well as English.

Passports also have both languages.

What's new?

As I have said before, baki dunia karay to it's "upholding national values", Pakistani karain to it becomes 'paindu' and embarrassing all thanks to the 'parhi likhi angrezi bolnay wali beaconhouse awaam'....people who think being liberal or secular means wearing jeans and speaking English with a 'dinga' accent.

Get a break folks...I hate Nawaz more than you do, but let's not criticize just for the fun of it.

Welcome to Soon-to-Be 'Al-Bakistan'..

Speaking Urdu means "Al-Bakistan" but speaking English doesn't make you "Inglistan"? Or teaching French in the more 'modren" schools doesn't make it whatever the French words is for Pakistan?

Why the double standards?

What does Urdu have to do with the Arabs.

Had it been Arabic in question, your point would have been valid.

But it's Urdu here, and that's Pakistan.

We already knew that Nawaz Sharif was R&AW's man in Pakistan! :D
If only.
His work has led Pakistan's growth rate to increase from under 3% to 4% now and will soon become 5% by next year. I would have preferred that Pakistan's growth rate remain at or around 4%.

Speaking Urdu means "Al-Bakistan" but speaking English doesn't make you "Inglistan"? Or teaching French in the more 'modren" schools doesn't make it whatever the French words is for Pakistan?

It was a rhetorical comment if you couldn't tell.

Anyways, English is much needed to succeed in the world today. Being Urdu-medium only isn't going to help anyone.

This is just a PMLN led patwari stunt to divert attention from all the sh*t storms that are circling around this government.

Absolutely NO reason to change anything. English and Urdu are official languages of Pakistan and must remain so.

National and official language should be the same. But English should continue to be taught.

Lmao! The world is moving forward, Pakistan under Nawaz Sharif is going backwards.

how is that going "backwards" :what:

Brother, it's not about 'dinga phidda angraizee accent'...... it's about the long term consequences of the move......... remember Zia's era - Where students had to go through two completely different 'mediums'? I know this move isn't aimed at changing the college level language, however, now imagine a situation that this move finds buyers amongst 97% uneducated fools of the country and gains some massive cookie points for Nawaz & Co, what will be next? You can bet your arse it will be "change all school languages to Urdu", and the only response you'll get from awam will be "Allah o Akbar", we've become more purer because we got rid of latin characters........... then what?

I'm not even against schooling in Urdu, Arabic or Martian, as I know the system can work, as in Turkey, however, for that you need a whole ecosystem of research and culture that has been going on for decades upon decades if not centuries to be successful..............

Whatever the case, as far as I'm concerned now (after much agony over the years of what happens to this nation), they can all study and work in any extinct language they wish....... after all it doesn't affect the top 1% of this country.......... which only means more cheap "naukrani / naukar / mozera" of the future for me and my progeny......

Excellent move indeed!

Bills are already printed in Urdu as well as English.

What's new?

As I have said before, baki dunia karay to it's "upholding national values", Pakistani karain to it becomes 'paindu' and embarrassing all thanks to the 'parhi likhi angrezi bolnay wali beaconhouse awaam'....people who think being liberal or secular means wearing jeans and speaking English with a 'dinga' accent.

Get a break folks...I hate Nawaz more than you do, but let's not criticize just for the fun of it.

All the Pakistani passports that i come across are only in English. It would be very good if it were in Urdu and English both.

Almost all the countries whose national language does not use Latin alphabets use their national language and English on their passports.

At least this is what i saw.

It was a rhetorical comment if you couldn't tell.

Anyways, English is much needed to succeed in the world today. Being Urdu-medium only isn't going to help anyone.

This is just a PMLN led patwari stunt to divert attention from all the sh*t storms that are circling around this government.

Absolutely NO reason to change anything. English and Urdu are official languages of Pakistan and must remain so.

English will still be taught in schools, will still be in use all over the place. Just not in official documents.

Just like it isn't used in official use in Russia, France, Italy, Austria, Germany etc.

Saw the recent conference in RUssia? There weren't even country names in English I believe.

All the passports that i come across are only in English. It would be very good if it were in Urdu and English both.

Almost all the countries whose national language does not use Latin alphabets use their national language and English on their passports.

At least this is what i saw.

It's the first page (the backside of the front cover) where your name and details are that is in English, I think that's due to a set international format. Correct me if I am wrong.

THe barcode on that page is of a set international standard, not confirmed about the text.

THe proceeding pages though have English and Urdu both...Visas and Passports is written in both languages if I remember correctly.

Hum sub ko (mubarak / badhai) ho! Imagine a situation, fifteen years into the future, where the most progressive and modern country of the subcontinent is Bangladesh.......... now that would certainly fvck my mind to the max!

Pakistan going to Arabic, India going to Sanskrit. Welcome to 12th century mate!

Brother, it's not about 'dinga phidda angraizee accent'...... it's about the long term consequences of the move......... remember Zia's era - Where students had to go through two completely different 'mediums'? I know this move isn't aimed at changing the college level language, however, now imagine a situation that this move finds buyers amongst 97% uneducated fools of the country and gains some massive cookie points for Nawaz & Co, what will be next? You can bet your arse it will be "change all school languages to Urdu", and the only response you'll get from awam will be "Allah o Akbar", we've become more purer because we got rid of latin characters........... then what?

I'm not even against schooling in Urdu, Arabic or Martian, as I know the system can work, as in Turkey, however, for that you need a whole ecosystem of research and culture that has been going on for decades upon decades if not centuries to be successful..............

Whatever the case, as far as I'm concerned now (after much agony over the years of what happens to this nation), they can all study and work in any extinct language they wish....... after all it doesn't affect the top 1% of this country.......... which only means more cheap "naukrani / naukar / mozera" of the future for me and my progeny......

Excellent move indeed!

Let's not talk on what ifs and thens and hyperboles...

Ok, just one question then....... will the 'official' language of courts also become Urdu? Even that would take tsix decades to accomplish......... all them gazillions of cases, laws (interpretation and what not)...... etc etc....

Mate, you're not thinking it through..... it's not that simple, on the contrary this is worse than.... maybe......... import of Wahabism.......

Off topic: You need to watch this series

The Brink (TV Series 2015– ) - IMDb

Let's not talk on what ifs and thens and hyperboles...

The government is set to make Urdu its official language, 68 years after the country achieved independence from Britain.
16 Jul 2015 02:04 GMT | Politics, Asia, Pakistan

Pakistan is to abolish English as its official language in favour of Urdu.

Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif is backing the move, which would mean a range of government documents - including passports, utility bills and websites - will be published in Urdu.

All speeches made at home and abroad, from the president down to state representatives, will also be conducted in Urdu.

The plan is to completely replace English with Urdu for official business within the next 10 to 15 years.

It follows concerns that many young Pakistanis are shunning their national dress and language to adopt a more Western point of view.

Is this part of a cultural and nationalist revival? Or will it lead to a breakdown in communications?

And how does this translate around the world?

Presenter: Richelle Carey

Guests:

Javed Siddiq - Resident editor at Nawaiwaqt, a leading Urdu newspaper in Pakistan.

Mandana Seyfeddinipur - Director of the Endangered Languages Documentation Programme at the School of Oriental and African Studies, University of London.

Olga Fischer - Professor of English Linguistics at the University of Amsterdam.

Why is Pakistan swapping English for Urdu? - Al Jazeera English
this is what represent us do usa swap it eng to urdu no becoz it is their language
gernans
french
whole EU talk in their language over english this step should have been took 4 decades ago atleast sensible act i support it it is what let us know what we are URDU is most clean language as far as bad words are

Ok, just one question then....... will the 'official' language of courts also become Urdu? Even that would take tsix decades to accomplish......... all them gazillions of cases, laws (interpretation and what not)...... etc etc....

Mate, you're not thinking it through..... it's not that simple, on the contrary this is worse than.... maybe......... import of Wahabism.......

Off topic: You need to watch this series

The Brink (TV Series 2015– ) - IMDb

I haven't read the complete notice so can't comment on the courts part. Just commenting on what the article says i.e bills, passports and government documents and speeches.

As for the series, yeah I've been watching it. The factual inaccuracies make me cringe though (I can't bear to watch any film with factual inaccuracies, but if it's Pakistan, things get even worse). But it's okay...khula mahol hai! (If you know what I mean :P)!

Back
Top Bottom